[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I graduated high school with subpar grades 6 years ago. I like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 4

File: Remote-Online-Engineering-jobs-1.jpg (746KB, 2500x1420px) Image search: [Google]
Remote-Online-Engineering-jobs-1.jpg
746KB, 2500x1420px
I graduated high school with subpar grades 6 years ago. I like to think I'm pretty smart if I apply myself. I'm thinking about going back to school for electrical engineering. Would most of it be over my head going in after a 6 year education gap?
>>
>>7765755
>electrical engineering
why engineering?
>>
File: exam.png (88KB, 698x1576px) Image search: [Google]
exam.png
88KB, 698x1576px
>>7765755

Depends on how much you remember. How many questions can you answer?
>>
>>7765755
>Would most of it be over my head going in after a 6 year education gap?
if you're actually smart then you should be able to get your head around everything necessary to start uni within a year. get the books and study like a madcunt.
>>
>>7765774
Shit, can't answer any of that. Would summer Trig and Geometry classes help prep for this?
>>
>>7765755
Start with algebra and work your way through math.
Most people find school much easier after they've been an adult for a few years, the hard part is making yourself motivated and that's much easier as an adult.
>>
>>7765755
any engineering degree is designed to be pretty easy, i wouldn't expect much to go over your head
>>
>>7765774
That's first year undergrad level, high school level is only basic differential and vector calc
>>
I think /sci/ recommends Spivak's Calculus for non-mathematicians OP. Read that first. I believe it's constructive?

Principles of Mathematical Analysis by Rudin is fully constructive if you're smart.

>>7767099
That is basic differential and vector calc.

You can literally read a bit of wikipedia and solve all of this.
>>
>>7765774
If he's talking about the US (which is most likely the case, places like Germany wouldn't let him in to college at this point) then that test is kind of silly. The only math that they teach electrical engineers that isn't there is statistics and DE.
>>
>>7765781

Don't be intimidated by that OP, he's trying to scare you off. You won't see most of that stuff until later on and it will only be used in a superficial level.

My advice is to start at your local community college. The prereq math and physics courses can be taken there and should transfer over. Take things slow. Take Algebra and precalc your first year and take Calc over the summer so you go into second year with a good general back ground. After about two years of prereq physics math etc.. transfer to your state's public University and finish your degree there.
>>
>>7767105

You're level of autism is unbearably high. Why would you recommend Rudin to a guy just starting out engineering? I wouldn't recommend this meme book to a math undergrad. Charles Pugh's book is so much better and no electrical engineer would even need analysis at undergrad levels
>>
>>7767150
This dude's right. If you've been out of school that long, start off at a JC. I was out of school for 4+ years, went back and got a BS in mechanical engineering after transferring from a community college.
>>
>>7765755
The best way to answer this is not asking here, but researching for yourself.

On your university website, there'll be a calendar of all the courses you'll take in the degree you want.

Look at that list, find the first semester ones, and look them up. See if what you're actually going to be taking is over your head.

Although generally speaking here's some prep you can do
>be very good with trig. you'll need it
>be very good at manipulating variables. Factoring/completing squares/solving for arbitrary variables, etc. Math in engineering can sometimes be messy, especially in the real applications and not on exams.
If you're going into the average american university you don't need anything other than high school algebra and trigonometry, they'll teach you the rest
>>
>>7767163

Good to hear this path worked for you. Looking back I wish I had started off in community college. You save a lot of money that way and since the focus is on teaching, most of the instructors do a good job of that. The way math works in college is it builds on each class you take but very superficially - as long as you pass your math and physics courses you'll do well in the upper division ones if you put in the time. Community College is also a good option because you don't live on their campuses - I would have been much more comfortable studying at home

OP you can't go wrong at least trying out community college. I can't emphasize that the biggest factor determining your success in school is the time you put into it. If you study 3-5 hours a day for your first year you're almost guaranteed an A in your classes
>>
>>7765755
I was out for five years, just started last fall.
its a lot more challenging, but for the most part I've picked up a lot of what I knew before. The biggest problem I had was retaking chem after forgetting everything.
>>
>>7765755
I dropped out of high school in grade 11, and was more or less NEET for around 5 years. Went back to an adult high school and graduated with an accelerated curriculum then did my undergrad at a mid tier school and now I'm in grad school at Harvard.

