[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Coding Language?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8

File: coding01.jpg (11KB, 249x203px) Image search: [Google]
coding01.jpg
11KB, 249x203px
hey /r9k/ whats the best language to learn how to code? trying to turn my life around
>>
C++

Python

Although you should focus your learning efforts on investing and stocks instead.
>>
>>26357442
x86 assembly

You'll quickly forget about your problems.
>>
Python. Google LPTHW and fucking actually do it.
>>
Python, probably.

But best in which sense? fastest learning curve? highest demand?
>>
Haskell for genius, python for practicality
>>
>>26357442

Java. Hundreds of ready libraries, you learn OO programming off the bat, and it's relatively easy to make a program.

C++ is good if you can download some decent libraries for gaming or GUI. MFC is good too.

Pascal used to be the "learning language" but hardly anyone uses it or its descendants Ada and Delphi anymore.
>>
C++, fun and challenging as a object oriented starter language, and you will still be respected if you know it advanced. C++ is Hearthstone
>>
>>26357470

>you should focus your learning efforts on investing and stocks instead.

^Good advice. OP, it sounds like you're a lazy person judging by how vague your question is and how you're asking it here instead of using a search engine to figure out information on your own. And you should probably know in advance that despite what you may suspect, programming is not an easy way to make money. I mean, it's easy in the sense everything you need to do programming is already available to you right now, unlike with becoming an electrician or a plumber where you'd have to get some tools and an appropriate work setting to begin even trying to learn anything.

But there's a reason why even though everyone has access to the tools to begin programming, the vast majority of people never do learn how to program. And that reason is it's a task that can be very complicated, abstract, and unrewarding. You basically have to be clinically autistic or OCD to have a fighting chance at making it. It's the mental equivalent of professional athletics. Nothing's technically stopping any of you from becoming professional football players, but realistically you know you're not going to become a professional football player.
>>
>>26357442
Easiest to start out with would probs be python

I don't know what you mean by "best" though OP
>>
File: laughing_pepe.jpg (67KB, 540x534px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_pepe.jpg
67KB, 540x534px
>>26357470
>C++

But really, if you are older than 20, it will not be worth it to become a programmer cuz it takes a long time to get your foot in the door without a degree. Just adding "know Java syntax" to your skills section will do exactly nothing.

If you're American, and you're smart and driven enough to learn programming, I'd recommend the military, particularly air force or navy. Go in and become an electronics or communications guy. Higher chance of getting a steady career, and in less time
>>
you're going to get 198430 different answers, op. this is a silly question and you would know that if you did any research about it
>>26357634
>You basically have to be clinically autistic or OCD to have a fighting chance at making it.
what do you mean? it ain't that hard. many stupid people get relatively well paid for making programs, and you don't have to be in the top 10% to make good money making software
>>
>>26357634
Come on, finding the semi colon you missed after 3 hours of searching for it is hella rewarding.
>>
>>26357515
>LPTHW
can this be pirated
>>
File: 1440642449126.jpg (30KB, 265x320px) Image search: [Google]
1440642449126.jpg
30KB, 265x320px
>>26357470
>>26357515
>>26357530
>>26357567
>python

Might as well learn html instead
>>
>>26357956
what the FUCK is wrong with HTML?
>>
>>26357725
Advice appreciated anon.
>>
>>26357956

He said learn. Python is good for learning.
>>
>>26357939
it's free

are you op? if you're having this much trouble figuring out stuff for yourself and you aren't like 14, i assure you you're going to have a lot of trouble programming and maybe you should try something more mechanical. i'm serious
>>26357956
what's wrong with python and why do i let myself get trolled?
>>
>>26357939
Doesn't need to be, it's free to read online.
>>
File: 1396780254308.png (129KB, 503x546px) Image search: [Google]
1396780254308.png
129KB, 503x546px
>>26357983

I'm pretty sure no one has a problem with HTML; it's just that it's not really a programming language, it's a markup language that lets browsers interpret webpages.

I think python is mostly used for scripting and automating shit.

