[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buddhism

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6

Why don't you robots try Buddhism?

>live in a monastery with other monks
>clean and cook occasionally as your "rent"
>live there for free and eat healthy
>live away from normies and society
>find peace and tranquility
>become enlightened someday
>>
because i'm not afraid of losing things, personal failure is interesting to me, and anger/sadness/elation/dismay are all great fun
>>
Because religion is a meme.
>>
>>26357728
This is fine. There's nothing special to be gained by practicing Buddhism. But for most people on this board (who are not amused with their life) it should be an appealing prospect.
>>
>>26357773
This tbqh desu senpie
>>
>>26357620
I am a buddhist. I dont live far away in a temple but I can say it's a satisfying way to look at the world.
>>
because i wont get to shitpost on 4chan, drive my car and listen to music with swear words in it, or play vidya
>>
>>26357620
I'm Buddhist but I'm also not a monk. It's all about the middle way bro. Neither hiding in a cave or monastery and neither being a materialistic normie.
>>
>>26358063
BLEGEGGHGHHHHHH
you middleway shits make me sick
>>
>>26357620
I think Buddhism is great but you don't need to go to a temple to be a Buddhist. Buddha obtained enlightenment under a tree.
>>
File: tombebe.jpg (58KB, 565x559px) Image search: [Google]
tombebe.jpg
58KB, 565x559px
>>26357995
I kinda wanted to learn more about it, I don't see any point in pretending atheism is benefiting me

Not sure why it seems like everyone hates Buddhism, always seemed like a logical way to live based on the limited information I have on it

>Don't fuck with other people
>work to find happiness and purpose in your life
>Don't worry about other people

I'm not gonna stop eating meat though
>>
>>26358063
I think its important to not hide away in a cave. You might run from the devil and his temptations but what happens when the devil comes knocking on your door? And he will find a way. There's a certain strength to be able to resist the demons in their own realm.
>>
>>26357754
Buddhism is a philosophy, not a religion.

"If science proves some aspect of Buddhism wrong, then Buddhism will have to change."

No religion would say that about itself.
>>
Why don't you robutts try Stoicism?
>fostered by Greek and Roman philosophers, warriors, and kings
>reach the maximum capability of your body and mind
>have fun in life
>find peace and tranquility
>find enlightenment every day
It's literally better than any other line of thought.
>>
instead of acquiescing to new age liberal degeneracy why don't we all join Trappist monasteries?
>>
>>26358124
>I'm not gonna stop eating meat though

that's not really a principle so you're in luck.

even as Buddhist and former atheist, I say to look at all the world's religions, big and small, and see if there's something you can learn and adopt as your own without having to wear a silly hat.

>>26358183
it has temples and monasteries and prayers and deities and various sects, it is literally a religion. not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that it's one of most adopted religions as a philosophy by agnostics or atheists.
>>
>>26358198
I doubt you really do shit having to do with stoicism.

Stoicism and buddhism, all of them are bs. I don't know if he's the exception, but my uncle claims to be a 'buddhist', meditates, reads lots, all that shit, and he's still a raging 40 year old loser on neetbux. My brother too.

Why should I believe anyone is REALLY doing anything with all this stuff? It seems like all people are the same and nobody changes no matter what beliefs they dedicate themselves to.
>>
File: Top Walt.jpg (79KB, 321x384px) Image search: [Google]
Top Walt.jpg
79KB, 321x384px
>>26358220
>500 years older than christianity
>"new age"
>>
>>26358277
>he's still a raging 40 year old loser on neetbux
He probably doesn't care for thing like that, seems like you do though.
>>
>>26358304
Is that why he's a depressed, socially inept drunk who hasn't had a friend in years?

The man is not happy, he just can't change.
>>
>>26358302
white folk have only been practicing this mockery of buddhism for like 50 years though
>>
>>26357620
how do you even get into a monastery, especially as a westerner?
>>
>>26358277
you should try it yourself rather than judge it on how other people use it as an identity.
>>
>>26358327
If that's true then he probably hasn't found inner peace.
>>
File: stoicsilence.png (80KB, 1233x336px) Image search: [Google]
stoicsilence.png
80KB, 1233x336px
>>26358198
Kinda sounds how I live right now but I'm still willing to talk to people on occasion
>>
>>26358084
Middleway is the only way m8
>>
Do you have to shave your head to become a monk?

