[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Most of the people in my family, including my parents, think

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 1

Most of the people in my family, including my parents, think I'm either on the aspergers spectrum in a minor or major way. I don't believe I am. Is there any way to tell without getting a professional diagnosis? Is there some way to figure this out, or some list of traits that I can match myself to? I've taken the tests online and they all say I don't have it, but I know online tests can be unreliable.

I definitely have some communication issues and occasionally I see the world in a different way than other people, but I see "aspergers" as being the 40 year old virgin who loves trains and lives with his mom, which isn't me as I'm definitely an extrovert and it's never been hard for me to meet new people.
>>
You can have aspergers and have an extroverted personality. That would be a horrible combination though, you'd be that annoying cunt everyone can't stand, and yet you have no idea how annoying/uncomfortable you make everyone feel.
>>
>is there any way I can find out if I have a disease that requires a medical professional to figure out if I have it, without asking a medical professional?

You definitely have something, m8
>>
>>26344357
Haha idk, those tests usually cost a lot of money. I work in retail and my insurance covers a lot but I don't think it covers that.
>>
>>26344263
When you see a cute smiling child, do you feel like smiling too?

n = Asperger's
y = normalshit

Honestly, reaction to facial expressions, laughter etc. (whether you focus on faces to the effect of losing awareness of the background/other data) is the best way to tell.
>>
>>26344392
Depends on what the kid is smiling about. Most of the time yeah but if he's smiling for some psychopath reason I want to deck him.
>>
asspies are superhumans
>>
>>26344367
Can you go to your doctor to see if he/she can figure it out? I'm sure its cheaper than going to a shrink.

I'm also sure there are free online tests you can take if you googled it, but I wouldn't put much stock in it
>>
>>26344263
>Is there any way to tell without getting a professional diagnosis?
Like any condition, you can have all the symptoms but there's no way to be sure without professional testing. Autism is especially tricky because combinations of other common issues tick all the boxes.
>>
I'm in the same boat. You won't find any help online. I'll just say if you suspect you have it then you probably do just in a mild form. That's what I have.

>repetitive behaviour
>lack of eye contact
>engrossed in things to an extreme extent
>problems with being social

People would point out to me I have a hard time making eye contact even though I was pretty good at being social.
>>
>>26344333
I know a guy who is extroverted and has adhd and aspergers. that's gotta be the worst combination
>>
>>26344541
Yeah I've never had an issue being social and I have the attention span of a goldfish, but my thing is that I work with a lot of machines, mostly farm machines and computers, as a job. Everyone says I'd do it as a hobby if I wasn't being paid for it but in reality I think it's stupid as fuck, I just get paid a lot for it.

Anyway, someone will ask me what I just fixed on their tractor or whatever and I'll explain to them what part I just replaced, what it did and what the new part will help with, and they ask me to explain it as if the tractor (or computer, or server, or website, or boat, you get the idea) were a person. At this point I know they want me to say that certain engine parts are like the lungs or brain of the vehicle and that now the tractor feels happier because it's fixed but I think this is asinine. I've come up with a chart describing how the cpu of a computer is like the brain and that the motherboard is like the nervous system and the hard drive is the stomach and whatever and it seems to make people feel much better but in all seriousness I don't really get why.

I had one guy tell me that I would be a better repairman if every time I installed adobe flash on his computer I told him it was like fixing lunch for it. I do what they ask and it makes them happier but it doesn't make any sense to me.
>>
>>26344434
If you wanna dick children that means you're a pedophile, there, diagnosed.
>>
>>26344881
The basket?
>>
>>26344952
Youre probably have autism
>>
>>26344881
The basket, right?
>>
>>26344881

In Anne's basket of course, that's where it is, why wouldn't she look there first?
>>
>>26344263
Fun fact, men with a penis below 4 inches are most likely to have assburgers
>>
>>26345005

But I'm diagnosed with assburgers and my dick is 18cm.
>>
>>26345001
Autism. You have it.
>>
>>26345001
You most likely have autism. Everyone else is right. It's in Sally's basket since she's not aware that it has moved. 'tism.
>>
>>26345023
>>26345029

I don't have fucking autism it says right there it is in ANNE'S BASKET
WHY WOULD SEE LOOK ANYWHERE ELSE?
>>
>>26345036
Anne doesn't even have a basket, she has a box! How would Sally know that Anne stole it?
>>
my family thinks I don't like spending time with people, that's not true, I'm just too ugly to have friends
>>
>>26345036
You literally cannot put yourself in anyone's shoes. 'tism.
>>
>>26344881
Well, obviously Sally would check where she intentionally left her marble first. It's not like Sally is observing her own situation like the reader is.

