[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what age did you learn S.I units? Do americans learn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

File: 1452050138401.jpg (174KB, 1571x910px) Image search: [Google]
1452050138401.jpg
174KB, 1571x910px
At what age did you learn S.I units?

Do americans learn it before university?
>>
>>7764988
They're taught in elementary/middle school and high school physics classes use them.
>>
>>7764988
I've known SI Units ever since I had a memory, but I had to learn the silly imperial units, because we used american books in high school.
>>
>>7764988
desu until I enrolled into m community college (19 y.o.), then again I dropped out of high school.
>>
I learned S.I. from the moment I entered school, but since starting university/co-op I've had to familiarize myself with imperial. Being Canadian is suffering since we use a mixture of the two for most industries.
>>
>>7764988
Before university? Are you kidding?

Think elementary school. All physics in America is taught in S. I. units.
>>
>be American
>learn si at the age of 9
>didn't use si regularly until high school physics, so probably 15 years old
>love si for /sci/ stuff, but still use imperial units when talking about weather, speed, distance, and weight in non /sci/ settings
>>
>>7764988
Known SI units since I was in 4th grade. I use them almost exclusively outside of dealing with idiot tailors, old people, and speed limits.
>>
Introduced to it in elementary schools. Began using it in high school chem along with sig figs etc.
>>
We learn them in elementary school and use them in science, but use imperial in our every day lives. Really, imperial is better scaled for every day.
>>
>At what age did you learn S.I units?
Er, when I was nine or something, in math class? I dunno, it's been a while.
>>
>>7764988
They teach SI units in high school chemistry and physics classes. And math courses AFAIK use both SI and Imperial units as early as 1st grade.

I learnt SI units at around age 10 because I thought the unit looked cool on measuring tape and then I realised that the only relevant country in this world that don't use S.I units is the US.

Back in the late 70s the government did propose to change from Imperial to S.I. but later on rejected it because "it would cost too much to replace all the roadsigns".
>>
>>7764988
Ive known them since before i entered school, because i.had a ruler with both inches and centimeters on it, and i.found it fascinating
>>
>>7764988
pic related is right, you know
>>
>>7765133
>imperial is better scaled for every day

That's only because you're used to it. I'm used to metric and I think it's fucking brilliant for every day life, and that's because I grew up with it
>>
>>7764988
I grew up in the SI system and I prefer Imperial for most daily things.

I don't know why plebs get elitist about trivial shit like units it's so easy to learn a new system, especially one as intuitive as the imperial system.
>>
>>7765495
It's really not.
Human sized objects are measured in cm. Kph is just as readable and actually more precise than mph.
One squared meter is roughly the space occupied by 1 sitting person.
100°C is boiling water.
0°C is freezing water, so when the weather temperature is below but close to zero, you know it's probably going to snow.
1L of water weighs 1kg and you should drink between 1 and 2L a day.

The imperial system is retarded and the metric system is just as useful in the everyday life.

And don't get me started with kilobytes being 1024 bytes, another ANSI brainfart.
>>
>>7765881
>ANSI brainfart

Computers work in powers of 2. Deal with it. Makes things easier for the people who use it. Same for SI.

Imperial also used to be useful because when it was popularized, it was based on very common things the average person could visualize. I'm Canadian, never learned Imperial officially, always metric. But for some reason the foot and the inch are easier to visualize when estimating things. I generally convert from ft/in to m/cm in my head to estimate height etc.

Though Imperial should be phased out. Having multiple systems is silly, and SI is objectively better. Without being exposed to imperial (parents) I'm sure I'd be thinking in metric just as easily, but without having to know retardedly disproportionate conversions.
>>
>>7765495
It's not though. He even compares mm to ft, which is a completely unfair comparison. That's like comparing miles to cm and saying cm is more useful.

Comparing cm to feet/in then cm are more useful for things like measuring. Especially humans. Why say 4 foot 5 inches when you can say 135 cm? The later is more accurate and in one unit. You can also call it 1.35 m which is STILL more accurate than 4' 5" .
>>
>>7765922
>Computers work in powers of 2. Deal with it. Makes things easier for the people who use it. Same for SI.
All that means is that they fucked up calling 1024 bytes a kB, because kB is [math]10^3[/math] not [math]2^10[/math]
>>
>>7765930
True. But it's so close that calling it a "two-to-the-10-o-byte" would have Americans too confused. It's roughly 1000x, so kilo is close enough for nomenclature. I guess. Idk.
>>
>>7765940
Honestly the whole KiB/MiB thing isn't bad, but I cannot honestly pronounce them without thinking of some sort of spurdo type thing.
>>
>>7765881
Why do you prefer C to Kelvin? C doesn't make any sense if you think about it. It's as arbitrary as F. The only thing C is good for is cooking.
>>
>>7765946
Wow.. Not sure how but I never even knew "XiB" was a different thing than "XB". I've only ever seen "KiB" and just assumed some dink put in the i from k'i'lo.