I've seriously entertained the idea for years, but I honestly don't know how I'd go about it.
>>
>>26358613
Yes.

>but I honestly don't know how I'd go about it.

with a razor
>>
>>26357620
I'm reading "Island" by Aldous Huxley which seems to be going into it.

Maybe I will, all of my favorite authors are really into it and the philosophy is sound and it actually makes sense unlike with most religions.
>>
Why hasn't the anon that gets triggered over Buddhism posted yet?
>>
>>26358729
I know right? He's usually written a book's worth of nonsense replies by now. Maybe he actually listened to our advice and got out of the board.
>>
>>26358729
who me? lol what does that anon usually post about?
>>
>>26358792
He's still here, he only listens to God and realizes that not everyone can be saved.
>>
>>26358729
Because he's sleeping so that he can wake up early for his miserable wagecuckery tomorrow.
>>
>>26358535
right. the only way, the fastest way, to being a cuck.

makes me sick. worst of both worlds.
>>
>>26358845
You can't be miserable when you've found inner peace
>>
>>26358848
>worst of both worlds.

only if you do it absolutely wrong. Moderation is the key to enjoying everything and anything.
>>
>>26357620
>>live in a monastery with other monks

Getting into a western monastery is the hard part. I'm working on it.

Plenty of monasteries in Thailand and other Buddhist countries that will take you in if you can get yourself there.
>>
>>26358198
What's the difference between stoicism and Buddhism?
>>
>>26358878
middleway fags love gentle platitudes like that. it is because they really don't believe in anything and have no conviction. why even call yourself a buddhist? just do away with convention as it serves you no purpose.
>>
>>26358934
Buddhism is about practicing. Practicing the right way of thinking, having the right intentions, the right resolve, putting in the right amount of effort, praciticing the right behavior and seeking wisdom to obtain inner peace and enlightenment which is needed to escape from suffering.

Stoicism seems to be about temperance, moderation in regards to everything. A balanced middle ground for all aspects of life.
>>
>>26358934

There isn't a whole lot to Stoicism, content-wise. We lost a very large amount of Stoic text and outside of its time, it never really caught on as a serious movement. Buddhism has a very rich tradition and a massive amount of very old scripture to draw on.

I spent most of my life considering myself a Stoic before I became a Buddhist. Stoicism is wonderful but it's not a very elegant philosophy. The solution to most of life's obstacles is meeting them head on with pure willpower. It's very hard to maintain. Buddhism is much more rounded a philosophy with very explicit and deep instructions on following its teachings.
>>
>>26358967
Way to extrapolate whole bunch of nonsense from absolutely nothing

>you believe in moderation and therefore you don't believe in anything
>>
>>26358934
stoicism doesn't exist anymore
>>
>>26359024
don't tell me you buy into the reincarnation/karma garbage.
>>
>>26358886
how do you get in? where can i learn about this?
>>
>>26359050
if it'll stop you from being upset, sure.
>>
>>26359085
see? no conviction.
>>
>>26359050
of course karma is real, what you did in your past life affects how you turned out this lifetime
>>
>>26359114
nah senpai I just told you a lie so you'd stop being upset :^)

I do believe in reincarnation.
>>
>>26359053

Find a monastery nearby or look up monasteries you'd like to join and visit or write them a letter. Ask them what's involved in joining. It will vary from place to place.

If you haven't already done so, the best first step is to find a monastery that will allow you to spend some time living there as a layperson. Pretty much any respectable place will allow you to stay for a week or two. You can get a better feel for what the monastic life is like and whether or not it's the right fit for you. What's your experience with Buddhism/meditation?
>>
>>26359152
that's not exactly how Karma works.
>>
>>26359195
actually it is 100% how karma works. Where Buddhism is concerned at least.
>>
>>26357620
Where do I go to live this kind of lifestyle? I've wanted to do something like this but don't know where to start.
>>
>>26359152
>>26359163
buddhist liars.

reincarnation is for normies by normies, about as believable as 'heaven', and it's used to extend the status quo.
please follow these normie rules and maybe you can have a really nice normie life your next go around.
>>
>>26359181
to be honest, nothing. im just tired of living a sad live of getting shut down at every opportunity and i want to try a new walk of life.
>>
>>26359257
>>26358729

Found him.

