[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I used to be put off by meditation because every time I did

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

File: GlaDv3N.jpg (104KB, 500x637px) Image search: [Google]
GlaDv3N.jpg
104KB, 500x637px
I used to be put off by meditation because every time I did research on it I would roll my eyes to references of divinity and deities and I saw it all as just escapist religious bullshit.
But I still felt drawn to certain aspects of bhuddist philosophy so I would read up on it from time to time.
It turns out that the -oldest- form of mediation 'Vipassana' was so successful in creating happiness and bliss that its philosophy was hijacked by religious nutjobs who assigned a pantheon of gods and fuck loads of dogma to control the masses (caste system etc)
Anyway, the point is that Vipassana is an exercise routine for your mind. At first it allows your mind to be calmer and more focused, once you develop an enhanced focus you are able to gain a deep understanding of self and the sensations that your body and mind produce. The ultimate goal is to not only understand where certain emotions come from, but to master your behaviors in a way that leads to happiness. Imagine what you could do if you could deeply understand what makes you unhappy or anxious or socially deficient. You have an idea already like "I wasn't socialized enough as a child" or "I always say the wrong thing and I always will" or "Because I'm lonely I'll never be happy" or "Because I'll never get a girlfriend I'll always hate myself" or "I'll never be successful and so I will always be lesser in the eyes of others" the list goes on... but with vipassana you'll learn that these things don't really matter and true happiness comes from within not from things outside of yourself. Now, it's easy to say something like that but it's like kissing a girl, someone can tell you that it's a great feeling but until you've actually done it you can't know exactly what it's like. The same applies to the fruits of meditation. I can tell you what to look for but you have to find it yourself through natural means for it to make a difference.
Here's a step by step how-to
http://www.vipassanadhura.com/howto.htm
>>
So you're saying I should make peace with the status quo and just be happy?

Sounds like a pleb philosophy desu
>>
File: image.jpg (77KB, 522x512px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 522x512px
>>26411668
Yeah but isn't conforming and bitching about the status quo any better? I feel that's more pleb, senpai.
>>
>>26411692
At least if you keep bitching, it makes you more likely to change. Whereas if you just decide to be content, the next 50 years of life are just gonna be the same thing over and over until you die.

But honestly I don't know shit. Maybe getting rid of your emotions would make you more productive. Personally, I would worry that it would make me care less about everything and make it even harder to relate to other people.
>>
When you read up on vipassana you might initially be put off by certain aspects of the practice. After all they tell you that it feels good to have your anxieties lifted during the practice of meditation but that you're not allowed to enjoy the feeling and you have to just let it slip away. To someone that is constantly anxious or constantly depressed these feelings of peace or bliss are few and far between and it can feel unfair to allow it to pass. The purpose of meditation is spoiled by hanging onto the instant gratification. Just like any exercise you're building to a greater goal and if you allow yourself to become attached to the pleasant feelings that mediation can sometimes bring your not doing yourself a favor (one of the goals of meditation is to ween yourself off of attachments"
The reason you are depressed is because you are attached or addicted to feelings of hopelessness, the reason you are anxious is because you are attached or addicted to feelings of fear. You might not like these feelings but when one is produced by your mind you will almost ALWAYS engage in it and allow it to grow inside of you. Denying these feelings your attention makes them lose power over you. In the same way if you become addicted to feelings of bliss you will become frustrated when the feeling naturally passes, these feelings will grow as well especially at first when you're just getting into the practice.
>>
>>26411668
>>26411692
>>26411761
Conforming to the status quo? That's unrelated to the practice of meditation. Besides if you follow the herd there's no happiness there. Pressured into a materialistic lifestyle focused on attachment to objects for happiness is the opposite of what vipassana teaches.
>>
>>26411761
>getting rid of your emotions
Vipassana is the practice of not engaging with your emotions in order to better understand their power over you. But it's just a practice, I live a life full of emotion but I don't let my negative emotions rule my life. Emotions like happiness, joy, bliss, are all good things as long as I don't hang onto them like a spoiled child when they begin to fade.
>>
Thank you OP, I will try.
>>
>>26411668
reminder that bhuddist monks literally light themselves on fire to disrupt the status quo
none of us are enlightened until all of us are enlightened desu
>>
>>26411761
the next 50 years are going to be the same thing over and over until you die any way you slice it
>>
>>26411839
I guess I feel like me life is so empty, that these emotions are all I have.

