[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Open Source and Freelance Programming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 5

File: fb319150b6c6d9816047ed9eae.png (60KB, 459x330px) Image search: [Google]
fb319150b6c6d9816047ed9eae.png
60KB, 459x330px
Any programmers out there with advice on where to find open source projects to work on and/or how to start out as a freelance programmer?

I recently quit my hellish job programming for a major corporation (fixing bugs that have been around for 10+ years, doing all the work that nobody else would touch, etc.), and want to work on projects I'm at least somewhat interested in.

I love programming to the point where it becomes addicting but don't know where to start to build a portfolio and all that. I want to learn more languages but don't think the online tutorials will really help me learn anything important. I'm not a hardcore programmer (yet) but would like to learn more through working on actual projects with others who wouldn't mind me not being an expert
>>
Write software that you're interested in. If you like operating systems then write your own operating system, etc.
>>
>>6909718
It seems like everything has been done. I come up with ideas once in awhile but a quick google search shows it's already been done.

I'd rather work on open source software with people who are more experienced to expand my knowledge but don't know what the protocol is for that when you don't know anyone.

Any advise for finding projects on github etc.?
>>
>>6909718
is it actually possible for one man to write an entire operating system, not unix based one.
>>
>>6909739
temple os
>>
>>6909739
A modern operating system? No. Windows has like 50 million lines of code, most distros of linux are probably up there too.

A small, barebones one? Yes.
>>
>>6909711
>pic
i'm the one on the left. that's good, right?
>>
>>6909813
Same here... I think it makes the code easier to read that way.
>>
>>6909813
>>6909826
You are both cancer.
>>
> I recently quit my hellish job programming for a major corporation
I did this and went freelance, and then a year later went back to blissful corporate work.

Basically, the problem is that when you're starting out, you're competing for contracts against Indian and Chinese companies that pay their programmers about $1/hour. You'll see a job that you estimate will take you (an efficient programmer) about 40 hours, and there will be bids for $100 on it.

And most of them aren't terribly rewarding. Sure, you came up with an elegant way of parsing the text file database-like-thing of a company to extract their inventory into web pages that can be displayed on a tablet... but can you make this button a bit bigger? And maybe put a color gradient on it? Oh, and it should change when you push it, you know? I don't know, just change. No, not like that. Look, we've become really disappointed in your performance; I think you should only get paid half what we promised....
>>
>>6909739
I wrote a multitasking OS for my Arduino. It's got virtual memory and a custom file system.

Anyway, writing (most of the functional componets of) an OS is a standard 3rd year project, isn't it?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_Another_Completely_Heuristic_Operating_System
> http://homes.cs.washington.edu/~tom/nachos/
provides a nice framework... a MIPS emulator and a general outline.
>>
>>6909813
Yes, braces should open and close at the same indentation.
>>
I use the left style for function declarations, and the other style for everything else.

int
balls(int x)
{
....int i;

....for(i = 0; i < 10; ++i){
........if(i % x)
............printf("penis\n");
....}

....return i;
}
>>
>>6909711
>the right picture
disgusting, would not want to compile/10
>>
>>6909883
Why? The closing braces are in-lane with the logical block they represent

K&R is master race
>>
>>6909711
>>6909711
>>6909711
can we talk about this pic

is anyone here actually autistic enough to judge someone based on how much empty space is in your code?
>>
>>6909887
>asking this on /sci/
>>
>>6909887
>never took a cs class
>>
>>6909875
How long ago did you go freelance? I've heard bad stories but not that bad. I also know someone who graduated around the same time I did and he's been designing websites for small companies for years and gets paid pretty well for it.

I may go back to corporate work eventually but the job I was at was hell... I spent around 90% of my time there debugging other peoples code with no comments or documentation and I just couldn't take it anymore.

I've saved enough money to live comfortably for a couple years or so and still want to give it a shot. Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.
>>
>>6909778
>windows
>not bloated
>>
>>6909889
>>6909894
yeah I get it "hahaha people in science and on 4chan are autistic by default! XDDD" no really though why do you act the way you do?

