[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You ever wonder what it's like to be good at something?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: 1446194587873.png (704KB, 765x513px) Image search: [Google]
1446194587873.png
704KB, 765x513px
You ever wonder what it's like to be good at something?

A talent? Even a skill? Doesn't have to be anything remarkable or interesting, just something that you do better than most people.

For fuck's sake, I'm not even good at video games, and I've had my job for almost two years now without actually learning how to do anything properly.
>>
File: image%3A5872.png (82KB, 292x534px) Image search: [Google]
image%3A5872.png
82KB, 292x534px
I'm good at...
3d modeling, I'm pretty amateurish but still better than most of the world population
When a 2d artist watches me work they look at me like I'm doing some sortg of magic lol
>>
>>26208856
I'm pretty good at juggling, but I haven't practiced in over a year.
>>
>>26208856
I'm """""good""""" at drawing, better than most normies but definitely not good enough, the only diffrence is that I have basic understanding of how to use perspective. But I still can't even make a straight line properly.
>>
>>26209007
I feel the same way about my writing. I can make something not read like a shopping list, but when I actually read anything that I like I weep at my own incompetence.
>>
>>26209007
>>26209065
That's pretty good, I used to feel the same way about my modeling but then j saw an entire class struggle with it for an entire year
Chances are you are better than you give yourself credit for, better. Not good, just like me
People like us just need to work because we are in the right path
>>
>>26209135
It's all about practice and effort. Innate talent is nice an all, but everyone who wants to be good has to work their ass off to get there
>>
File: 1432185707679.png (218KB, 600x579px) Image search: [Google]
1432185707679.png
218KB, 600x579px
>>26208856
im good at making vidya. had some success. as usual this is a "grass is greener" situation OP. to get good at something you need a naturally obsessive and perfectionist mindset which brings you a ton of stress, you'll isolate yourself to work on your craft, most normies don't appreciate what you do at all and ultimately you fret constantly about what you do and whether its good enough, until the anxiety becomes so great you drop it - at which point you're anxious that your one skill no longer brings you joy and whether you can do anything else. if you have success you're anxious about not living up to that next time and desperately try to recreate that success. if you have failure you just feel bad, and whatever you do you get a lot of hate and criticism and general annoying faggots who want to criticise you and your work.

basically, stressful, self esteem destroying all around. don't you hear about artists killing themselves and being poor..etc, even successful ones?
>>
I'm literally good at nothing. I'm ok at some things I guess but not actually talented. I was a mediocre athlete, musician, and programmer and a decent student. My only interest is medieval history and it's embarrassing how little I actually know considering it's my only thing
>>
>>26209347
Practice more
>>
>tfw no hobbies or interests or anything that catches my attention

like really, i'm not good at anything at all but at least i try

...then quit
>>
>>26208988
I can juggle 3 balls, but I get too nervous to do in front of people. What can you juggle?
>>
File: feel guy smiling.gif (13KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
feel guy smiling.gif
13KB, 633x758px
>tfw nobody can use a shotgun better than me in bf4 multiplayer
>>
>tfw played guitar for over 10 years and literally no better than someone who's been playing for a year

I'm a waste of oxygen
>>
>>26208856
i was thinking about this the other day when my brother made me watch American Football with him, and tom brady was on the screen

I was like, imagine being born and finding out at like, 8 years old or whatever that you can throw a ball really fucking well, and then someone tells you, that's really valued, and sure you have to work hard, but your path is just there before you, you're gonna be a quarterback.

Like, i think having something to work on in the first place is half the battle, once you have direction you can start to build momentum

not to mention that this would have made him the coolest fucking guy throughout his entire childhood and teenage years, he was genetically gifted to be like 6'7 and handsome as fuck, was probably knee deep in pussy all throughout his life, (and is now married to a fucking supermodel that makes more money than he does), but even without the women, it's just the confidence that a lifetime of being treated that well brings.

People will say, but he must be a nice guy, people wouldn't want him to play if he was a total asshole/girls wouldn't want him if he was an asshole etc. But the thing is, if you or me were treated favourably throughout our lives, we were the cool kid, girls gave us the time of day growing up etc, we'd probably be pretty fucking nice too.

I'm not even particularly as jealous as this makes me sound, i just feel defeated. The guy is tall, a world famous athlete, rich as fuck, married to a supermodel, has kids, and will retire at like 40 latest and enjoy the rest of his life.

Fucking hell
>>
I'm pretty good at typing I guess
>>
File: 56y5735.jpg (32KB, 394x481px) Image search: [Google]
56y5735.jpg
32KB, 394x481px
>>26208856
I can do this thumb trick
>>
>>26209601
"I guess" is not that hard of a phrase to type
>>
>>26209539
Back when I was practicing I could do a lot of tricks with 3, 4 no problem, and 5 for ~50-100 throws consistently. I used to have a decent 3 ball routine I could do, but like I said, I haven't practiced in a while and I can't remember the tricks I included in it.
>>
Yeah, if I had a moderately respectable level of talent I'd have something to feel good about. I'm not sure it'll ever happen though.
>>
>>26208856
Nah if you're good at something you take it for granted and don't really care.

Approaching good at something is the sweet spot.
>>
>>26209960
You can be good at something and love it too.
>>
>>26208856
I thought this was normal... it's not?
>>
>>26208856
Yes, but never better than just "good" at anything, despite years of practice. Always progressing faster than others but then peaking much earlier in everything
>>
>>26208856
I'm good at math. It doesn't feel like being good at something, it just feels like everyone else is unusually bad.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.