[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I get the hardest integrals you have to study calc 1?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20160108_172102.jpg (14KB, 348x242px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160108_172102.jpg
14KB, 348x242px
Can I get the hardest integrals you have to study calc 1?
>>
>>7770659
[math] \int\limits_\mathbb{R} {{e^{ - {x^2}}}dx} [/math]
>>
>>7770664
Note that this (and many other integrals) can be determined using dimensional analysis. I recommend the book "Street Fighting Mathematics" (its free google it) for that and many more useful techniques.
>>
>>7770659
[math]\int{ \frac {(1+x^2)dx} { (1-x^2) \sqrt {1+x^4 }}}[/math]

Not an easy integral.
>>
Find the first integral of (x * arctan(x^2))

The hardest you'll find for anyone in calc 1 because inverse trigonometric derivatives and integrals bridge into calc 2.
>>
>>7770684
I'll one up you with a shorter and still reasonable problem.
[math]\int { \sqrt { \tan{x} } dx } [/math]
>>
File: Work.jpg (257KB, 540x4295px) Image search: [Google]
Work.jpg
257KB, 540x4295px
>>7770690
Also, here's the step by step process for this.
>>
>>7770695
This is exactly why its not a reasonable problem.

I could imagine seeing that in calc 2 for a take home problem to test yourself.
>>
>>7770695
wtf
>>
File: Work2.jpg (48KB, 696x578px) Image search: [Google]
Work2.jpg
48KB, 696x578px
>>7770695
Easier way.
>>
>>7770659
Compute primitive of 1/sin x, that's fun as far as I remember
>>
>>7770659
Strange, I started integrals in Cal 2
>>
If you can't solve at least one of these your calc 1 course is unrigorous and you should find a better learning resource

[math] \int_0^\infty \frac{1+(\frac{x}{b+1})^2}{1+(\frac{x}{a})^2}\frac{1+(\frac{x}{b+2})^2}{1+(\frac{x}{a+1})^2}\cdots dx [/math]

[math] \int_0^a e^{-x^2} dx [/math]
>>
>>7770817
[math] \int_0^\infty \frac { 1+(\frac { x } { b+1 } )^2 } { 1+(\frac { x } { a } )^2 } \frac { 1+(\frac { x } { b+2 } )^2 } { 1+(\frac { x } { a+1 } )^2 } \cdots dx [/math]
Ftfy, (\frac {} {} not \frac{}{})
>>
>>7770820
Thanks, I checked my brackets like 3 times after...
>>
>>7770659
The indefinite integral of egg is chickhen + constant
>>
>>7770825
Protip, whenever you do anything in LaTeX here, just open up wordpad (which I'm pretty sure comes with all windows computers) paste your code, press replace, "{"->" { " & "}:->" } " It doesn't really matter how many spaces. I'll actually test below if it accepts 20 spaces.
[math]\frac { \tau \epsilon \sigma \tau } { \tau \epsilon \sigma \tau } [/math]
>>
>>7770844
Or just test it with LaTeX locally?
>>
>>7771014
/sci/ can't do \frac{}{}, and also \sqrt{} sometimes messes up without spaces, so do some other functions. That was the point of my post.
>>
OP here, is there a guide or book to learn integrals apart from this?
>>7770669

I'll take a look at that as well of course.
>>
Integrate [math]\displaystyle {1 \over \sqrt{2\pi}}\int e^{-x^2/2}\,dx[/math]
>>
>>7771120
"Calculus made easy" is a great book to start calculus with. I would then recommend you move on to Series immediately and understand integration and differentiation from the lens of Series (the relation between the exponential, polynomial and trigonometric functions is truly a thing of beauty). Finally, as a last step you should look at the geometric foundations of calculus (e.g try deriving the trig derivatives using only geometry).

Also don't forget that calculus like anything else, is only a tool. Never use a sledgehammer where a screwdriver will do.

Good luck.
>>
>>7771280
What about Granville? Also, what do you recommend for excercises?
>>
>>7771284
Can't speak for Granville as I've never read it myself. However from a quick browse online, it reads a bit denser then "Calc made easy". I recommend "Calc made easy" because its very short and gets straight to the point.

If you find you need to brush up on algebra and trig before tackling calc, I can recommend Pre-calculus by Axler.

Finally for exercises, I personally used the sample tests/problem sets on the MITocw course for calculus. Stewart's Calculus also has good problem sets. Whatever you decide to use, make sure you have the solutions to the problems readily available. This is probably the most important part, because you don't want any mistakes or misconceptions to compound.

Good luck.
>>
>>7771302
Thanks pal.
>>
>>7771259
gonna need some limits on that integral, buddy boy
>>
>>7770659
Integral of egg with respect to what, anon?
>>
Barnett Triple Integrals
>>
>>7771881
Well, Hen = Egg dx, so x.
>>
Elementary, my dear Watson.
>>
>>7770800
what did you do in calc1? lol
>>
>>7772325
theory of calculus?
>>
>>7771259
top kek
you don't need calculus for this baby
>>
>>7771259
well if you've done some stats it's easy to know the answer but the derivation of it is not that simple
>>
File: 1451704388328.png (44KB, 500x148px) Image search: [Google]
1451704388328.png
44KB, 500x148px
>>7771280
>never use a sledgehammer where a screwdriver will do
>>
>>7770659

x^x
>>
>>7773197
>Unfortunately FLT is not strong enough to prove √2 irrational
Every time
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.