>liars

disprove the lie then. Kill yourself and then tell me what's what.
>>
>>26359221
at most it affects what kind of being your will be reborn as (animal, demon, demi-god, human, etc.) but not the circumstances of which you're born into.
>>
the idea of a monastery filled with like 58 white guys playing monk, i find it so funny
>>
>>26359276
the burden of proof for reincarnation is on Buddhists, just as it is upon Christians to prove that God is real.

where is my proofs?

proofs! proofs! where are my proofs?
>>
>>26359363
It's a belief based on faith, not a statement of fact.

Go for a walk or something before you give yourself an aneurysm.
>>
>>26359257
Live how you want to live then, most people do anyways. And look how that turns out for them, look at the state of the world where the mantra is "whatever, I'll do what I want"

God teaches you to do good because its the right thing to do, its a shame people only do it for the prosepct of a reward i.e. heaven/reincarnation.

Buddhism says those people are born into the animal realm out of the six realms.

>Those born into the animal realm are very basic creatures. They live only to satisfy their animalistic needs. They are incapable of higher thought due to their willful blindness, they are ruled by fear and ignorance and are easily manipulated and controlled.

And of course how you conducted your past life previously affects which realm you'll be born into. Karma etc.
>>
>>26359351
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdGUnSu49hg
>>
File: plane.jpg (82KB, 1120x592px) Image search: [Google]
plane.jpg
82KB, 1120x592px
>>26357620
TFW I used to be Buddhist and meditate everyday but simply forgot about it and stopped for some reason, should I start meditating again?
>>
>>26359448
meditating =! buddhism. Though it does have its benefits
>>
>>26359448
Depends

How was life before and after you stopped?
>>
>>26359265

In that case I'd recommend reading up on Buddhism and trying to practice it a bit in your daily life. If you like the results and once you've gotten a bit of meditation practice, arrange to spend a week or two at a monastery to see how you like it.

This book is my usual recommendation for people new to Buddhism or meditation. It's all online, pretty short and the first chapter, "Meditation: Why Should I Bother?" is something I wish I could make everyone on this board sit down and read. If you or anyone else for that matter sees this post then take five minutes and read that first chapter. It will be time well spent and might start you on the path to getting out of the miserable mental hole you're living in.

>http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html

Buddhist monastics aren't the only monastics, by the way. There are still plenty of Christian monasteries scattered around the world and the life of a Buddhist monk is mostly very similar to that of a Christian monk. Monasteries of any type will expect you to believe in their faith so again, the first step is to read up and see if it's something that fits you.
>>
>>26358060
>>26358060

Literally the only reason I haven't become a monk yet
>>
File: 1443188605788-2.jpg (164KB, 500x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1443188605788-2.jpg
164KB, 500x1280px
You guys should be Catholic monks and join a cloistered order like the Carmelite Monks. That way you can be white and still meditate all day.
>>
>>26359462

But I would be conscious about the Eightfold Path during everyday life and other stuff like that, I felt like a better person
>>
>>26359464
It definitely relieves a lot of stress, also makes you feel like you have a purpose, to be the best man you can be and treat others fairly. As of right now I really don't give a shit about either
>>
>>26359528
Eightfold path = Buddhism.
Meditation alone =! Buddhism.
>>
>>26359528

Following the path in everyday life is not a whole lot different than following your meditation object in meditation. When you're meditating, you'll lose focus, you'll be distracted, you'll forget what you were doing. Just like the trick to being a successful meditator is realizing that these things will happen and being resolved to return to your meditation once you realize you've strayed, the trick to being a successful Buddhist is realizing that you're not enlightened yet, you will make mistakes and lapse in your practice and being resolved to return to your practice once you realize you've lapsed.
>>
>>26359231
Bumping for answers. plz senpai
>>
>>26359683
see
>>26359181

the robot is a loser
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.