[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't quite understand how vaccines work, how is it that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: vaccine2.png (461KB, 1296x650px) Image search: [Google]
vaccine2.png
461KB, 1296x650px
I don't quite understand how vaccines work, how is it that they inject you with dead virus cells? Virus cells are neither living nor dead so how can they inject you with something that cannot die. Are viruses like the undead?

Also why do vaccines cause pain in the injection site and sleepingess?
>>
>>7762883
I've always wondered does drinking alcohol after a vaccine mess up the vaccine and like kill the things in it?
>>
>>7762883
Viruses have two parts:
1) An outer shell that delivers the payload. This is the part the immune system detects.
2) A DNA payload that instructs the infected cell to make more viruses

Non-working or missing payload = can't replicate = virus is dead.
>>
Living and dead are arbitrary terms when it comes down to it as seen by things considered borderline like viruses. You could say they are inactive if you want but it's just semantics. Though as far as I know most vaccines do not contain inactive viruses so much as weakened viruses that can not reproduce as easily or cause nearly as much damage as a normal virus. Either way, the body easily eliminates the weakened viruses after which the body can then through the use of memory cells, which were formed from B and T cells used to fight the virus, can later be used by the body to quickly detect and eliminate the virus if it reappears.
>>
>>7762883
A more accurate term would be inactive virus, I suppose. Vaccines work by allowing the immune system to recognize the virus's signature proteins on its shell as an enemy's. So when an active virus is encountered, the body is already prepared to destroy it.

The side effects are likely caused by the body being fooled into thinking the vaccine is a real threat. Fever, swelling, and fatigue can be caused by the body's immune response itself.
>>
>>7762897
Do they act like viruses like move around and shit except they are basically sterile?

Also how do scientists remove the virus's innards and why can't they do that with AIDS and make an AIDS vaccine?
>>
>>7762916
AIDS, like most viruses we can't effectively vaccinate against, mutates too rapidly and has too many configurations. The AIDS strain anybody actually encounters will be too different from the one you made the vaccine from.
>>
>>7762916
Pretty sure AIDS is unique in that it attacks the immune system itself, has some weird cloaking mechanisms. This was probably a result of moving too many equatorial people into the northern hemisphere where they develop rickets and weak immune systems from lack of Vitamin D. It won't be long now - for mother nature to spawn something very ridiculous!
>>
>>7762932
Just as importantly, HIV hides and reproduces inside some of the cells that are recruited to fight it.
>>
>>7762916
There are lots of types of vaccines, but attenuated vaccines are used for viruses. The viruses contained in the vaccine are functional mutants of the original virus causing the disease. To create these vaccines viruses are injected in foreign hosts like tissue cultures or animals where in order to survive they will mutate into a slightly different form, thus adapting to the new environment but also being less effective at reproducing in the original host (human). Since they are less virulent in humans now, they can be injected into humans (too slow at reproducing to cause damage unless the individual is immunocompromised) to hopefully trigger a wide enough immune response (antibodies that will also be able to counter the non-mutant original virus due to similarity between the two virus samples) to battle the disease. AIDS just mutates on its own far too much even while inside humans for us to be able to use even wide attenuated vaccines against it, just like >>7762932 said. Sorry if the explanation is convoluted.

As for how scientists can rip proteins out of viruses or bacteria look up protein purification.
>>
I has a question, since the virus you are injected with cannot reproduce, how in the hell does your body have time to build up a temporary immunity to the virus? Wouldn't the virus quickly be flushed from your system within a few days and removed from the bloodstream via the kidneys?

I don't get why they say it takes 2 to four weeks for the vaccine to work, does the virus stay in your body that long even though it cannot reproduce?
>>
>>7762942
>AIDS just mutates on its own far too much even while inside humans for us to be able to use even wide attenuated vaccines against it

Holy crap, could AIDS be the key to immortality?

think about it, what if we removed all the genetic information from inside the AIDS virus and replaced it with healthy human genes and then inject people with it.

Like say you want to make cells that are younger or give a person with brown eyes blue eyes, could you just inject the AIDs virus into them with new genetic information and wait for it to replace all the cells in the body and presto the person will live longer or get blue eyes.

Also maybe AIDS is how we can make zombies since it mutates so fast maybe it can bring the dead back to life. Maybe AIDS is the fountain of youth?
>>
>>7762948
Yeah that's how gene therapy works, you get injected with a virus which then gives the desired gene to your cells. But it's not effective enough to make you immortal. We don't really know how to make people live longer through gene therapy.
>>
>>7762948
You just described a (very) crude version of gene therapy, which was actually based on attenuated vaccines -->https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_therapy#Background

Keep in mind that the genetic material of the virus is what gives it its stricture and function as an infector of cells, it would cease to be a delivery system if we removed all of its material. So in reality, gene therapy works by inserting in the virus certain genes that might be inactivated in the human host, so that they can express a protein that is missing for example. The virus won't replace any cells though, so the rest of your thoughts disappointingly won't come to fruition (at least in such a way).
>>
File: 1446153421790.jpg (79KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1446153421790.jpg
79KB, 640x640px
>>7762883
VIRUSES ARE NOT CELLS, THEY ARE PARASITIC MICROBES THAT REQUIRE A HOST ( CELL) TO LIVE

