[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

'Geek' Culture Is Normie

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

Is there anything more annoying than modern 'geek culture', or am I just being nostalgic?

I know that there were always lame 'star trek conventions' and shit like that, but I feel that the whole phenomenon has just blown up in the last 10 years, to the level that it's now a full blown industry.

All these different 'fandoms' just like... I dunno. It seems like there's something immensely faggy about calling yourself part of a fandom, I can't put my finger on it, but it's definitely real.

Also, the whole thing is a gigantic hive mind. If you check reddit first thing in the morning, there's about a 95% chance you'll know what all the 'geeks' you know will be talking about when you meet them that day.

In fact, you know what it kind of reminds me of?

Remember 'scene'? You know like, the whole phenomenon of all ages shows and these different styles of 'alternative' music that were basically the same as each other, yet whose followers thought their particular brand of emo made them the most unique snowflake on earth?

That's kinda what 'geek culture' is for an older, fatter type of people... It's another one of these 'conforming to non-conformity' type deals.
>>
>>26081966
it blew up for some reason, i think it's because the old action movie shit wasn't selling anymore, and with the advent of internet and online stores, big companies saw a lot of profit to be made.

It is, they are butchering every single franchise , i remember doctor who back in 2006 nobody cared for it, now there's so many tumblr and reddit fandoms it's disgusting.

it's sad everything is being taken and butchered .......

fucking disgusting
>>
I work with someone who introduces himself to people as batman. He knows very little about DC outside of video games.
>>
File: 1442859108067.jpg (49KB, 274x411px) Image search: [Google]
1442859108067.jpg
49KB, 274x411px
>>26082156

holy satan that's sad
>>
>>26082156
>>26082123
This, no one likes capeshit out of movies or videogames and comics are still a semi-niche hobby.

Although comics are shit in their own right, better to pick up a book. Is reading books considered geeky? I guess not since you can't model your whole identity around them.
>>
>Don't read comics. Barely know anything about the DC and Marvel lore of the characters you see plastered in your movies theaters and TV.
>With the current year, I and others could easily become the "Alpha Geek" just by knowing the shit seen from the TV shows, movies, and games.
That's what happens when normies like something. You don't need to know anything about medium to be apart of the community.
>>
File: normalfags.png (5KB, 230x200px) Image search: [Google]
normalfags.png
5KB, 230x200px
>>26081966
Video games are normie as fuck. Every kid plays video games, most teenagers, and half of adults aged 20-30. Playing a lot of video games doesn't make you a robot. They are an accepted part of mainstream culture. I'm sick of seeing those /v/tards here talking about vidya as if it is the apex of robotdom.
>>
>>26082258
ow yeah the new

Omg guys look i read, i'm so interesting

hate that shit so much, people that post pictures of them at cafes with a "smart" book that they don't even understand.

truth is the fault here are social networks and narcissism and self centering yourself and always looking for confirmation.

hate this gay earth so much.

>>26082259
well, kind of, if someone more "cultured" for lack of a better word, starts digging into things more hidden to the normie he will be revealed Galactus actually being somewhat of a good guy, he maintains balance in the universe by destroying planets so they don't over populate.

there's a lot of things a normie fag would not know about even though he claims to be a fan of a certain comic book universe. But since they are surrounded by people who know as little as they do they're never gonna get called out on their bullshit
>>
>>26082165
Hes fucked in thr head. Hes like 34. Wears a batman hat and coat. He was in iraq i dont know if that had something to do with it
>>
>>26081966
>Remember 'scene'?
Yeah but scene died out after a year.
This nerd thing has been going on since like 2002.
>>
>>26082373
it most definitely does.
>>
I never understood the appeal of these generic power fantasy comics to be honest, even as a kid I knew they were trash only a retard with no taste would enjoy.
>>
>>26082587
escapism

the same way i enjoy watching Cowboy Bepop, or Space Dandy, they enjoy reading comic books.
>>
>>26081966
I feel ya OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ5iwGApwLM
>>
>>26082419
a year? what it lasted a while like 3 or 4 years
>>
I think it's great actually.

My friends have always known that I read comics since high school but they never bothered getting into them until the whole MCU craze. Now I can easily recommend them stuff to read and talk about the stories with people I actually know and like instead of randoms on /co/ or other comicbook boards. I would have never expected my muslim female friend to have liked Sandman in high school. Also it allows me to use it as something more prominent in making myself memorable or unique to people instead of hiding it.

If you were bullied about it ages ago, that's tough but there is no point is making it equally as suffering for everyone else just because you got made fun of.
>>
>>26082258
Only if it's genre fiction, but you should ignore that crap anyway.
>>
>>26082258
>a medium is better than another medium
yep, you definitely belong here
>>
>>26082725
Conquer that mudslime pussy and convert her to Catholicism. Make that Arab bitch your slave.
>>
>>26081966
only if they brag about it, or if their fucking reddit posts are all about vidya, they need to gtfo
>>
>>26082156
You don't happen to work at a Smashburger do you?
>>
File: 1453174613597.jpg (35KB, 428x439px) Image search: [Google]
1453174613597.jpg
35KB, 428x439px
>Shit formerly liked only by socially retarded plebs is now liked by regular plebs.
>>
>>26081966

bigger fandom means more people buying the merchandise which gives us more geek stuff. You hardcore geeks pirate every comic
>>
what i find amazing is how all this capeshit garbage is now very popular for woman

i guess it makes sense because women have shit taste and comic book movies and tv shows are the lowest of the low in terms of shit taste
>>
>>26081966
>It seems like there's something immensely faggy about calling yourself part of a fandom, I can't put my finger on it, but it's definitely real.

