[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to study?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 11

File: banner.jpg (431KB, 1470x590px) Image search: [Google]
banner.jpg
431KB, 1470x590px
What are some methods that actually work to improve one's study habits? Sure I could Google, but maybe you guys have something actually backed up by non-meme studies
>>
>>7769873
Not that anon, but i'm curious, is it possible to give up social life temporarily to pursue grades? Would that loneliness come back to fuck your efficiency up in the long run?
>>
>>7769874
Why do you have to hijack the thread with your /r9k/ shit?
>>
>>7769875
Nah man, i just want to stop going out with friends for like half a day, and then coming back tired and exhausted, then sleeping and wasting away the day.
>>
well since I dropped all my classes last semester due to my internet addiction, I'm gonna make my parents confiscate my computer from me
I think something similar will be good for you
>>
When I'm studying organic chemistry, I have to use a lot of willpower. I open the book, take a deep breath and don't allow myself to breathe out and breathe in again before I read a page or two.
Only way to keep myself going through this shit.
>>
>>7769886
How is that working out? I need to stop wasting time, my gpa is hurting currently
>>
I just get high as shit and read through my Textbooks making notes in the margin. I'm quite proud of the doodles I made in my quantum mechanics textbook, and modern astrophysics textbook.
>>
>>7769886
Studying without computer/internet would probably be negatively affect my efficiency by a lot

I was thinking about doing this http://tomato-timer.com/

and wrote down some random tips from random people

lists of tasks to accomplish during studying
put off pleasurable events until work is completed
review notes on same day
skim relevant chapters first
short chunkcs with regular breaks
food high in veggies and low i nsugar aids concentrantion

- unfocused studying results in boredom and lower productivity
>>
>>7769903
Study high
Take tests high
Get high scores!
>>
>>7769874
You got the same 24 hours as everyone anon. Just make a schedule and follow it religiously.

Ex.:
8 hours sleep
8 hours study + school
8 hours misc shit (eat, socialize, gym, etc.)
>>
>>7769920
I actually do math better on the devil's lettuce.
>>
>>7769951
>8 hours study + school
if you are majoring in woman studies this is ok.
just socialize 15 minutes outside of classes and on friday nights if you're doing a serious major.
Don't drink alcohol or you won't be able to study the following day, don't give too much importance to social life.
>>
>>7769898
I haven't started this semester yet, but my parents did confiscate my computer after I fucked myself with the previous one. Being at home with nothing to do besides masturbation, I did start reading over the notes from said semester
>>7769907
Certainly I will still have access to my computer but under my parents' direct supervision
and not just the
>haha yea just give me 10min to check my emails while in my room
>>
>>7769980
>living with your parents
high school doesn't demand studying
>>
>>7769985
Yes Mr. I got 36 ACT doing nothing.
>>
>>7769985
but it's expensive otherwise
>>
>>7769980
>studying at a University
>needing guidance from parents

Seriously, ...
Education alone won't do it. Studying is a lot of growing up and getting some independence.
>>
File: South-Korea.jpg (1012KB, 2880x1800px) Image search: [Google]
South-Korea.jpg
1012KB, 2880x1800px
>Sure I could Google

Sure you could Think. Oh you can't think? Then why are you asking a question if you can't verify the answer?
>>
>>7770021
fuck off
>>
>>7769968
lol
>>
>>7770025
No.
>>
>>7769873
First if you want to study stop hope google is the solution
Work with friend in whatever you study, it's how i start work at university, and do a lot of exercice/exam of the past year
>>
File: 1451021540454.jpg (152KB, 1033x798px) Image search: [Google]
1451021540454.jpg
152KB, 1033x798px
>>7770010
I thought of leaving home but I might just end up committing sudoku
>>
>>7769888
The fuck?
>>
>>7769907
>pomodoro

What do people do when they got distracted during the work time? How do they 'punish' themselves?
>>
bumping 'cause i need this shit

i fucking floundered my way through high school, barely passed most classes, never ever studied for shit

now i'm like the super-senior to end all super-seniors in uni, and i MUST build up the skills to study effectively; otherwise sudoku is imminent, as i will have completely fucked my prospects
>>
>>7770207
1. Don't procrastinate, do whatever you need to achieve that
2. Study the important aspects of each subject, don't give too much attention and time on details. I don't know how they do it in your UNI, do they send programs for all tests, like what the test will consist of? If so, don't read the whole book, just focus on what's in the program.
>>
>>7769968
>graduate
>get job
>nofriends.jpg
>shoot self
>>
>>7770207
https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn/

