[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is medicine part of STEM?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1

File: surg.jpg (67KB, 584x388px) Image search: [Google]
surg.jpg
67KB, 584x388px
Is medicine part of STEM?
>>
>>7772394
A Doctor is STEM but a pharmacy technician is not.
>>
medicine is bro science
>>
>>7772645
S - Sociology
T- Tourism
E- English
M - Medicine
>>
>>7772394
lol, I poasted it again guize!
>>
Well medicine is based on scientific principles, but then again so are the trades. I wouldn't consider a surgeon to be a scientist for the same reason I wouldn't consider an auto mechanic to be a scientist; both professions just work with technology that was discovered by scientists and developed by engineers.

A physiologist is a scientist of the human body. A physician is a highly paid trades-worker who barely understands what a p-value is.
>>
>>7772394
Yes, because it's applied SCIENCE.
>>
>>7772645
What about a Nurse? An Nurse Practitioner? A Pharmacist? An x-ray tech? A radiologist?
>>
>>7772774
What about hotel management
>>
>>7772774
No yes no no maybe

Depends on whether you need actual science skills to do the job
>>
>>7772394
It's a combination of science and technology. Of course it's STEM.
>>
>>7772657
What?
>>
It's the M part.

>implying maths is empirical enough to be stem
>>
Practice is not.

Research is.

Just like repairing cars is not STEM, but engineering automobiles is STEM.
>>
>>7772652
legit kek
>>
>>7772665
Kek. Bet none of you are in the health sciences. While it's true that many medical doctors are pure practitioners, there are also many who are doing research, especially those attached to research hospitals and universities. Many hold PhDs in addition to their MBBS. Clinical research is impossible without involvement of medical doctors.
>>
>>7772394

Yes, it's an applied science. The M stands for math though.
>>
>>7773193
The M stands for
(hotel) Management
>>
>>7772394
>Is medicine part of STEM?
>STEM
>M
What do you think?
>>
>>7772394
No, the US Department of labour doesn't classify it as such.

>>7772645
No, a pharmacy technician is STEM.

>>7772651
Medicine is not a scientific discipline. It's far older than science.

>>7772772
No, applying results from science does not make it an applied science.
>>
Medicine is one of the oldest and well insulated guild systems in the entire world. It is not science, just good business.
>>
>>7773097
>Just like repairing cars is not STEM, but engineering automobiles is STEM.
Jesus you're clueless.

Techs are STEM you halfwit. That's the T which includes tech degrees

Your problem is you're trying to associate STEM with prestige. Being a labmonkey is not prestigious. The only prestigious part of STEM is E and even that barely holds its own against the big boys like Law and Medicine.

When people use the word STEM meaning useful and desirably degrees they aren't talking about M and they're only talking about the trade like degrees in S like geneticists, biotechnologist etc. since those actually get jobs that don't involve teaching high-school kids or serving alchohol.
>>
>>7773106
Clinical medical research is not scientific research, it's medical research.

Just because it's "research" does not make it science, but that logic a History postgrad is doing scientific research.
>>
>>7772774
Radiology is a medical specialty. Also, technology.
>>
>>7772394
of course medicine is NOT a part of STEM. it artificially prolongs the life of dim-witted mongoloids like you,OP, asking retarded meme questions. medicine practiced in the spirit of the good dr. mengele of greater germany however is a hard science.
>>
Is Pharmacy major a STEM field?
>>
>>7772394
It's better than STEM
>>
>>7773721
I don't know man. I'm contemplating on going back to the medical field. The loans, and the your young adulthood for the price of making 90k then up years after.
>>
>>7773226

kek
>>
>>7772789
I heard there crazy big money in that, along with tourism studies.
>>
>>7773835
>I heard there is crazy big money

That is why it is now saturated as fuck and there is no point in studying any kind of management if you are cabout money.

It is just like every CS major heard that there is big money in software and now it is also saturated as fuck.
>>
>>7773247
wtf are you talking about? Law is cool, but it is severely overcrowded right now in most western countries. Every fuckboi thinks they're gonna be a lawyer.

I think all the good/respectable undergrad degrees and professional degrees are as follows. Not necessarily good money, but they at least contribute to society:

Law
Medicine
Physical Sciences like Geology, Physics, Chem, Biochem, etc. (I.E. NOT sociology or any of that bs)
Engineering of most disciplines
Math
Comp Sci and all its sub disciplines
Business and Economics (accounting and all that shit)

Second Tier. These are majors that are kind of lame, but at least fill a role of sorts of society and the best in their fields are usually well off and make an important impact on society:

History
Psychology
Sociology
Some Fine Arts
Kinesiology
Architecture

Shit tier. These shouldn't even be real majors. The only reason they exist is as a money grab by universities and so they can say that they offer XXX many programs.

