[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the best book for learning multivariable calculus?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: calcbook.jpg (153KB, 768x944px) Image search: [Google]
calcbook.jpg
153KB, 768x944px
Is this the best book for learning multivariable calculus?
>>
It was pretty good for single variable. I have the exact same book and will be comparing it with Sallas's or so this semester.
>>
>>7781889
pretty solid. This book got me through my E&M course with an A.
>>
>>7781889
stewarts isbetter
>>
>>7781889
Yes.
t. I have the book.
>>
Spivak Calc on Manifolds bro.
>>
>>7781889

This book is literally high school tier.
>>
>>7782148
Is there a book that isn't high school tier, or are you just a shitposter?
>>
>>7782162

You should be able to derive calculus from Rudin.
>>
Rudin
>>
>>7782125
>>7782171
>>7782205
>>These fellows are meme posters. Spivak's calc on manifolds is total drivel. Rudin is a reference text for people VERY familiar with analysis.
>>
>>7782222
Thank you for the advice anon

After reading the OP what should I read?
>>
>>7782222
>total drivel
Not him, but is it really that bad? I ended up using Munkres because I couldn't find a readable pdf.
Also Rudin recommendations for cookbook multivar calc are a quite conspicuous form of trolling but it takes all kinds harder than you took that b8 so w/e
>>
>>7781889
I don't trust expensive-ass texts with eleventy-billion editions, but you could do worse than Larson if you must (looking at you Stewart).

>>7782288
If you want something to break it down rigorously after you understand it (think multivariable Spivak, but actually good unlike >>7782125), take a look at this.
It will (like Spivak) fuck your ass if you aren't ready but it's a god-tier book if you are.
>>
>>7782304
It's fairly bad. I wouldn't call it total drivel, but yeah.

The problem is that Calculus on Manifolds is essentially "okay, how can we get to Stokes' Theorem in the fewest amount of characters?"

Which is a cool idea but it results in everything being condensed to the point of being barely comprehensible and skimming over/skipping anything that's not directly relevant.
>>
Im looking for a rigorous approach to multivariable calculus that also has some exercises on applications. any recommendations
>>
what's a good book for a reintro?
>>
>>7781889

The best books by level:

>Weak
"Div, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus" by Schey
"Calculus With Analytic Geometry" by George Simmons
"Elementary Calculus: An Infinitesimal Approach" by Jerome Keisler (Uses infinitesimals)
"Calculus of Several Variables" by Serge Lang

>Intermediate
"Calculus, Vol. 2: Multi-Variable Calculus and Linear Algebra with Applications to Differential Equations and Probability" by Apostol
"Introduction to Calculus and Analysis, Volume II" by Richard Courant and Fritz John

>Advanced
"Advanced Calculus of Several Variables" (Dover Book) by C. H. Edwards Jr.
"Advanced Calculus: A Geometric View" by Callahan
"Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach" by Hubbard and Hubbard
"Advanced Calculus: A Differential Forms Approach" by Harold M. Edwards
"Advanced Calculus" by Shlomo Zvi Sternberg and Lynn Harold Loomis (for the utterly fearless)

>Analysis
"Functions of Several Variables" by Fleming
"Analysis on Manifolds" by Munkres
"Calculus on Manifolds" by Spivak
"Differential Forms and Applications" by do Carmo
>>
File: 1377009908553.png (6KB, 252x256px) Image search: [Google]
1377009908553.png
6KB, 252x256px
>>7782222
>Rudin is a reference text for people VERY familiar with analysis
>>
>>7782329
>what's a good book for a reintro?

Why do you not want to use a regular calc textbook for a reintro?
>>
>>7781889
eh, don't know if it's best for multi. For 1 and 2 Larson was good, shaky afterwards
>>
>>7782343
i dunno. what's a good regular calc book then?
>>
>>7782347
Larson's gotten a couple of nods already in this thread. Take the hint, mang.
>>
>>7782350
k
>>
>Idly d/l a copy of Larson for the hell of it
>Skim through the preface
>See all the covers of previous editions
>2nd edition was my high school calculus textbook from 25 years ago
>Wave of feels

Whereever you are, Mr. Morgan, bless you; I wouldn't have made it this far without your help.

>CAPTCHA: Select all images with a school bus.
>More feels
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.