[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this school any good? Thinking about going as an international

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8

File: photo.jpg (69KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
69KB, 900x900px
Is this school any good? Thinking about going as an international stuent for bio.

My other option is UC Davis, but I'm tired of California.

Rejected from UCL and Imperial.
>>
>>26296654
I am planning on applying for mathematics and philosophy at King's this year. It's one of the top universities in in the UK for philosophy, I don't know about bio but your degree will be well respected. I'd apply.
>>
>>26296654
Kings is decent- got a few friends that study there (engineering). I'm at Warwick and the maths department here is fantastic. Might be worth checking out.
>>
Just go to a University that you actually like. Rankings are hugely bought and paid for and mean virtually nothing to anyone but Students who want to feel smart about attending the X ranked Uni out of Y numbers based off of Z peoples opinions.
The ONLY time what Uni you went to truly matters is when the grading standard in the subject is subject to alterations within the University (For example a Degree in Philosophy from Kings is worth more than a Degree in Philosophy from Westminster). However if you're degree has an objective standard that cannot be altered per Uni then it doesn't matter (An LLB is worth the same whatever Uni you attend).

As with many things its who you meet along the way that counts. I did a Law degree at what is considered one of the worst Universities in the country, but I applied myself and got a 1st. I also did some Mooting competitions (in which I beat people from Oxford and Cambridge Law schools) and thanks to that I met some very handy contacts who helped me out.

>TLDR: Only Students give a fuck about rankings, go to a Uni you like and network like crazy
>>
>>26296879
Alright, I think I'll be going to kings then. Its more expensive, but I have a bit of money and maybe the change in scenery will help my depression.

Also I said Bio, but its specifically Neuroscience
>>
>>26296654
its a second-rate university that litterally everyone gets into with shitty a-levels.

Think of ASU if you're american.
>>
>>26296654
Oxford > UCL > Imperial > Warwick > QMUL >>>>>> KCL
>>
>>26296654
Its kinda a shitty school, def will raise eyebrows with employers.
>>
>>26296654
Why would you go internaional for what is ultimatly a mediocre school.

go davis.
>>
>mfw I go to kings
>no friends
>intercolligate halls full of curries

kill me.
>>
>>26298247
you could be going to queen mary's, anon.
>>
What the fuck is with this KCL hate? It's a good Uni with a worldwide reputation.
>>
>>26298304
>tfw I am
>tfw we were literally found to be #2 nationwide for hosting crazy muslim speakers
o-ouch
>>
File: 1390196904561.gif (839KB, 142x146px) Image search: [Google]
1390196904561.gif
839KB, 142x146px
>>26298359
>worldwide repulation
Hahahaha. Oh wait. You're serious?
>>
>>26298443
>tfw campus in east london
>tfw you hear gunshots from your little tiny uni room
Feelsbadman.jpg
>>
OP here,

You guys have me kinda worried now

I have my Unconditional for Neuro but er....
>>
The KK choir recording of Crofts "The Burial Service" under Willcocks will lead you to the promised land.
>>
>>26296654
KCL is where all the people who couldnt get into any other university go.

its kinda like junior college in america.
>>
I know a bloke who goes to Strand Polytechnic. Hes a legitimate retard.
>>
>>26296654
It's supposed to be one of the top Universitys in the UK. But London is for faggots, they call themselves English but they aren't they are just freaks.
>>
>>26299641
No not really, within the UK its a pretty mediocre college/uni.
>>
>>26299821
>>26299546
>>26299188
>>26298633
>>26298247
>>26298052
>>26297863
>>26297784
this /thread
go to davis
>>
It's the shittest university in London.

