[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>take Philosophy class this semester >first reading is

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: 1403488672634.jpg (24KB, 189x165px) Image search: [Google]
1403488672634.jpg
24KB, 189x165px
>take Philosophy class this semester
>first reading is darwin
>class discussion is about aborting children with genetic disorders

>entire class is all "Oh noooo that kid may become president some day we need to end hate against Down Syndrome" etc etc

Why are people so stupid /r9k/?
>>
That makes me feel good. I always figured the fucking retard pleb masses would be inclined to systemically designer-modify their babbies one abortion or genetic snip at a time until we'd pseudo-evolved ourselves into a cul-de-sac.

I'm glad people's sentimentality possibly tends in the other direction. Last thing I want is autistic faggots and bourgeois plebs with yuppie hipster sensibilities from the early 21st century deciding for posterity what heritable traits and phenotypes are "good."
>>
desu my mom probably would have been happier with someone with down syndrome than me
>>
>>25851670
I'm pretty communistic too though. I like the idea of aborting babies if you know they have a genetic disorder because if you allow them to be born their life will be nothing but suffering whether or not people are accepting of them. I don't like eugenics but this is an issue of suffering.
>>
>tfw your parents didn't abort you
Just kill me my dude
>>
>>25851618
Liberals seek moral superiority above all other things, and given that you're in college, I think I can safely assume that those are the people you were dealing with.

I'm sure they would think twice if it was THEIR child who had down's. That, or they'd be one of those delusional parents who calls their ugly, retarded child beautiful and smart.
>>
>>25851618
Use the angle of how the future-children with genetic disorders are going to suffer their entire life
:)
>>
>>25852115
suffering is worse than nonexistence?
>>
>>25851618
>class discussion is about aborting children with genetic disorders
Why would they make you read Darwin instead of Peter Singer? If Darwin was ever a philosopher (which I doubt), his ethics would not be normative.
>>
>>25852144
Well seeing as if you don't exist you're going to feel completely neutral about it, id say suffering is worse
>>
>>25852115
Most tards I see don't seem particularly unhappy. It's the society that suffers for needing to take care of them.

Unless you are referring to a specific disorder that causes suffering?
>>
>>25852270
Not *all* genetic disorder people are tards though
>>
>>25852144
Yes it is, how is that hard to see? If you don't exist, there is no pain. Logically, it would be better if we were all dead, but our brains prevent us from killing ourselves.
>>
> Darwin
> philosophy

disdain_for_plebs.jpg
>>
>>25851618
>take Philosophy class this semester
>first reading is darwin

You are either lying or you should drop this classs immediately.

Darwin isn't even a philosopher. I have literally never heard of introductory philosophy classes starting with Darwin.
>>
>>25852146
> If Darwin was ever a philosopher (which I doubt), his ethics would not be normative

>his ethics would not be normative

>his opinion on normativity would not be normative.
>>
>>25852815
Its a 3600 level class

but its my first philosophy class
>>
>>25853403
bring this post back to the first page
>>
>>25851670
When they detect it in the pregnancy, most of them do abort. What they say and what they do are very different things.
>>
Philosophy is unapplied science
>>
>>25852815
A natural philosopher is a philosopher. It's a branch of philosophy. Using Darwin as a starting ground is pretty pleb though.
>>
>>25851618
Because we're raised to be stupid, don't hate them just distance yourself from them
>>
>>25854917
And please tell us how science tells us in this case, whether or not to abort a baby (not something I'm interested in answering but the answer is definitely not scientific). There is no way to answer that question without philosophy. Science is one system of of knowledge, giving us insight into the physical world, but has little to no input on what it means to be human. Science is only good when it isolates phenomenon from their surroundings. As soon as cultural questions, ethical questions, spiritual questions, etc are introduced it becomes almost useless. It is science that fails to apply or recognize philosophy, because 20th century philosophy was mostly sociological to combat fascism and authoritarianism, and not metaphysical, scientists decided to attempt to answer metaphysical questions, to the point where foolish people look to Dawkins and Bill Nye the science guy for how to live life. One can easily see how cancerous the hijacking of science and universities by corporations and capitalism has become.
>>
>>25855148
Dawkins and Bill Nye are 100% correct though, especially about religion
>>
>>25855208
I'd say hello reddit but I know you are just a robot pretending to be reddit
2/10 would not bite
>>
>>25855263
I'm serious.

All religions are dangerous to the world
>>
>>25852837
>implying ethics is based on "opinion"
Fag.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.