[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Playing video games or using the computer is awful >Sitting

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1400205830092.png (11KB, 211x246px) Image search: [Google]
1400205830092.png
11KB, 211x246px
>Playing video games or using the computer is awful
>Sitting in front of a TV for hours on end is considered just fine
Where does this fucking line of thinking come from?
>>
Nobody thinks that though
>>
>>26193426
this is my fucking mom. she sits on her ass watching soap operas all damn day, but when im on the computer she screams and says im making myself retarded.
>>
>>26193475
this. what you said, op, is a stupid facebook meme.
>>
>>26193475
Growing up my parents and the parents of most people I knew felt that way. They would sit in front of the TV from dawn to dusk but would freak if you did anything else for more than an hour
>>
>>26193475
a lot of parents watch reality tv all day and then criticize their kids for being on the computer all day
>>
>>26193545
>>26193525
Sounds like you just had shitty parents

Both are bad for you
>>
>>26193590

Not even those anons but it's true, in the US atleast. Tons of families have parents that just watch stupid shit all day. Especially single moms.
>>
>>26193475

Of course they do. Normies always love to talk about how bingewatching shows is their favourite waste of time.

Watching TV is acceptable over video games because it's simply more for normies. They're marketed more towards normies, and there's the social aspect of talking about your favourite normie shows with your normie friends. Normies aren't going to talk about how their obscure fighting strategy in whatever difficult normie unfriendly game is the best. They'd rather talk about the Normies on TV shows who get caught up in their amazing normie adventures.
>>
File: imblymination.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
imblymination.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>26193426
>Where does this fucking line of thinking come from?
>>
TV is much older and thus more accepted, back in the '50s and '60s parents told their kids to stop watching so much TV and go outside.

TV is much simpler. You turn it on, put on the channel of your choice, and sit back and let your brain melt into a nice milkshake-like consistency.

TV based on books (i.e. Game of Thrones) makes normies feel smart while any game more complicated than "touch the shiny gems and give us all your money" makes them feel clumsy and stupid.
>>
>>26194937
People laughing at those who sit on the computer and playing vidya while they pride themselves of watching seasons worth of a series at once and staring at their phones.
>>
>>26193426

It's cultural inertia. Our parents watched TV in their free time and they raised us so they got to decide what normal was, and that's the only reason which matters. To be fair TV used to be a big cultural touchstone, back before there were a bazingillion channels and everyone could be relied on to be watching basically the same things. It was something you could discuss.

I think in terms of general health and mental acuity, the outlook is that video games>>>>>>TV, because even the shittiest video games require input from the player, while even the best TV forces you to just sit there and drink it in passively. If you ask any psychologist which is better for a kid to do, play a game or watch TV, they'll pick the game. And if you ask someone what will keep you sharp into your old age, they'll again recommend gaming over TV. As far as computer use goes that's also one of the things that's contributed to Gen X and beyond being leagues more literate than the boomers ever were. I mean, look at us right now. We're using our free time to type long-ish posts at each other where we are pressured to keep spelling, grammar and clarity to the best levels we can because otherwise someone will greentext our mistakes and make the post worthless. This is so much more engaging and stimulating than TV is, and it's fucking 4chan. Hell, even facebook asks more of the user than a TV.

>>26194047

I think this is something that only used to be true. I'm more of what might still be called a cyborg, so I know some of the ol' normies, and TV discussion is not the conversational bounty you're thinking. It would be if everyone watched the same shows, but there's so much shit out there to watch that hardly anyone is watching the same things. What a lot of that boils down to is
>Are you watching X?
>No, haven't seen it yet, any good?
>Yeah it's great.
>Seen Y?
>No, not yet...any good?
>Yup.

Ain't nobody bonding over that shit.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.