[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
What are some major examples of correlation...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 800x604) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 800x604
What are some major examples of correlation =/= causation in science and health?
>>
Increasing world population =/= CO2 emmission
>>
>>7772046
increase in circle jerking atheists ≠ scientific progress
>>
Increase in gains =/= more womyn
>>
>>7772046
>correlation is not causation
That's just what they WANT you to think
>>
>>7772046
measured brain activity =/= consciousness
>>
Link to the study proving sharks dont prefer to eat people who have been eating ice cream vs people who have not.

Otherwise you are full of shit.
>>
I love these
>>
>>
Meme growth =/= Quality rise in memes
>>
>>7772054
That's quality bait
>>
time spent on sci =/= competence in science
>>
>>7772054
this desu senpai

>>7772568
full naive white guilt
>>
>>7772542
kek'd
>>
File: correlation.png (191 KB, 800x559) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
correlation.png
191 KB, 800x559
>>
>therefore sharks prefer to eat
>people who eat ice cream
QED
>>
>>7772623
That's backwards. More autists = more people buying jewfood
>>
>>7772046
gold watches causing fatness
>>
File: 1446036554460.jpg (27 KB, 480x336) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1446036554460.jpg
27 KB, 480x336
>>7772046
you do understand that nobody knows what causation is ?
>>
>>7772046
increased availability of free internet porn not causing or caused by raise in unemployment

actually, I'm not totally sure that one is true...
>>
>>7772046
Here's an interesting one.
A French study showed a correlation between regular but not excessive wine consumption and a longer life expectancy. The researchers suggested that it was due to the presence of antioxidants in wine.

Similarly, a British study showed a correlation between regular but not excessive whisky consumption and a longer life expectancy. However, whisky doesn't contain any significant amounts of antioxidants.

It was later established that regular but not excessive consumption of expensive alcohols like wine or whisky is something higher classes of society do, and that these classes had better living standards (food quality, hygiene, access to health, conditions of work, etc.) and in consequence, had a longer life expectancy.
>>
>>7772542
literally laughing right now
>>
>>7772046
How do you know there's no causal link there?

Increased shark attacks might be making tourists more nervous causing to consume more sugary comfort food.

I postulate that if you kill all sharks people will stop eating ice cream. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>7773311
Given that you are assuming a causation exists, the burden of proof here lies with you, therefore I implore you to prove yourself correct, not ask us to prove you wrong.
>>
>>7773320
I suppose you're right.

I'm off to flood the Japanese suishi market I guess.
>>
>>7773320
> increased shark attacks are in direct correlation with increased tourist population near the sea.
> CURRELATON IS NOT CAUZATON
this is you
>>
I'm glad to see there is no causation between the increased radiation spread around chernobyl and mutated babies born around that area at the time.
>>
>>7773311
If this was the case then the number of shark attacks would be even higher than it is during summer.
Summer => More people at the beach => higher probability of a shark being in contact with a human => higher probability of a shark attacking a human.
Summer => more people eating ice cream => people more attractive to sharks (according to your hypothesis) => even higher probability of a shark attacking a human

>>7773320
I honestly believe that the burden of proof lies on both sides all the time.
>>
>>7773178
Fuck, I heard about that
I was hoping I could drink alcohol and be health
>>
>>7772504
>>7772046
How do you distinguish between correlation that appears purely coincidental (like that between of Age of Miss America and steam murders), and stuff like OP pic which is actually explainable by a chain of causal links?
>>
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

Take your pick.
>>
>Correlation is not causation!
This is true. However, notice that correlation does IMPLY causation (in the mathematical sense of the word "imply").

In the sharks-and-ice-cream example, the fact that the two variables are correlated does indeed imply a causal link -- that is to say, it implies that the two events are caused by the same underlying phenomenon (summer).

Correlation implies causation, in full generality. Silly appears to fallacies notwithstanding.
>>
>>7773356
>the burden of proof lies on both sides
That anon is saying the causation is unproven not false though.
>>
File: 1451378946323.jpg (46 KB, 635x960) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1451378946323.jpg
46 KB, 635x960
>>7773320
>Given that you are assuming a causation exists, the burden of proof here lies with you, therefore I implore you to prove yourself correct, not ask us to prove you wrong.
no, the burden of the proof lies with the guy claiming a statement. if you claim ''there is no causation, only correlation'' you must prove this.
>>
>>7772046
This is actually yet another confirmation that correlation *is* causation. These two events have a common cause ie hot weather.

Correlation (assuming it's not due to chance) does tell you there is a causal or logical relationship but it does not tell you the direction.

The direction can be a->b, b->a, c->a an c->b or combinations of these (eg a<->b).

> OP is a retard, probably did a biology major and therefore cannot math.
>>
>>7772504
These correlations are not statistically significant because they are derived from trawling vast numbers of statistics looking for a spurious correlation. If you correct for this fact, you can confirm that the results are not statistically significant in context.
>>
>>7773394
>>7773416
You just don't understand what "correlation implies causation" means.
Correlation implies causation means that if A and B are correlated then either A => B or B => A. This is false, so correlation does not imply causation, end of line.

