[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any nurses in here? Redpill me on the career

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

File: 1453387331884.jpg (346KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1453387331884.jpg
346KB, 1280x1707px
Any nurses in here? Redpill me on the career
>>
>>25930151
>wipe runny tarry stool out of old peoples butts
>>
Nursing student here

Good career choice in Aus, guaranteed work, good pay and it's a really fun gig
>>
My sister is in school to be one. It's competitive, don't think you can be lazy or drag your feet through the process.

That said, it's good pay for hard work that you can potentially love. Expect long shifts, sometimes back to back. You're in the business of helping people and that's its own bag of rewards and punishments.

Female nurses always end up being the old ladies that still move around and do all their normal shit, in my experience. A lifetime of walking from sick asshole to sick asshole will do that to you, I guess.
>>
>>25930172
I don't know the official terminology, I just know nurses from >>25930202 , but I know that only the lower level nurses deal with that. I mean, flat out as a nurse you have to be comfortable with being around shit and piss and vomit and sickness and all sorts of wounds, but assuming you do all your normal nurse schooling you should be able to rise above that.
>>
>>25930202
my aunt was a nurse and quit after 10 or 15 years to run an antiques shop because according to her, as good as the pay is, the job is stressful and shitty
>>
>>25930174
Also working around basically all women and being able to start work at 3pm is god tier
>>
>>25930259
Valid opinion. I don't think the workload is any secret. They sure as hell don't hide the truth from the students while they're in school, all the nursing classes and programs are filled up and compacted as it is; they'd probably relish the chance to drop a few.

OP, if you're going to be a nurse, expect everything that nurse might have to deal with. While you can enjoy the opportunity to help or take care of a qt, or see some kid's smile when you come to check on his healing progress, you also are going to have to deal with a geriatric fuck shitting the floor and calling the other nurses niggers while the freaky, horrifying burn victims in the burn ward audibly pray for death. It's a mixed bag but it is what is is.
>>
>>25930151
stop watching so much tv, you fucking waste of life
>>
>>25930151
you can volunteer in a hospital (lol, unpaid labor)

it's actually mandatory for a lot of programs. that will give you a good idea about what it's like

- terrible vacation time
- tedious work
- get shat on by doctors
>>
I am a registered nurse in Southern California.

Pros:
> if you are willing to work ANYWHERE ( including SNF's and psychiatry and prisons) you can easily find a job that pays at least $50k.
> outside California at least $40k
> you are usually unionized and paid by the hour meaning that you get paid extra to work overtime, unlike salaried employees
> there's plenty of room for growth and higher salary including NP school and CRNA school
> when you come home from work you don't have to do work from home
> people generally respect nursing
> you have an honest job and are there for sick people

Cons:
> the hours are usually shitty. You most likely will have to work overnight shifts which are a pain in the ass and make you sick
> pay isn't very high. I make $60k a year. After taxes and retirement that's like $1500 for a biweekly paycheck. Rent for a studio is at least $1500 so almost half of my income would go to rent if I wasn't living with my parents
> you will have to deal with a ton of poop if you work in the hospital or in a nursing home
> if you don't work in the hospital you will be looked down upon in the nursing world
> often workplaces are understaffed and you may have dangerous ratios

Overall it's not bad. I make $60k with a bachelor's degree and I am at the less prestigious and lower end of the pay scale which is not something most bachelor's degree holders can say for themselves.
>>
Oh, they also drug test like crazy. Very frequently.
>>
>>25930456
Yeah I forgot to add you have to work holidays which sucks. Unless you work in a clinic.
>>
>>25930480
In 'stralia we get double time and a half on public holidays, feels good men.
>>
>>25930151
It's a great education to have, since it pretty much guarantees you'll never go hungry. Being a bedside nurse at a hospital fucking sucks, but hey, nobody's making you do that.
Go for it if you're into that kinda stuff.
t. former Nursing student
>>
File: kmbnurses.png (948KB, 1246x695px) Image search: [Google]
kmbnurses.png
948KB, 1246x695px
RN here, depends what school you go for nursing. Private schools are pretty much pay 2 win, so enjoy your BSN and nice grades, but the NCLEX can be more difficult if you didn't get taught correctly/didn't study well enough. Also depends on what area you want to work in. As a murse (lel), I'm in critical care, and wouldn't mind doing ED, but would hate working at a SNF. I actually enjoy the hours, because I got nothing else to do, I have no kids, and still live with my parents, which beats paying for rent in a small apartment. If you're serious about nursing and healthcare, you'll be fine. If not, you probably won't make it through, or you'll end up working at a job you hate

