[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So guys, I have been accepted to some high tier US graduate schools

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

So guys, I have been accepted to some high tier US graduate schools for chemistry. I've done inorganic chemistry research for the past 2 years but I find myself hesitant to sign on to a PhD program because it's like being a slave to my PI for 5 years. There's no guarantee I'll even do any research that is cool or useful.

How did you guys justify getting your PhD?
>>
shit how do you know you've been accepted? it's only January.
>>
>>7782308

I applied to 8 and have heard back from 6. I've heard that the longer it takes for schools to get back to you the less likely it is you get in because they wait to flat out deny people in case people reject offers of admission.
>>
>>7782312
Was your deadline Dec 15th? Because it was for mine (physics phd programs) and most of the places said wait until march to hear back.
>>
>>7782320

It was December 15th. Maybe this is just a difference between physics and chemistry. Good luck!
>>
>>7782346
Thank you friend. Best to your situation as well. If I get in to the top tier unis I applied to, I'll be sure to make a thread with a fat dog as well.
>>
what schools?

I actually have a buddy getting his chem PhD at UNC Chapel Hill and he couldnt be happier
>>
what has your research been in (specifically), and what areas have to applied to join?
>>
>>7782298

now SIT THERE UNTIL YOU'RE NOT FAT.
>>
OP, it's hard to justify a PhD in chemistry, physics, or biology in this market for 99% of people. Only you can decide if it's worth the risk of ending up in at a dead end with no reasonable job prospects at the end.
>>
>>7782616
Why are there less jobs for a PHD in Chem etc than a ordinary degree in it?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.