[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So whats the deal with learning programming? Is it worth it?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1446976899692.jpg (232KB, 887x900px) Image search: [Google]
1446976899692.jpg
232KB, 887x900px
So whats the deal with learning programming? Is it worth it? Good job opportunities for robots? What are the jobs even? Do people typically learn and do freelance work or go to work for a company?
>>
>>26309068
Everyone should learn to program, but not because of job prospects, that's retarded. It's because it teaches you to think in terms of numerical parametrization of real life phenomena and parsimonious representation of real-life algorithms which to model.
>>
>>26309107
Shut up nerd. We want to become normal.
>>
Programming and computers have been my life since i was about 12. Im in university now and already have a cush job as a developer. Work from home, my hours(self logged), no drug tests, meet with the boss whenever I feel I have something to show him. GF is my coworker, 22/hr with prospects for real jobs whenever i graduate. Ask me whatever you guys want about the field or programming in general.
>>
>>26309068
It's an oversaturated market. That's about all I know.

Every beta nerd on earth hopped on that train years ago.
>>
>>26309132
Don't speak to me of normalcy. I am normal and I would literally, honestly give an arm for a standard deviation of IQ and autism even as would suffice to become an average programmer. You don't realize how much depends on it.
>>
>>26309146

My dear friend your life is exactly what I want. Only problem is I'm 30 with a mortgage so going to school is almost not an option. How should I even start? Is teaching myself with tutorials ok or is a degree necessary. Once I start to learn then what? How do I transition into making money from it?
>>
>>26309146
how did you start programming?
>>
IT jobs generaly don't require drug tests

So theres that...
>>
I've been thinking of going into CS at school but I've been holding back. I don't know if I'm really passionate about it. I had a visualbasic course in HS and it really wasn't all that great. I don't think I'd enjoy life if I had to sit in front of a screen all day being a codemonkey.

That said- I'd love to make video games and websites and stuff like that. What is a programmer's job actually like? I feel like I should just keep it as a hobby.
>>
>>26309228
I'm not the person you posted to but if you enjoy it well you are learning it you can freelance and work on any ideas that you've had, if you haven't had any ideas of anything you want to make or something that you think could "make it" you'll will atleast end up at a office job. All you have to do is prove to an employer that you have the ability to do whatever tasks they assign to you.
>>
>>26309458
If you have an idea anon run with it especially if you have it as just a hobby. If it's just a hobby the worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work and you move on, but if it does work you could be set.
>>
>>26309811
Is it worth it to go into CS if I never had a real passion for programming and don't know anything about code or will I be absolutely swamped by the competition?
>>
>>26309239
just wanted to be cool and make viruses so i learned visual basic and c#. really you just have to discipline yourself to read books.
>>26309228
degree is totally not required. basically anything i have achieved so far was not learned in school. just read read read books. Id reccomend starting with python these days. i started with C myself.
>>
>>26309159
It depends on the languages you know and what you do, security consultants are highly demanded , aka white hat hackers. But in general I don't think it's saturated, maybe easy stuff like high level languages.
>>
>>26309228
the way you get to making money is by being good. if you arent passionate you wont be good, the market is saturated with shitty devs but there is always a place for good ones. ive been offered more things than i can count, but a lot of my classmates worry about ever finding a job and dont have much luck so far(theyre fucking plebs desu)
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.