TL;DR version:
- pomodoro (basically conditioning your mind to enjoy 25 min of focus)
- mind mapping
- chunking
- memory palace
- spaced repetition

Those are pretty much all the techniques humanity developed when it comes to learning.
>>
>>7769873
I use a lot of flashcards, and I do 1 hour of problem sets per morning/afternoon/evening

>>7769888
Did your parents beat you as a kid? what kind of tactic is that?
>>
It's as easy as studying ahead by one day.
>>
>>7770308
>flashcards
what kind of shitty degree are you doing where you just need to memorize shit
>>
>>7770057
>>7770308
It's just how hard and boring studying organic chemistry for me is as a pharm student.
>>
>>7769888
Yeah similar tactic for me too, I remember when I was teaching myself linear algebra. I'd stab myself and wouldn't stitch myself back up until after I finished a page. I'd also shoot myself in the foot every time I got stuck on an exercise.
>>
>>7770511
This
>>
What are some good ways to stop procrastinating?
>>
>>7771514
actually wanting to learn what you're supposed to be studying
>>
>>7771514
Do it for her
>>
File: 1443408723837.jpg (45KB, 625x540px) Image search: [Google]
1443408723837.jpg
45KB, 625x540px
>>7771522
>tfw unironically use my waifu to motivate myself
there is no hope for me
>>
PO-MO-DO-RO

the answer to everything time management
>>
>>7771649
I'm trying pomodoro today for the first time seriously, and I'm honestly exhausted after 3 x 25min sessions with 5 minutes break. My head hurts and I can't take it anymore.

What do
>>
How the fuck does one initiate a study session? Whenever i want to study i have to force myself to sit there, hold my breath and sit down. Then i get into the shit, it's usually painful at the start
>>
>>7771797
take a one hour break, then repeat. if your head hurts a lot after that, then stop for today.
Repeat tomorrow
>>
What to do in this situation:

>too stupid to understand concept well enough with the given examples
>not enough examples even on internet
>can't do the exercises because don't understand well enough
How the fuck can I understand? Do I just have to keep staring at examples blindly and scribbling until I get it right in small pieces?
>>
File: justin4.png (1MB, 1400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
justin4.png
1MB, 1400x1000px
>>7771535
>waifu

what are you, a faggot?
>>
>>7771885
You could talk to your professor...
>>
What are some legal, non-prescription nootropics other than nicotine?
>>
>>7771885
Writing your own script to generate yourself examples.

>thanks matlab + maple
>>
I study by,
>read section or do couple problems
>quick shitposting break
>read section or do couple problems
>quick shitposting break

hasn't failed me yet
>>
>>7769968
>Don't drink alcohol or you won't be able to study the following day, don't give too much importance to social life.
If you have to sacrifice so much for your studies, change major, you're aiming to high...
>>
>>7772167
Your time at university should be an extension of your career. For some people it can be the biggest factor in their lives. I don't see what's wrong with giving advice such as "Don't get wasted everyday" or "don't spend all your time on Facebook". Maybe it's you who's not sacrificing enough. Are you a freshman?
>>
>>7772180
Yea sure, but the way u live life in college should reflect the way you'll live it later. If you have less than 1h a day to do anything but study, you will end up hanging yourself, not even joking...
>>
>>7772180
also not a freshman, but i am only a second year undergrad, however i've got some good friends in gradschool for maths and one studying physics, I know how much they study we hang out a lot and live a happy life and still pass.
>>
>>7772193
Okay, but you seem to not understand the difference between not prioritizing social contact and completely shutting yourself off from people.

>>7772188
You're completely wrong, and I'm absolutely sure you have never had a job
>>
>>7772233
>You're completely wrong, and I'm absolutely sure you have never had a job
So your parents, who i assumed had jobs, literally had less than an hour a day to do other things like idk make food/raise u clean the house?

