[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Popsci and 'easy science'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: Popsci.jpg (34KB, 800x295px) Image search: [Google]
Popsci.jpg
34KB, 800x295px
Why is /sci/ so opposed to popsci or dumbing down science for the masses? I don't understand. First of all, making science interesting is what will get the youth to major in STEM and help the average Joe to understand scientific advances.

For example, do you think it's right for children to be introduced to Chemistry by finding the concentration of a substance in mol/L? Of course not! That's absurd.

Bill Nye the Science Guy was an extremely dumbed down show to explain science to kids in a way that isn't the interest equivalent of styrofoam on dry toast.

Why do you guys hate this approach so much?
>>
>>7785870
because then we have to deal with faggots such as you
>>
Because FUCKING NORMIES REEEEEEEEE
>>
Muh sekrit club mentality.
>>
Because Bill Nye's show was on for years, and these motherfuckers in university physics have a hard fucking time adding components of vectors together. That's why.

PopSci causes people to think they understand things, when in fact, they still don't know shit. Then we have to deal with faggots like you.

And the shithead in a class I TA'd for last semester who was convinced that he needed to build a giant iron dome around his bed so that electromagnetic fields couldn't make him sick.
>>
>First of all, making science interesting is what will get the youth to major in STEM
This is not a good thing. The job market is already shit. Undergrads always spout the "lmao you're an english major? good luck getting a job in analyzing poetry" meme, but once you graduate you finally realize what a fucking retard you were for falling for it. My degree in chemistry is possibly one of the most worthless degrees out there.

I honest to God wish I went to a trade school. I'd be employed and happy.
>>
>>7785971
The job market is not good for any graduates over in the United States, anon.

Even petroleum engineering majors have hit a dry spot.

But you're much better off for having gotten a degree in STEM than you would have otherwise.
>>
>>7785968
>PopSci causes people to think they understand things, when in fact, they still don't know shit. Then we have to deal with faggots like you.
This. It absolutely does not make science more accessible. It tricks people (or helps them trick themselves) into feeling alright about not knowing. It's the great enabler of complacency in our age. It's also extremely difficult for these people to discern the innocuous simplification from the wildly sensationalized, baselessly speculative or outright pseudoscientific. Spend some time on foodbabe, naturalnews, greenmedinfo, or similar. See how much they look and sound like regular popsci sites? Who is profiting off that, and at who's expense?

>>7785870
>For example, do you think it's right for children to be introduced to Chemistry by finding the concentration of a substance in mol/L? Of course not! That's absurd.
Of course not, because that's not chemistry. It's multiplying by one and being told what "mole" means. Fuck knows why we teach it to kids as though it weren't intuitive.
>>
>>7785870
Pop science is a tool used by universities to get average people to enroll in science instead of the humanities.

Average people have no chance of even graduating so by joining STEM, they still have to pay tuition but the university knows they don't graduate. So in 2 years they drop out and the end result is that they gave a shit ton of money to the school but they did not inflate the job market because he dropped out.

Had average man gone to literature he would have graduated, thus inflating the market.

Honestly, I am all for it. The less qualified people in the market means higher salary for me, and the more retards paying money to university means lower tuition for me.

Thank you pop sci!
>>
>>7786191
>Fuck knows why we teach it to kids as though it weren't intuitive.

This so much. Why does this shit have to be taught intuitively? It really isn't, and a lot of what makes science interesting is that it goes against our intuition.

Chemistry, math, stats, and physics took ages and brilliant minds to develop. Now it's being made a joke of in secondary school and lots of post-secondary.
>>
>>7786210
You're fucking crazy desu senpai. They almost always do graduate, just switch to humanities if they cant hack it. Retention and graduation rates are one of those statistics they all try to impress you with. Deliberately setting the unqualified up for failure would be harmful to prestige. Which matters more to any legitimate university as a non-profit than shekels. That's exactly why you have to prove yourself to the admissions committee and let them accept or reject you.

If anything the STEM enrollment drives are a government conflict of interest that drive wages down and artificially enhances competition (i.e. for grant funding from the government.) In the cold war, "how do we get more and better scientists to fight the looming soviet specter?" was answered by "make the industry monopsynistic as all hell, let ten highly qualified professionals fight like starving dogs over a single grant, and america is sure to get the best deal!"

>>7786212
I'm pretty sure you misread my post, prophet bless you
>>
>>7786210
>means lower tuition for me.

Other way around
>>
File: daily reminder.jpg (131KB, 1024x412px) Image search: [Google]
daily reminder.jpg
131KB, 1024x412px
/thread
>>
>>7787043
Jesus, that hit a little to close to home.