>>25930456
nice, Riverside nurse here, stay up m8
>>
>>25930492
I used to get time and a half but now I work outpatient so I just get paid time off
>>
Home health nurse here.
Literally the easiest job compared to working at a hospital or SNF. I only have one patient and he's a pretty stable kid.The only downside is it's overnight hours ( to document his bipap #'s ) and I'm in school. Other than that, it's simple taking care of a kid.
Nursing is an ever-changing career with many kinds of options available if working the floor isn't your thing. There's a business side and also case managing side, education, etc.
>>
>>25930860
Yeah I would hate the hospital. I am happy outside and am building my career outside.
>>
>>25930244
>rise above that

Uhh, no. You can gain more qualifications and perform more advanced procedures but you are never 'above' having to wipe someones ass or change a catheter
>>
>>25931202
Spoken like a true idiot, what is a CNA? This is the typical moron response from someone who doesnt know shit about nursing. You will have to do it in your first rotations, as a right of passage mostly. After that its not common place unless you do some sort of crit care that involves moving a patient who must be moved delicately.

And of course we arent above changing a cath, its a sterile procedure and has to be done by an RN, PA or MD (depending on how patent the ureter is)
>>
>>25930456

>>25931295

here, i forgot:

In NY you can start out at $40 hourly in most places out of school... I posted on /b/ the other day about the ER here which had 125 beds in 5 hallways because we were so over crowded.
>>
>>25930554
You absolutely have to be Filipino
>>
>>25930554
The nclex is a sat tier joke they convince you in school that it's an end all be all certified of competency when it's completely out of date or touch with the circulum of most nursing programs , Al it shows is you can test well
>>
File: smug rodge.png (468KB, 504x516px) Image search: [Google]
smug rodge.png
468KB, 504x516px
>>25930456
>50k
>only 60k in southern ca
>there are niggas making 70k at the shipyard playing with a crane
>>
>>25931444
It's a meme career which at this point is terribly oversaturated , best part is the nurses themselves are their own worst enemy accepting shitty conditions and ridiculous standards of entry to decent careers(as-bsn, the bachelors shit really is unnecessary) all because THEYRE SUCH HEROS SAVING SO MANY LIVES
>>
>>25931351
Where are these 40/hr starting positions in ny you're completely full of shit
>>
>>25930151
OP - research the jobs market carefully in your country/state/whatever.

Over here in Australia we've been having this cyclical thing of over and undersupply - tons of people enroll when they hear it's understaffed, but by the time they graduate it's over supplied so don't get caught in that.
>>
>>25931583

sorry your community college associates or community college bsn isnt working out for you

meanwhile those of us with real degrees:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/North-Shore-LIJ-Health-System-Registered-Nurse-New-York-City-Salaries-EJI_IE7188.0,29_KO30,46_IL.47,60_IM615.htm
>>
>>25931738
>paying 25,000 a semester
> literally the same curiculum for thesame licensing test
>nclex is a total joke made to make Pearson money which any asshole can pass given the right prep
> being this huge of a good goy
> knowing tayshawna from kay by the bay is at the same pay scale as you
> implying nepotism isn't how 95 % get jobs in this ridiculously oversaturated field

The sooner you learn the field is a total joke and you've been reduced to a understaffed overworked pill pusher the happier you'll be
>>
>>25931536

>bachelors is unnecessary

ok stay forever not moving forward then

and define oversaturated when most major metropolitan areas are operating with dangerous nurse to patient ratios

>>25931894

Wanna know how I can tell you have no clue what you're talking about?

Every field has entry tests that are bullshit, and every field has nepotism. Make good contacts and stop being bitter your autistic social skills didnt make you have the ability to reach out to people who can help you move forward.
>>
>>25931444
I make $60k because I work in a clinic. Its the lower end of the pay scale.
>>25931583
The UC system pays $40/hr straight out of school, even outpatient
>>
File: 1453398931122.jpg (70KB, 482x556px) Image search: [Google]
1453398931122.jpg
70KB, 482x556px
What about Pharmacy?
>>
Is it as hard to get a job as I hear
>>
>>25931984
Anyone who has done the asn to bsn can tel you it's a complete and irrelevant waste of time and money but is now mandated by every hospital and medical institution in the nyc general area in order to work anywhere but a nursing home
>>
Any thoughts on CRNA school, anyone? I literally just started nursing school this month and CRNA is the direction I'm going in.

Also, is nursing school supposed to be a fucking joke? Everything we've done and everything we plan to do this entire semester is painfully simple, but apparently I'm the only one in my program that thinks this.
>>
Hospitals are exactly like highschool. Gossip and petty issues everywhere from charts to replenishment.

