[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

KHAN ACADEMY WEEKLY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

File: Untitled.png (68KB, 1308x619px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
68KB, 1308x619px
How many energy points did you earn this week ?

What are you working on ?

Mission progress ?

pic related is what I'm doing. brainlets only, no high iq shitposters needed. some of us are 25+ iqlets brainwashed by pop math into wanting to underachieve intellectually so don't spoil these threads for us
>>
File: 3243242ffff.png (33KB, 830x472px) Image search: [Google]
3243242ffff.png
33KB, 830x472px
>dat distributive property
>dat rigorous reasoning to obtain a value for y

makes my peepee firm, /sci/
>>
File: 34g43g4.png (73KB, 928x628px) Image search: [Google]
34g43g4.png
73KB, 928x628px
feels so good to get those correct answers

thanks uncle Sal
>>
File: mmmmm.png (50KB, 1278x575px) Image search: [Google]
mmmmm.png
50KB, 1278x575px
dem energy points, feels so good

>mirin avatar, /sci/ ?
>>
No one is impressed that you can solve equations that 10 year olds are expected to be able to solve
>>
>>7783767

mensa pls go this is a brainlet only thread
>>
Mods?
>>
>>7783767
>hurr durrr I z so szmart I make fun of others trying to learz.
You sound like a retarded mouth breather. These people are trying, and don't fucking put them down. I have a PhD in Mechanical Engineering and at least they're honest about their math level on 4chan. You, on the other hand is acting like a know it all faggot who has yet to show his
>>
>>7783736
How do you draw so well in the scratch pad? My writing on it us all squigly and it takes me ages to write an equation.
>>
>>7783846
it's about mouse mechanics and going fast without thinking

make sure youre sitting up straight in your chair and your mouse arm is lying flat on the surface

use the part of your wristbone on the outside as a pivot. where your hand moves perpendicular to your wrist, jam the bone that lines up with your pinky as a pivot. same thing applies to playing RTS games.
>>
>>7783854
it should actually kind of hurt and put pressure on the bone if youre doing it right but this will go away with time. it takes some getting used to but will also give you a healthier wrist in the long run.

you should easily be able to flick the cursor all over the screen without actually moving your hand at all and with muscle memory your movements will be more accurate and consistent in the long term.
>>
>>7783854
I tend to be slumped over when I'm on my laptop, so I should probably fix that.

Also, my hand shakes a lot when I'm anxious/nervous.

I notice they shake a lot when I'm asked to pour a solution into a beaker/flask.

I just have shitty confidence, I guess. It would explain why I need Khan Academy in the first place for maths.
>>
It is fairly addicting while you also learn something.

Brainlet power!
>>
>>7783767
That's just mean. If you haven't got better things to do, head over to KA. You might learn a thing or two.
>>
Khan academy helped me a load for integral calculus. Taking my exam for calc 1 tomorrow; wish me luck!
>>
File: 5.jpg (12KB, 352x352px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
12KB, 352x352px
>>7783767

Soulless chink detected
>>
>>7783836
>I have a PhD in Mechanical Engineering

right on bro, I want to get that far in my education as well.

Hey I'm getting out of the military soon and was wondering what would be a great way or method to study mathematics and science?

Do you any known effective methods that help you out and would like to share them?

I've heard of the Cornell method of note taking and the Pomodro technique anything else worth mentioning?
>>
>>7783732

Sal is a great guy.
>>
Great site, great mission. I even donate to them monthly, and I've never donated to anything before.

>inb4 Sal shills
>>
>>7783858
I'm left-handed for writing, though. How fucked am I?
>>
I have some questions:

Do you pay anything?
How do you advance?
Is it worth it?
>>
>>7784016
you pay nothing
you advance basically by doing 3-5 question quizzes on each skill
Yes
>>
>>7784016
>Do you pay anything?
no
>How do you advance?
Well, you can just pick a topic you want to learn about and watch the video/do the exercises given to you or do the "coach" thing where you'll start with very simple math and based on an algorythm you're tested on and taught more and more advanced topics.

>Is it worth it?
It's really addicting to get points and badges for doing tasks and watching the lessons. /sci/ elitists will cry about khan explaining things very thoroughly but he is easily better than about 90% of professor you'd get in a regular uni.
>>
>>7783962
And you're a braindead mexican.
>>
@ everyone here

you are awesome for continuing to learn
don't stop
ever

regardless of what the psuedo intellectuals on this board say

it's never too late to start learning
>>
>>7783732
Trigonometry round two is kicking my ass. Fuck you sinusoidal functions, your beauty is marred by how fucking tedious you are to read off a graph/make into a graph.
>>
>>7784255
sinusoidal are easy as fuck to graph. especially the ones they make you do when you first learn trig.
>>
>>7784021
>>7784023
Where do they get their money from?
>>
This is fucking preschool math
>>
>>7784278
Phase shift just fucks my shit up. If I'm tired I'm guaranteed to get the sign wrong. I literally did 57 problems before I got 5 in a row correct.
>>
>>7783732
Khan is amazing, took me from algebra II right through to differential equations, which allowed me to get waived out of 2 maths courses, and saved me a fuckton in tuition as a result
Based sal khan
>>
>>7784288
Donations are their primary method. They also do some outreach and fundraising, since they're an actual business now. They're also nonprofit so less taxes. They also get support from schools and the college board (not money but just advertising).
>>
>>7784011
not fucked at all, just use the outside part of wristbone bone on whichever hand
>>
File: lkFvqb0.png (846KB, 760x968px) Image search: [Google]
lkFvqb0.png
846KB, 760x968px
>>7783732
respect for posting OP

Currently putting KA on hold till school starts next week

Meantime researching the workings of the forex market and playing around with trade simulators. Don't like it as much as the stock market for long term goals but it could be and interesting tool to play with for short term gainzzz.
>>
File: fxscreenshotsim.png (387KB, 1366x721px) Image search: [Google]
fxscreenshotsim.png
387KB, 1366x721px
>>7784565
mostly green so far too
>>
>>7784567
>Net profit: $7.48
.... tf are you doing
>>
>>7784572
just small trade of a couple hundred shares as I did my reading, nothin fancy
>>
>>7783963
For me the most effective technique has always been to just read the material, look at lecture outlines and notes, and try practice problems. If you're talking about a ground up understanding, easier science texts along with Khan Academy will take a while, but will definitely give you a concrete understanding.
Source: MechE at UC Berkeley.
>>
Good job for putting the effort.

