[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea ses/2015-12/aaft-hec1223

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: Epigenetics.jpg (99KB, 400x517px) Image search: [Google]
Epigenetics.jpg
99KB, 400x517px
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-12/aaft-hec122315.php

Any biologyfags here? What do we know about epigenetics?
>>
>>7759868
It's cool. It probably explain why tumblr kids are a bunch of faggots.
>>
File: 1445628160743-1.jpg (362KB, 918x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1445628160743-1.jpg
362KB, 918x1260px
>>7759868
Interested

Bump
>>
I don't work specifically on that field but I work adjacent to it. I also have friends working in that field.

Any specific questions or just a synopses?
>>
Very little. It's probably the newest and biggest field in Biochem and bio today.
>>
>>7760002
Just a synopsis to begin with, I guess. Might be able to pose some better questions following
>>
>>7760217
Basically, whether a gene is present or not isn't as important as where when or if it's even expressed. Genes can essentially be turned in or off by other genes in very complicated cascades, by environmental factors, etc etc. We're even seeing evidence that current expression of genes can be passed to offspring.
>>
>>7759868
extremely overrated when it is used to describe things being passed down.

epigenetic scrubbing happens twice and basically "clears" any information.
>>
>>7760234

>whether a gene is present or not isn't as important as
>isn't as important

At best, it is equally important. At worst, it is unimportant.

No no way is epigenetics more important than the genes it, necessarily, must affect.
>>
>>7760937
the secret is the term epigentics is very open ended and can be extended to describe anything environment wise

So malnutrition can be described as "epigenetics" then people say epigenetics is more important than genes. The trick of epigenetics is understanding the social programming it is used as in popular culture. AKA Genes don't matter, it's just epigenetics.
>>
>>7760966

If you don't have genes that code for proteins that create cells that create tissues for a gastrointestinal tract, then malnutrition becomes a moot point.
>>
File: Dnaconformations.png (518KB, 800x927px) Image search: [Google]
Dnaconformations.png
518KB, 800x927px
My azn molecular biology teacher, in order to stress to us the importance of epigenetics, told us a long story of how Stalin (being advised by Lysenko) forced people living in a certain region of China to wear warm pants during the winter. After one generation, their offspring couldn't survive the cold without wearing the warm pants.

Google: Lysenkoism +China. It's some crazy shit.
>>
>>7759868
We know absolutely nothing about how it works, practically. Only theory.

Anyone who says they truly understands it is lying, we only have vague ideas about how it might work.
>>
>>7759868
>>7760022
>>7761050

I really like this kind of emerging science.
>>
>>7761047
Nevermind, my memory of the situation was faulty. It was long underwear, and took a few generations. Still, what the fuck.

http://east-mania.com/archives/1664
>>
>>7760234

>We're even seeing evidence that current expression of genes can be passed to offspring.

This is interesting because it points toward the pathway for evolution. It's also something I took into account when considering having offspring of my own.
>>
File: 1448528544847.jpg (102KB, 780x780px) Image search: [Google]
1448528544847.jpg
102KB, 780x780px
>>7761047
thats pretty fkn neat

thx

pic related
>>
>>7759868
>What do we know about epigenetics?
The majority of epigenetic switches simply turn on and off genes, those switches that determine splicing of gene products are also determined by your genes

The title is very misleading, your genes are still very much your destiny
>>
>>7760022
I suggest you read up a little. This post would make more sense 6 years ago
>>
>>7759868
I know very little about epigenetics but to my understanding isn't it like the whole giraffe idea?

I don't know it doesn't make sense to me honestly because how does that affect the sex cells? I mean sure you could have some tiny effect in your neck muscles but it doesn't seem to translate to the sperm/eggs .
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 540x660px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 540x660px
>>7761157
>but to my understanding isn't it like the whole giraffe idea?
>giraffe idea

What?
>>
>>7761164
That giraffes necks were long because they ate leaves from tall trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamarckism
>>
Lamarckism is not commonly accepted as we all know, and epigenetics is more about the activation of genes due to environmental factors, not such that the underlying nucleic material is altered, but expressed differently. From a broad perspective, it's really a gesture to how metabolic activity copes or takes advantage of certain stressors.
>>
File: 1.1235242920.giraffe-eating[1].jpg (67KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
1.1235242920.giraffe-eating[1].jpg
67KB, 550x413px
>>7761169
Not usually. Giraffes are a terrible example because their long necks force them into awkward, vulnerable positions to drink water.

Epigenetics is similar to lamarckism because things that happen during the parent's life effects the expression of genes in the child. It differs from lamarckism if you go any further than that. Someone survived a harsh famine and had a kid afterward? Expect the kid to have +1 famine resistance.
>>
>>7761237
Nice bait.
If you really want to know about epigenetics then go read the wikipedia page. It's basically heritable DNA-methylation.
>>
>>7761253

I would argue (lol, like I matter) that epigenetics is any hereditable characteristic not directly transcribed by nuclear DNA.

So, endosymbiosis would be a type of epigenetic trait.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.