I've taken a couple CS classes and they've never given a fuck if you have extra white spaces. and for the record my coding style if more akin to the right
>>
>>6909711
>pic
Autist and reasonable people?
>>
>>6909813
I'm more left than right, but I indent my braces.
>>
>>6909940
this, ident braces and indent the block once more after that
>>
>>6909946
that sounds awful.
>>
>>6909919
>>6909887
I'm a professional programmer and I couldn't care less where your brackets are as long as your code isn't spaghetti.
>>
>>6909711
I had a project lead that was "hurr hurr egyptian braces omg so bad"

Really, he was just a dickwaving autist and liked the extra "lines" it added to his code. e.g., "Check out this 350 line interface for our legacy sql backed platforms, we can start backporting data into our current mongo backed platforms"

It's like

nigger

no one cares that it's 350 lines
>>
>>6909962
What do you program?
>>
I'm wondering the same stuff as OP except I'm just getting into things, I haven't had a programming job before... or any job.... I am looking at what I can do for that and just job experience, I got accepted into a local job help program and I'll be meeting with them for them starting the week after next, and I asked at the computer repair place up the road and they're set for now and probably for a while, checked out a number and it was a scummy door-to-door thing. I didn't finish college, that's the big obstacle.
also, the one one the left
why? OCD tendencies and just because fuck you, that's why
>>
*meeting with them for that, for help; they weren't specific about training versus placement versus interning versus whatever
>>
>>6909985
Only professional shit.
>>
>>6909895
>debugging other peoples code with no comments or documentation
↑ this ↑ describes perfectly the BigCorp concept of a "programming position"
• here Anon, get this to work
• does it work yet?
• does it work yet?
• what's the holdup?
• does it work yet?
• does it work yet?
>>
>not adding leading and trailing spaces to your conditional clause

abso-fucking-lutely disgusting
>>
>>6910034
God I hate it when people do that. It just makes the code look so odd to me and I don't see the point... maybe just an ocd thing.

I always take out those spaces when I'm working with other people's code.
>>
>>6910034
>additional characters

it will compile longer.
>>
>>6910057
>muh millionths of a second
>>
>>6909969
he probably meant that 350 is smallish for the task. no one brags about bloated code.
>>
>>6910019
Holy shit, this is my job.
>>
>>6909813
>>6909826
please leave /sci/ and never come back
>>
>>6910057
Then why not just write all your code on a single line, without any whitespace characters whatsoever?
>>
>>6909711
If you want to get involved in open-source the best way is to find a relatively large project on github and look through its issues. I maintain a project with around 3.5k stars on github and am always really happy when someone provides a fix for an issue or tracks down what's causing it, as it takes up less of my time. It's best to let the maintainer know you're doing this beforehand though as otherwise it might end up being a waste of your time.
>>
>>6910689
I think it would be difficult to read that way.
>>
>>6909813
Fuck the one on the left. Just makes shit take up more space without improving readability at all.
>>
>>6909813
Also, fuck languages that make me use brackets.
>>
>>6909881
>Write code that prints "penis" for each multiple of x
>Doesn't surround the print with brackets because fuck it, its only one line and C syntax allows it
>Some noob comes along and extends the capabilities to print something else
>Doesn't realize there are no brackets around the conditional
>Suddenly this shit is printing penis for EVERY FUCKING NUMBER
>Its chaos and no one can figure out the bug
>Eventually they give up, go on a murder rampage through a city and then kill themselves

The moral of this story is to always use brackets even if the syntax doesn't force you to.
>>
>>6910581
>being a retarded autist about brackets

you're supposed to follow language / group conventions for them, asswipe

in my competitive programming group and general C++ I use right, in C# for my freelance job we use left and it's what's used in C# almost everywhere

get rekt
>>
File: mah nigga.gif (2MB, 387x291px) Image search: [Google]
mah nigga.gif
2MB, 387x291px
>>6910744
>resisting the push for punctuation everywhere
>>6909881
>four spaces to a tab
>>
>>6910740
/thread
>>
Why don't you learn how to program to mobile??
>>
function ()
{
....if(...) {
.........niggers;
....}
}

Braces are lined on the same indent for functios but not for control flow.