Pre-undergrad knowledge is really a joke and if you take it seriously you can learn it extremely fast. I spent a lot of time grinding examples and working on intuition, also reading a lot of stuff that went over my head like Feynman's lectures but trying to understand. You will need to spend a lot of time on boring material.

I ended up being around middle of the pack in terms of preparation, some people came from high schools where they basically came in to undergrad with a 2nd year amount of knowledge. I didn't know integration when I started undergrad which meant I had to learn a lot of things other people already knew. But I worked so hard that I was at the top of my class since most people were fucking around and partying and not studying or applying themselves.

Being older weighs on me pretty hard and I lie about my age. I regret all the time I lost. I've still never had a real job but I hope this Harvard degree gets me somewhere. If you work hard you can make it at least as far as I did though.
>>
>>7767394

Nice. Congrats man I'm sure it will work out for you.

What is your grad degree going to be in
>>
>>7767445
Women Studies

Yes, I know I am big ass pussy bitch.
>>
>>7767445
topkek
>falling for the literal pasta.

Stay classy, new fags.
>>
>>7767445
Computer science/statistics related. I don't want to say exactly because I've already said enough to be identifiable. Planning on going into industry. If I had got my degree younger I might have tried to get a place in academia but these days the work in academia is just so awful I probably wouldn't even if I had stayed on track my whole life.
>>
>>7765755

Go re-learn the entirety of high school mathematics. I'm in the same position as you, but I was even more of a fuck up. I spent my time fighting, sleeping, and doing other stupid shit instead of learning. Have worked a bunch of shit jobs since leaving high school, like bouncing, security, postman, labourer, warehouse worker, etc. At the ripe old age of 22, I decided to get my fucking life together and make something of myself.

I've taken two courses to get myself up to par with with GCSE and A-level maths. Literally starting from nothing. And I'm not exaggerating. I had to learn how to do addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division with carrying.

I'll be finishing my second course in may, probably with a distinction grade, with enough credits to apply for an engineering degree.

If I can turn myself around, literally anyone can, unless you have down syndrome or something.
>>
>>7765755
Don't do electrical engineering. Do mech or something broader. EE is for autists and you will have a hard time competing as an older students. You'll also not get an EE job. Google the EE market it's in decline and projections are not favorable.
>>
>>7765755
>High-school kids work their ass off to compete for spots in university programmes.
>Some lazy old asshole can just take their place without meeting any requirements.

Why is this allowed?
>>
>>7767622

It isn't allowed, at least not in the UK. You need to meet the requirements like everyone else. But there are relevant foundation courses, which have lower requirements. After the foundation course, you can (if you do well) go onto a degree relevant to the foundation course you completed..
>>
>>7765769
>>electrical engineering
>why engineering
Why did you feel the need of quoting that?
>>
OP everyone that didn't try in highschool thinks they're smart. Just saying.
>>
>>7765755
Don't do EE. I don't want to have to deal with more shitty autistic know-it-alls like you.

Just go do some liberal arts shit. We don't need more lazy sacks of shit in STEM.
>>
>>7767670

>tfw I actually did not try in high school and never did any work.
>>
>>7767545

p.s.

Ignore the autists trying to dissuade you. The same thing happened to me when I asked for help. They can't stand to see anyone improving themselves. Belittling others is the only thing that makes some of the autists on here feel alive, they're just getting back at the bullies that terrorized them in school.

Keep in mind that you have to fix your lazyness, otherwise you're going to fail again. You can't have one foot in the door and one foot out. Your life is literally going to have to revolve around studying if you want to catch up.
>>
>>7767670
This so much.