I don't program or do any of that nerd shit, so I dunno for sure.
>>
>>26357983
it isn't a programming language

and i guess they meant that it's easy and kinda useless by itself?
>>
>>26357983

XML is better to learn.
>>
If you want a job as quickly as possible then it's either java

or maybe some webdevelopment language in conjunction with a web development course like javascript with some html

you really do not need to know that much java to get AT LEAST SOME job programming but if the only langauge you know is C or Python or some hipster language you are going to need to be significantly better.
>>
Why? It's all meaningless, even if you do have a career.
>>
>>26357442
Go, it's like python but not as complicated
>>
JS + html will get you the most boring job quickest, but you won't be doing anything interesting... Ever. Very good technical companies are impressed with C++ and a language with a high learning curve, like Haskell (to verify intelligence)
>>
File: lphw.png (169KB, 1055x1011px) Image search: [Google]
lphw.png
169KB, 1055x1011px
>>26358029
>>26358008
am i missing something here or?
>>
>>26357903

>many stupid people get relatively well paid for making programs, and you don't have to be in the top 10% to make good money making software

I guess I'd have to see the work you're thinking of and the terms of their employment to make an informed judgement on that. The sort of programming tasks I'm familiar with and do for a living is something I'm pretty sure most people can't do. Don Knuth has a semi-famous quote along the lines of "Computer programs are the most complicated things that humans have ever created," which I would agree with. You can get into some very deep holes of abstract thought, and most people I've come across at work or wherever else don't have the patience to dive into all that.
>>
>>26358155

Please describe what you do.
>>
Python, obviously. Go to /g/
>>
File: 1411639092754.jpg (345KB, 947x1374px) Image search: [Google]
1411639092754.jpg
345KB, 947x1374px
Am I right in thinking that poor math skills will translate into even poorer programming skills?

I'm tempted to do the same as OP, since my degree is useless and I have no real skills, but I don't really care about programming at all; I just have a vague interest in computers.

Would I be better off just learning webdev shit to put on my resume?
>>
>>26358146
actually read that very webpage, or try to figure out what they mean by 'try it for free' there
>>26358155
>The sort of programming tasks I'm familiar with and do for a living is something I'm pretty sure most people can't do
what do you do?
>>
>>26358243
I also had shit math skills, but I have the pure autismo OCD that let me use my shit knowledge of algebra to do things in programming.
>>
File: 1454089363790.jpg (25KB, 399x330px) Image search: [Google]
1454089363790.jpg
25KB, 399x330px
>>26358243
u dont even need math bruh.
>>
>>26358130
this is true but at the same tiem the best companies also look at CVs and university degrees more than portfolios (unless you've made something genuinely sick).

So yeah it will be very possile to get an online certificate in java or JS and make a modest portfolio yourself and get a job having previously only had a low-skill or retail job and no university degree.

But the odds of you doing the same thing with haskell or F# or OCAML are slim. There are few jobs aimed towards those languages to begin with and they don't have the kind of accessile hiring procedures that jobs in JS or java do.

the chances are less slim with C++ since there are more C++ jobs and it won't be seen as niche as the above functional languages.

but still assuming this guy doesn't have all the time in the world to tinker while he goes to school or something and wants a different job as soon as he can, he should go for java or javascript and html focusing on web development.
>>
>>26358243
you don't have to know any math to program, although many examples people use involve math. i'm sure you can find programming books for people who have the same degree as you do. and i don't know if anyone has researched whether people who have poor math skills also have poor skills in making algorithms, so who knows

what's your degree?
>>
>>26358243
computer programming and math only share in common the fact that they're both about precisely following instructions and keeping track of things.

computer programming tends to have a lot more things to keep track of than a lot of maths.

it doesn't sound like you're cut out for it.