Worse than Birkbeck.
>>
It's a college of the University of London, so if your degree is a University of London degree then you're laughing.
The University of London is the best in the country, it's such a powerhouse of an institution that it is broken into its constituent colleges for rankings (such as UCL, KCL, QMUL, RHUL etc.), despite students taking lectures from all colleges.
You'll notice other collegiate universities are ranked as a single entity, like Oxford or Cambridge.
>>
Oxford/Cambridge > Imperial >> UCL >> KCL > Warwick >>>>>QMUL > Royal holloway >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> London Met

Kings isnt as good as UCL/Imperial but it certainly isn't bad, it got into the top 20 universities worldwide a couple of years back.
>>
>>26296654
>>26296721
Did physics and philosophy at kings. The philosophy department is definitely top notch, went to cambridge for post grad
>>
>>26300297
QMUL is only worth going to if you love seeing ISIS recruiters stood outside the uni every day.
Doesn't matter what the standard of lectures is like, the location is fucking awful.
>>
>>26300193
Are you autistic? No its not
>>
>>26300463
>couldn't get into Imperial or Oxford for postgrad
Strand is shit.
>>
>>26300773
What were your marks?
>>
>>26300297
I'd put Durham near the top, certainly above Kings...
>>
You should mainly judge universities by their research scores for your major.
>>
>>26300838

Durham is roughly the same as kings.
>>
>>26300809
My marks? I got a first from UCL and I'm on my second year of a PhD at Imperial.
>>
>>26301047

Couldn't get into cambridge for post grad?

Imperial is shit at postgrad
>>
>>26301631
Imperial and Oxford are the only places worth doing a postgrad.
Cambridge is literally a waste of time.
>>
>>26301683
Are you guys syaing you cant get into Oxford with a degree from KCL?

Fuuuck
>>
>>26300297
How the fuck is KCL higher than Warwick? Are you retarded? Warwick is top 5 easy-

Oxbridge> imperial> Durham/ Warwick/ St. Andrews is the general order of ranking in the UK
>>
and I was just about to find someone else from here in Imperial, on top of them being a biology student as well
shame
>>
File: 1453665532353.jpg (353KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1453665532353.jpg
353KB, 1280x720px
>tfw doing medicine so they're all the same to me
I only know KCL because it's the uni in London that does dentistry that isn't Queen Mary's
>>
>>26303258
Warwick isn't top 5. It's not even top 10.
>>
>>26303386
http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-league-tables-2016

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

In fact warwick has a rep for never being outside of the top 10, so I don't know where the heck you get your info from.

Kings is way down in the 30/40s.
>>
>>26303513
>based on entrance grades and student feedback

Bitter warwick student detected. Couldn't get into Oxbridge, right?
The only thing you should concern yourself with is the research, and Warwick is trash. It's a terrible university.
>>
>>26303564
If you must know, I received an offer from Cambridge but declined because my mom was extremely ill at the time and needed looking after- chose Warwick because it was closer to where I live so I can drive there and back.

But that's besides the point- Warwick is not bad at all. I've got no reason to make it seem better than it is- I'm the one paying fucking ludicrous fees to study here in the first place.
>>
>>26303707
Hahahaha you didn't decline shit. Come ON dude.
There's a reason people call it Coventry Poly.
>>
>>26296654
Fuck you. Davisites are scum. May you rot for eternity.
>>
>>26303749
You sound awfully bitter yourself- not to mention, you really have no clue about anything you are spouting. Mind sharing where you study at?

And really, I couldn't give a fig if you believe me or not- could go out of my way and show you the offer letter but it's 12:15am and I need to sleep.
>>
>>26301683
>Cambridge is literally a waste of time

Generally curious as to why you think this? I'm going there for a master's in October.
>>
>>26303900
Poor man's Oxford. The only univerisities in the whole of Europe worth attending are Oxford and Imperial.

>>26303866
We know you're lying, enjoy your sleep because when you wake up you'll still be attending a shitty uni.
>>
File: spongebob-fry-cook.jpg (92KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
spongebob-fry-cook.jpg
92KB, 500x383px
OP HERE

I still dont have a solid awnser

Davis or KCL? What would be better for future medschool? (Might be in the Ukl with graduate entry)
>>
>>26296654
>King's College
definitely UC Davis

if you don't go to a top 15/20 university in the UK you are wasting your time
>>
>>26303973
>KCL is a top 20 internationally according to QS
>KCL is UNIVERSALLY ranked better than davis in every single poll,
>go to kcl

OP KCL is a better school. I dunno if its worth the extra shekels though.
>>
>>26303960
KCL
the university of london degree far outweighs any meme degree you can get in the states
>>
The degree you (should) get from KCL is the same as the degree you'd get from UCL, RHUL or any other University of London college for that subject.
>>
>>26303949
Oh, you're trolling.