I... I'll see you guys later. I need to go do some thinking.
>>
>>7787043
>posted on 4chan
the irony is real
>>
>>7787052
Does that somehow invalidate it? or are you just in denial faggot.
>>
File: 1352152661111.jpg (955KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1352152661111.jpg
955KB, 1920x1080px
>>7787046
You'll be back
>>
>>7787058
my point being if the guy feels that strongly about 4chan, why did he write and post it here

if nothing else the author is a hypocrite
>>
>>7787062
>hypocrite: a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

Please indicate were the poster said or even implied he was exempt from the criticism
>>
>>7787062
My dad recognized that smoking was killing him. Told everyone he knew to stop smoking, and was a hard ass about it on me especially.

Didn't stop him from doing in himself.
>>
>>7787043
>writing as if 4chan isn't some insecure high school /neet/ masturbatory club

Seriously, spend your high school awkward years here for keks
>>
>>7787046
Give it up. Join us in bathing yourself in the warm, soothing flow of mental diarrhea that is 4chan.
>>
>>7785984
This. The hard STEM jobs may be sparse, but a motivated engineer shouldn't struggle that hard to find work (provided you're willing to move), and after you get 4+ year of experience doors start to open up.
>>
>>7786212
I guess in some ways it helps understanding. Like in high school chem we were taught that electrons orbit the nucleus, then later we found out about QFT and realized that we had an overly simplistic view. Then again, without the maths knowledge we had no hope of understanding QFT in high school, so orbital theory was a necessary placeholder.
This could all be solved of course if they taught higher level maths in high school like the chinks do, but normies would hate that
>>
>>7787043
>>7787043
>Nobody is interested in the truth; people are battling each other for fleeting moments of superiority.
Bro, what you're describing is the real world. To a tee.
It's all about the lies everybody tells themselves, dogmatic ways of seeing both the macro and the day-to-day, how to pull others into the orbit of the ones your emotional/mental state is invested in and relies upon accepting, how and when to unquestioningly accept those of others to smooth out social interaction or for the comforting illusion of an understandable or justified society/human condition or for genuine fear of rational inquiry, and ultimately Lenin's "who will overtake whom?"

SJWism. Other identity politics. Most any neatly prepackaged political or religious beliefs AND the fashionably contrarian. Cultural attitudes. It being "correct" to drop two months salary on an engagement ring made with common material artificially held to an absurd price and "incorrect" to discuss your salary with anyone but your boss, even though competitive markets require free information. Because everybody just goes along with it.
Ever go to a high school party where the cops broke it up and let the host off with a stern warning, then you get to school on Monday and overhear some kid saying the guy was arrested while running around naked and screaming with a needle in his arm? You honestly think they give a fuck about the truth? No, because it's not an entertaining story. Because rather than learning or growing as people they're addicted to that thirtieth minute kek and pressure-free social interaction built around tearing someone else down. Battling each other for fleeting moments of superiority.

"4chan: remember, you're here until you die" never referred to the actual site.
>>
>>7787195
2 hours and that's all you got?

I see deeper shit from high schoolers
>>
>>7787212
lol k
>>
>>7785870

OP, you're being too vague.
/sci/ doesn't hate all pop-sci fags, just those who make our board shit
>>
>>7785870
If you're really trying to get kids involved you need them to understand that science isn't all baking soda and vinegar.

There are people who make it all the way to their freshman year of uni all hyped up about going off and learning about interesting stuff like black holes or some shit, but instead what they get is a lot of boring classes and a lot of reading boring publications. These kids then get frustrated with school because they wanted to have fun and learn about exciting stuff, but instead they got classes that are hard and boring.

At some point you need to teach kids to appreciate the hard/boring classes,and I don't think bill Nye, or Pop Sci in general, do a very good job of that.
>>
>>7786210
>Average people have no chance of even graduating

How's that superiority complex treating ya you insecure sperg? You do realize that it's not at all improbable for an average normie to graduate in hard /sci/ if they can just be bothered to put in the effort to study a little harder than their peers.
>>
>>7787062
If you have a message addressed to the citizens of 4chan, then why would you post it anywhere but 4chan?
>>
>>7787043
I can't quit.
>>
>>7785870
>to be introduced to Chemistry by finding the concentration of a substance in mol/L

Yes? Because it's incredibly trivial.
>>
It's moving the dumb people away from trades. Now we have a saturation of shitty scientists and a lack of trade workers.
>>
All the smart people are going to end up with dumb people jobs and all the dumb people are going to end up with smart people jobs.
>>
>>7785870
>For example, do you think it's right for children to be introduced to Chemistry by finding the concentration of a substance in mol/L? Of course not! That's absurd.

Physics teacher here, tell me about how I should dumb down those kids
>>
>>7785870

Umm, no, it isn't. Because there is no way to understand chemistry without it. The purpose of education is, strangely enough, to make educated people (at least in their subject), not cretins, who think they know chemistry after seeing some dank reactions. It's only a small fraction of chemistry, you know.
>>
>>7785870
4chan elitism
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.