You occasionally hear about the 1 in 100 000 success stories about people going back to school, but the 99 999 who just wasted their time and money aren't talked about (not even mentioning those who actually graduated, but didn't get a decent job anyway).

Seriously if you're past your 20s you probably won't make it, just keep your day job and stop thinking the grass is always greener. Study some undergrad level textbooks in your spare time to see if you can make it, but don't pay money for classes.
>>
>>7767691
So what do I do as a 25 year old working in fast food two semesters away from an AS in Electronic Engineering Technology and around a 2.5ish GPA?

Seems like I'm fucked. I can't make a living off my current job even if I went full time. I'd have to pick up a second full time job just to afford an apartment in the ghetto.
>>
>>7767697

Why is your GPA so low?
>>
>>7767701
I tend not to turn in most of my labwork and take zeros. Test grades are usually good enough that I still barely pass though.

I'm kind of a shitty student.
>>
>>7767697
This is what you get Chad. Your time is running out. Soon Stacy will be with me.
>>
>>7767706
>I tend not to turn in most of my labwork and take zeros.

Why? I honestly just don't get people like you.
>>
>>7767687
We aren't dissuading anyone retard. We are portraying reality instead of the usual "you can do anything you set your mind to xD" facebook-tier bullshit. We are also honest about our own prospect and job market, most people with STEM degrees aren't getting STEM jobs right now and we aren't going to lie about that just like we aren't going to lie about anyone's chances going back to school.

In fact I can disprove that right now, your academic performance is mostly genetic, hard work doesn't make up the difference.

http://www.nature.com/srep/2015/150723/srep11713/full/srep11713.html

It turns out those "smart, but lazy xD" idiots were in fact, as suspected, just idiots.

Also I started lifting early during high-school and was captain of two sports teams, but nice assumptions.

>>7767697
>AS in Electronic Engineering Technology and around a 2.5ish GPA?
See? This is precisely where most people end up.

I know this because those are the statistics, but even if he got into a BS programme and after he got his degree the job market still fucking sucks.

>I can't make a living off my current job even if I went full time.
Why did you try to jump from "working in fast food" to being a professional engineering in the first place? There are plenty of easier degrees and career pathways, everything from trades to working in the military to getting a business and management degree etc.
>>
>>7767712
I don't know man. Procrastinate, do more interesting stuff, sleep, whatever.

I do enjoy working with electronics and have gotten into doing projects and stuff at home to but the formality of reports and stuff is just so tedious and I'd rather do more fun stuff. Maybe I lack discipline but this mentality has been ingrained for so long I wouldn't even know where to begin to fix it.
>>
>>7767713
>We aren't dissuading anyone retard. We are portraying reality instead of the usual "you can do anything you set your mind to xD" facebook-tier bullshit. We are also honest about our own prospect and job market, most people with STEM degrees aren't getting STEM jobs right now and we aren't going to lie about that just like we aren't going to lie about anyone's chances going back to school.

Okay, fair enough. I can't disagree with that. But as someone that has been in a much worse position than the OP, you need a modicum of delusion to push you forward.
>>
>>7767722

*self-delusion
>>
>>7767713
>Why did you try to jump from "working in fast food" to being a professional engineering in the first place?

I didn't. I went right from HS to a real uni for my BS in Physics. But things didn't work out, I wrecked my GPA in 3 semesters (3.4 to a 0.3) and things were so bad and I had to drop. I needed a job and had no skills and took the first one offered. I decided to abandon my plans of majoring in physics and spent a few years not sure what to do with myself. Eventually I realized I've always had an interest in electronics since I was young and wanted to develop that so I decided on EE. Now I need a way out of the hole.
>>
>>7767722
Consider the following instead.

Consider a student who graduated with a perfect GPA in high-school. Who studied on a combination of sholarships and corporate bursaries. Who graduated engineering summa cum laude. Who is currently unemployed for close to a year now because his companies downsized and voided their bursary contracts and now no one else would hire them.

That's 4 students in my graduating class. 1 of them went back to grad-school the other cut their losses and are burnt out NEETs applying to minimum wage jobs. This is at a top 100 university, shitter than most on /sci/, but statistically where the average engineering student studies.

