[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how financially successful are you, /r9k/? i'm one year

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: 20160125_131308.jpg (87KB, 1000x327px) Image search: [Google]
20160125_131308.jpg
87KB, 1000x327px
how financially successful are you, /r9k/? i'm one year out of undergrad and just got a raise to $128k a year.
>>

Spent it all on a luxury car and motorcycle, along with gym training.

Just wanted a change in my life.
>>
>>26017876
What do you do?
O
R
I
G
I
N
A
L
>>
>>26017876

I earn 6,000 pounds a year and barely cope.
>>
File: 1451949673645.gif (50KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1451949673645.gif
50KB, 800x800px
>>26017959
software engineer at a financial software company. living and working in midtown manhattan.
>>

It's been fine for just me, but my gf's son's birthday is coming up so I'm hoping I get a raise.
>>
I make about 120k a year at my job. I'm a single male so this is pretty great for me.
>>
>>26017998
What are the ins and outs of the job?
What'd you study in college?
>>
GET THE FUCK OUT YOU ARENT A ROBOT
>>
>>26017962
what do you do? why can't/won't you do something which pays more?
>>
>>26018000
>2016
Dating a mom
>>
i make 15k a year working full time. all my money goes to my landlord and uncle sam. I can't afford to have a gf even if a girl was interested in me.
>>
I'm not financially successful at all. I'm literally drowning in debt, and I'm only 21.
>>
>>26018000
>my gf's son's
lol
cuck
>>
>>26017998
Are you moving everything to the web?

I guess that's the trend today.
Thinking into getting into php java ect...
>>
File: 1444785769987.jpg (342KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1444785769987.jpg
342KB, 1920x1080px
>>26018053
i'm a software engineer, which really means programmer/code monkey. i work on the infrastructure for a realtime messaging client, writing distributed systems in c++ and non-critical bits in python.

i studied computer engineering at a public university and got a good gpa.
>>
i got a grand total of 75 dollarydoos (converted from local currency) combined of cash & savings to last me two weeks (which is when i will be at about 400, which is not great either but at least it's something)
life is not good at the moment
>>
>>26018130
if you're trying to say you want to learn programming, then do javascript. it's easy and useful, you can throw together a website and show recruiters how resourceful you are.

but learn c or assembly (or computer architecture) sometime if you're serious about becoming a real programmer.
>>
>>26017876
9k in a third world country.
>>
42k Euros before taxes, which is pretty good in Europoor.

Of course after taxes it's only about 28.9k
>>
>>26017876
>Manhatten
>100k+

How much do you really take home after you get raped by taxes and rent.
>>
>>26018303
be glad, friend.. i pay 49.8% of my income in taxes
>>
>>26018195
>learn c or assembly (or computer architecture) sometime if you're serious about becoming a real programmer

I can't agree with this more. There's a shit ton of people that know how to do web development, but C and assembler will always be God-tier when it comes to programming. I started with C and assembler; everything just fell into place after that.
>>
>>26018135
do you like it? is it worth your time?
>>
>>26018362
yeah, i'm doing exactly what i signed up for, stress is low, and i'm now getting paid twice as much as my classmates from the same major who are working elsewhere.
>>
living on tendiebux desu
>>
>>26018419
I do IT work for a small company in NY. Got only an ok GPA for my major (management/information systems, not actual computer science) and I learned cF and Python for my work.
Do I have a shot of working for a firm like yours?

>tfw it takes me hours to write up some code for bullshit online classes
>>
I'm a 22 year old college dropout and I work part time for a handyman. Most people doing my job don't speak English. I'm a failure.
>>
>>26018489
here are some typical interview questions i've seen at my company:

- given a pointer to a node A in a linked list, insert a new node in front of A

- given a list of integer IDs, write a function get_id() such that each call to get_id() returns a single (uniformly distributed) random ID from the list. get_id() should not return the same ID twice until it has returned every ID in the list once.

- write a function which estimates the area covered on a 2d plane by overlapping circles

you should also be able to do design problems, e.g. how would you design a backend for twitter
>>
>>26018419
>i'm now getting paid twice as much as my classmates from the same major who are working elsewhere
so what you're saying is that you make much more money in an area with a much higher cost of living
>>
>>26017876
Salary is only 65k, but bonus is usually north of a million. I work in energy, specifically trading crude for one of the supermajors. I am financially successful, especially so because I'm really quite frugal. I never tell anyone in person what I make, I live alone, and have no family (in the city I live), nor do I have a gf.
>>
>>26018319
Bu bu bu mah healthcare and schools is free.

we could title this thread "why to not vote democrat"
>>
Why do you feel the need to go to a place like /r9k/, full of some of the saddest and most unemployed losers in the Western world, and wave your paycheck around?

Do you like to go into petting zoos and kick the animals?
>>
>>26018676
What is "trading crude" exactly? How does this work? Do you have anything I can read up about this?
>>
File: 1446830251812.png (758KB, 1332x629px) Image search: [Google]
1446830251812.png
758KB, 1332x629px
>>26018732
because i wanted to make you personally feel bad. mission accomplished.
>>
>>26017998
>living and working in midtown manhattan
neat, we earn the same adjusted for cost of living (i earn 65k in the midwest)
>>
>>26017998
>NYC
Well that partly explains why your salary is so high. NYC has an inflated standard of living compared to the rest of the country.
>>
>Asset protection manager at Walmart
Feels good
>>
>>26018746

the short story is I buy oil from suppliers, and sell it anywhere I can. Sometimes I have to do blendstocks (where I'll set up for two grades to be mixed in tank and delivered at points a>b>c...etc.) other times I might set up contracts, like for instance the russian ruble has fallen pretty drastically. each one of my dollars can now buy 3x as much oil when converted to the local currency (before even accounting for the price crash). so perhaps my contract is for 200k barrels/month out of west russia, for delivery to china (delivery set in USD), tankering is contracted for 12 months, and the currency difference (along with credit issues in russia) might cause the spread between russian and japanese crude to open to 4 USD/bbl. so now my trade is locked in making 4 dollars per barrel, on 200k barrels, every month for 12 months, and it's almost all on credit, so I don;t even have to lay out money in advance. My company keeps 95% of the profit, I keep 5% delivered at the end of the year as my bonus.

this is just one trade, in a good year, I might make 10-20 big trades like this
>>
>>26017998
rofl midtown.

come at an hft downtown before pulling your tiny dick out faggot
>>
not bad
250k 1 year out of highschool here :^)
>>
File: 1452361160865.jpg (57KB, 390x340px) Image search: [Google]
1452361160865.jpg
57KB, 390x340px
>>26018959
No No No you're lying fuck you
>>
>>26018946
i work 40 hours a week
>>
Make 25k and go to college part time on the gi bill. Extremely comfy
>>
>>26018959
Are you bill gates son senpai?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.