[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who /programmer/ here? Thread for robots who code or want to

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 12

File: code.jpg (7KB, 683x512px) Image search: [Google]
code.jpg
7KB, 683x512px
Who /programmer/ here?
Thread for robots who code or want to learn to code. These threads are usually p good here.
Also the normies are out partying today so maybe we can have some actual robot talk
>>
>>25800009
>CS major
>actually pretty fucking talented, but too apathetic to delve into any practical applications on my own
>tfw can sometimes feel my peers' contempt
How do I motivate myself to not waste my talents?
>>
>>25800009
currently juggling around a bunch of projects I know i cant do. Lazy and idle
>>
>>25800009
Embedded systems engineer here. Embedded C and assembly are my shit
>>
File: 1369824736772.png (309KB, 625x478px) Image search: [Google]
1369824736772.png
309KB, 625x478px
7th semester cs, been programming since i was 14
>tfw always carrying grouop project single handedly
>tfw stressed out because of it and lost all motivation to be in this field anymore
>tfw the one thing you love doing has lost all its worth
>>
>>25800761
and vhdl?
>>
a-are web devs allowed? /g/ doesn't let us in their threads
>>
>>25800851
you're welcome to stay
>>
>>25800761
my nigger, whats some of the most fun youve done with it?
i made a lightweight OS a while ago, shit was fun even though the documentation was a pain
>>
>>25800009
How do I learn to program?

I did Python in high school and I did well with that. Truth be told, I only want to do game design programming. Should I pick an engine (like unity) and practice from there?
>>
File: IMG_20141024_233208.jpg (11KB, 192x262px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141024_233208.jpg
11KB, 192x262px
Im in my seventh CS Semester, participated in several Android projects and 1 real uni project.
Mfw I can barely write a for-loop without looking it up.
Mfw I copy code from stackoverflow and YouTube tutorials and make it always somehow work.
..I-is this how real coders work or am I just lucky that I havnt been busted? I mean I can explain most of the shit I push but if I had to write code without Google etc I would be so fucked senpai
>>
>>25800948
yeah go with unity. follow their official tutorials and learn c#
>>
>>25800948
you can use unity or just pygame since you already know python. Unity supports 3D and pygame doesn't though. Unity uses C# and I think javascript.
And yes it's pretty much a matter of practice. I learned a lot by making videogames since you just unleash your creativity and see results.

>>25800851
I am considering doing some javascript for, well, the above mentioned, among other less interesting stuff. But I hear a lot of people talk about how shitty js is. I am wondering if it is really shitty as in not worth it or maybe they're just like that because it's a bit ugly and overwhelmed with 3rd party libraries that lay webdevs just patch onto their sites?
>>
>>25801029
Is C++ anything like C#?
>>
>>25801001
i hate your kind, a lot
>>
>>25800838
Sadly no :( I've only used ABEL and vlog otherwise
>>
CS Majors, how do you not forget the languages you've been taught in class?

So far I've learned Python, Java, and C. Forgotten most of them.
>>
>>25801001
You're screwed once you graduate.

You should go back and relearn the basics, at the very least. Just review a bit before graduating, or you'll really have learned NOTHING at all from obtaining a Bachelor's degree.
>>
>>25800928
Probably the most fun thing I did was make a little robot that followed my hand around. It worked really well on 2/3 of the axies but I never mastered moving it in and out
>>
>>25801029
javascript is fine and it's becoming very widely adopted now with mobile apps and desktop apps being made with it so defenitely worth learning.

I'd still stick to c# for unity though as I believe it has a better api.
>>
2nd year CS student here. Can't program for shit. Basically blagged it the whole of first year, and now it's coming back to bite me.

What should I do, anons?
I'm completely fucked.
>>
>>25801173
Learn python. It's shit easy to learn and a great start to your late development curve.
>>
>>25801199
We did python last year. Can't remember even a single line of code desu. We're currently doing C and I haven't a clue wtf I'm doing.
>>
>>25801173
What do you have trouble with?

If you don't program in your spare time working in projects you're interested in you will never be good.

I didn't understand my first semester of CS. Watched TheNewBoston's over break and it cleared just about everything up. Make some fucking projects too.

Just got an internship for $35 an hour in the upcoming summer. I did it bros. Hopefully i'm not clueless as fuck in corporate programming.
>>
>>25801232
Try this course: https://www.coursera.org/learn/python
>>
>>25801242
>internship for $35 an hour in the upcoming summer

This is the fucking dream, god damn. Stuck with a shitty part time job washing dishes right now. Minimum wage.