Welcome to reality. Delusion is going to make things worse for you because you believe it will magically turn out ok despite all evidence to the contrary.
>>
Jesus christ this thread is depressing.
Why does everyone on this board just think you should fucking kill yourself if you didn't go to college IMMEDIATELY after high school?
Is it autism?
I know plenty of very successful people who did it another way.
>>
>>7767732
Overqualified. They have to pay you too much where they can just get some less qualified people and pay them less to do the same job. Who wants a top 100 uni student when they can get some generic state university student with a 3.0 GPA and pay him half.

Or get H1Bs and not only pay them less but get a tax cut too.
>>
>>7767733
>Why does everyone on this board just think you should fucking kill yourself if you didn't go to college IMMEDIATELY after high school?
No one said, we are literally telling people to get a job instead of wasting their time and money which is to prevent them from killing themselves.
>Is it autism?
Yes, everything that isn't written on your facebook wall by optimistic 16 year old girls must be autism.
>I know plenty of very successful people who did it another way.
Yes, and my daddy started in the mail room and eventually rose to become the CEO of of an international company.

That doesn't work in the extremely competitive, overpopulated and oversaturated modern economy.

Adapt and find a niche that isn't eternal minimum wage service jobs, but don't have unrealistic expectations of what a university degree will actually mean for you in this economy (if you get it the first place, which is also unlikely). Seriously 99% of people who try going back to university would be better off doing IT certs.
>>
>>7767732

So, your advice is quit. No thanks. I'm starting an engineering degree in September and have consistntly got the best grades in the open university courses I've completed.

Luckily for me, a good friend of mine is an academic at imperial. He's also a co-owner of an engineering firm. He's tons of contacts.

If I listened to people like you, I'd be working the doors at nightclubs for the rest of my life.
>>
>>7767733
I don't think anyone here is saying "you must go strait to college after highschool or give up". In fact, I would highly recommend /against/ that because working for a couple years gives you a lot of perspective that helps motivate you in college.
They're just trying to warn people not to waste money, there are a lot of "smart" people (people who have enough intelligence to handle high level math etc) out there but there are very few who are smart /and/ motivated enough to be functional.
Most people find it's motivation that makes college hard.
OP: just go to a community college for a couple years and see if that works out, if it does transfer to a university.
>>
>>7767732

>waaaaah, I deserve everything!!! The post.
>>
>>7767732

>entitlement, the post

You're not entitled to shit, you whiny little bitch.
>>
>>7767738
this is you rn
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=transactional+analysis+child+role
I'm not that guy but you're really being a douche

if whoever your talking about is even 26 and hasn't started college yet, the whole idea of just getting some shitty job instead of an engineering degree when he has at least 40 working years left is baffling
>>
>>7767736
I know their problem is they are overqualified. It's not just about getting paid; they make it clear they will work for minimum wage. Employers will assume they will quit as soon as they find an engineering job.

>Who wants a top 100 uni student when they can get some generic state university student with a 3.0 GPA and pay him half.
It is a state university, one with good industry contacts (that haven't hired since 2008). I meant top 100 in the US.

>Or get H1Bs and not only pay them less but get a tax cut too.
This is pretty big problem for our job market. It really pisses me off because they are literally using my tax money to fuck up my job market. If I didn't have a decent engineering job already I would probably have went on a killing spree years ago.

>>7767739
>So, your advice is quit.
What do you mean quit? You are not even in the game and you probably never will be.

We are not telling you to quit, we're telling you that you are retarded and naive for wasting your time and money. Which you are.

>Luckily for me, a good friend of mine is an academic at imperial. He's also a co-owner of an engineering firm. He's tons of contacts.
Good for you. Most people here don't have contacts. I hope your contact actually recommends you instead of just talking big to impress you like most people do.