I got diagnosed assburgers at age 7 and still managed to pass this test, before i was even diagnosed.
>>
>>26345061
>How would Sally know that Anne stole it?

Because it says so right there that Anne stole it, how could she not know?
>>
>>26345085
BECAUSE IT SAID SHE "LEFT" YOU FUCKING AUTIST.
>>
>>26345075
Jesus christ you autists are obnoxiously retarded. The fact you had to use that much thought process to arrive at your answer is nothing to sound pround of
>>
>>26345094

stop calling me autist you fuckface

and it says RIGHT FUCKING THERE

LET ME EVEN QUOTE IT

> Anne takes the marble out of Sally's basket and puts it in her own box

youre the fucking autist who cant read
>>
>>26344881
anne box?
>>
>>26344952
>>26344989

Yeah, it's the basket. I'm mildly autistic or have aspergers and I knew that. It might be a good test to figure out if someone is moderately to severely autistic but that's it. For anyone else the question is really simple and doesn't really seem effective at determining anything. There's too many factors.

Besides the test was used on kids, I might have failed it when I was a kid
>>
>>26345117
>Sally takes a marble and hides it in her basket. She then "LEAVES" the room and goes for a walk. While she is AWAY, Anne takes the marble OUT OF Sally's basket and PUTS IT IN HER OWN BOX. Sally is then REINTRODUCED and the child is asked the key question, the Belief Question: "Where will Sally look for her marble?"
>>
>>26345154

IN FUCKING ANNES BOX BECAUSE ITS THERE
ITS NOT IN HER OWN BASKET
SO SHE LOOKS IN ANNES BOX FIRST
HOLY FUCK YOU AUTISTIC RETARD
>>
This is all BS assburgers is a made up mental condition
>>
>>26345134
The test still works on adults. You just to be honest with yourself when your mind naturally selects its answer. Autists go a roundabout way of doing things while non autists doesnt need to.
E.g this autist >>26345075
>>
>>26345117
Jesus Christ
>She then "leaves" the room and goes for a walk
I'm fucking professionally diagnosed with assburgers and even I can't fucking stand you
>>
Autismkkkk
>>
>>26345214
>I'm fucking professionally diagnosed with assburgers

I fucking knew it, I knew you had autism you retard.
>>
>>26345172
Wow. I never thought someone could be this dense. You do realize that you, the child, are being asked the question independent from both Sally and Anne, right?

Let me put it to you this way, you double-digit IQ having monkey: if you placed your shoes in a specific location in your room and left, then I came in and took them into a separate room, where would you look for your shoes?

Game over. You're a autist faggot.
>>
>>26345202
It might still work, but it's not as simple as:you got it right, you're normal. You got it wrong, you're autistic
>>
>>26345107
I didn't even need to think about it you idiot.

>"It's not like Sally is observing her own situation like the reader is."
I was actually saying this jokingly you fucking retard.
>>
>>26345172
Chill out spergo.
>ITS NOT IN HER OWN BASKET
Sally doesn't know this.
>>
>>26345214
You do realise autists cant stand autists just like how normal people cant stand autists. Yet you do nothing to make yourselves anymore tolerable
>>
>>26345279
Nothing better then watching tards fight, i bet you would get the shit kicked out of you by someone with downs
>>
>>26344263
Why are you so afraid of a professional diagnosis?
>>
>>26345279
4chan, autists hating other autists: the website
>>
>>26345279
Why would I make myself tolerable?
>>
>>26345198
>assburgers isn't real
You could have said autism itself isn't real in that statement too.