Also dude literally said:
>just socialize 15 minutes outside of classes
probably bait but people do live closed in like this
>>
>>7772251
You left out the part where he said "on Friday nights", now fuck off brainlet
>>
>>7770504
No, you've just killed too many brain cells doing that retarded bullshit
>>
>>7772265
fuck it not gonna argue with you, have fun killing yourself in your mid 30's ;)

PS: Use pills, but use enough, less clean-up for us
>>
Try to never strictly memorize anything. Never move on from a topic until you understand it intuitively and can "play with it" to get any result you want from the range of possibilities.

In the rare case where memorization cannot be avoided, use flashcards.
>>
>>7772276
Haha okay dude, but I plan on killing myself in my late twenties.
>>
>>7770246
No, it's

>graduate
>get job
>nofriends.jpg
>save up lots of money
>travel, fuck prostitutes, do drugs
>offer several woman money to have your children until you have a dozen kids
>do whatever the fuck you want
>>
>>7769873
I dont do timetables and stuff, I tend to just revise and study when I'm feeling it and go for aas long as I can. I do this because if I set myself like a 4hour block where I say I'll study I could sit down, have other crap on my mind, be unfocused or whatever and yeah I get 4 hours WORK done but it's not good work. I'll come back a da later and be blank on it, whereas I know an hours god work where i['m motivated I'll get alot done and really concentrate and get it done right
TL;DR fuck timetables, you know when you want to learn and what you gotta get done. Don't be a flashcard faggot and lie to yourself about how much you're getting done.
>>
>>7772288
>graduate
>get job
>nofriends.jpg
>loose virginity to hookers, cry during intercourse
>pop xanax like tictacs
>decide to move out of mum's basement
>hang yourself in mum's basement
>>
Scheduling your study routine and setting reasonable goals is the first step.

Removing any distractions is the second step.

Having discipline and determination is the last step.
>>
>>7769888
>Steve-o_laughing.jpg
>>
>>7772324
it feels like they're all super related between them...
>>
File: 1401367097037.jpg (26KB, 528x224px) Image search: [Google]
1401367097037.jpg
26KB, 528x224px
How much do you repeat/revise concepts and practise on them that they will truly stick?
>>
Is there a method that documents how to keep studying?

Like how much to read before classes, how often to revise notes, how to take notes, etc. Something that's documented in a book and has a following and a philosophy
>>
>>7769888
my sides
>>
File: 1452026405717 (1).jpg (42KB, 500x488px) Image search: [Google]
1452026405717 (1).jpg
42KB, 500x488px
I'm at uni studying medicine and I can work hard for about 2hrs before I lose all motivation and start fucking about.

Any tips besides taking adderall to keep going for 5-6hrs?
>>
>>7772545
Read the text before the lecture. So you will be reading the chapter you are to discuss, BEFORE the lecture on that chapter. Take notes is optional but recommended for higher level subjects, math and hard sciences. Humanities, notes are optional. If science or math, do practice problems, for dense material do them for every chapter. For easier subjects practice less frequently. Re-read notes and do practice quizzes before every exam and quiz.
>>
>>7773954
Tomato timer with 10 minute breaks
>>
>>7769907
>Studying without computer/internet would probably be negatively affect my efficiency by a lot
You'd be surprised.
>>7769920
Don't actually do this>>7770476
>what kind of shitty degree are you doing where you just need to memorize shit
Not all of us are good enough with complex algebra to derive trigonometric integrals and derivatives from Euler's formula (especially when you're just in calc2)

Just don't study where you sleep
Study around people
Start your tasks as soon as you possibly can. If you decide to wait now why wouldn't you decide to wait later?
>>
>>7770476
At the moment in my degree I just need to learn all the bones and most muscles in the body and what nerves innervate them, thats just pretty much memory so flash cards are good
>>
>>7774304
>memory
>not try to understand the material to the point of it being knowledge rather than repeating a bunch a words
>>
>never take notes
>pretty much disconnect during every lecture cause i can't pay attention
>study only before the exam
>do past papers, practicals and read through slides
>top 10 student
>top 100 university
>final undergrad year
i keep hearing people saying they were cruising through high-school and in university they had to get serious and stuff. maybe it'll happen to me in grad school? btw got accepted to cambridge yesterday lol
>>
>>7774588
How long before the exam do you revise, and do you have 'photographic' memory?
>>
>>7769888
Autism lol
>>
>>7769888
>Needs willpower to study the simplest chemistry subject
>2016
Also, nice triples m8.
>>
>>7774588
Nice. I'm one of those people you described who have to "get serious" to make it, but i know a couple who are just like you in that matter.

