[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I get /sci's opinion on linguistics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: language is this.jpg (27KB, 518x359px) Image search: [Google]
language is this.jpg
27KB, 518x359px
Can I get /sci's opinion on linguistics?
>>
>>7766350
Parsing human language is kind of a waste of time (at least as far as building UIs go).
The only time it's useful is with search engines or other kinds of web crawlers.
>>
>>7766365
t. an unimaginative idiot
>>
>>7766365
>Parsing human language is kind of a waste of time

Anything requiring NLP requires some kind of natural language parser.
>>
>>7766459
Congratulations on expanding that acronym.
>>
>>7766350
This is the shit I wanted to learn at school. It's like the algebra of human languages.
>>
>>7766350
If I hadn't go with STEM, I would probably have chosen to study linguistics.
>>
>>7766465
Except the P in NLP stands for processing retard.
>>
>>7766350
Even gayer than engineering. The asymptote of gayness factor approaches Linguistics.
>>
I always wanted to study it, but I want a job, so I only learn languages in my free time.
>>
>>7767575
Welp. I fucked up there...
>>
>>7766350
I like diachronic linguistics, as a hobby. But I don't really care about synchronic analysis. I imagine I wouldn't really enjoy any of it as a job either.
>>
>>7766350
formal theoretical linguistics is great
>>
>>7766350
that's an adjunct
>>
>>7766350
I actually decided to study CS instead of foreign languages because I loved formal linguistics so much. I'm an undergrad researcher in my University's natural language processing lab, and I love it; I'm going to try and stay for a masters at least.

Even though formal linguistics can be used for NLP, let's not forget how interesting it is to be able to study the mental computations that your brain performs when we use language and how they're essentially the same for pretty much every language that exists.
>>
>>7768354
It's not, nouns can take a CP complement
>>
>>7768923
it's not in comp position.
>>
>>7766350
The advanced shit on this is my favorite trolling scheme
Basically throw an integral in with the N making the compilation imply a bilaterally digressing state of what formatted the spec making the double N bar subject of the 'Compl' by the means of a lack of standardization of the point, compliments of the integral
>>
>>7768966
Oh, I see what you mean. I didn't notice that there was an N-bar above book.
>>
>>7768999
that's all I meant by it.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.