I'm just going to assume you're a high-functioning autist.
>>
>>26345279

can confirm. i am autistic and do not like other autistic people anymore than i like neurotypical people. i do not like people.
>>
This board uses "autism" as a buzzword, so it's sometimes pretty hard to tell what the word is actually applicable to. An e-diagnosis isn't a professional diagnosis, but from what I can tell, there are a few pretty obvious signs:
>Social/communication deficits (poor understanding of body language, bad timing in conversation, not knowing when it's appropriate to speak on the phone, cluelessness about social cues and norms, dislike of eye contact, literal-minded speaking, etc.)
>Speech issues, although aspies have it less than full-on autists (overly-formal speech, especially as a child, speech impediments, stereotyped speech, tics, echoing people's words back to them, delayed speech, odd rhythm or inflection, poor volume control, unusual prosody, etc.)
>Difficulty initiating conversation; failure to develop relationships
>Sensory differences (trigger sounds, doesn't like light touch, hypersesnsitiviy, apparent insensitivity to pain, disliking clothing seams/textures, sensory integration dysfunction, etc.)
>Autists are more likely to have synesthesia. It's a rare condition to begin with, but the likelihood of it is around triple the average with autists.
>Stimming (stereotyped movements, eg. rocking, pacing, spinning, "dancing," fidgeting, tapping or drumming, spinning thing or self, hand-flapping, sniffing/touching stuff a lot, vocalizations, etc.)
>Motor/Coordination issues (walks on tiptoes and bounces, is clumsy and awkward, has poor posture, shitty at throwing and catching, uneven gait, bad handwriting, etc.)
>Limited range of interests (bordering on obsession, may rant or monologue at people about them without knowing when to shut up)
>Unusual preoccupations or rituals; need for routine with trouble transitioning between activities, especially unexpectedly

I actually came here with a similar question and saw your post, OP.
>>
>>26345279
I dunno man, I'm an autist and I generally do well with only other autists for friends. I tend to go for the ones that really like talking about their particular sperg interests. My particular ones are cooking and reptile breeding.

>tfw currently no autist friends
>tfw too annoying for normal people
please send help
>>
>>26345601
Same here, maybe I'm just less autistic than them but they really piss me off

Mainly the loud autists though, the quiet ones are usually ok because I'm quiet, but they can still be annoying
>>
>>26345673

in regards to relationships based on specific niche interest, that worked for me as a kid but not as an adult. i can't, and don't want to, maintain the kind of regular communication and interaction that goes along with that. i like talking to the anonymous biomass of the interest about my sperg interests, preferably with no names attached.
>>
>>26345632
>>26344263
I should also add that seeing "Aspergers" as the 40-year-old virgin who loves trains is a bit unfair. Autism IS a spectrum, and if you've met one autist, you've met one autist. Everybody's seen a video of some screaming manchild banging his head against things and throwing an incoherent fit, but that doesn't mean that all autists are necessarily as dysfunctional as that.

>>26345316
That's part of what I was wondering. What, exactly, is the point of a diagnosis? Would it make anything easier for somebody who already functions relatively well, if a bit slowly? I'm honestly 100% certain I'm full-on autistic (not even "haha you fucking sperg" autistic; like ACTUALLY), but I don't really see the point of getting diagnosed beyond e-credit.
>>
>>26345673
I'm autist and I think I've only had one autist friend. He was cool at firsr, but he became really annoying to be around. I'm sure he and other people felt the same about me though
>>
>tfw as a sperg you talked earlier than your normie peers

Best feeling.
>>
>>26345727

the point of diagnosis is access to resources and help that you don't have access to otherwise without the dx. i was only diagnosed because i went to my doctor for meds for depression and anxiety. she referred me to psychiatrist, who referred me for neuropsych testing. it turned out I had OCD (my worst problem) as well as being on autism spectrum.
>>
>>26345722
I actually sort of "latch on" to people and will talk to them for hours on end daily. This tends to lead to the end of my friendships after a period between 6 months and 2 years. 4chan is a shitty substitute for that but I become very easily frustrated when I can't maintain a conversation because the person responding to me leaves or the thread gets deleted.

>>26345727
Only reason to bother is if you want accommodation or personal validation.