Also, I feel emotions help me as a writer/painter and creator. I know that seems pretentious, but most works of art aren't created by content people.

But maybe you're right, maybe I'm just immature and need to grow up. I don't know.
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 395x395px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 395x395px
>deppressed for years
>start meditating everyday for 20 min.
>5 months go by
>have spiritual awkening
>feels like i understand everything now
>not depressed
>4 more months of meditating goes by (but for 45 min this time)
>suddenly start losing grip of reality
>realize that im losing the ability to have feelings as well
>i feel like an empty cast shell in the middle of a fast dark void

its makes me feel comfy and crazy at the same time. itnstead of being drowned by pointless, scattered thoughts all the time, i get to be an observer of anything.

yet i cant feel anything...
>>
>>26412142
Wow, I hope I will stay in stage 2 (spiritual awakening)
>>
I wish spirituality was simple but they have use all these complicated words and unnecessary dialogue to fully explain it. Makes me think why the whole thing is complete bullshit.

The whole how-to-do article is full of unnecessary bullshit which puts me off completely.
>>
>>26412142
See, this is what I'm afraid of.
>>
>>26412218
>I wish spirituality was simple but they have use all these complicated words and unnecessary dialogue to fully explain it. Makes me think why the whole thing is complete bullshit.

Where meditation is concerned, it's all extremely subjective and personal. There aren't really words to describe the various feelings and states you experience so some people get a bit verbose while trying to convey it to the inexperienced.

That said I haven't read OP's link so it might indeed by full of unnecessary nonsense.
>>
meditation is useless
>>
Will it make me realize that sex and gf really are overrated issues promoted by society?
>>
>>26412559

yeep, realization of the self will cease all worldy and sexual desires.
>>
>>26412248
but the thing is, i know im HAPPY but not really happy about anything in particular. i just stopped meditating for a while and decreased the time and how many times a week i meditate.

remember, happiness isnt the goal; but the way of travel to the goal.
>>
>>26412591
what is the goal?
>>
>>26412608
that is for you to decide
>>
>>26412627
then there is no goal
we're headed for oblivion
>>
>>26412589
Some people claim that falling in love is above sexual desires.
>>
File: Horses_2.jpg (437KB, 1078x1151px) Image search: [Google]
Horses_2.jpg
437KB, 1078x1151px
meditation is all about FOCUS
>>
>>26412661

love is simply attachment to another being, a true meditator can cease all of his attachments having his heart free from all kinds of frustrations, his mind is clear and is celibate.
>>
Have you experienced jhana OP?
>>
>western philosophy: no pain, no gain
>buddhshits: no pain and no gain
>>
File: 1441786255780.jpg (61KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1441786255780.jpg
61KB, 640x640px
>>26411668
I guees meditation doesn't have nothing to do with the outside world, is more like finding inner peace
>>
There is a belief, that to be happy one must aquire something from without oneself, but that is simply a delusion. Fundamentally we do not actually seek objects, but simply the feeling it would provide us with. The delusion we live, is that we truly believe that we cannot feel extraodinaryly great, without some form of wordly achievement or material gain. Peace and happiness are as natural as existence itself, you allready have it, simply allow yourself to feel it unconditionally at all times and at all places, because there is really nothing but yourself stopping it from being experienced.
>>
>>26411668
>>26411761
Not op nor necessarily in agreement with him but
>arguing against doing something you've never done and know nothing about whose only purpose is to make you happy

P A T H E T I C
A
T
H
E
T
I
C
>>
>>26412142
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-samadhi/jhana.html

You've meditated for 9 months so I assume you've looked into this. You are claiming that you've achieved a form of spiritual enlightenment but the way you've worded your post you don't seem to recommend it. You have achieved something similar to Jhana but maybe your perception of it is skewed in a way that many might perceive as a negative. In reality you are
>comfy
>unassailed by pointlessness
>focused
>no longer depressed

You have achieved something much better than depression do you not feel like you have made huge improvements?

