[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know this is /R9K/, but does anyone play instruments here,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

File: 1445486493826.gif (2MB, 208x280px) Image search: [Google]
1445486493826.gif
2MB, 208x280px
I know this is /R9K/, but does anyone play instruments here, or know anyone who does? I've been thinking of picking one up to generally enhance my life. I dont want to just fester with bitterness, i want to enjoy life having 'some' talent.

To anyone who picked up music later in life, how has it improved your life?
>>
>>25804249
I play the banjo, piano, viola, guitar, trumpet, saxophone, with the stringed things being played well and the brass being shitty as all hell but fun.

I have been playing piano and guitar since I was young, recently picked up the banjo and rarely ever play the trumpet and sax because they are my brother's. How has it improved it? Not at all, because even though I play all these I am too afraid to show anyone show really only I know it and when I even play for close friends I get fidgety and mess up.

Might be different for you anon, I don't know.
>>
>>25804249
I'm a classical trained vocalist. I went to school and everything for it!

Other than that I'm passable at bass, drums, and piano. And I can make noise on several other instruments but I'd never tell people I can actually play them.
>>
>>25804249
I used to (barely) play my brother's guitar while i was in middle school and up into early highschool.
i'm about to graduate college rn, just bought my first guitar, and in the couple of weeks since i've had it, i've reconnected with old friends who've always played music, as well as friends who have never played music, and i've been jamming/ making music since i got the guitar and a bit before then (using music producing programs like LMMS)

tldr; 9/10 improvement tbqh
>>
>>25804411
Dag, man. I hope you find the right paradigm where you're able to plat flawlessly in front of people. Why not busk?! Who gives a fuck about what they think anyways! See how much you can make after you get bored of playing your favorite instrument
>>25804368
Ive actually been looking into casually practicing vocals too. If you get "good enough" with an instrument, singing with it, even to yourself must feel good. It feels good singing to myself, but i can only imagine when vocally and instrumentally fair
>>25804322
9/10 improvement? In confidence, school and with girls?
Wow, thank you guys so much on the constructive responses!

no feels or >tfw's so far
>>
>>25804610
>why not busk
I'm not really good enough to busk. like today i was at my friend's house jamming, and i was just playing rhythm guitar and my friend was dude sick solos and stuff
but it was fun as fuck nonetheless because we were jamming to a song we both really loved and we were singing and stuff, it was actually a really great time
>>
>>25804610
I am assuming the busk thing was meant for >>25804322
which is me, and you had the replies mixed up and let me say that I wish I could. I just have a problem with people not liking it, because it is one of the things I think I am good at but I am afraid so I mess it up. I don't want people to see it unless it is perfect (and I've been trying to make it perfect for at least 4 years now) and have even tried posting vocaroos on here before to no avail.
>>
i play guitar

don't play guitar. too many people play guitar. learn piano, bass, violin, sax, trumpet.... fucking anything other than guitar and drums. the good thing with piano is it covers a lot of the basic theory you need which will make it easier to transition to other instruments without being clueless
>>
I'd like to learn how to play an instrument. I was thinking something obscure and dumb like the Accordion.

I'm a quick learner and get the gist of something relatively quickly (pretty much video games, if that's worth anyhting). I just don't want to invest a lot of money that I might not be able to learn. I can't read music and don't have anywhere to practice that won't disturb other people.

I'm also 28 and that feels like way too late to start learning an instrument.
>>
I play bagpipes and trombone, just started on the pipes and pretty fucking shitty but been playing trombone for about 5 years. Tried guitar and some string instruments but fuckin awful with them.
>>
>>25804249
If you aren't going to learn intensive musical theory and just want to dick around I would suggest getting a lower end yamaha guitar/ keyboard and watching some youtube tutorials. You can learn a few cordes and play a bunch of pop songs. The only downside is you plateau fucking fast without proper theory/ lessons and get frustrated when the magic of being able to 'play' the instrument wears off. Btw get a keyboard becauses its the perfect neet instrument. Stick in your headphones and play it at 3 in the morning without anyone knowing.
>>
I picked up guitar when I was 17, I'm 22 now.

Sometimes it's fun just to play and improvise some shit

Sometimes it's fun to jam to normie songs. If you want to learn, I've got some things to Google search for you to get you started

>how to read guitar tablature
(Which is really easy by the way)
>the caterpillar guitar
>guitar blues scales
>power chords
That should be enough to get you started to at least teach you how to play your favorite normie rock songs. Typically, the more famous the band is, the easier their music is to play. Metallica, nirvana, ac/dc, megadeth, and Judas priest songs are potato easy to learn and play

Your best bet is get a feel for what kind of music you like and just have fun m8. You can find cheap ass acoustic guitars for like 50 bucks roughly, any music store will teach you how to maintain your investment, like how to tune and how to change strings and stuff.

You'd also be surprised to see how similar guitar and piano are musically
>>
I play this $300 casio keyboard I bought a few years ago. I don't know how to read sheet music or chords, so I mainly just try to teach myself two hand independence.
>>
>>25804767
reading music isn't difficult. i learned how to do it in 4th grade. if a 4th grader can do it, you can. you don't just jump into reading the most complicated sheet music available, you start with simple pieces.

the accordion is a pretty complicated instrument, it's kind of like a half assed piano. i like the novelty of accordions, but people won't want to come see you play or anything, no one really takes it seriously. but if that's what you want to play, do it for yourself.
>>
>>25804644
As long as its great fun. I wish my friends would be down to for a jam, instead of getting high and not doing much

>>25804723
Yeah, that was for you. Perfectionism is a sound goal, but i bet you'd really grow exponentially in music, and out of it, getting out of your comfort zone. I encourage you anon
>>
>>25804822
> THATS JUST THE WAY IT IS
> SOME THINGS THEY NEVER CHAANGE
>>
It is hard and takes a fuck ton of dedication, consistent practice, and working at it even when you don't feel like it to get good.

