[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Starting university math >Opted out of Math in highschool

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: 1432985543529.gif (5KB, 569x510px) Image search: [Google]
1432985543529.gif
5KB, 569x510px
>Starting university math
>Opted out of Math in highschool
>Havn't done algebra in over 7 years
How fucked am I
>>
10 out of 10 unless your good in math
>>
If your university is anything like mine: completely.

The earliest, entry level math started at calculus. If you can't even do algebra your fucked beyond belief mate. Here you had to do a specific course to avoid taking calculus right away, and it was still a requirement for every STEM field.
>>
Anon you are fucked, core concepts of mathematics takes time to understand(practically, which university does alot)
You should try learning and solving few theory problems. But if you find those hard, you can't do shit with problems requiring practical knowledge of maths.
>>
>>25886996
Fuck. Why is math compulsory for Computer Science, fucking whyyyyy
>>
>>25886957
I was the same as you. I've since aced every single college math class that I've had.
>>
professors are assholes bro
if you dont know the shit leading up to the course best believe they arent bout to help you with it
>>
>>25887018
How? Tell me your secrets
>>
>>25887037
Idk? Math is easy as fuck for me...
>>
Do your homework and repeat the problems before an exam.

This is how you do well in math classes like algebra and calculus.

The worst thing you can do is panic and try to learn more than what is taught in your course. Just learn to solve the problems you are given and whatever practice problems are given for the test. You will not need more than that to do reasonably well.
>>
>>25886957
I did the same thing in 2013

> start over with Algebra!!!!!

It worked for me, I am now taking linear algebra and differential equations
>>
>>25887103
Yeah I've got to start from scratch. I have about a month before the class starts, that enough time to get up to Calculus?
>>
File: giphy.gif (1MB, 400x222px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
1MB, 400x222px
>>25887015
Because your professors suffered through it u must too

> no but seriously computer science came from Fortran, which is all about math. So what do you redirect expect?
>>
Holy shit op. I've never heard of someone just yanking the root and salting the earth like that. You shudn't dun dat, you 'ere jus' a boy.
>>
>>25887199
I was a kid and math was fucking boring, what can I say
>>
>>25887138
Hmmm....do you remember any Trigonometry?

Brush up on it. You'll need it in Calc 1

> find a precalc book online and see if it helps

This guy is great for algebra, trig, and Calc 1& 2. Completely free!

>I used him a lot

https://m.youtube.com/user/profrobbob
>>
File: DSCN4223.jpg (184KB, 1224x918px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN4223.jpg
184KB, 1224x918px
I'm with you OP
I have to do one or two more classes before I can transfer.
And they're both Algebra. I'm so shit at Algebra, I'm positive the only reason why I'm in the intermediate class is because the last professor I had fucked up grading and gave me a C instead of the D I should've had.

>>25887214
Thanks, I don't think I'm going to be able to get into this Math Course I'm trying to crash so maybe I should take the time to find a job and start brushing up on my algebra skills so I can be less of a fuck up.

All I want to do was teach middle schoolers and shit. Now I just want to die
>>
>>25887234
>I should take the time to find a job and start brushing up on my algebra skills so I can be less of a fuck up

Can u take Algebra course at the school u are going to?

I'd suggest you take basic general education courses you will have to take in any case and go to Junior College for Algebra this semester

> don't give up on college yet!
>>
>>25887406
I've completed all my necessary courses and other stuff with flying colors except for math.
For whatever reason my mind just doesn't want to get it.
But like I said, I feel like if I took some time to try it out on my own and stuff, I'd be able to throw myself into it and finally unravel the mystery of math.
I feel like if I actually got math, I'd feel a lot less scared of it and would actually find myself in love with it.
>>
>>25887505
>I feel like if I actually got math, I'd feel a lot less scared of it and would actually find myself in love with it.

This is true.

> final suggestion. Take the math course u wanted and see how it goes. Drop it or withdraw if it's not going good.
>>
File: 03.jpg (241KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
03.jpg
241KB, 600x600px
>>25887573
Anon you're so sweet to be so supportive but.
This is the fourth time I'm going to retake this course. I can't afford to fuck up anymore
But worse comes to worse I'm sure I can take it at another facility, but that's worst-case scenario. For now I'll just focus on taking little steps at first. Thank you for your kind words though
>>
http://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-18-001-calculus-online-textbook-spring-2005/textbook
>>
>>25887603
That link is for a free textbook from the open course on Calculus from MIT
>>
>>25887603

Link for the open course videos on Youtube for calculus

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01-single-variable-calculus-fall-2006/

> however,I have watched many of these videos. they are quite advanced so possibly not the best place to start

Go with the professor rob bob youtube channel for mute basic approach
>>
File: 44.png (172KB, 358x505px) Image search: [Google]
44.png
172KB, 358x505px
>>25887708
>>25887724
>>25887770
Thanks for linking me to Rob Bob. I hope you have a nice night anon, again, thank you for being so nice.
I hope you have a good day tomorrow.
>>
KHAN
ACADEMY
NIGGA
>>
Starting university math is what got me switching to pure math after hating math in high school. You might be either fine or fucked depending on how you approach the subject.
Many fellow math hating friends went through the same route and ended up failing a lot and hating math even more, I somehow liked it.
I, like them, had to take a pre-course for algebra and shit since we were so abysmal with basic algebra and trigonometry.
>>
>>25887846
Good luck!

>for the algorithm
>>
>>25887015

I failed math in school and never got past grade 9, and I managed to pass "computational maths". Which apparently was vector/matrix theory, the basics of calculus, and the basics of statistics, all in the same semester.

It's doable. But it requires a lot of study.
I honestly thought I was going to fail, but I made it without having to get a tutor, talking to the professor or interacting with anyone.
Don't underestimate what you can do, especially what you can do when put under pressure.
>>
>>25888028
Is calculus doable if you go into it without solid algebra skills? Or do you need the foundation to understand it.
>>
>>25888104

I don't think it has to be solid.

You only really need to know what a mathematical function is, or what polynomials are and that's about it.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.