I'm going to be majoring in CS next year, do you have any advice? I have limited experience in Java and Python.
>>
Correct me if I'm wrong I thought programing was more art then science and less sum mathematics and more esoteric algebraic logic.
>>
File: 1435193659278.jpg (83KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
1435193659278.jpg
83KB, 384x313px
I learned to code by self teaching , i know x86 asm , C , operating system internals, digital logic , yet i have nothing useful to do with that knowledge , what gives ?
>>
File: tumblr_ntni0kALh61ueiaxzo1_1280.jpg (39KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ntni0kALh61ueiaxzo1_1280.jpg
39KB, 550x550px
>>25801242
>What do you have trouble with?
>If you don't program in your spare time working in projects you're interested in you will never be good.

My problem is motivation. I don't have any. I have big dreams and no motivation :( I don't program outside of the course either.

>
I didn't understand my first semester of CS. Watched TheNewBoston's over break and it cleared just about everything up. Make some fucking projects too.

I watched some of his vids last year and they Deffo helped. I can't believe I forgot about him.

> Just got an internship for $35 an hour in the upcoming summer. I did it bros. Hopefully i'm not clueless as fuck in corporate programming.

You're going to make it, brah. We're all going to make it.
>>
>>25800009
I do a lot of work with c/c++
I still occasionally need to look up documentation for uncommon/library functions, but I can come up with a solution usually from my head
about to graduate, and I'm pretty scared about the whiteboard interviews
i had one with google, and completely fucked up because I couldn't catch the trick fast enough and I ran out of time for debugging
>>
>>25801295
Wellll
It's more the sort of "sequence actions to be performed by a computer and datastructures for those actions to work with. Then spend weeks debugging and mantaining and dealing with the shitty idiosyncracies of your area of programming and all the meaningless religious wars between editors/broswers/OSs/languages/paradigms/etc"
>>
>>25801242
>projects
Like what?
>>
>>25801242
>35 an hour
lucky as fuck if this is real
I had to take an unpaid internship because there were no jobs around me and I had to take a job at the state university where our budget is fucked

I did get to lead my own project and get a couple of grants from the government for my work though
>>
>used to be into code
>showed promise and got most concepts easily
>stuff happens
>lose all drive to learn and mind is constantly foggy
>completely forget half of what I know
>can't even make a somewhat simple control loop
Is there hope?
>>
>>25801286
Yes, stop wasting time and think of a project you're interested in. Once you find a project that you will find useful for yourself you will not be able to stop programming.
For example I created a music manager/player. I baked a ton of cool features into it (like album sort, album art, id3 tage cache). Customized it to work EXACLTY like I would want mine too.
It was addicting. Adderall also makes it 5x as good.

For interview advice I actually wrote a guide on le reddit not too long ago
https://www.reddit.com/r/EngineeringStudents/comments/3v0ayj/my_internship_interview_adviceguide_or_how_i/

>inb4 go back 2 reddit
It was thanks to reddit that I actually learned a ton about programming and job advice, not in this shit hole of a board. I don't think I would have gotten this job without binging on it.
>>
Mostly write Scala for my job, a little Java.

I try to use it as purely functional as possible but I keep running up against the limitations of the language
>>
>>25801242
Don't listen to this nigger. You don't have to program on your spare time to be good. Source: me. During university the only programming I did was assignments the day before they were due. I also talked to no one and gamed all the time. I graduated and they offered me a masters scholarship. Top cuck. I now make 70k.

I'm Chinese though.
>>
>>25801329
There's a lot you can do with an understanding of C and assembly. Unix daemons. Device drivers. cracking proprietary software. optimizing compilers. shellcode, malicious software. You can try and make a work or a botnet and use it to do shenanigans. You can make gayms in C++ and build a showcase and have mr minamimoto musashi at konami look at your mad skillz and pay you big bux.
C is a valuable skill since few people want to learn it anymore. most of them are java codemonkeys, or webdevs, and the meme kids are using haskell and lisp.
>>
>>25801547
An anon was inquiring about his inability to program.

One anon told him to practice and find projects so he can practically apply what he was learning.

You responded with a bunch of self-serving bullshit that in no way services the person inquiring for help.

You don't need to practice in your spare time. You're the exception. Congratulations. You're also an autistic cunt.
>>
>>25801547
Did you not read his post? He is fucking up, obviously the school assignments are not working.

