[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the immune system so unbelievably retarded?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: K_htbw_immune-cells1[1].gif (15KB, 436x158px) Image search: [Google]
K_htbw_immune-cells1[1].gif
15KB, 436x158px
Why is the immune system so unbelievably retarded?
>>
It's actually very complex, but microorganisms are too good at adapting.
>>
>>7778993
>Giving personality traits to what is literally a process.

Go back to /b/, someone already got the get. You can leave now.
>>
>>7778998
No, I'm saying why is it so fucking stupid it attacks the body like ALL of the time?

I have several autoimmune diseases and holy shit evolution sucks if it can't figure this shit out.
>>
File: 1451834688697.gif (545KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
1451834688697.gif
545KB, 500x275px
>>7778999
>mad at people having a little fun with words
Are you autistic?
>>
>>7779002
are you american?
>>
>>7779007
Are you retarded?
Yes, yes you are.
>>
>>7779002
>evolution
>figure it out
go back to school
>>
>>7779011
see:
>>7779006
>>
>>7779009
no need to get defensive, burger
>>
>>7779019
no need to shitpost angrily euro "overrun my muslims" cuck
>>
Retarded? OP, you are retarded. All of life is a war, survival of the fittest, from the smallest micro -organism to largest mammals.
Every single second your body is at war with virii, bacteria and ITSELF in a battle to survive evolution and mutation.

Your immune system is the most sophisticated war machine known.
>>
>>7779028
>Your immune system is the most sophisticated war machine known.
Then why does it attack healthy tissue?
>>
>>7779028 here
Like to add, i only just read your post re autoimmune diseases. That sucks. But my comment above still stands firm, evolution is a constant bio-chemical battle... sorry for your illness man.
>>
>>7779032
No war machine is perfect.
>>
>>7779032
As i understand it, the chemical keys get altered so the cells recognise 'your' cells as invaders.

Frankly, if your doc has not explained this in detail to you then you need a new doctor...
>>
>>7779046
>As i understand it, the chemical keys get altered so the cells recognise 'your' cells as invaders.
why doesn't it know that it's your own body?

>>7779041
>sorry for your illness man.
thanks
>>
>>7779054
>why doesn't it know that it's your own body?
Maybe you could answer the reverse question: How would it know it's its own body?
>>
>>7779054
Basically the immune system has to be taught not to trigger a response when it detects proteins on the surface of harmless substances, including self cells, meaning that normally immune cells which are self-reactive are destroyed or inactivated.
Autoimmunity is obviously a breakdown of this system and the cause/reason behind it varies depending on the condition and this is something I'm still learning myself.
>>
>>7779022
>cuck
so, american and retarded, just confirming
>>
>>7779071
>took ages to reply
Busy prepping the bull eh?
Enjoy, yuropoor.
>>
>>7779079
sorry for having a life, tubsy
>>
>>7779002
that's not how evolution works...
random changes happen and only those conducive to a healthy species in a given climate survive. ideally that is (ideal in terms of the function of evolution, not ideal in terms of desirable to humans).
currently, many people and animals have biologically undesirable traits, but are kept alive to satisfy human desires.
>>
>>7778993
>Why is the immune system so unbelievably retarded?

The most complex system in your body that requires countless cells to suicide in order not to create an auto-immunological problem, with a separate system that allows storage of antibody information within separate group of cells.

>Hurrr durr retarded
>>
>>7779082
ah, so getting cucked by african muslims is your life, got it
>>
>>7779002
Blame modern healthcare that saves every person with minor and major health problems and allows them to procreate. I'm not advocating eugenics, just stating the fact. We halted evolution of our species, and without introducing splicing we will face consequences pretty soon.
>>
What diseases do you have OP?
>>
Do autoimmune issues ever fix themselves?

Why doesn't your body have a backup system to realize when it's attacking yourselves?

Why can't your cells release signals that they are being attacked by your immune system so your immune system realizes this and stops attacking it?
>>
>>7779093
>We halted evolution of our species
Not true just look at all the adaptations to malaria that are so prevalent in Africa.
>>
>>7779100
1. Most often they don't
2. It has. Disease happens when the systems fail.
3. Those signals would obviously be used by viruses and bacteria to prevent an immune response, thus killing us.
>>
>>7779103
>Africa.

