[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why haven't you read The Brothers Karamazovs yet? >he

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: Dostoyevsky.jpg (548KB, 1578x1164px) Image search: [Google]
Dostoyevsky.jpg
548KB, 1578x1164px
Why haven't you read The Brothers Karamazovs yet?

>he thinks he's an intellectual and he does not read Russian literature mfw
>>
I don't know how to read Russian and reading translated literature is literally the plebbest thing a man can do
>>
>>26192730

it is merely a stupid story, i dont give a shit
>>
>>26192943
it questions God, morality and the human condition how is that stupid? Its quite possibly the greatest work of fiction ever written. Fuck you plebs
>>
>>26192730
I bet you read it in English faggot. Try becoming an actual intellectual first before you try and go after other people.
>>
>>26193949
Dostoevsky and Tolstoy are the only reason left to learn Russian. Still worth it though, even if it takes a decade to fully learn.
>>
>>26193617

all those are trite. Jesus, when will people give that shit a rest?
>>
>>26192730
i've read crime and punishment. brothers K is the next fyodora i have to tackle.
>>
>>26194076
There's some pretty great Russian films out there too
>>
>>26193617

>it questions God, morality and the human condition

Sounds like a toxic book

read julius evola instead if you actually want growth and not edgy garbage
>>
I'm reading Crime and Punishment right now, I'm enjoying it so far.

On a side note, I just finished A Farewell to Arms for my english class, and its probably the worst book I've ever had to finish.
>>
File: 1454369151330.jpg (19KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
1454369151330.jpg
19KB, 480x300px
>>26194173
Wait until the sun also rises
Literally about a whore
>>
>>26192730
Cause I don't like fiction. I'd rather read the direct thoughts of writers and not their fantasies. I enjoy reading philosophy and would appreciate some recommendations.

>inb4 entry level garbage like Nietzsche
>>
>>26192730

I did read it, about 3 or 4 years ago. I read slaughterhouse 5 (which I found pretty average, was too overhyped I guess). One of the characters was touting the Karamazov Bros as the best book ever, so I figured what the fuck, might as well take a stab at classic Russian lit. Turned out to be one of the best books I've read. A few sections were really dry, like the religious bullshit, but I related to Ivan's character really strongly and the love triangle / murder was pretty cool.
>>
I'm an intellectual and I refuse to read.

>mfw you can't refute me
>>
>>26194076
>the only reason left to learn russian
Russian is probably the most useful language to know today after English.
>>
>>26194307
start with the Greeks
I realize this is a meme but its true
start with presocratic philosophers and work your way into continental philosophy
>>
>going to /lit/

Reading books doesn't make you smart

Being a person makes you smart
>>
>>26194173
Excellent book, I finished it awhile back. The epilogue was lackluster, but all-in-all, an excellent argument against rationalism.
>>
>>26192730
>Why haven't you read The Brothers Karamazov?

1000. fucking. pages.

I'm getting started on it, but holy hell, it's as long as Les Mis.
>>
>>26192730
Isn't that just a book you read in high school, it was alright but I wasn't a huge fan
>>
>>26192730
because Dostoevsky is waay to heavy handed on his anti atheist allegories. Like he might as well title all his books after he went to jail "Fuk u atheism" granted he has a marvelous ability to express it, but still its like being beaten over the head.
>>
>>26194763
Did you read the Brothers Karamazov or not?
>>
>>26193617
>it's confirmed for possibly being the great work ever written
Confirmed for not having an understanding of the history of literature
>>
>>26194426
I think Chinese or Spanish come after english. Russian is not as big (in quantity of speakers )as Chinese nor widely spread like Spanish
>>
>>26194395
too smart to be entertained anon?

are you also too smart for a gf by any chance
>>
I had a friend who suggested it to me
I no longer talk to this person and would rather not think of them so I wont read it
>>
File: 1454382501195.jpg (59KB, 500x634px) Image search: [Google]
1454382501195.jpg
59KB, 500x634px
>>26194485
>he reads a post that doesn't mention /lit/
>>goes to lit
>his life revolves around 4chan.org
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.