THERE ARE THREE TYPES OF VACCINES

ATTENUTATED - ACTIVE VIRUS THAT IS WEAK - HAVE AN EPITOPE ( KIND OF LIKE A SHAPE0 THAT FITS ONTO IMMUNE SYSTEM CELLS AND ACTIVATE THEM TO ATTACK VIRUS

SUBUNIT VACCINES- PIECE OF THE VIRUS - CREATES FLAGS FOR VIRUS KILLER CELLS WHEN EATEN THAT MATCH THE VIRUS

INACTIVATED VACCINES - THE DEAD VIRUS EVERY PART OF THE VIRUS CAN BE INTEGRATED INTO THE IMMUNE SYSTEM
>>>>>>> OP LOOK AT A VIDEO ABOUT T-CELLS AND B-CELLS AND YOU WILL UNDERSTAND HOW THE BODY DEFENDS AGAINST PATHOGENS AND VIRUSES I RECOMMEND KHAN ACADEMY <<<<<<<<<

THE IMMUNE SYSTEM TAKES THE DNA FROM THE VIRUS, EATS THE DNA, AND PUTS THE DNA ON THE SURFACE OF THE IMMUNE SYSTEM CELL LIKE A FLAG ( ANTIGEN) THE FLAG ATTRACTS IMMUNE SYSTEM DEFENSE CELLS THAT COME AND EAT ALL THE CELLS WITH THE VIRAL FLAG

THIS EXPLANATION WAS SHITTY, BUT IT REQUIRES VISUAL COMPREHENSION AND VARIOUS CONCEPTS TO UNDERSTAND DON'T LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT

-AN ACTUAL SCIENTIST, IN BEFORE THE HATERS
>>7762967
FUCK YOU GUYS ARE TRIGGERING ME THAT ISN'T GENE THERAPY FUCKER, THAT'S VIRAL THERAPEUTICS, WHICH IS A METHOD OF GENE THERAPY.
>>
>>7762969
Further clarification because I wrote it in a confusing way: In the process of creating viruses for a gene therapy process, viral genetic material is actually removed and replaced by the genes needed, but you can't have it reproduce and spread further because no more viruses are created since the genetic material of the original virus is missing, only proteins that are needed are expressed.
>>
File: 1323246291573.png (10KB, 408x286px) Image search: [Google]
1323246291573.png
10KB, 408x286px
>>7762936
>This was probably a result of moving too many equatorial people into the northern hemisphere where they develop rickets and weak immune systems from lack of Vitamin D

>AIDS virus rate of mutation
>Related to lack of Vitamin D
>>
>>7762883

Generally there are two types of life, eukaryotic cells like plants, animals, fungi and protists and prokaryotic cells like bacteria and archaeabacteria. Eukaryotes have organelles and a nucleus with nuclear chromosomal DNA, prokaryotes don't have internal membrane bound organelles and their DNA is circular and in the cytoplasm.

Viruses don't really fall into any category, they can infect eu- and prokaryotic cells, they're just DNA enclosed in a protective coating with other proteins that allow it to enter the cell through receptors and enzymes that allow it to hijack the infected cells replication proteins.

Viruses have no metabolic capabilities so they have to use the energetic molecules produced by the host cell, I think that is what makes them not considered living. I think it could be argued either way, but I don't consider viruses life.

I'm gonna try an analogy, I don't know if it will make sense: Let's say there's a homeless guy who has spent tons of his time in a library reading cooking books, haute cuisine, all that fancy shit, and is very knowledgeable about it. Is he a chef? He could breaks into some rich guy's house who went on vacation and use his kitchen to cook something nice for himself. I'd say even though the homeless guy has the potential and the knowledge to be a chef, but he doesn't have a job or a kitchen or ingredients to actively cook all the time, which are things you need to be called a chef.
>>
>>7763031
>I'm gonna try an analogy
That's a pretty bad analogy, if anything. You could of said Viruses are like those species of birds who invades another bird's nest to lay their eggs, tricking the owner of the nest to use all its resources to feed and nourish that baby bird.
>>
>>7763031
>but I don't consider viruses life.
What's also weird, viruses do evolve, which is a common thing seen in living organisms.
>>
>>7762916
>like move around and shit
Even "live" viruses don't move around on their own power. A virus is like a mousetrap or a cluster mine, it waits around until it can do the one thing it does: deliver the payload.
>>
>>7762883
They don't. It is just a placebo. They are used for drugging the populace. Especially children. It makes them easier to control and less smart. It also gives them long term diseases so that the medical community can get more money out of the patient.
>>
>>7762967
>But it's not effective enough to make you immortal.

Why not?
>>
>>7763031
I think Eukaryotic cells disprove evolution as Megan fox demonstrates in this video, how eukaryotic cells prove evolution is bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32mxZxv3dYM
>>
Human body recognizes parts of a virus' surface as part of it's defense. Recognize it, mark it for destruction.

Vaccines are exploded versions of virus', such that there's broken shells of the surface for our body to learn to recognize it.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.