If you feel crazy please look into terror managament theory which states that culture arises from a constant need to avoid the terror of a meaningless existence. You have surpassed the need for society so no wonder you feel crazy.
If the feeling of craziness terrifies you then you should meditate more so that you can detach yourself from that negative emotion.
>>
>>26412642
how terrifying! you meditate to learn to let go of negative emotions :^)
>>
>>26412722
Appreciation is love.
Meditative bliss is full appreciation for all things in the present moment. Love is part of the answer
>>
>>26412825
I have experienced jhana several times but I've also successfully changed from an F chord to a B chord several times but it's difficult and I require more practice to do it more consistently
>>
I tried meditation in senior year of high school, when I switched schools and my parents were fighting and I was depressed. It helped a little, as long as I didn't go into it expecting it to help.

Decade later I'm trying to learn to lucid dream (WILD method), and inadvertently learn perfect, still, mindless mediation and become an expert at staying stock-still, ignoring itches and physical discomfort, and letting random thoughts just pass by.

Eventually read the Bhagavad Gita and have full-on near-awakening. Puts me at ease. Anytime I feel troubled I read a section of it.
>>
>>26413775
doesn't the bhagavad gita have a ton of dogmatic shit in it? I have no interest in a text that promises a chance at becoming one with the source of the universe or any bullshit like that
>>
>>26411633
I'm not going g to lie :( I could use some peace of mind lately :( I have been acting out like crazy :( I can barely control myself when I'm sad ;_;
>>
>>26414512
the more your emotions rule you the harder it will be to reel them in. That said, meditation is something anyone can do and I hope you can free yourself from your thoughts
>>
>>26414557
How can I stop :( I get incredibly sad and I get even more and more sad :( and I can't stop ;_; and I make huge scenes :( and I act like a crazy person :(
What is sadness :(
>>
>>26414615
Sadness is, at its core, an emotion that is triggered by certain thoughts. Thoughts like "I wish I was happier" can arise from any persons brain, but in a sad person that thought is jumped on and explored. As you meditate you discover that your mind has thousands of thoughts but your conciousness only engages SOME of them. You have spent your life engaging with thoughts of sadness so you more readily jump on those ideas and create a conversation with yourself about the thought. With meditation you learn to observe your thoughts as they happen without creating that conversation. Imagine if, when your brain thinks "I'm want a donut" rather than your next thought being something like "I should go to the cabinet and get one" you just allow the thought to pass. The same can be done with any thought including thoughts of sadness.

You can follow the link in the OP it has a guideline or watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scIvvDZDQzI
keep in mind that 'proper seating position' is helpful but not too important. as long as you are comfortable and able to give your full attention to your breath you are meditating. I personally lay back on a pillow.
>>
>>26414615
I'm this anon
>>26414936
Since you are very sad you should realize that meditation will be difficult, if you are anything like me when i first started you're going to have a thought like "what is wrong with me I can't do it right" just let that thought pass as well. if you're hard on yourself you'll eventually stop meditating and that won't do you any good
>>
File: image0041.jpg (19KB, 458x288px) Image search: [Google]
image0041.jpg
19KB, 458x288px
>>26414452
It does, there's stuff you would want to take with a grain of salt and mentally filter out. Like the idea of the caste system, the idea that you shouldn't perform any duties outside of your station, even if you're good at them. And considering the whole thing is to motivate Arjun to kill his cousins, uncles, and mentors, when they really could sit down and have a cup of tea... that's kind of fucked up.

But its method of mindfulness (with pleasures never being overjoyed; with sorrows never being overly dejected) and it's concept of the scope of the universe is some tight motherfucking shit.
>>
>>26411761
>Whereas if you just decide to be content,
thays not what the post said at all
it's examining yourself without responding so that you can, at the end say, "okay, these are things I want to change and this is how to change them"
>>
>>26412218
maybe someone should write a robot meditation how to
>>
File: 1431762183280.jpg (11KB, 263x192px) Image search: [Google]
1431762183280.jpg
11KB, 263x192px
>>26411633
>Now, it's easy to say something like that but it's like kissing a girl, someone can tell you that it's a great feeling but until you've actually done it you can't know exactly what it's like
>tfw

Good post though. I bookmarked that page and I am going to check it out after I got done with my work and college course today. Good thing I checked the board or else I would have never learned about this particular form of meditation. I was getting into Buddhism however, as a matter of fact, last night. I am reading "Island" by Aldous Huxley in which that is a big part of it.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.