[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to git gud at chess?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: slide-3.jpg (187KB, 1600x1069px) Image search: [Google]
slide-3.jpg
187KB, 1600x1069px
How to git gud at chess?
>>
>>7758894
by talking about it theoretically, and never playing it
>>
Play it a lot
>>
>>7758894
Generally same as any other thing imaginable. Practice
>>
inb4 contrarians who are bad at chess saying it doesn't require intelligence but instead practice
>>
>>7758971
This. Then memorize a billion different openers and defences to actually get competitive.
>>
>>7758971
>Play it a lot

This, but more specifically play it against people who are better.
>>
>>7758992
More specifically, people.

Unless enjoying the game is not why you want to get good at it.
>>
>>7758986
Always that one IQ thread starter
>>
>>7758894
Play against others or a computer with either a board or an app.

Loose miserably everytime.

Begin to realize there is a deeper underlying pattern behind the gameplays as opposed to mere brute force.

Analyze and Mimic this pattern better and better until the strategy becomes intuitive and learn from your mistakes and losses.

Realize chess is now easy and intuitive.
>>
http://lichess.org/Sjz72tOV
>>
>>7758990
yeah, that's the part that bores me to death.
>>
You study opening theory, you study middlegame theory, tactics and endgame theory and you practice a lot.
I used to beat everyone when i was little thus never studied chess theory, then you face federated players and you regret never having studied...
>>
>>7759022
>You study opening theory, you study middlegame theory, tactics and endgame theory
waste of time
every chess book boils down to this:

Opening: don't fuck up
Middle: REALLY don't fuck up
Endgame: if you aren't winning, resign
>>
http://lichess.org/UmSbQajV
>>
>>7758971
>>7758990
>>7758992
from playing another game competitively, I'd say playing a lot is not enough.
You know that friend who plays dota or lol every single day but can't get out of whatever division?
Well that's the same in chess. You could play every single day and not get much better.
What you need is to analyze your mistakes and when you practice, to practice on getting better in those areas.

I'm not good at chess, but if I had to identify an obvious mistake that I make consistently, it would be that in the middle-game I tend to let myself go and not try to plan much longer ahead. I remember very clearly games where I didn't make this mistake and they went much much better than usual.

Playing with players of your level or slightly above you will highlight your worst mistakes (because they're the easiest to pick on for your opponent). Playing against much stronger people will probably teach you nothing, just like playing againt people who know jack shit.
>>
>>7758894
I enjoy the planning/mental aspect of chess. But getting gud requires reading a fuckton of books and memorising all sorts of different set plays. Who has time for that?

I don't mind being a social chess scrub.
>>
As i used to be a chess player i can tell you that if you want to become an actual player you should want to go to a chess club or get a teacher, now if you want to become a casual good player i can think of what you need to do:
-learn openings from both sides, the more you learn the better you will get (a lot of people just manage two openings one for each side)
-as there are a lot variations of the openings you either play the theory or try to outplay it, so try to get better at solving problems
-chesse, try to learn a lot of gambits of the positions of your openings
-if you want to get better at getting an advatange you could try to solve chess problems, start with the easy ones like "White mates in 2 moves", i cant tell you that an advantage for casual players its one piece, but an advantage can be also a position, a winning final.
-Finals, you might want to take a look at this when you are a better player, there are a lot of postions that are decided by times, or pawns positions so if you have the same pieces of your oponent you will know when its a draw, lose or win position (try to take a look at the concept "oposition" or "losing times". If you are a basic player you can try to rely on your oponent's error. YOU HAVE TO learn the basic endings like king-queen mate king-rook mate king-pawn king-bishop-knight
- its difficult to be a good chess player, this is like the most basic stuff you need to be a player, i played for 4 years and train with IM's MN's, i've was able to qualify for one national tournament and played against the best in my country, i wasnt even close with the best ones, even thought i trained and played with them before.
>>
>>7758894
memorize every playstyle
>>
“The greatest enemy will hide in the last place you would ever look.”

—Julius Caesar 75 BC

“The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent.”

—Fundamentals of Chess1883

“First rule of business, protect your investment.”

—Etiquette of the Banker1775

“There is no avoiding war, it can only be postponed to the advantage of your enemy.”

—Niccolo Machiavelli 1502

>statham.jpg
>>
File: 1437070951287.jpg (42KB, 712x712px) Image search: [Google]
1437070951287.jpg
42KB, 712x712px
I run a summer camp for little Asian kids that could beat any of you guys.
Basically just pick a meme opening like the Bongcloud, open a beer, and start moving randomly. Works every time.
>>
>>7759673
Great tips desu

>>7758894
Just like you do in every turn-based strategy game ever, you practice and learn some tactics. Playing defensive and wait the opponent to fuck up is usually a good start I guess
>>
~1800 uscf rating here, here's what you should do
>play a lot
>do tactic problems
>learn basic shit like mating with a rook and king
>learn basic opening rules (dont move your queen to much, develop pieces, castle etc)
>learn basic stuff about evaluating a position (doubled pawns etc)
if you are a beginner most of your games will be decided by "who hangs more pieces" so you don't need to memorize shit
>>
>>7760480
you dont need to memorize shit up untill master level, just stick to opening principles and play aggresively.
>>
>>7758894
read the theory, then apply it. repeat
>>
>>7758894
Chess rating 1200. Been playing since i was 14(27 now, Dont play much anymore) Play alot, you learn from your mistakes, study openings and endings, learning to control the center is something better learned by playing better players until your rating is over 1000. Study the queens gambit, the french, and kings openings to start, if you are less the 1k these will be common games in chess clubs, for fun as well as tourneys. Other than that, you have to figure out what makes it easier for you to study. All ppl are different. It took me 221 games to beat my dad, who is 1400 average. And Have a good time.
>>
>>7758894
>>>/tg/
>>
>>7761134
>1200
fucking kek
You think that's impressive?
Please tell me you made a typo
>>
File: shaked.jpg (56KB, 458x300px) Image search: [Google]
shaked.jpg
56KB, 458x300px
>chess
how pedestrian. learn bridge instead.
>>
>>7761134
>1200
HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA
>>
>>7761835
>posting pictures of messianic jews who want to kill all goys

are you a c.uck or a kike?
>>
>>7761916

Hey, would you be able to explain to me why /pol/ crossboarders can never keep their memes within their own board?
>>
>>7761916
A kek.
>>
>>7761924
Lebensraum.
>>
>>7762027
loled
>>
>>7761835
>bridge
Do you enjoy mingling with the common dullard?
Try Go.
>>
>>7762325
>Go
my otaku-dar is buzzing
>>
>>7758894
people who play chess are people who fail at go. chess was invented as a game for mentally challenged people. pic related is the typical chess player.
>>
>>7762384
Go is Chinese not Japanese.
>>
>>7762429
Ẁhy do chessfags and gofags hate on each other? Can't we all be friends for once?
>mfw I fail at both
>>
>>7762535
i'm too retarded for both. doesn't prevent me from shitposting though.
>>
>>7759035
>if you aren't winning resign

where's the fighting spirit? You must be a very weak player
>>
>>7762577
yes fuck that
>be playing nice casual chess game
>take opponents queen
>he immediately resigns
pff
>>
1. Play a lot
2. Memorize a bunch of shit
3. Watch pros; understand
4. Use a chess engine to analyse your games
>>
tactics and end game

then openings and positional theory
>>
>>7762535
I honestly like both, I just like to take a side for the fun of it.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.