>kibibyte
>mebibyte
>gibibyte
>yobibyte

Which one of you faggots was this?
>>
>>7765133
Spoken like a true burgerclapper
>>
>>7765922
>Computers work in powers of 2. Deal with it. Makes things easier for the people who use it.
And a genuine consequence of that is that sometimes it is more convenient to display computery things in terms of numbers rounded to powers of two. The operative word here is "sometimes", however; in many other cases you still want plain old powers of ten, even when dealing with things like bytes.

Thus, the reasonable way of dealing with this is to introduce a separate set of prefixes for expressing powers of 2^10 instead of powers of 10^3. Prefixes like kibi and mebi and the like, however autistic they sound. What is certainly the WRONG way to deal with it is to just pretend 10^3 and 2^10 are equal, and conflate them to the confusion of everyone involved.
So yeah, ANSI fuckup it is.
>>
>>7765951
Marginally easier to use considerind the standard temperature range of a lab (20C vs 293K)
>>
>>7764988

I think other (American) anons are choosing to interpret OP's prompt as (when did you learn about ANY of the SI units), as opposed to my preference, (when did you learn about ALL the SI units). But I did learn all the SI units before university, though I've since forgotten some.

It is true that American anons learn about meters and liters in elementary school, but I don't recall learning about the rest until high school, some mix of time from age 15-17, between chemistry and physics. I learned what a mole was near the front of that interval, then I learned derived electrical SI units, and the fundamental one (ampere), and I learned what a candela was at one point but I don't recall ever using that one or being tested on it.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to test my memory cold right now, then I'll look up results.

"There are seven fundamental SI units":

mass: (kilo)gram (okay it's really the kilogram but I always thought that was kind of stupid with reference to the other prefixes, it should really be the gram)
length: meter (now defined as 1/299792458 of the distance traveled by light in a vacuum in one second)
electrical current: ampere (something about amount of electrical charge flowing per second, maybe. I never really understood why this one was "fundamental"; I had the vague idea that the Coulomb should be the fundamental unit)
luminous intensity: candela (defined as some nice even power-of-ten thing when presented itself in terms of other "derived" units)
amount of substance (esp. atoms): mole (~6.023x10^23, or the number of atoms of Carbon-12 in exactly one gram of a sample (gram should be fundamental, see?!)
time: second (defined in terms of some atom/molecule's somesuch-vibration)
frequency: hertz (I guessed this one)
>>
>>7764988
I'm American, grew up in southern California, go to school near the SF bay area now.

We learned SI and the shit American system at the same time. Most my class mates didn't understand why we didn't just use the one that has 10s.

In my highschool physics, math, chem, bio, and comp sci we used SI. Other courses in the humanities usually used American system if they needed to talk about areas of land or distances between places. (Like in history, econ, etc)
>>
>>7764988
So the Americans do learn S.I. in elementary school. Anyone in Canada could go their whole life never seeing imperial but most of us measure our weight and height in imperial. Because of that, I'm stuck thinking of weight in terms of imperial and everything else in metric. That's the remnants of our parents having known imperial. My height is strictly imperial but doesn't affect my notion of length in metric.
>>
>>7764988
OP's pic is kind of right.

A foot is a lot more of a practical measurement than a meter.
>>
>Canadian
>everybody measures things like highway speed/distance in km, temp in C,
>except someone's height/weight, where feet/inches and pounds are used
It's so weird up here man.
>>
>>7765951
Kelvin is arbitrary too, why 1/273,16 of the triple point of water ? It's just to fit the Celsius scale, so it's arbitrary too.
>>
File: 2.jpg (29KB, 368x456px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
29KB, 368x456px
>>7765963
It's a way for harddrive manufacturers to jew their customers

Pic related, a "terabyte" of storage
>>
>>7765922
That's why we have kibibytes, mibibytes, etc. SI prefixes are powers of 10, deal with it.
>>
>>7766178
This harddisk holds 10^12 bytes of storage, AKA a terabyte. Some 42 megabytes are used for the filesystem tables. What's the problem, exactly?
>>
>>7766186
:^) nice bait
>>
>>7765997
The kg is the Base unit because of history and cheese eating surrender monkeys. It was called a grav at first and defined as the mass of 1 cubic decimeter of water
>>
>>7766158
Is it more practical than a decimeter tho?
>>
>>7766242
My foot is literally a foot, so yes
>>
>>7766245
And if you want to measure your height, do you do so by lying on the ground while having someone else with one-foot shoes walk toe-to-toe over your body to measure your height in feet?