>If I listened to people like you, I'd be working the doors at nightclubs for the rest of my life.
So you have zero reading comprehension? Yeah, you're not going to do well in real academia. Every one of my posts I've been recommening you build a realistic career that will eventually get you a high salary. Engineering is not a realistic career for people not academically inclined who'd need to work their ass off instead of doing well for less work in other careers. Fucking around by going back to university for STEM is the worst possible choice for someone trying to get out of minimum wageslavery.

STEM isn't about just grinding until you get your degree.
>>
>>7767742
>>7767750
What the fuck retards are you even reading this thread?

My point is precisely that an engineering degree alone doesn't entitle you to an engineering career and a high paying job and that in fact most people smarter than you have tried and failed.

Christ everyone in this thread is has NEET tier comprehension skills, probably the same crowd of fuckwits bitching on /biz/.
>>
>>7767751
He's butthurt elitist with an over inflated ego.
>>
>>7767756

>thinks he can determine the intelligence of someone he has never met
>>
>>7767751
>hurr stop being mean!

>the whole idea of just getting some shitty job
That's how most of the population on the planet lives their life. Why do you think you're better than them just because you post on /sci/? You're not.
> instead of an engineering degree when he has at least 40 working years left is baffling
Except statistically he will still get a shitty job after getting his degree.

Again, this isn't the 60s. Getting a degree alone doesn't mean shit anymore.
>>
>>7767754
> It really pisses me off because they are literally using my tax money to fuck up my job market. If I didn't have a decent engineering job already I would probably have went on a killing spree years ago.
>Most people here don't have contacts. I hope your contact actually recommends you instead of just talking big to impress you like most people do.
Why do all of your posts reek of sour grapes
>>
>We are not telling you to quit, we're telling you that you are retarded and naive for wasting your time and money. Which you are.

Okay, by your own assertion, everyone with the best grades prior to attending university is also wasting their time.
>>
>>7767760
Because I have real world experience and not just the pretend "life experience" that sheltered oldfags working minimum wage jobs think they have.
>>
>>7767754
Okay so what about me then. 25 years old and two semesters away from AS in EET. Mediocre grades but it's too late to fix that, even straight A's won't get me a 3.0 by the time I graduate but that's aside from the point you've seen my other posts ITT for the full story. Should I still finish? Would qualify me to be a electronics technician. I've been told the market was okay but I'm not about to make any assumptions. This was all done at a CC so I haven't suck too much money into it and I currently have no debt. Supposedly the college has connections including some kind of partnership with the FAA. The program is ABET accredited and supposedly there are connections with local industries in the Northeast too.

What do I do if I can't secure work after school? I have no time for any other kind of education. I have to get my own place soon. I would maybe be able to spare a year to learn a trade but no more. Maybe electrician since I already have skills with circuits and instrumentation. Only difference is all of what I learned really pertained to small signal electronics and electrician would be working with mains power.
>>
>>7767754

>not academically inclined
>have the best grades

Okay.

If you lived my life, you wouldn't even have the balls to do what I'm doing right now. You would have threw yourself of a bridge because you wouldn't have been able to handle it.
>>
>>7767763
Nobody cares about your opinion, you little sperg.
>>
>ITT people with no faith in themselves or the heart of the cards
>>
>>7767766
>If you lived my life, you wouldn't even have the balls to do what I'm doing right now.
Oh fuck off. I'm not the one who was a lazy fuck up to begin with. I work more in one year than you've worked your entire life.

You honestly believe you're doing this brave, difficult shit that will magically give a you a fairy tale ending? You are not. You are grinding to keep up at something that others find easy; you are actually patting yourself on the back for getting a good grade while people younger than you get the same grade while partying, playing sports etc. just think about that for a second. You're an """adult""" comparing yourself to children. You haven't even started competing in the professional job market yet, never mind the competition for survival once you're in.