I honestly thought there may have been a reason, eg that Cambridge masters are just for them to make money etc.

>Poor man's Oxford

Cambridge always beats out Oxford for top spot in the UK rankings, and often finishes highest in the world rankings too.

Pro tip: They're both good.
>>
>>26304035
Cambridge always ranks lower than Oxford, loses the boat race more often and rarely gets to the finals of University Challenge.

In fact Cambridge are so butthurt about Oxford being better that they are the reason you can't apply to both universities.
I wouldn't say Cambridge is good, it's ok, on par with the other Russell Group universities, but not good.

Please do not fall for the "Oxbridge" meme that they push. It is Oxford, not Oxbridge. Cambridge is really quite terrible in comparison.
>>
File: 795961.jpg (49KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
795961.jpg
49KB, 640x480px
City University London represent, woop woop
>>
UC Anything >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>KCL

KCL is a shitty school
>>
File: Samuel_Johnsonskdjncvskj.png (534KB, 832x1119px) Image search: [Google]
Samuel_Johnsonskdjncvskj.png
534KB, 832x1119px
>>26304076
Lol.

>Cambridge always ranks lower than Oxford
But it doesnt.

>Rarely gets to the finals of university challenge
They've won the last two in a row, and three out of the last six.

Troll harder m80.
>>
>>26304130
ucl = kcl = rhul = qmul = soas = birkbeck = lse

the degrees you get are the s a m e
>>
>>26304182
UC Davis is not the same as KCL

UC davis is in the US.

UC Davis is buch better
>>
>>26304241
>American education
Is this a joke post?
>>
>>26304336
University of California is one of the best in the world.
>>
>>26304076
cambridge >> oxford for maths, sorry
>>
Lol.

University rankings don't mean shit for most subjects. You get a vibe on if somewhere is good for you if you visit. That's a lot harder to do for international students though.

So many people argue over rankings and league tables when its the person and what they do with their education and degree that matter.

OP as long as the uni has decent course and has a decent department for what you want to study, it'll be fine and the rest is up to you.
>>
>>26304595
Cambridge is awful for maths. There's a reason Penrose and Hawking work at Oxford.
>>
>>26304737
Hawking works at Cambridge
>>
>>26304796
Yeah but he's going senile now, they probably palmed him off to cambridge because of all his crazy alien talk and not actually working on real maths/physics.
>>
>>26304838
He's been at Cambridge since the 60's.

Nigga, what do you have against Cambridge so much? Did they reject you at an interview or something? It's arguably the best University in the world along with a handful of others. Just accept it.
>>
Wait a minute, did the UC's already send out a letter of admittance?
I thought that shit wasn't till April?
>>
>>26304912
OP HERE
TAG agreement
>>
>>26304895
I love seeing Cambridge runts like you squirm.
When someone hears Oxford they think of prestige, ancient tradition, great minds. When they hear Cambridge they think of... not a lot, where was it again?
Hahaha
>>
Wait I have offers to study an LLB at Warwick, Kings and Birmingham.
which one should I go for?
>>
File: saythattomyface.jpg (10KB, 245x251px) Image search: [Google]
saythattomyface.jpg
10KB, 245x251px
>>26304930
Cheeky prick
>>
>>26305066
KCL.

All this KCL shitposting is actually troll.
>>
>University of Manchester
>Best Physics Department outside of Cambridge
>Best University Challenge record
>Best drug scene
>>
>>26305066
>LLB
irrelevant where you get it
>Birmingham
>London
Go to these if you love muslims.

>Warwick
Go here if you want a fresh open campus, 24h Tesco 5 minutes away, relaxing atmosphere.
The only bad thing is that it isn't actually in Warwick, it's in Coventry. And the Coventry locals are freaks.
>>
>>26305129
>Tfw southerners ruin >my city

Pls go
>>
>>26305231
I thought it mattered where you got an LLB from, especially when applying to city firms?
>>
>>26305442
nah the bar exam is the same wherever you are
>>
>>26304930
Oh so same shit as me.
I ain't considering Davis unless they offer me a regent scholarship.
>>
Ignore all KCL shills

It's called strand polytechnic for a reason
>>
>>26298733
Dont lie
>>
>>26305767
/thread

end this artful smear
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.