And webdev isn't magically a lot easier than programming.

it is programming websites. it still requires you to follow instructions precisely (or rather read and understand precise instructions and write your own) and keep track of things.
>>
>>26358342
>companies also look at CVs and university degrees more than portfolios

That is the single largest nugget of bullshit in this entire thread. In this industry, concrete demonstrable projects are everything
>>
>>26358176

I work for a large security company. I don't want to give away details, it's not a common job. To keep it very high level, a lot of what I do is automating business processes. I didn't start in IT and was originally just an analyst who wrote up IT tickets and helped explain what the business actually wanted to the developers. Eventually I ended up doing more of the development on my own since I realized very little ever got done when I just wrote instructions and waited on other people to do the real work with them.

I think the parts of that work which are the least accessible for people who don't know how to program would be taking a bunch of random existing processes / reports / systems of record / external vendor APIs and integrating everything into a single automated process so no money has to be spent on reps doing manual upkeep. Our company is constantly trying to find good developers to hire but most of the people who claim experience with programming and apply to programming jobs turn out to not really know much of anything at all.
>>
>>26358397
>computer programming and math only share in common the fact that they're both about precisely following instructions and keeping track of things.

I'm declaring this thread a complete bullshit zone. No one here knows what the fuck computer programming is like or about.

Math and programming are hand in hand. I am a computer programmer. I have had to fill pages with calculus, do proofs, do lots and lots of shit with summations. Not because my employer made me, but because I had to to accomplish the programming task assigned to me by my employer
>>
File: 1453455639832.jpg (72KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1453455639832.jpg
72KB, 900x900px
>>26358497
im studying in college right now for cs. What exactly is your job? Are you making data structures or something, why do you need so much math. Help a jr. out anon
>>
>>26358341

Everything in programming is based in mathematics. Of course being good at math will help out.
>>
>>26358427
it just sounds like something that would need some knowledge of software engineering to manage the complexity of the system. i thought you were an AI researcher for some company or something
>>26358497
not really. it sounds to me like you had to so some asymptotic analysis, but for most applications you don't have to do that. for example, i assure you that no one did any of that to make the software that 4chan runs on
>>
>>26358421
I'd give much better odds of finding a job to a guy looking to switch careers and break into programming who learnt java and built a sudoku-solver or some other typical projects like that and applied to one of the thousands and thousands of java jobs than a guy who learnt Haskell or Ocaml or Lua and built a sudoku-solver or other typical projects and applied to one of the 100 or so (often less) jobs in those languages that are often looking for several years of job experience rather than entry-level anyway.

if you build something impressive like an add-on that becomes widely popular then sure, it doesn't matter. ut I'm talking about hte kind of things people typically build at the beginning.
>>
>>26358631

What makes you think it's more difficult to work on AI than it is to do business process automation? The two aren't even necessarily exclusive of each other. The statistical techniques used with machine learning are used in business applications like call volume forecasting and attrition modeling.
>>
>>26358497
Stop acting like your specific job or task is representative of all computer programming jobs.

How the fuck would would you need to fill pages of calculus when the project is to modify/improve a GUI for a customer or change a website?

What a fucking retard you must be to have so little perspective.

no where in that post does it say "not a single job involving computer programming requires any mathematics".
>>
>>26358767
This. From a topological perspective, they actually are very similar.
>>
>>26358580
- prove properties of algorithms, like completeness or optimality, or prove it's not too far from optimal etc. I usually do this for my own sake. Not really numbers math, just formal logic
- have to calculate big-O run time for everything
- calculus due to neural networks
- "tensors" (vectors, matrix math, 3-dimensional arrays and up...) At its hardest, it involves things like coming up with clever distance functions. Lots of common algebra and stuff too though, like writing things that calculate gradient, average, various other statistical things

I work for a company that works for other companies. I help with data mining. Good luck buddy I love you
>>
>>26358497
Nigger what? The most mathematics I've done when programming is when I was dealing with a custom OS and a compiler. Most programming doesn't entail the kind of mathematics you're using.
>>
>>26358631
> i assure you that no one did any of that to make the software that 4chan runs on
Are you shitting me? Run time has to be a huge issue on the back end for a database as large as the one behind 4chan.