It was fine when they were called "fanbases" because that just implied you were a person who liked a piece of media. "Fandom" implies that you're obnoxious enough to actually mold your whole identity around it.
>>
>>26082348

>truth is the fault here are social networks and narcissism and self centering yourself and always looking for confirmation.

Compensatory, defensive bullshit. You're just puking up all the buzzwords you can think of as reasons why you shouldn't read.
You should read.

>hate this gay earth so much.

Kill yourself then, edgy kid.

>>26082776

Obviously 'better' needs qualification, but I think you are comparing two abstract categories, rendered devoid of substance.
A book and a video game are only the same in the minds of fantasists looking to dissolve everything into basic equivalence to appease their own laziness.
Eat shit, cunt, and fuck off back to the digg clone.
>>
>>26084422
Only movies and shows are popular with them. Most of them don't care about the video games, and the second you bring up anything that happens in comics, they lose all interest talking with you.
>>
File: ifereffing.png (545KB, 629x437px) Image search: [Google]
ifereffing.png
545KB, 629x437px
>>26084668

>
Compensatory, defensive bullshit. You're just puking up all the buzzwords you can think of as reasons why you shouldn't read.
You should read.

posts on kikebook and instashit

look i'm reading Walt Withman how cool am i.

i never said don't read, just don't think that doing so makes you special, plastering every network with your "passion" for books.

struck a nerve there faggot,

do you post your shittaste in books on social media????

>Kill yourself then, edgy kid.

kek , like i need you to tell me that. Fuck off

>Eat shit, cunt, and fuck off back to the digg clone.

he mad boys watch out.
>>
>>26081966

"Geeks" are just a different flavor of hipster. Different signifiers of status but same consumerist herd mentality. I'm not sure if the geeks embracing their consumerism is better or worse than the hipsters denying it, though.
>>
>>26084193
I work in a resturant but not that one
>>
>>26081966
Who gives a fuck?
The whole geek culture thing started when everyone on 4chan were teenagers or still mere children, who weren't polluted by 4chan yet.

You're either looking at a time period you've never experienced, and getting all asspained about not getting to be a nerd before it was cool, or you're too fucking old to be complaining about shit on 4chan.
>>
>>26084193
Also dont tell me there is more than one person in this world that tells people his name is batman
>>
>>26085045

Hipsters didn't exist when geeks were true geeks. Hipsters were called yuppies or something, and didn't enjoy sci-fi or fantasy or shitty internet games. But yes, by today's standards you are completely correct.
>>
>>26082156
I once met a crackhead on the street who called himself John Spiderman.
>>
>>26085078
This is the truth.

I'm a oldfag geek that grew up when you had to shop for comics and Manga in the same place as sport fags picked up their baseball cards. Legit had to deal with being picked on every time I had to get my fix. It must be nice growing up in at time when your stuff is not only embraced, but you've got posers as well. You've got nothing to complain about. Unless you yourself only like the things you do, because it's counter culture.

Besides being a geek was never really about the subject matter anyway. Is about the passion. SW/ST for example was always pop shit, it's when you get any deeper than the surface shit, that you cross over into geek territory. Most really exclusively geeky shit, is geeky because you have to spend a lot of time, effort, and money to get into it. You have to have a obession level passion to even participate.
>>
>>26084962

>i never said don't read, just don't think that doing so makes you special, plastering every network with your "passion" for books.

You presume that people do this, because doing so gratifies you. Like a wee boy who endlessly criticises everything, and yet never does anything, and is proficient in nothing.
I like how you talk about folk putting on airs, and then just name drop Whitman as though it makes your posturing faggotry somewhat more legitimate (which is exactly why you did it).

>kek , like i need you to tell me that. Fuck off

Why haven't you killed yourself yet, bitch?
>>
It's really just a way for capitalists to exploit gullible fools who think they are liking something which makes them an outsider when really they are being more conformist than ever.
>>
every normie girl nowdays claims to like capeshit stuff and is a "nerd". you know shit is bad when girls in yoga pants and ugg boots are claming to be "nerds" and have batman posters on their wall. what a pathetic age we live in.
>>
>>26086241
the main reason they watch the movies is because the guys playing the superheroes are hot

that's pretty much it
>>
>>26085096
I work at a cafe and have a guy that calls himself batman. Its possible there is.
>>
File: 1241316205056.jpg (119KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1241316205056.jpg
119KB, 640x480px
>>26081966
>'geek' culture
>muh Marvel, DC, and vidya

Oh thank fuck. As long as weebshit, tabletop, and PC gaming stays relatively safe I won't miss the majority of that other shit.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.