African/Indigenous Studies
Jewish/Religious studies
Women Studies
Drama and film studies
Hotel management and tourism
Food sciences
Human/development sciences (aka sociology for those who were even too stupid for that).

^These should not be legally allowed to exist. Their only purpose is to take easy money from stupid chicks who dont realize they can't get a job with it.
>>
>>7773860
kek I was joking. There is no money there, obviously.

I disagree about comp sci though. I think there is still some space in the industry.
>>
>>7773872
>There is no money there,

There used to be though. When you work in a hotel you are directly working for a billionaire and if you are managing their entire hotel then you will always get over 6 figures.

As the hotel industry grew, more retards (read: people who can't into STEM) realized this by reading magazine articles that were funded by the same billionaires so that they can start paying their hotel managers less and immediately thought 'I want six figures but I am a dumbfuck. This is the place for me' and now every retard has a business or management degree.

It is a sad story. 6 figures starting quickly became unemployed starting.
>>
>>7773872
Sorry, forgot to read the rest of your post.

>there is still some space

Indeed there is but there is a problem. Companies who just want 'quick and dirty' code no longer hire mediocre CS students but instead outsource to India. This means that the only companies that hire the average CS graduate are really patriotic companies.

However, the big companies like IBM, Google, Facebook, etc. still only hire exclusively the best computer scientists out of Ivy leagues. So only the best of the best. The average CS graduate will never have a shot at these companies and the amount of 'patriotic' companies are steadily decreasing because Ramanujam only charges 5 cents an hour.
>>
>>7773867
>Food sciences
>Shit tier

What the fuck man? Food technology is a fucking awesome study field, pretty hard too, you get a huge knowledge of chemistry. You can always find a job with that too because food is essential for people, you can put it in the same category as need for drugs and medical aid.
I'm not a food science student but putting it in shit tier is just wrong.
>>
>>7773867
Move CS to shit tier
>>
>>7773908
You make a fair point. This is just my opinion, after all.
>>
>>7773929
I think it highly depends on the type of CS. Software development is good, graphic design is trash. Highly variable.
>>
>>7773867
>Law is cool, but it is severely overcrowded right now in most western countries.
Perceived prestige =/= oversaturation/reality.

>I think all the good/respectable undergrad degrees and professional degrees are as follows.
Key word being >I<. The general public does not think of math or physical science as being prestigious at all. Not even the science fanboy reddit crowd alleviates that. It's associated with "teachers" and not in a Japanese sense where that is actually something respectable.

>Physical Sciences like Geology, Physics, Chem, Biochem, etc
In terms of actual money and employment prospects technologists beat most of these too.
>>
>>7773908
All specialties are a meme. People should be studying chemistry and then specializing in food science instead of studying a watered down meme degree.
>>
>>7773976
You are talking out of your ass.
I know a girl who's studying food tech and she's getting pretty serious knowledge of chemistry there.
No need to study the chemistry itself before going for food studies, that's just a waste of time.
>>
I thought that's what the M stood for
>>
>>7773238
>Medicine is not a scientific discipline. It's far older than science.

It depends, do you consider naturalists scientists, or do you think that science only started when the scientific method was made by Francis Bacon? If the first, then science is older than medicine.
>>
>>7773976
I would agree with this. If you're smart, why paint yourself into a corner?
>>
>>7773970
Wtf is a technologist? My spellcheck (Opera) doesn't even think it's a real word. If you are referring to operators of shit like xray machines and that crap, that's mostly nurses with nursing degrees
>>
>>7772394

IMO, probably not.

Nowadays, STEM is the catch-all term that refers to science/math/engineering degree holders in op-eds in the lay press to decry the shortage of BSes and MSes, or in commentary in scientific journals for PIs to bitch about less PhD students going into academia.

One key difference in the job markets of MDs and of STEM PhDs is that the MDs' job market is tightly regulated by the American Medical Association: there is a limit in how many medical students are admitted each year. In addition, there are governing bodies for each specialty or sub-specialty.

On the other hand, there is no governing body that oversees the training of PhDs. The funding for PhD programs has increased over the last several decades, but the number of faculty jobs has remained (relatively) constant. As a result, there is a dearth of academic jobs and, thus, an excess of PhDs. This has stimulated discussion in the scientific community (in academia and in industry), on the value and role of STEM graduates in the economy.
>>
Medicine is applied STEM.
>>
>>7774487
>Quality posting in a thread containing the word STEM
where the fuck am I?

And OP I think it is its own beast because while you'll study STEM subjects it is an entirely different profession with completely different job oppertunities, even if research oppertunities are quite similar.
>>
>>7773867
Put nursing in second tier
>>
>>7772394
medicine is applied/ clinical pharmacophysiology
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.