Poor healthcare. And you realise that Sickle-cell disease can actually be fatal, right? It's no evolution just side effect of rbc being fucked up, so they can't store the parasyte. They are too small.

>>7779100
>>7779104
>it has.

No it does not. Autoimmune diseases happen often when the pathogen has a similar protein structure to your own cells. (That's why some cases of diabetus are caused by viruses - the similar structure starts a cascade of faulty cells attacking its own cells). It's all chemical gradients and proteins that work in a simple key-keyhole manner. No real "intelligence" behind this system. No decision making.

>>7779104
>3. Those signals would obviously be used by viruses and bacteria to prevent an immune response, thus killing us.

Also incorrect. This does happen, immuno mimicry is nothing new, just look at common parasites.
>>
>>7779120
It's evolution because there is an increased amount of people with sickle cell in areas where malaria is more common. It provides an selective advantage. Same as other mutations like non-expression of Duffy protein.
>>
File: 1402500683655.gif (2MB, 280x203px) Image search: [Google]
1402500683655.gif
2MB, 280x203px
sort of rusty

Immunity can be broken up into two parts, innate and adaptive immunity. Innate immunity consists of a variety of general responses that have evolved over millions of years to differentiate between microbial and self components. It's the initial response during an infection and does not adapt to different pathogens. Examples include complement system, Toll-like receptors, and innate cell types (neutrophils, NK cells...)

Adaptive immunity is primarily coordinated by B and T cells and takes time (days-weeks) to mount a pathogen-specific attack. It's important to note that B and T cells evolve new receptors on a daily basis and go through a series of checkpoints to determine if that cell reacts too strongly to self peptides. If a self reactive cell gets through then there are ways to render it harmless (anergy or suppression by T cells).

Autoimmune diseases occur when some part of self tolerance breaks down and the adaptive response is directed towards normal healthy components of the body. Three ways this can happen are
1. antibodies directed against cell surface components
2. immune complexes deposited in tissue
3. effector T cells

I mentioned a series of checkpoints earlier that B and T cells go through during their maturation phases. This screens new cells for auto reactivity. Even when functioning properly some self reactive cells move into the peripheral. If left unchecked they can trigger an adaptive response against healthy cells.

Both environmental and genetic factors contribute to autoimmunity. It's important to realize that the immune system is not perfect.
>>
>>7779124
>It provides an selective advantage

It also often makes you suffocate if you are a homozygote, not much of an advantage here. It gives you a 50% chance of your offspring being immune to malaria and 25% chance of it dying. Pretty faulty evolutionary mechanism if you ask me, but I guess it's evolution nonetheless.
>>
>>7779152
>It also often makes you suffocate if you are a homozygote
That's why heterozygotes are more common.
>>
>>7779152
Having that gene in the population is better than not having it. A lot of people benefit from it's effect, a small minority gets the disease.

Being a heterozygote for the gene is an advantage. That is why the gene still exists, and why it is present in such a large portion of the african population.
>>
>>7779167
I have genes that gave me celiac disease

why are these aleles still in the population?
>>
>>7779191
Why shouldn't they be? You stop eating gluten. You stop being sick. You reproduce, thus spreading the allels. It doesn't kill you (usually) pre-pubescent so it spreads, as other genes do.
>>
>>7779191
Because it's not a monogenic disorder. Having genes that predisposes a person to develop it doesn't mean it will happen. Thus, the genes can stay in the population.
>>
Who cares. The immune system will soon be replaced with nanobots that is control by a super intelligent AI coordinating attacks on pathogens, parasites, cancerous cells and rogue immune systems.
>>
>>7779228
What are you going to do when IS hacks into your immune system though?
>>
>>7779230
convert to islam
>>
>>7779244
I am already practising my Allahu Akbar. I get a bit stuck in the Akbar but it's just a matter of time.
>>
>>7779032

>Your immune system is the most >sophisticated war machine known.
>Then why does it attack healthy tissue?

IT'S A CIVIL WAR!
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.