[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do people think of geologists? I am thinking of switching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: 800_600_5807318584e3f8fa41647e.jpg (60KB, 600x381px) Image search: [Google]
800_600_5807318584e3f8fa41647e.jpg
60KB, 600x381px
What do people think of geologists?
I am thinking of switching out of engineering into geology for my college major and even though it will not change whether or not I switch, I was wondering what /sci/ and people in general think of geologists and about a person when they say they are a geologist or geo-scientist?
>>
File: aXm2569xjU.jpg (52KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
aXm2569xjU.jpg
52KB, 650x650px
nothing?
>>
>>7764328
They call geology "rocks for jocks" for a reason
>>
>>7764328
if you like it, then go for it

i started studying geology years ago, but in my country geology is focused solely on mining and making big bucks for the likes of bhp billiton, and so. you do make big moneys there, though.

where i am now, geology is more field trips, rock looking and geology as you know it

if youre worried about the image you give as a geologist, then youre an idiot, do something because you like it, not because its well perceived
>>
Not the coolest social image. You're not, say, a mathematician. But still a scientist I guess, and geologists have good salaries and job prospects.
>>
>>7764328
/sci/? Anything less pure than mathematics is a meme degree for chads.

IRL? There's not many degrees with any real cachet, it's what you do with it that counts. Don't be sucked into hierarchical uni autist pissing contests, degree prestige is nonsense.

I'm in second year, I'm finding it much more applied than other sciences I'm doing at the moment, get to do a lot of interpretation and field trips, very good fun.

You could combine the two and do geotechnical engineering if engineering still has some interest for you.
>>
File: aXm9410xjU.jpg (138KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
aXm9410xjU.jpg
138KB, 650x650px
>>7765718
not worried, just interested in what my chinese cave painting forums say about it.

>>7765732
My best friend is a math major does that count?

>>7765739
Where I'm at we have mining engineering instead of geotechnical. Im thinking of dropping that though because I hate (advanced) math and it doesn't come as easily as natural sciences do for me.
>>
>>7764328
Pretty Mineral, OP.

>Torbernite is the mineral from hell. The prism shaped green crystals form as secondary deposits in granitic rocks, and are composed of uranium. Formed through a complex reaction between phosphorous, copper, water and uranium, the stunning crystal displays have seduced many mineral collectors into taking a sample for a shelf collection. If the uranium decay from a pocket sized Chernobyl were not enough, lethal radon gas capable of causing lung cancer slowly releases from these hot rocks. This is one crystal to leave alone. Torbernite can occur in granite, so your stone countertop just might contain traces of torbernite. The bright green crystal blooms were used by prospectors as indicators of uranium deposits.
http://listverse.com/2013/03/07/10-most-deadly-rocks-and-minerals/

Lol, I have 6 of those in my personal collection.
>>
File: aXm7065xjU.jpg (43KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
aXm7065xjU.jpg
43KB, 650x650px
>>7766239
stay safe friend. I mostly have lots of cool gemstones in my collection. some nice fossils and pretty rocks too tho.
>>
>>7764328
Biomathatics researcher here.
Geodudes are senpai, go for it. Become the next Stephen Jay Gould.
>>
senpai
>>
>>7766870
>senpai
bros*
>>
>>7764328

I generally consider geology to be a hobby degree. Most people I know with geology degrees have never worked a job that had anything to do with geology.

But relax. An even bigger hobby degree is archaeology. I don't personally know anyone with a degree in archaeology who has ever worked as an archaeologist.
>>
There's money to be made in mining and industry from it, and a lot of times, other scientists use geology in their work (eg paleontologists). If it's what you want to do, follow your heart [spoiler]faggot[/spoiler]
>>
>>7766239
Pretty rad
>>
Go for it OP. It's much more applied than almost every other science out there, it's loadsafun and you can get autismal with it. What you can do really ranges on how much you time and effort you put into it. You might become a prospector or assorted rockfag without trying too much, but if you're willing to study it, you can get into geophysics, geochemistry, civil/hydro engineering and the list goes on. Basically combine any 2 fields of science and you get some variant of geology.

Also, the field work is loadsafun.

>>7766886
You don't know many people, do you?
>>
>>7767343

I know plenty of people.

I know people with geology degrees who are having very successful carreers as geologists.

I also know people with geology degrees who have never worked a day in their life as a geologist.

By the way, a completely off-topic story, someone was really impressed with me in college because of a geologist.

He was in a bar in an oil town when a geologist walked in and heard him say something about my hometown. He walked up to the geologist and told him that he knew someone from that town. The geologist looked at him and said "It must have been one of the ____ boys" saying my last name. Sure enough, it was.
>>
>>7768209
cool story famillia
>>
Studied it for a while, was a big bunch of fun
>>
File: geofags.png (2MB, 1366x659px) Image search: [Google]
geofags.png
2MB, 1366x659px
>>
>>7766886
I personally know 3 people with archaeology degrees, all of which are employed. So, ya know, 100% of archaeologists must be employed.
>>
>/sci/
>people in general
pick one.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.