>>7769888
i like you
>>
Do you study in your dorm/room or ALWAYS in the library?

Somehow the library here is filled with faggots who won't shut the fuck up in group talking.
>>
>>7774915
I just go to the smaller library on campus. People actually study there.
>>
Reading helps me study. I find that reading every word once does the trick. I like to read the words until I run out of words to read and then I tell myself, "Good job. I'm done studying."

Later on after I fuck off to eat, I'll try reading some more. Maybe read a bit of the stuff that I want to know some more about. That really helps me study the material.

At the end of the day this will all take a lot of time to do. Typically the time it takes to read every word of my books.
>>
>>7774915
Most university libraries have enforced quiet study areas; you just have to find them. If you just stay in the main floor on the entry-level floor, you're going to be around blacks yelling at each other.
>>
>>7775150
>blacks
Wtf shitty university are you going?
>>
>tfw living in a world-city
>free education
>no 24/7 libraries
>some are even closed on the weekends

Fml. I'd love to have a library here with 24/7 opening time
>>
>>7774915
Never ever study in your dorm.
>>7774915
>Somehow the library here is filled with faggots who won't shut the fuck up in group talking.
The university I go to has a "computer lab" in a separate building that all the loud morons hang out in. I only go in to (and quickly out of) there occasionally since walking through it is often the fastest way out of the math department.
>>7775162
>Wtf shitty university are you going?
Probably a one that actually tries to educate people and doesn't just boast about how many people it turns away.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQFGElfMCko

Why are these kids studying so less hours?
I mean c'mon. 5-6 hours prior to an exam?
5 hours a week?
>>
Come into class ahead, not behind.

Have a cursory (and most likely incorrect) understanding of what will be discussed or what problems will be worked. Take weak notes, make feeble attempts at working problems, try in vain to understand. That way, the lecture is filling in missing pieces of the foundation you laid in your mind and in your notes. Computer based notes make this task even easier since you can literally fill in an outline.

The time for thorough readings and repetitious problem solving comes after you understand.

I notice that lots of people come to class as blank slates. They spend the lecture time trying to keep up with note taking. That means that the entire lecture period was spent with them functioning as a stenographer. There is no absorption, only the regurgitation onto paper. They read the book word for word. There is no understanding, only memorization of mass amounts of text.

Maybe you're a savant with a photographic memory. I am a weak man with a poor memory. I try to make it about many repetitions rather than singular bursts of mass information.
>>
Posted this in another thread, maybe it'll help someone out here as well:

Do what Feynman did:
1. Divide the subject matter into discrete units or ideas (usually this is done for you in textbooks, lecture notes etc).
2. Write an explanation for the idea/concept, but as write it as if you were explaining it to a five year old. (This means no technical jargon, complex formula or anything else a five year old wouldn't know).
3. If you find that you can't explain something, it means there is a gap in your understanding, go back to the reference (textbook/lecture) and fix those gaps
4. If you need to remember the concept long-term (you almost always do), create an analogy. The more distant the analogy to the subject, the more likely you will remember it. (e.g using chess to understand the properties of markov chians)
>>
>>7775216
>Never ever study in your dorm.
Why? Sometimes it can work out. The nearets lib is 25min away
>>
File: doit.jpg (304KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
doit.jpg
304KB, 1920x1080px
>>7771535
Don't worry anon, I do it too.
>>
File: 1447448871919.jpg (60KB, 550x366px) Image search: [Google]
1447448871919.jpg
60KB, 550x366px
>>7775339
>Mfw its been 4 years

Thank you Emi, for all the things you have made me do.
>>
>>7772545
Have you ever tried learning something that isn't written on a page?
>>
>>7772300
this, I don't understand how so many fucking people approach study like a military drill. Surely you should know how well you know the material, and based on that put in as much time is necessary for you to do well (or seek external help if something in particular is bothering you).
I ended up with a 3.8 GPA for Aero eng and I probably spent about half my time at school or studying outside of exam weeks, the other half was spent socializing and drinking and fucking around at the movies and shit like that.
>>7772288
why not have a good time at Uni and then go traveling and doing drugs and fucking hookers? Why is there this self imposed dichotomy of University = no fun, after University = all the fun? Bad mentality
>>
>>7775226
who care about noname university lol
>>
File: 1448398703337.jpg (575KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
1448398703337.jpg
575KB, 750x500px
>class is 95% test grades and 5% quizzes
>>
Is there a name for this stage when you learn something new and you understand what it's being taught, but you don't feel like you really understand the concept? For example you're still unsure what you can use it for, how to prove it, why it matters, and you're not sure if you gonna remember it tomorrow.

