[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /sci/. Need to construct pic related, any ideas? Don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (15KB, 795x323px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
15KB, 795x323px
Hey, /sci/.

Need to construct pic related, any ideas?

Don't know what parts to use, how to bring the main pipe down to an adapter for a valve etc.
Also don't know what sort of valve to use to inject the oxygen into the tube.

It's for a hybrid rocket, so needs to be fairly strong. No woods or plastics. Weight is not an issue.

Feel free to ask me anything you need to know.
>>
File: file.png (7KB, 637x244px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
7KB, 637x244px
How it needs to look when finished building.
>>
only way to do it is to weld the shit together.

you need a tube for the end on your right welded to a circular plate, with a hole in the center. Then you need a pipe for the main body. I don't know wtf you have going on on the left.

What kind of valve depends on what you want to do, how you want to actuate it, how you need to control flow. If this thing is going to be moving and not a bench model you will need an electrically actuated valve. Which means you will also need to carry a battery. If you need precise metering of the ox flow, or if you need a wide range of different flow rates you will need a servo controlled valve. Then you will need a PLC of some sort that you can program, in addition to the battery.
>>
>>7759827
No welding tools.
>>
>>7759928

need to know more about the dimensions you are working with. You can buy pre threaded pipe components, but based on your drawing it would be hard to neck your big part down to your small part just with reducer bushings.

One way you could do it is build it like a tie bar type hydraulic cylinder.

So you get a plate to make up your end that the oxygen is going in. I would suggest aluminum.

Then drill 4 holes for the tie bars

Then drill a hole in the center you can tap with pipe thread for your oxygen tube

buy a pre threaded pipe nipple for your oxygen tube.

get a section of pipe or tube for the big part

make another plate similar to the one you just made for the ass end of the assembly

get some threaded rod, sandwich the center barrel between the 2 end caps and draw together with nuts

seal the seams off with epoxy or solder. If you were to really do it right you would machine a groove in the cap plates for the barrel to seat into, and seal itself, but I doubt you have those capabilities.

source, I own a machine shop.
>>
>>7760212
Yeah, I was thinking of doing something like that. Could I cut a groove for the metal tube (unthreaded) in a base plate with a lathe?
>>
>>7760216

yes

I would do it on a cnc mill and cut the groove and do the holes all at the same time

you can also make each end cap out of 2 plates. Then instead of a groove cut a hole the full diameter of you barrel in one of the plates. So the barrel passes through one plate and butts to the second plate. You would have to have nuts on both sides of your end caps then to hold the plates together. Or just have 2 hole patterns. 1 for the tie bars an one to hold the plates together with bolts.
>>
>>7760288
No access to a CNC mill, unfortunately.
>>
>>7760288
What do you think about in terms of putting O-rings on either cap?
>>
>>7760212
Alright, here's my rough plan then.

Stainless steel, 1.5mm thickness 70x150mm tube

Two end plates with your second construction method (not sure what metal I'll use)

Need to put O-rings in there so it doesn't explode/lose pressure

How should I mount the inlet valve for the oxygen, and the engine bell?
>>
>>7760599

Is it going to get hot though? The o rings will melt if it does. You can get high temp sealant. You could be less precise with your machining if you had something you could glop in there.

If you are using a pipe nipple for your inlet then you will have male pipe thread on either end. One screws into your end cap. The other end screws into your valve body (sub base).

So you need a 2 position, 2 way directional valve, with a sub base, (this is just an aluminum block that is already ported for the valve, and the ports for the fluid or gas to go through. Usually ports in sub bases like this are o-ring boss. So you just need an adapter to go from the male pipe thread nipple that is coming out of your end cap, to the o ring boss port in the sub base. Then you need to plumb the other port in the valve body to your oxygen.
>>
>>7760599

what is the engine bell?

I don't see why you would use anything but aluminum for the oxygen end. If the other end gets real hot then use steel or stainless.

You want to avoid stainless for anything you are going to machine. Its a bitch to cut.
>>
>>7760642
Engine bell is the exhaust, it's a small cylinder with some internal milling.
>>
>>7761309

Then you build it the same way you do the inlet end, it attaches via the tie bars
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.