I've been using MATLAB for a while, and while it's pretty good for a lot of calculations, it's only used for analysis. Been trying to explore out of my comfort zone and look into some more solid coding.

So I've been getting into the Python lessons in Code Academy myself. I'm aware that Code Academy Pro is needed for all the more nitty gritty stuff, but I'll be hopping to other bigger projects/lessons after I got the basics down pat. Let's hope we'll both get far.
>>
File: 5.jpg (44KB, 522x411px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
44KB, 522x411px
I've been really enjoying this. I have some brain problems which result in legitimate learning disabilities and math has always been a tough subject for me to comprehend and understand. The highest I got to in HS was Geometry which I failed, then passed on round two. Only did up to College Algebra and basic STA2201 in university.

I started three days ago and plan to *try* getting as far as I can from the very beginning. So far, my stats are in pic related and I have 262,054 Energy Points. The only thing I'm not a big fan of are the forced "cooldowns" between certain levels or Masteries of a specific topic but I have no choice but to deal.

All in all, I'm excited that I found out about this.
>>
>>7786098
I'm proud of you anon
>>
>>7786264
Thanks dad.

I'm worried about how I'll do once I progress a few more "tiers". I was skimming through and saw that things like statistical probabilities crop up within the 7th Grade section. Plus basic algebraic concepts always threw me for a loop but I do remember enjoying them once I learned how to do them. I can only hope that I manage to learn the concepts and know-how on my own through practice and videos. Also trying to do maths in my head as much as I can without resorting to using a calculator.
>>
>>7783767
I barely remember even basic arithmetic.

Mad at how stupid I am?
>>
>>7784567
what's up with that font rendering?
>>
>>7786325
I'm finishing up trig and stats/probability soon

The issue is I'm doing these in off time at work, and don't have any speakers. So, I have to figure everything out by skimming through videos and looking at whats written down in the video rather than having it explained. Through trial and error I'm getting through it. I started really having trouble in Algebra 1 with exponential functions and figuring out how to graph logarithms based solely on seeing examples. Practice practice practice.
>>
>>7786423
Earphones/earbuds/headphones.
>>
>>7786502
Can't, sadly
>>
>>7786423
I can only hope that I actually understand it from watching the videos. Most the time, I have to have somebody directly explain something to me before I truly comprehend it, and even then, it may take an exceedingly long period of time and I may not even grasp it at the end.
>>
>>7786558
Stop selling yourself short, you scrotum.

I had to waste my entire teenhood studying this shit, not only because I wasn't particularly smart, but also because basic calc and matrices were part of the highschool curricula here.

But the discipline and studious habit built up from all those years helped me cruise through uni. So it's not the destination, but it's the journey that matters.
>>
Best way to do Khan Academy is to try to figure out how to solve them on your own. It's the struggle that will make you really learn cause you will be come up against as far as your common sense goes on its own. This will be how you push your common sense further so that you actually understand math and not just rote memorize it. The videos are just to give you a helpful push, but ignore their motives. Just listen for the answers to the questions you have in your own mind bout solving it that you can't seem to figure out. Once you have that, don't waste your time and continue thinking and solving the problems.
>>
What do the energy points do, +epeen?
Also, im genuinely curuous, why are you guys doing this, is it like a braingame sorta thing?
>>
>>7786567
Fair enough. I possess no study habits (never learned anything that stuck with me throughout public education) and my major only requires Stats so I still feel as if I'm starting from the beginning. Not that I mind but I've struggled with maths for a quarter of a century and I am apprehensive.
>>
File: Ki1Z3FD.jpg (44KB, 500x516px) Image search: [Google]
Ki1Z3FD.jpg
44KB, 500x516px
>>7784210
This
Didn't even know what akgebra was and sarted at exactly the same place as OP, about three years ago

Learned some math and science, and got into college. Now studying biochem and thinking about doing an MSc
>>
>>7787880

Really? I hope you guys are telling the truth and not filling me with false hope : (
>>
>>7783732
>>7787886
Its true anon, it works
>>
>tfw there was an actual large portion of /sci/ that were actually normies that didn't pass highschool math

For how much /sci/ STEM circlejerks, this is surprising.
>>
>>7788310
Not always we are good at what we are interested in
>>
I TA'd precalc during my Bachelors. I wish I had people like this in my class, but most whined endlessly and got mad at you when they did shit on an exam even though it's their own damn fault, I was even a rather generous grader. Cheers to you guys for actually doing something and being proactive.
>>
>>7786098
What are those K- things? I don't have them
>>
>>7788424
K is kindergarten. Actual preschool level stuff like counting
>>
>100% a section
>go back later
>xx% completed
I know the reason stated is that they "added a bunch of new content to this section" but AHHHHHH I want to fully complete a part and be able to move on to the next section or tier without worrying. Oh well.

I'm assuming this entire "game" set-up is relatively new?
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.