[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who /vagabond/ here? Planning on taking out what little savings

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: 1414717781132.jpg (1MB, 2500x1685px) Image search: [Google]
1414717781132.jpg
1MB, 2500x1685px
Who /vagabond/ here?

Planning on taking out what little savings I have from my NEETbucks and just going. Buying a backpack, boots and a tent then
just going to walk until I die or find something
cool.

>captcha: select all images with mountains
>>
>>25848819
where do you live? walking all the way across the country to the warm West Coast seems pretty cool.
>>
File: 1424482427450.jpg (527KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1424482427450.jpg
527KB, 1680x1050px
>>25849686
Ireland, I'd need to use some of the money to get a boat to a large continent first though. I've seen stories on /out/ about people walking across the Americas, interesting stuff.
>>
>>25849847
>boat to a large continent
You just went full retard. Get a fucking Ryainair flight for 30 euros.
>>
>>25848819

I have this radical idea (despite being lazy as fuck myself).
How about getting a job? Because eating from the trash can shurelly sucks regardless of freedom.
>>
>>25849866
Yeah, or I could actually enjoy the trip there instead. It's not like I don't have time to burn.
>>
>>25849989
>he thinks he will enjoy a boat trip accross the atlantic
confirmed retard
>>
>>25850108
I know I will, because I have before.
>>
File: Untitled.png (46KB, 999x548px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
46KB, 999x548px
I hitchhiked around the United States for a couple years, and have done some long term camping during and outside of that trip. I can give you some tips.

Get a sub zero sleeping bag, a couple sets of clothing, two 1-liter water bottles and some bibs(overalls or a jumpsuit, to keep you clean cuz you're gonna be dirty). Invest in a nice pack and don't overpack. An LED headlamp is a really good investment. Bring a lightweight water purifier if you're going into the woods, save you a loooot of time and energy from boiling water. Don't go into the woods unless you are following a stable fishing source, or you know what you're doing with hunting/trapping, or you will be hungry. Stay away from the northern states in winter.

Learn to hitchhike, extremely important. It's not hard, just make small-talk and be polite, you're entering someone's "home". It's not that dangerous. Cops will bug you but it's extremely rare to get arrested. They'll more likely just move you or tell you to fuck off. Just be polite and do what they tell you to do. Learn to busk(play an instrument for money in the street), and make money in cities that way. On the road, you're gonna have to fly a sign sometimes on an offramp. Get over it, it's literally free money and people are happy to help out, just don't make a bitchy moany sign. "On the Road, Anything Helps" is a perfect sign, especially if you're young and have a guitar or something, it makes you look like an adventerous spirit.

Stay away from the entire area that is Boston down to Richmond Virginia, especially New Jersey and Pennsylvania. It's extremely, EXTREMELY unfriendly to the lifestyle and a little bit dangerous. The South, the rockies, the inland southeast, the midwest and the pacific northwest are the friendliest, easiest places to get around.

continued next post
>>
>>25848819
i though about doing this too. only thing im not sure about is how would i survive. i'm from central Europe and theres really no reason to go outside of my country, refugees at every neighbouring country, if i go south i go to africa, if i go east, ill get to russia which is not big win either. what do i not know is how are Americans helpfull to random hobo passing city, thats probably only reason i havent departed yet
>>
>>25850404
cont'd

North Dakota and Kansas I hear are "dead zones", where it's really hard to get out of if you get in, people don't pick up a lot of hitchhikers around those spots. I'm sure Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Arkansas and SD are similar but I've only ever gone straight through those places. Avoid them if you can, you might get unpleasantly stuck in the middle of fucking nowhere. I hear Kansas is good money though, between busking/flying a sign. Usually stories I hear from Kansas involve being stuck for weeks but coming out with 1-2 grand.

Learn about Rainbow Gatherings and go to them, it's great to take a break and feel like you're "home" with a bunch of people who'll treat you like family in the woods for awhile. It's hippie bullshit but it's really comfortable and relaxing when you're traveling all the time. Working on a Rainbow kitchen bus is a great way to get around the country, I went from NC to Michigan to SoCal in one and had an, interesting, time. You can find information on gatherings by asking various dirty kids, who will more than likely socialize with you. There are a few "hubs" around the country where dirty kids meet up, outside of rainbow gatherings, and it's nice to travel with a buddy sometimes, though unless I'm traveling with a girl we usually go in separate vehicles for easier hitchhiking. Slab City in SoCal is such a hub, especially around christmas, and so is Asheville North Carolina, especially in the summertime. New Orleans attracts a lot of them around autumn as well, but I hear it's been a little unfriendly there recently. It's good to meet people with experience, share stories, chill, be able to rely on someone, get info on gatherings etc etc.

Hitchhiking around the country was the best thing I ever did with my life and I strongly recommend it. Gave me a wide set of skills and perspectives and I know what I'm doing with my life now, great thing to do when you're young and it's literally as easy as walking away.
>>
>>25850604
>>25850404
Thank you for your comprehensive reply, I take it the places coloured in red are where you have visited?

It seems to me, from what you're saying that using common sense and being generally polite to people, will get you a long way. I'm not very familiar with America so I would pehaps need to do some more research on the 'good' and 'bad' areas if I ever end up wandering about there.
>>
File: 1348825032994.jpg (521KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1348825032994.jpg
521KB, 1280x1024px
>>25848819

>tfw I'm literally doing this

I'm in the southern US and plan on heading towards Wyoming and Montana. I don't, however, intend on just being a homeless piece of shit. I have a car and equipment, and if I'll ask around the local places to see if there are job opportunities for a man like myself.

I think the best thing about it is that I don't care where I end up, that's at the point where I am at, even if I just die somewhere along the way
>>
>>25850699
Yeah I've been all over the States except for North Dakota and Kansas, and I don't really plan on ever going to those places anyway, there just isn't really a reason to.

Pretty much just stay away from the Northeast and you'll be completely fine. The Northeast just has a bad mix of shitty cops, passive people who don't give a fuck about strangers, people who don't trust strangers enough to pick you up and people who will try to rob you. The rest of the country is more or less okay.

Places you should definitely visit are Asheville North Carolina(summer is best), the western beaches of Michigan, Lolo Hot Springs Montana during a festival(show up early and help set up to get in for free, also PRIME wilderness in the area if you want to camp), Slab City California(around christmas for the black sheep gathering is best), Snoqualmie mountains Washington(look up a public crystal mine and go to it in the summer), maaaybe Terra Lingua Texas if you have a reliable ride there and back, and get some desert experiences in Arizona or SoCal. And fucking Hawaii of course(go at the end for relaxation time). Denali in the summertime if you can make your way up to Alaska.

Make sure you have your papers in order because you're going to have your ID requested, otherwise get on a Rainbow bus or settle down somewhere, where you're less likely to be asked for ID. Don't want to get deported.

Traveled with a liverpool guy and a messican that were illegals when I was on the bus, they didn't have any troubles.
>>
>>25850953
>Kansas
Isn't that prime tornado chasing ground? I've always wanted to experience a large American tornado like on those extreme weather programs. The only thing we get here in the UK is pissing rain, floods and moderately strong gusts of wind.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.