It's called K&R style
>>
>>6909813
>not following the kernel style
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/CodingStyle
>>
File: 1362281966970.jpg (4KB, 344x240px) Image search: [Google]
1362281966970.jpg
4KB, 344x240px
>at my uni
>during C lab session
>teacher tells me to drop K&R style
>i roll my eyes at him
>he snatches the keyboard from me
>now i have to put up with this ugly GNU style
>start stomping my fist on the table chanting "K&R"
>whole lab is looking at us
>he's so embarrassed he gives the keyboard back to me
>he indented half my code so i had to fucking start all over again

Fucking cunt, this is the shit I put up with.
>>
>>6909711
I jump between both arbitrarily. Come at me cunts
>>
>>6912643
At least your not using Pico
>>
>>6909881
Let me guess, you're not a real developer, right?
>>
pretty sure the point here is to write your freaking code so it's god damn readable to somebody else in the future. It doesn't matter what the fuck it looks like to compiler, that shit doesn't care. but damn if i'm proofreading a story and that shits all kinds of fucked i'm not gonna to finish.

not hard to comment and extra tab so the shit looks nice, be fancy anon you know you want to.

fuck download notepad++ shit auto styles for you
>>
>>6909887

kill yourself, pleb
>>
>>6909711

>commenting your code

why.jpg
>>
>>6910756

this

1000x this
>>
>>6913217
Now, I'm a white space kind of guy, but what you're pointing to is a single issue, so isn't it easier to be aware of this issue when reading others' code than it is to be aware of this issue when writing your own code?
In fact it's not only easier, it's more reliable since you can assume that the programmer (whose code you are reading) isn't aware of the issue.
>>
>>6910689
Because I'm about to vomit just thinking about what that would look like.
>>
>>6909711
Don't you mean "ten types of people?"
>>
>>6910744
Enjoy your python :^)
>>
>>6909711
I'm a Lisper, so neither of these apply to me.
>>
>>6913867
>>6913736
thank you for your insight, it's very helpful and interesting!
>>
if()
{
//code
}
else
{
//code
}

OR

if() {
//code
} else {
//code
}

or somewhere inbetween?
>>
>>6913176
>Notepad++
>not using emacs
>>
>>6913211
I actually somewhat agree with this. Code shouldn't need to be commented with much more than function comments explaining input and output. The rest should document itself with good naming conventions.

good:
object_a.does_this()

bad:
x.y() // this line makes object a do this
>>
>>6914112
>emacs
>not vim
>>
>>6914326
Vim can't play tetris like emacs can, so fuck it
>>
>>6909711
The one on the right makes me cringe.
>>
File: 1384212612295.jpg (132KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1384212612295.jpg
132KB, 600x800px
>>6910740
It takes up -vertical- space.
Nobody gives a shit about vertical space you massive fucking autist.
Oh yeah lets just all hang our fucking braces off the edge of the function definition, FUCK indentation, FUCK having code "blocks" actually look like blocks and not some retarded dicksucker stylesheet.css markup fuckery.

I HAVE SEEN THIS SHIT BEFORE.
http://pastebin.com/6j3hXMDK
>>
>>6914733
>pic
isn't that the guy who wrote the /fit/ fitness guide?
>>
>>6909711
No get the fucking multiline comment out of the goddamn if-clause you fucking moron!
>>
>>6909887
Every single Python programmer for starters.
>>
>>6914737
I'm pretty sure that's mel kishida.
He did the character designs for sora no woto and hanasaku iroha.
>>
>>6909711
>that image

in college we had a guy who did
if (Condition) { Statements /* ... */}
>>
>>6915123
Which is fine if there's only one statement.
>>
>>6915123
>not condensing all the statements and comments in your conditionals and loops into single lines

It's like you're trying to be a shitty coder
>>
People regularly ask this on hackernews, and it regularly makes it to the frontpage with cool answers. Sometimes ppl ask specific things like "which open source project needs help with documentation" or whatever.
>>
>>6915398
or if it fits on one line :^)
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.