Anyone knows what I'm talking about? What do you do in this case? I typically try to read the Wikipedia page, stackexchange questions, etc. I feel like having a conversaqtion with someone about the concept would be really cool, but I don't have anyone that studies stuff before class
>>
>>7769888
Similar but less autistic tactic here. I don't eat or use the bathroom until I finish something. So far there's only been a few times where I pissed myself, but it's not like anyone was around me, so who cares.
>>
>>7775678
It's something called operant conditioning, you create a routine for yourself. Can you just not brush your teeth in the morning?
>>
>>7770322
This. If you always have knowledge of the topic before class then it'll be impossible to fail, and difficult to get under a B.
>>
>>7771885
Post it on 4chan or /r/homeworkhelp (idk if that's real)
>>
Guys do you have any tips for a general productive life? Be it study tips, time management tips, hacking productivity, eating healthy, having a good sleep schedule, etc.

Some good resource that's not bullshit
>>
>>7778602
Don't put things off
Wake up early
Don't work where you sleep
Take yourself seriously (be professional, don't dress like a slob etc.)
Work near other people
Commit
If something is uninteresting either make yourself interested in it or find a way to not do it
Source: 4 years of telecommuting and 3 years of university
>>
>>7769873

Look for Thomas frank on YouTube
His Channel is golden
>>
>>7778841
what's so good about him
>>
>>7778752
>If something is uninteresting either make yourself interested in it or find a way to not do it
I'm a 23 y/old stuck in political science degree and I fucking hate it, wish I had the courage to switch to physics
too bad I was shit at math when I had to choose
>>
>>7779010
you probably still are lol
>>
>>7779014
true dat
>>
I don't get why people study for 8 hours a day. At the most, I'll study 5 hours. But that's almost never. I study for 4 hours a day. I use the Pomodoro technique and take 5 minute breaks every 25 minutes. Also, it's good to pretend you're teaching since it forces you to learn the material. Make sure you sleep, and google whatever you don't know. Studying for short sessions daily is better than studying in one night for 10 hours.
>>
>>7779468
what do you study, and where are you at? undergrad/ grad school?
>>
>>7779665

MechE/AerospaceE at University at Buffalo undergrad.
>>
File: 1437701149493.jpg (49KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1437701149493.jpg
49KB, 400x400px
>>7776738
That looks like the vagina of the girl I lost my virginity too.

It was incredibly wet, too...
>>
>>7779692
are you at the top of your class?
>>
>>7779726

I'm not #1. I'm doing just fine imo, currently have a 3.5 GPA.
>>
>>7769888
I thought i was the only one that did this. But few years that i have been doing it now has caused my heart rate to go up.
>>
JUST DO IT
>>
>>7778934

It has a lot of useful information
I haven't went through it all yet but so far it's pretty good
>>
>>7769873
Study with induction:

1. Read a sentence, understand it.
2. Repeat.

Eventually you must understand the whole material.
>>
>>7779738
>3.5 GPA
>fine
see, that's the difference between us
>>
>>7780155
What do if stuck in an infinite loop at the same sentence and the exam is coming up?
>>
How the fuck do I learn to discipline myself?

I have these:

>Pomodoro Technique every single day (no zero days)
>Wake up every day at 8 AM no matter what (hard asf tbqh)
>SMART tasks (google it. may sound like bullshit at first but makes a lot of sense in practice)
>Start doing the least pleasurable task first. This is combined with pomodoro to increase my discipline. I hate working on my dissertation, but I woke up at 8 AM and did 5 pomodoros on it.

What else is there? I probably need to address eating habits/diet at some point cause I eat like shit. For physical exercise I skateboard. I've done 6 months of gym, but no thanks.

So how do you self-discipline like a fucking monk?
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.