Work third shift. Find someone who finds scrubs hot because they're all you're ever gonna wear. USE FABRIC SOFTENER.
>>
>>25931984
dangerous ratios are because it's oversaturated you fucking moron , hospitals will cut corners any way they can to save money they do this by understaffing whether it be cnas or nurses.working understaffed is the dumbest thing you as a nurse can do considering its your livelihood on the line if you fuck up and if you refuse or do fuck up there's 30 different people hospital he has on standby resume in hand ready to interview so they can rinse wash and repeat. You through your own inflated egos and poor unions are your own worst enemies and make hospitals and nursing homes a fortune
>>
along with the guy saying medical is oversaturated because of this big boom, it being a "hot job" and all, I really think all of medical is going to come crashing down when inevitably the obesity epidemic is solved, when all of the baby boom dies off, and especially when universal healthcare is instated
>>
>>25932372
>>25932500
I don't do nursing(I do economics with finance).

If you don't mind me asking, what's your degree in?
>>
File: 1447365252658.jpg (452KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1447365252658.jpg
452KB, 720x1280px
If you're the only male nurse at your work, expect to be expected to do all the hard work and heavy lifting. While the women are gossiping at the desk, you'll be getting shit done just to stay away from their catty bullshit.
>>
>>25933301
that's literally my job, and I don't even work at a hospital. Every place where woman work is like that.
>>
i know of the catty gossip and drama but i also hear male nurses get a lot of fuck. is that true?
>>
>>25933241
what, is that your counter-argument?
>>
>>25933340
I don't know but you never want to fuck coworkers if that's what you hear. Just get anything that pays well and sounds like you're better than you probably are- car salesman maybe.
>>
>>25933340
i am also interested in knowing this information
>>
>>25933301
And therfore will move up faster in the ranks, and be generally hated by every women screaming patriarchy for it
>>
>>25933358
It isn't. Are you gonna tell me what your degree is in or what?
>>
I think my alcoholic sister might have purposely dropped a 90 year old woman today and put her in the hospital.
Shes been talking about how much she hates caring for her for months and would always joke about her having "an accident"
>>
File: 1409335298751.png (179KB, 366x392px) Image search: [Google]
1409335298751.png
179KB, 366x392px
>>25933426
>And therfore will move up faster in the ranks

>he thinks hard workers get ahead in life
>he truly believes this
>>
File: 1452993038171.jpg (457KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1452993038171.jpg
457KB, 1600x1600px
>>25930151
well you can just get in anyone's uber without consequences if you're a woman.
>>
>>25930456
>outside California at least $40k
I work in NYC and make $80k/yr

>>25931536
>at this point is terribly oversaturated
No it isn't. You do realize there is a demand for nurses, right? Actual qualified ones, no LPNs. If you pull decent enough grades and pass NCLEX you're pretty much guaranteed a job.
>>
My mom was a nurse, she's an executive now so she's just the nurses boss basically.

You'll be treated like shit by the hospital you work in.
>>
>>25932170
Hope you plan on going to grad school.
>>
>>25933340
>>25933378
Nope, I've been a nurse for two years and have seen squat. I get hit on my the gay nurses a lot, if you're into buttsex.
>>
>>25934837
>No it isn't. You do realize there is a demand for nurses, right? Actual qualified ones

That's the thing. in any metro area the market is saturated with new, inexperienced nursing school grads. If you only have a 2 year degree then you'd better know somebody because every hospital wants to go for Magnet status (US) and many of them will only hire bachelors' trained nurses.

That being said, even 2 year RNs are in demand so long as they have at least 2 years and preferably 4+ years work experience.
>>
>>25933340

A chad will be a chad anywhere, but at least in a hospital setting being a nurse is nothing special. The chicks are looking for doctors- it's a reason so many women enter the profession. Hypergamy like a motherfucker
>>
>>25934918
Well I graduated with a bachelors, so i had no difficulty finding a job. Most places won't hire with an associates anymore, although a few people get lucky and find a job. That being said, people with two year degrees can't go everything RNs can (like give medication, IVs, etc.) and are expected to go back to school so they can get said experience.
>>
File: 1452363714737.jpg (86KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1452363714737.jpg
86KB, 700x700px
>>25930151
>she's not sitting on my face
why live?
>>
>>25934957

In the US yes they can. There is no difference in what a 2 year RN can do versus a 4 yr RN. You're thinking about the difference between a RN and a LVN/LPN.
>>
>>25931536
>terribly oversaturated

where i live literally everywhere is trying to hire nurses
>>
OP , do you have source of pic
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.