It will take a lot of time and effort no matter what instrument you pick, and some are also physically painful to boot.

I just want you to know what you are getting into before hand so you can prepare yourself.
If you are willing to put the work in then it is certainly worth it. But you can't be lazy.
>>
>>25804761
i was actually thinking between a guitar and violin actually. Violin it is!
>>
>>25804898

>...but don't you believe them
>[insert 45 second improvised piano solo on top 40 radio song]
>>
>>25804916
violin is a beautiful instrument, just be aware that you're probably not going to get many people in bands looking for a violinist. it's not very versatile in that regard.

but with that said, if i could go back in time and learn an instrument i'd pick violin. it's just such a sweet sounding instrument
>>
>>25804858

True, I could probably do it if a 4th grader can. I just don't have a classroom structure like they do. The entire internet is a distracting thing (excuses)

I pretty much want to do it for the novelty factor. Guitars are just eh, everyone learns them. I wanted something different.

Don't care about people coming to see me play. Half of the novelty is starting a folk punk band with one of my friends who's learning the fiddle.
>>
>>25805050
with an instrument like an accordion i'd look for some type of teacher

music instructors are usually not very expensive unless they are extremely legit pros, usually theyr'e like $30-40 an hour
>>
>>25804818
Nice, i screencapped it for future use. Thank you sir
>>
>>25805113
if you want to learn guitar just google justin guitar

he pretty much covers all the major stuff a guitarist needs to know up until the intermediate level. he's a good teacher from what i've watched.
>>
>>25804913
I feel empty, but when singing in the shower, i do feel alive. Im confident my motivation to feel that feel even stronger will keep me going. Especially if i record myself weekly, i hope to make a habit of it. Either that, or ill proly just kill myself
>>
>>25805045
Its okay, i only want to play for my own pleasure. Hell, if i succeed getting out of NEET-dom, id use my skills to seranade an awkward girl. One can dream
>>
I play bassoon and saxophone pretty well, but I'm best at the bassoon. Really a beautiful instrument if you learn how to play it well. I'm also mediocre at the piano because being a musician requires it.
>>
>>25805256
bitches don't care about how good you are at an instrument, bitches only care about how good you look while playing an instrument
>>
I'd love to learn piano but I don't have a place where to put one. I know there's some keyboard in my house and was thinking on starting with that. How much different will it be from a normal piano? Besides the weight of keys
>>
>>25804249
Making up songs with my guitar and keyboard is the only thing I really have to live for. So yes, it has improved my life.
>>
I'm just gonna tell you if you wanna do it to get pussy you're gonna fail. It doesn't work like that.
It's a great pastime though.
>>
>>25805516
i've played in bands out live for the past 8 years. i've been hit on once by a drunk girl but autismod out because i'm autistmo
>>
>>25804249
I'm 30, and used to play the piano, guitar, violin and flute when I was like half my age and younger. I haven't touched an instrument since I was 16 and bought myself a keyboard last year.

It feels good, you feel your progress growing equally to the amount of effort that you put into it. The songs you learn and practice become literally a part of you, there's no other feeling like that.

>>25805471
number of keys will probably be less than that of a regular piano
>>
>tfw no gf who wears dresses with no panties
>>
>>25805553
Well if you play in bands it can actually work out, but you have to be dedicated. If you just picked up guitar cause girls like it and play casually it's not gonna help much.
>>
>>25805516
>>25805553
some girl asked about me because I was just holding a bass guitar with some other friends when I was like 15 and never even touched it since then, but I also autismod
>>
>>25805596
the only guys i've ever witnessed picking up girls after gigs were the good looking guys anyway

the whole sex drugs and rock and roll thing is dead, all that 80s pantie dropping shit is in hip hop now
>>
>>25805566
>The songs you learn and practice become literally a part of you, there's no other feeling like that

Very nicely put. Love it
>>
>>25805256
>One can dream
>dream
as a guitarist and songwriter, let me tell you... groupies are 100% a real thing

if you make music that touches a young woman, no matter how many "fans" you have, she will have sex with you because of it. when it's happened to me, they never outright *said* so. but they were extra nice to me, or were extra receptive when i approached them. then after we had sex, or as we were kinda flirting/feeling each other out, i found out they liked my stuff.

this isn't to convince you to learn an instrument. but if you already play, for YOUR OWN reasons, just a heads-up.
>>
>>25805696
just because it's not mainstream anymore doesn't mean it's dead senpai.

sure the mainstream thing is watered-down EDM and shit-hop, but by being smaller the alternative scene is much tighter.
>>
>>25805766
I understand. I totally want to play for myself and just feel good that i can make life out of wood and string. The side-benefit of girls being receptive is very encouraging, but id only play it to a girl who already likes me for me
>>
Piano is great for venting emotions but I'm not sure if it's for everyone or if I'm just a natural composer
>>
>>25805326
Normie here, partially true but if you can play really really well it doesn't matter what you look like.
>>
I've been playing the trumpet for 12 years now. Went to school and everything. Might do a masters and hit the audition circuit. We'll see. It's fun as fuck.
>>
>>25805696
Hip hop was the 80s, friend
>>
>>25804249

i play guitar and piano and i enjoy learning new songs and shit. it's a fun way to kill time while also feeling productive.

do it for yourself though. don't do it if you think it will make you more interesting to girls because it won't. girls could literally not care less because i'm not good looking or chad. not that i care, i do it because i enjoy it.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.