No? Then your shoes being one foot will not help you for measuring your height. And I daresay it doesn't help much for most other practical measurements either.
>>
>>7765059
So what are the retard units used for?
>>
File: 1445119440773.gif (114KB, 277x400px) Image search: [Google]
1445119440773.gif
114KB, 277x400px
>>7766245
>mfw this is why american cars are so shoddily put together
>Ya, dood, dis panel is totes two foots wide, I measured it mahself.
>>
File: 1441771927530.png (63KB, 720x681px) Image search: [Google]
1441771927530.png
63KB, 720x681px
>>7764988

Same shit
>>
>>7766255
It's actually a meme at this point.
>>
>>7766178
>FAT32
>>
>>7766255
Industry is slow to adapt. People still do manufacturing in inches. It's a huge problem because you can accurately convert inches to mm, but you can't resolve 1/25.4.

Otherwise, SI is used almost exclusively in technical settings in the U.S..
>>
>>7766258
beito desu
>>
File: 1417802003851.jpg (135KB, 926x875px) Image search: [Google]
1417802003851.jpg
135KB, 926x875px
>>7766284
>>
>>7764988
Europfag here. Imperial units are much more intuitive. I grew up with the metric system, but if an american asked me how long a foot is I'd know instantly.. by looking at my foot. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter which you use in daily life. They're just numbers that you get used to.
>>
>>7764988
I learned them when I was 6 but I was homeschooled.
>>
>>7766320
did you get blowjobs from mommy too ?
>>
>>7766281
>Otherwise, SI is used almost exclusively in technical settings in the U.S..

Construction and civil engineering in general is mostly imperial.
>>
>>7766319

I know this post is b8 but it still made me rage.
>>
>>7765997
>number of atoms of Carbon-12 in exactly one gram of a sample
12 gram sample
>>
>>7764988
Probably since 8th or 9th grade.
>>
>>7765094
This, exactly this.
>>
>>7764988
They're usually introduced in middle school and almost exclusively used in science classes in high school (at least for me). SI is used in any STEM field in America, the Imperial system is more for convenience and usually used just for weight, temperature and distance.
>>
>>7766363
This

Construction is 99% Imperial.
>>
I think the problem with the metric system isn't so much the system itself, but the numerical system. It is an outdated system. We developed mathematics to be composed of 10s, because we have ten fingers. But now, people are safely secure and no longer live in a hunter-gatherer society, and as a result, we might want to come up with a different numerical system than the one we currently have.

One that is based on triangles would be sufficient.
>>
>>7767039
>based on triangles
This is why /sci/ is dead.
>>
>>7767044
What?

I like triangles.
>>
>>7767058
triangles are shit

dodecagon master race
>>
>>7767080
>dodecagon
Lel.

Try octagons.

But no seriously, what geometrical shape is more unifying and pure than a triangle. The monad is equivalent to a triangle, numero-geometrically.
>>
>>7766242
Why does it seem like the decimeter is never used? I agree that the foot is a pretty useful unit, so why do I never see its si counterpart?
>>
I actually wasn't formally taught anything in imperial units (other than conversion factors) until I started taking engineering courses in college. All pure-science courses I took, even going back to middle school, were taught primarily in S.I.
>>7766255
Daily life, trades and some engineering.
>>
>>7766255
It's used because plebs can quickly visualize the "human sized" base units when reading non scientific every day measurements for things like weather, land area, height, distance, etc.

As far as /sci/ goes there's only a few industries that use imperial units, because as >>7766281 said, industry is in no real hurry to change what's worked for them for however many year.
>>
>>7767080
Dodecagons are memes you saw on futurama
Leibniz himself says hexagons are besto shapeo
>>
Parents are eurogod tier so naturally I'm trilingual and think intuitively in SI units.
>>
>>7764988
I was familiar and more comfortable with SI rather than ANSI when I was in highscool as an American. Though I did come from the smartest part of the country.
>>
>>7765059
>All physics in America is taught in S. I. units.
>almost every american made physics book has a seperate SI version for the rest of the world or has 50/50 imperial and SI problems
Nice try burger
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.