>>26345768
I know I'm pretty annoying, but I can tolerate pretty much anyone up to Chris-chan levels of sperg.
>>
>>26345673
>reptile breeding

Personally though, my parents think I'm an aspie and I only hang out with other geeks/nerds. I'm into video-games and books and I have a tendency to collect things(I have a V for Vendetta mask on top of my bookshelf along with some Doctor Who things)
>>
>>26345727
If all autists don't act the same, why is there only one diagnosis?
>>
>>26345791
I want to see this for myself(the talking for hours part). Can you try talking to me?

Add me on skype [email protected]
>>
>>26345905
This doesn't sound too weird to me.

>>26345948
Sure! I will warn you, I'm going to bed within the half hour, but when I wake up I'll be delighted to talk your ear off.
>>
>>26345791
>I know I'm pretty annoying, but I can tolerate pretty much anyone up to Chris-chan levels of sperg

I'm sure I could too if it was the right dude. This particular guy just turned into an annoying loud douchebag out of nowhere. I'm not trying to say all are like that because I know they're not, but just because that guy was kinda autistic doesn't mean I had to put up with his shit
>>
>>26345934

There are several. It was only with the release of the DSM-V that all of them were put together in to a spectrum of related disorders. Even under the DSM-V, an autism diagnosis would be 'autism spectrum disorder at (certain level of functioning) and (certain features and history).' Under DSM-IV there was classic autism, aspergers syndrome, PDD-NOS, and i think one other super vague one.
>>
I suspect that I have Asperger's. I have a lot of trouble with social interaction and showing emotion. My mannerisms are really robotic because showing emotion makes me uncomfortable. I can usually tell when people are making a joke, but I just fake laughter because I've learned that that's what I'm supposed to do. I used to be pretty good at faking my way through social interaction, but lack of practice over the last decade or so has rendered me socially retarded for the most part. I barely even speak out loud anymore. My teachers when I was first starting school would urge my parents to get me evaluated, which is another reason why I think I might be on the spectrum.

I don't know for sure, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me.
>>
>>26345934
That's a legitimate question. Having one term to refer to a spectrum of people can be rather misleading. Still, it's not as though all neurotypicals act the same (despite them here being encompassed in a single, catch-all term), so it's not very surprising that not all aspies or autists do, either. That, and you can meet all the diagnostic criteria in unique ways compared to others. That is, the guy who rocks and likes trains a lot meets the same diagnostic criteria as the guy who bounces and has an obsession with WWII trivia.

>>26345791
I'm just wondering what kind of accommodations would even be available, and whether it'd even be ethical for somebody who's really high-functioning to even access them.

>>26345788
What if I don't want meds? What else is there besides autismbux? Would it look better, for instance, on a grad school application if I've got great grades and I'm diagnosedly autistic?
>>
>>26346033
I can see how that would be a problem.

>>26346034
Rett syndrome

>>26346081
I have a job coach I work with to help me find jobs since I am helpless at phone calls.
>>
>>26344779
wut

wootmoot
>>
>>26344392
I'm not Aspie and I want to punch him.
>I-I'm not, r-right?
>>
>>26346115

>rett syndrome

that's right. it's pdd-nos that is the vague one and Rett is more specific.
>>
>>26345776
underrated post

(originali)
>>
>>26346039
You probably are, no offense. That's exactly me and though I've never really been officially diagnosed I can put 2 and 2 together and figure out what's going on
>>
>>26344558
True, I know someone just like that. Fun when you first meet him but gets super annoying the more you get to know him. People keep avoiding him and even I sometimes don't answer his calls on purpose, I don't mind his bullshit but when he talks for hours about everything he did since he woke up, and even sometimes, he throws in what he dreamt before waking up. I feel bad about it...
>>
>>26344333

Yeah, OP is basically chibi.
>>
>tfw guy never added me to talk to me and now I have to sleep

>>26346190
I just read the wiki page for Rett Syndrome and it was actually removed entirely from the DSM-5 because it has a known molecular etiology.
>>
eizkdkkdlalskdjdiakjs<
>>
>>26346194

No offense taken. I've suspected it for a while now, I just hate to self-diagnose. Honestly, it would be a relief to have something to blame my odd behavior on. I should probably just go and get the professional diagnosis.
>>
>>26344333

Hi!

Diagnosed aspie + extrovert here.

I have 3 friends and spend most of time alone anyway.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.