Stop playing the smartass.
>>
>>7772504
Fucking margarine. I told her not to eat it, that fucking slut.
>>
>>7773568
lol margarine
just eat butter
>>
>>7772046
Recreative drug use = good grades
Diversity = innovation
Racism = low intelligence
Poverty = low education
>>
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/you-cant-trust-what-you-read-about-nutrition/
>>
>>7773741
>Racism = low intelligence
> implying that it is not true[
nice meme
>>
>>7772546
What's with all the mozzarella in 2007?
>>
>>7772386
I didn't come here to feel
>>
>>7773787
Spotted the butthurt reddit lurker.
>>
>>7775312
There were a lot of civil engineering doctorates that year
>>
>>7775408
:^)
> le reddit

Spotted the unoriginal, anus ravaged faggot :'^)
>>
>>7773741
>drugs are bad kids! DON'T DO DRUGS
>>
>>7776114
48/2(9+3)
>>
File: 1445962651417.jpg (164 KB, 1116x537) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1445962651417.jpg
164 KB, 1116x537
Suppose someone sees through the boorish naivete of this famous concept of "free will" and manages to get it out of his mind; I would then ask him to carry his "enlightenment" a step further and to rid his mind of the reversal of this misconceived concept of "free will": I mean the "un-free will," which is basically an abuse of cause and effect. We should not erroneously objectify "cause" and "effect" like the natural scientists do (and whoever else thinks naturalistically these days) in accordance with the dominant mechanistic stupidity which would have the cause push and shove until it "effects" something; we should use "cause" and "effect" only as pure concepts, which is to say as conventional functions for the purpose of description and communication, not explanation. In the "in-itself" there is nothing like "causal association," "necessity," or "psychological un-freedom."
>>
>>7773298
liturgically laughing at you, in church reinnow
>>
>>7775312
There was an earthquake in Italy and some storages where cheese was ripening were destroyed. For some reason they had to sell all the cheese as fast as possible

srs
>>
>>7772504
hahaha thats great
>>
>>
>>7772046

Neither are caused by good weather, either.
>>
The link between cigarette smoking and lung cancer.
>>
>>7779402
>cigarette smoke doesn't cause cancer, stroke, miscarriage, etc etc
lol
>>
>>7779407
It doesn't cause any of those things, it's a very small negligible risk factor for those things and it rarely (if at all) causes cancer.
>>
>>7772046

What's at issue is the usage of language.

Although not coterminous, it is also not true that correlation does not imply causation, where "imply" is used in its natural language sense of "suggest" (as opposed to its strict logical connective sense), as statisticians and trained undergradautes frequently and wrongfully characterize the matter.

Quite the opposite, correlation DOES imply causation in the natural-language sense, that when there is an obvious pattern or comparison between two phenomena that one wishes to understand in greater detail, what becomes necessary to human cognition is to tell some sort of story which fits the data, or otherwise find new information which fills the story in. Summer explains the events of Jaws; other less obvious or uknown factors may be at play. But the point is that if understanding is the goal, some deeper inquiry must be made, one way or another. If it were really true that correlation does not imply causation, then in one sense we would never seek to explain or understand patterns to begin with.

Anyone who has ever managed a business in any capacity knows perfectly well that when something is going wrong, or some undesirable pattern emerges, it is reasonable (and frequently, though not always correct) to make an initial assumption that x causes y. Usually, but of course not always, this is vindicated.

The better and more intellectually honest rephrase, in natural English, is: "Correlation does not NECESSITATE causation, but when you see a pattern... check it out."
>>
>>7772504
>Middle one
>Divorcees consuming margarine over butter in order to lose weight and attract a new spouse
Not that hard to believe.

Also
>All dem non-zeroed scales
>>
>>7780011
>"imply" is used in its natural language sense of "suggest"
>natural language
get out
>>
>>7780011
>what becomes necessary to human cognition is to tell some sort of story which fits the data, or otherwise find new information which fills the story in.
necessity is the explicit confession of your inability to think otherwise. when you say that a thing is necessary, it is you who expresses your wish to see it that way, but then turn the thing into and object in order to tell people that it is not not your personal choice to characterise the thing as you do, so that people are ''forced'' to accept your view. the day you understand that nothing is a necessity in the empirical world is the day you stop being an animal.
>>
>>7773412
That pic's honestly kind of ironic, because Sanders doesn't really give a shit about guns.
>>
Kids who read a lot of books get good grades.
>>
>>7775410
kek'd
>>
>>7773395
Honestly, shark attacks being related to ice cream is not that far-fetched. Ice cream has a tendency to make people fatter and thus more attractive to sharks, thus a causal link using inductive reasoning has been established. No need to prove anything with inductive reasoning.

Ice cream is probably the only reason sharks kill anyone now that I think about it.
>>
>>7780181

Reading has a high correlation to higher grades and fMRI experiments have shown conclusively that reading not only activates the part of the brain that is concerned with language processing but areas around it. The same experiments have also shown that the areas around the language area remaining active for hours, even days after reading.

So basically, reading activates big parts of the brain and it is reasonable to assume this leads to better grades over time.
Also, avid readers are generally speaking avid readers because they are more interested in a wider range of subjects, and are more curious.
So basically

>Kids who read a lot of books get good grades.

They do.
>>
>>7772046
in most professional sports, most of the athletes are born early in the year ->being born in january-march means you'll be more athletically gifted

that's obviously false, it happens because the youth levels are arranged in yearly classes, so those born earlier are more developed than those born late and therefore have an advantage. over the years it accumulates, they receive more coach attention and are generally regarded as the star players
>>
>>7780242
Wouldn't it be more likely that more ice cream is eaten in summer when people are more likely to be at the beach?
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11
Thread DB ID: 403464



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.