[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's say we could be able to turn off a brain and then

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: brain1.jpg (101KB, 660x528px) Image search: [Google]
brain1.jpg
101KB, 660x528px
Let's say we could be able to turn off a brain and then turn it on. If that was possible, what would happen to your consciousness? Would you lose all your memories and be "reborn" as a blank you? How does it work?
>>
I'm not sure why you would lose all of your memories
I don't know if it would still be "you" but whoever that brain is would remember everything you remember unless your brain had the chance to decompose, I bet
>>
>>25921476
Assuming that it doesn't change anything in the brain structure, you won't even notice that your brain was turned off and get back to consciousness as it is back on, basically like a time leap. If that's not the case then ur dead, sorry senpai
>>
You have biological parts designed for storing memory, they stay there as long as the material isn't fucked with and it gets fucked with the longer it's not getting nourishment. If it's an instant off-on then nothing will happen.
>>
>>25921533
>>25921512
So memories and consciousness are physical? I don't get it. I thought the brain was like RAM.
>>
>>25921476
depends on what 'turning of your brain' means
>>
>>25921570
You're an organic computer in an articulated robot.
>>
>>25921621
Okay, so memory is physically allocated in your brain. But what about consciousness? Is memory everything? I believe there are certain things that we do, feel or whatever that are not related to our memories.

I remember watching a documentary about a guy who was struck by a lightning and when he woke up he was literally a different person, complete different personality and all.
>>
>>25921570
Consciousness is separate from memory.

What you're asking is a question that quantum mechanics is trying to answer.

Materialism has been know to be the incorrect view of reality for a while.

I believe that solipsism was recently invalidated, as well.
>>
>>25921570
Of course you baka, all the information is stored in the neurons, but you got a point with the RAM thing. Once your brain is oxygen deprived your neural structures start falling apart, and after that your brain becomes a worthless pulp of meat. You can't get information back from a dead brain, so yeah, kind of like with RAM and a pc turning off.
>>
>>25921706
No they aren't. Whether consciousness continues after you die is another question entirely.

see
>>25921666
>>
>>25921682
>I believe that solipsism was recently invalidated, as well.

link?
>>
>>25921570
Consciousness seems to be physically mediated, right? But I don't know if it is physical. Memory is totally a physical phenomenon though.

I'm assuming that when you "turn on" your brain again you'd have the same electrical patterns or whatever in place that were there before you turned it off, because otherwise you can't really turn it back on right?
>>
>>25921735
this
interdasted
solipsism being a lie is spooky
>>
>>25921778
The source I had said it was disproved in 2011, I'm trying to find where that came from.
>>
>>25921731
But you're getting pseudoscientifical here, senpai. Look, I'm not the fedora kind of atheist, but I just can't get how it can seem logical that our counsciousness isn't only a conseguence of our brain's work. Considering how much shit we kill without a second thought to survive and our current scientific knowledge, it just seems like some people believe that we are as humans special snowflakes and somehow don't deserve the same destiny as every other life form on the planet.
>>
>>25921859
We are technically special snowflakes. That's self consciousness for you. I'm sorry that you are a gay greenpeace dog furry lover, but we are the superior race.
>>
>>25921859
Quantum mechanics isn't psuedoscience.

It has verfiable and reproducable experimentation involved with it.

>>25921801
I'm still digging for the disproving of solipsism.
>>
>>25921924
Fug I lost the source.

You can discount what I said about solipsism if you want. There was some inequality or something that addressed it.
>>
>>25921923
We're exactly like other animals, though.

It's not like there's this "break" between us, fish, kangaroos, plankton, etc.

Yeah, we're different genetically and shit. Yeah the biggest difference is that we're smart as FUCK compared to them (see music, skyscrapers, dildos, computers, etc).

But we're just smart monkeys. We only think we're special because of thinking. We think "thinking" is this amazing thing that makes us transcend the physical world and we can connect with this humanoid god who rules the cosmos and made us humans special and the other animals are our subjects in a way...

Nope, that's fucking retarded. You aren't better than a microbe and the only reason you think you're something "more", something "spiritual" is because you have this big noggin that comes up with all sorts of wacky shit (see abstract algebra, the bootstrap paradox, elevators, space stations, etc).
>>
>>25921476
It's called being knocked out. You lose your "RAM" aka your short term recollection of what was going on, but you keep your long term "hard drive" memories (unless you get knocked out so hard that your brain gets squished and you're permafucked). Your memories are a combination of electrical impulses and the nerve connections that conduct them. If you lose the impulses, the connections don't disappear.
>>
>>25922855
I am not sure if experiments such as the double slit erasure experiment have been tested with animals, but if they have, and the results were different then when a human observer was part of the system, then humans are much better than "microbes."

We would be the only real things that we know of.
>>
>>25921476
try smoking massive amounts of DMT and tell us the result
>>
>>25923050
>he thinks "observation" in quantum mechanics means "looking at"
Top kek, nice meme-tier scientific knowledge.
>>
>>25923096
Simplistic explanations are best, no?
>>
>>25923050
How can we be real if our eyes aren't real?
>>
>>25923117
Not when your argument hinges on them.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.