You're not even a fucking undergrad yet and even undergrads don't know shit about the real world.
>>
>>7767771
How does it feel to know that people do in fact care more about the opinion of little sperg that's already more successful than an old failure like you?
>>
>>7767775

Trust me, you little nugget, you would have killed yourself. You can barely handle stress now. I'm going to laugh at you and all your mates once I graduate and walk into a job.
>>
>>7767778

>23 is old
>>
>>7767784
It's old if you're trying to get into a bachelors programme yes.
>>
>>7767775

I'll take the opinion and advice of my friend, who graduated from Oxford and works at Imperial, with 30 years experience in the industry over some autist. He's more successful and experienced than you. You're nothing compared to him.
>>
>>7765755

Go to Community College.
>>
>>7767781
>You can barely handle stress now
I've worked with EWB during disaster relief missions.

You're incredibly naive for thinking working and studying in a safe and comfy first world environment is "stress".
>>
>>7767787
Who cares.
>>
>>7767787

Plenty of people have started later than that, you silly little autist.
>>
>>7767793
For someone as accomplished as yourself you clearly have an axe to grind and have a vested interest in over people failing or generally being mediocre.
I wonder why that is.
>>
>>7767793

>thinks I've always lived in a safe first world environment.
>>
>>7767797
Other**
>>
>>7767764
Realistically the tech job market is far better than engineering and pays just as well in some disciplines due to the demand, but it isn't roses at all, it can be competitive. Aside from going for your technologist degree (which would by far be the best option for you right now) you can try to apply to companies who pay for your trade training while you are working full time. You have realistic expectations unlike these people trying to jump from minimum wage to BS professional engineering anyway.

>What do I do if I can't secure work after school?
Just be willing to move anywhere and apply wherever you can. Send applications out often. I don't know how good your CC faculty's connections are, but it can't hurt your chances to network through them.

>I would maybe be able to spare a year to learn a trade but no more.
If you really can't find a job directly make sure to do it a school that has good industry connections.
>>
>>7767797
>I wonder why that is.

Because he's a spoiled and pampered little bitch. He's never been punched in the face hard enough.
>>
>>7767778

>believes some random sperger over the Internet.

He's more than likely some elitist neckbeard in his first year of university, if even that.
>>
>>7767794
People asking for career advice.

>>7767795
"Plenty of people" are vegans.

>>7767797
That's your problem right there.

You think grinding to get a bachelors will magically make you any less mediocre. There are shittons of people who grind to get their bachelors and end up disappointed when they realized it's still just a piece of paper. There are people who grind for 5-8 years on a bachelors because they are naive enough to believe it's a golden ticket only to end up in the type of job they could've gotten straight out of high-school.

>>7767798
You certainly bitch like a first worlder either way.

>>7767801
Again with the assumptions. You're the one that's getting mad at literally the first person who doesn't lie to him like his mommy, daddy and grade school teacher who told him he was a special snowflake his whole life.
>>
>>7767807

>thinks I have a mommy and daddy.
>>
>>7767810
Unless you were kidnapped by African warlord and forced to be child soldier preventing you from obtaining scholarship quality grades you can take your "hurr you can't imagagine my stress, sitting down and studying is so hard I have so much balls guyz I swear!" and shove it up your boy pussy you pathetically lazy faggot.

Go bitch to whatever ugly tit gives a fuck about you, which I'm guessing is probably no one.
>>
>>7767817
Actually mad
>>
>>7767817

You're pretty close actually. Heard of yugoslavia in the 90s? Thanks for the entertainment and motivation. I'll keep your hate in mind to drive me further everyday.
>>
File: go_away.jpg (23KB, 942x63px) Image search: [Google]
go_away.jpg
23KB, 942x63px
>>7765755
I wonder if sage in all fields actually works
>>
>>7767800
Appreciate the advice. I know a lot of jobs are trying to do more with less and are cutting everything. There is no job these days where you are guaranteed work or a decent salary regardless of how educated or skilled you are. I'm seeing this at all levels. It happens at my shitty job, my Mom works in a hospital and they have almost the exact same problems. I hear about this shit from friends or when I'm at the bar. It's an issue everywhere.