I just posted about all the math I gotta do. I'm the data mining anon
>>
>>26358767
it sounded like you were just getting records into a database and creating some forms for people to fill
>>
Programming will go to the third world soon enough. You need to learn something that will never leave the country. Things like entertainment or the trades. Become a filmmaker or something.
>>
>>26358772
Changing gui's or websites is not computer programming. Fucking designers do that shit. And for 50k a year while the actual programmers are doing stuff that requires math
>>
>>26358815
well no shit you're going to use a lot of maths if you're doing statistics. but that doesn't mean that
>Math and programming are hand in hand
like you implied. for many many things, you can get very far ahead before you have to start worrying about how efficient your algorithms are
>>
>>26358838
I understand, but that dumbass anon was dealing in absolutes like some kind of sith. Saying programming and math barely share a thing in common. My case may be extreme, but it still disqualifies the statement that "the ONLY thing cs and math have in common is such and such..."
>>
>>26357903
>many stupid people get relatively well paid for making programs

they're stupid at real life, because they have the clinical autism required to be good at programming
>>
>>26358866

Nah, creating a form for someone to use would be something most people could figure out how to do in microsoft access without even knowing how to program outside of macro VBA and wouldn't be what I'd consider automation of a process. If someone still has to key stuff into a form as part of the process, then that's exactly what automation isn't.
>>
>>26359082
come on. this is just you trying to tell yourself that you're special somehow because you know how to program. many chads and stacies are out there doing software engineering, anon
>>
>>26359100
at some point someone inputs something into a computer, right? not trying to be pedant; i'm genuinely curious
>>
There is no best.

C++ is more powerful because memory management.

Python is a great one to start out learning.

It's more about what project you want to do, what framework and language you pick for that job.
>>
>>26358427
>I didn't start in IT
>I think the parts of that work which are the least accessible for people who don't know how to program would be taking a bunch of random existing processes / reports / systems of record / external vendor APIs and integrating everything into a single automated process

>least accessible
>existing shit / reports / APIs
You really think that's the least accessible thing in SE for neurotypicals? Confirmed for codemonkey.
>>
>>26358767
People working on algos to develop an AI don't spend their days staring at API documentations you fucking mook.
>>
>>26357442
First language I learned was actionscript which is fucking awfull and useless. Java is pretty k but outdatated. Python is cool
>>
I can't fucking believe nobody has suggested C. If you are looking for job security learn how to actually code in C. Tons of old shit has been written and needs to be maintained since it would be way too much to remake in a different language. I work with a bunch of old people who program in C.
>>
>>26357442
Do you want a job as a programmer?

Just became transgender and learn basic lingo
>>
>>26358427
>Literally playing with Legos
>Pretending that's real SE
pls
>>
>>26357442
Op this >>26361678
If you want to actually learn to program. Do Javascript with Node.js and other webdev shit if you just want a job.
>>
>>26357442
Javascript. The vast majority of developer jobs are for websites and js ports to every platform / mobile devices anyway. Ignore all these retards posting C++ and Python, used by literally 1% of companies. Java or C# also reasonable.

t. Worked as a programmer for 10 years and raking it in
>>
>>26358905
most third worlders aren't high IQ enough to do good programming
>>
>>26362254
JavaScript is a shitty language that just happened to get really popular. It is very practical to know JavaScript, but if you want to LEARN PROGRAMMING do not start with JavaScript.

JavaScript has a lot of flaws and pitfalls.
It also has a lot of ways of doing things that are specific to JavaScript instead of more common ways of doing things (eg prototypes), so it doesn't apply well for learning other languages.

Learn JavaScript eventually.

Start with Python.
>>
>>26357442
I work as a team leader in a pretty big software company.

Truth is, if you want to stay in the business you constantly need to learn new programming languages. Few years ago everybody was raving about java, then .net, now these technologies are already deemed obscure.

The flavor of the day now is:
>JavaScript for front end, every app now has to be a web app, which makes sense, best portability
>Rust for complex server side calculations or as an alternative to C++ in standalone software
>For small projects Node.js is good enough though, so maybe you're OK with JS

Right now all the programming languages are pretty much basing is syntax on C, so it's like a huge inbred family, they're very similar, you only approach them differently.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.