[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Science experiment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

I've been trying to think of a new science experiment. I want it to be spectacular. I don't know if it will work though. Can you do some checking of my work?

The plan is to get a string magnet and accelerate it with the help of a spring to a few hundred meters per second, then have it pass through a magnesium ring.

The magnet needs to impart enough energy into.the magnesium ring that it heats up to.The.point of ignition.

Can this work? Can the spring get the magnet going fast enough to induce enough heat in the ring to get it hot enough to.combust?
>>
So what are you trying to do? The point of an experiment is to test a hypothesis.
>>
>>7781133

My hypothesis is that the ring will explode with material I can easily and cheaply procure.
>>
Why do you think the magnesium will ignite from a supersonic magnet passing through it?
>>
>>7781148

I can't buy the means to get the magnet going supersonic speed. I do think I can get maybe 200m/s which is just twice as fast as a paint ball or airsoft slug.

I think the magnesium will.ignite from the voltage induced in it according to faradays law.
>>
Maybe an electromagnet would be better.
>>
IF the magnesium ignites it would produce the bright blue flame would it not? i remember it from high school chemistry, you should be careful of that.
Also Magnesium is not magnetic, where would the energy come form that is igniting the Mg
>>
>>7781189

It's faradays law.

V=-d/dt(flux)

The ring material doesn't need to be magnetic. Otherwise no inductor or transformer would work.since they are made.If copper wire.
>>
>>7781139
Ok so what do we gain from this experiment that we don't already know?
>>
What are your variables?Or are you just seeing if one size of Mg ring will ignite after one sized/power of magnet is used.
>>
>>7781213
/thread
>>
>>7781139
The point of an experiment is resolve cognitive dissonance. That is to test a theory.

We already know that if a magnetic flux [math]\Phi(t)[/math] changes quickly with time, it will induce enough current to heat and ignite the Mg ring in the presence of oxygen.

Which means, in theory, if the spring and magnet were strong enough, it would heat up the ring to a burning point. If it burns the ring, everything went according to your theory.

But you're experiment might not do that, and you're left with the conclusion that your magnet was not strong enough or your ring was too thick or there was to much air resistance. But non of these conclusion falsify your theory, so this experiment is useless.
>>
So no one here can do a simple order of magnitude calculation?

I just get pages of troll replies and not one number?
>>
>>7781314

Because this "experiment" is stupid and pointless. Do it yourself, no one else cares.
>>
>>7781603
>Because this "experiment" is stupid and pointless. Do it yourself, no one else cares.

An order of magnitude calc just takes a few minutes. You can't invest 5 minutes in this because of internet troll reasons?
>>
File: 1445195650567.png (782KB, 490x1015px) Image search: [Google]
1445195650567.png
782KB, 490x1015px
>>7781729
>An order of magnitude calc just takes a few minutes
>You can't invest 5 minutes in this because of internet troll reasons?
>which is why I've made the effort to ask on /sci/ instead of simply doing it myself
flawless reasoning
>>
>>7782203
>>which is why I've made the effort to ask on /sci/ instead of simply doing it myself

Read the op I'm asking for for someone to.check my work. I've done the calculation myself. I just want a second.set of eyes before I go and order materials.

What's with the incessant trolling? I'd imagine someone with sincere interest in science could.just do some math and come up with a simple answer if it will.work.or not.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.