Getting a college degree, ANY college degree, is no longer a safe guarantee of a good future. I would love to do my BS in EE but right now is a bad time and I think your advice is good. I will finish my associates and try to get work. I've been paying out of pocket and am debt free atm so all I've lost is time If I can't then I will try trade school to become an electrician. It's just too risky to take out loans for my bachelors without a guarantee that I will be able to pay them off.
>>
File: 1451274453061.jpg (207KB, 493x500px) Image search: [Google]
1451274453061.jpg
207KB, 493x500px
>>7767807

>calls people mediocre
>is actually mediocre himself

What have you achieved? What field have you advanced? What achievement of yours are going to be taught for generations in universities? Nothing. You're just as mediocre as everyone else, the difference is that your delusional about your self worth. You're insignificant.
>>
>>7765755
i've been out of school for a while and i just started on an engineering degree myself. my advice is to start at a community college where classes will be cheap and take all of the foundation math/physics/chemistry that you can. it might be a little rough at first to jump back into things, but if you apply yourself and get good grades, you are probably on the right path. if you are really struggling, at least you gave it a shot and didn't blow too much money.
>>
>>7767864

How could you? If you didn't start at 18 you're never going to make it
>>
>>7767763

Any valid advice you may have had became irrelevant when you stated I should not start an engineering degree despite having the best grades at A-level, simply because I got the grades at 23 instead of at 18. For someone that is supposedly intelligent, you're an immature fool.
>>
You don't need to know shit for college.
If you already knew shit you wouldn't be going to college. The whole point is to learn.

I had a 0.8 GPA in highschool, not joking.. Now I'm a structural engineer for a commercial construction company. A large one. And my story isn't abnormal.

But, I didn't get a degree because I wanted to make money. I was not content in working a job that didn't challenge me or produce anything tangible. And I was not content in living a life ignorant of physics and structural design. This should be the main reason you further your education. And you will get an engineering job. How much it pays and how much you are over-worked, shouldn't really be the point.

>>7767677
Lazy people are weeded out almost instantly in the actual engineering job market. It's too competitive and engineers are under-valued. You have to be creative and interested in what you do as a hobby not just something you punch a clock for.

>>7767713
>Confuses intelligence with ability to focus on menial tasks
Yikes. The first paragraph literally says independent of intelligence.
Show me where Chad touched you.
>>
>>7767915
How old are you?
Just curious senpai
>>
>>7767938
>>
>>7767957
I'm 23.
Haven't started school yet.
Have you always been good at math, even in high school
>>
>>7767967
I don't know I never tried to learn it in highschool.
But, you don't have to be Bernoulli to be an engineer.
You just have to be able to learn how to do it and how to apply it.
Which is what school is for.
>>
>>7765755
Just start with math from 0, how to add fractions with different denominator and all that, and just keep going, it actually doesnt take long if you studied it already and you will be good to go.
>>
>>7768074
>>7768049
Okay so then why does everyone here act like you have to be touched with some magical gift from God to be good at mathematics?
Are they just special snowflakes?
>>
>>7768099
It is an intrinsic property of math students.
Beware, it will happen to you too.
>>
>ITT: Undergrads patting a 29 year-old in the back.
>>
>>7768105
So it's literal autism?
>>
>>7768099
The math you learn in engineering is nothing like the majority of math talked about on this board. The math in engineering is just calculus, differential equations, trig, non-abstract algebra.

The maths in CS are more conceptually challenging than engineering.

Engineering is like chemistry. They rely entirely on math (like everything), but are not math degrees.
>>
>>7768099
You dont need to be a wizard to finish an engineering degree, if you have studied the math already, just start from 0 so you dont have any gray areas and get back to the post highschool level, it wont take that long and you will be able to keep up with the class.
>>
>>7768135
Actually, after the first or second year you wont ever do a limit or solve any complex integral, you pretty much waste the first year learning more that you will ever need, at least 95% of graduates.
>>
>>7768137

Why does everyone on here act like you need to be some 0.001% chance genius to finish an engineering degree?
>>
>>7768106
>I couldn't get a job so now I'm angry at the world
Do you really think shitposting on 4chan is going to make a significant dent in the supply and demand of engineers?
>>
>>7767462

fuck, if this is pasta then yeah I've been had.
>>
>>7767687

good for you anon. I always enjoy reading stories about self improvement. Keep at it
>>
>>7768142
You are the one saying it, not me.
>>
>>7768139
For a structural/mechanical engineer definitely.
>>
>>7767155
>calling another user autistic
>you're instead of your

Kek
>>
Am i the only engineer here that is terrible at math? I can't do anything by hand anymore. All i know how to do is recognize a problem and solve it using matlab....
>>
That's what I'm doing right now OP. Though I did have to take math up to calculus 1 first. I'd recommend taking classes like physics and math at community college.
>>
>>7767116

gtfo you dont know what you talking about
>>
>>7768171
The only thing that i have noticed that is negative about taking math at community colleges is that they do not discuss hyperbolic trigonometric functions. Which become important, depending on your engineering discipline.
>>
>>7768162
>matlab

haha wat a loser

>not being able to solve shit with integrals

wat you even doing here, the ghetto is the opposite way
>>
>>7768152
I'm the guy who wrote it, it isn't a pasta. I can answer any other questions if you want too.
>>
>>7768177

I think you're going to appreciate graduating a lot of more than most people.
>>
>>7768180
Yeah. Sometimes I start to get a little depressed when I think about how behind I am on life and the age I'll be when I get my first job, and I also worry about what it will mean when it comes to earning enough to buy a decent house somewhere.

But when I think about how much of a failure I was and how much I've turned it around it makes me feel good. I'm pretty happy to have made it this far and I hope to end up in a cool career after it's all done. I've spent a lot of long nights just sitting on my computer doing school work. Graduating after all of that will really mean a lot.
>>
>>7768208
>Yeah. Sometimes I start to get a little depressed when I think about how behind I am on life and the age I'll be when I get my first job, and I also worry about what it will mean when it comes to earning enough to buy a decent house somewhere.

It's not a useful mentality to have. You're going to age and die regardless of what you do. You're going to be better off than the majority of the human population with an engineering degree, regardless of your age.
>>
>>7768176
:D shits just like fortran. Works well for me! C++? I hardly knew her.
>>
>>7768177

oh wow, I apologize. Sometimes I forget im on 4chan.

I do have a question/situation that maybe you can provide some advice on:

I started college and did well for the first couple of years but due to family problems/depression I had to drop numerous semesters and have been in college for about 6.5 years now as a part time student. I'm set to ace/have aced all the courses I had to drop (i'm a math major) and will probably graduate in the next year with a cumulative GPA of 3.75. My question is do I have a shot at post grad. education like a good MBA program if I have a good story for my dropping out a couple times. I plan to also do well on the standardized tests (GREor GMAT)? Who did you turn to for help/guidance in your situation that eventually landed you at Harvard
>>
>>7768410
A
>>
>>7768565

??
>>
>>7768410
>My question is do I have a shot at post grad. education like a good MBA program if I have a good story for my dropping out a couple times.

Masters' programs and MBA programs are generally considered professional programs and aren't too picky about grades or history. You're probably not going to be considered if you apply for a Ph.D, though.
>>
>>7768696

okay. thanks for the honesty. After I graduate I'm probably going to talk to a consulatant and work on the application process for 2-3 years
>>
>>7765755
>EE graduate
>2 years later, wash dishes for a living
dont do it
>>
>>7767615
>>7768782

Trolling, or redpill? I'm looking at mid-high tier schools for EE (University of Toronto or Waterloo)
>>
>>7769914

Not him, but he's definitely trolling. I go to a mid tier university and I know for a fact that f you manage at least a 3.0 gpa while studying engineering your guaranteed good full time employment.
>>
>>7769963
This. If you get a EE degree from an accredited university and get your PE-ness, anyone will hire you.

I have a 3.07, haven't even graduated yet and currently drowning in job offers.
Thread posts: 128
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.