>B-but I did it!
Across all the CS students I know the ones with the personal projects are blatantly the best.
>>
>>25801547

Autistic advice: The Post
>>
I write and maintain Java backend ad services for Amazon.
>>
>>25801054
Kind of. I'd use c++ for something high performance, like a game, or an object oriented wrapper to a C library. C# can be used for literally anything else.
>>
File: titan2.jpg (1MB, 2000x1224px) Image search: [Google]
titan2.jpg
1MB, 2000x1224px
I know a bit of python and am learning more. I just want to harvest the insane power of computers to do mathematics and science.
>>
File: 1446057254716.jpg (16KB, 500x398px) Image search: [Google]
1446057254716.jpg
16KB, 500x398px
>>25801611
i feel you on the meme kids side , most devs noways code without understanding what is going under the hood , which is not the way to do it. and they are supposed to have formal degrees from collages or universities , meanwhile i would not even be considered as hiring material , kinda pisses me off , anyway dont really want to do malware since NSA has backdoors in everything, however i know malware and I'm kinda more focused on it atm, tried to make games , but you would not believe the time you have to put in to it , device drivers are boring and i don't really want to write them for free. I guess i could try to go in to an infosec field (since I'm quite knowledgeable about malware due to reversing it in detail) if my current collage studies don't yield me a job in a chemistry lab.
Any info sec guys here to describe me the industry in detail
>>
how can I earn an income online with lower level stuff like C or assembly?

I use to love C, would like to learn assembly.

but all obvious stuff seems to be web programming (which I currently do but pretty much hate)
>>
>>25801333

Anon you need adderall and have to get that motivation bullshit out of your head.

I don't have motivation, I just fucking do it and separate it from my emotional self. Motivation is for retards, discipline always prevails.
You need to stop looking for excuses and falling back on muh motivation.
>>
>tfw CS graduate who was a researcher and even presented published papers at conferences but now a NEET.
>>
>>25801932
isnt adderall just a meme? or will it acutally make me be able to do the things i always wanted to but never get around to?
>>
>>25801977
Why are you cunts always so contrarian? Just because many normies use it does not make it a fucking meme you autists.

You still need to focus and GET IT DONE, but adderall will definitely make it easier and fun.
Ultimately you will still need to have some discipline, just don't start jacking off until you get your work done.
>>
>>25801932
You're right. Discipline is more important than motivation. Disciplined people can do things even when they lack motivation and that's what it takes to be successful.
>>
>>25802101
im not rejecting it, i just hear it thrown about all the time "omg im so add i need adderall xDD" thats why i was asking
>>
>>25802169
you can also try modafinil as a lite version

with that you still have to guide your focus, otherwise you may find you've simply spent a day shitposting with greater vigour
>>
>>25802313
ill look into it, thanks anon
>>
>>25800630
>How do I motivate myself

check out the games Infinifactory, Spacechem, and TIS-100. all by the same developer, all incredibly solid programming/engineering/logic games.

and no i'm not a shill. you can easily pirate them. they seriously got me motivated when i started losing focus in programming.
>>
Who here is confident they could make a game, similiar to Morrowind?

I don't program, but have worked with modding, Rpg Maker, and other things, so I see the mathematics of some video games.

Like lockpicking a 50Lvl chest with 100 skills. Its just [Mathformula] = Suceed/Fail.

And [Your Defense] x [Something] = [How Much Damage you end up taking]

Who here could make an old game like morrowind, assuming you have 3d modellers and leveldesigners avaible?
>>
>>25802529
The basic principle behind making an RPG is not too hard desu. It's just a bunch of datastructures. The problem would be designing it correctly and, well, all the work that underlies making games, such as, as you said it, getting to make some decent graphics, levels, music, a story, etc. It's also a big world what you're thinking. You could attempt to make the barebones, but then you'll too have to deal with memory leaks and optimization.
If you think you're ready, draw a schematic, test it with some scripting language like python, so you can interactively work with it while you design it. As I said, the basic principle should not bee to hard.
>>
>>25800630
Get into a routine
Go to some place at school for 8-12 hours a day, and spend whatever time you need studying and the rest on personal projects. It is so much easier to focus when have a designated place where you do it.

Then once you get home you can do whatever the fuck you want, because you have already accomplished everything you wanted. If your projects are fun, and you have gotten started on them you will probably find it way easier to work at home.

There is no way to get motivated. Just do it, it it hard in the beginning, but after 2 weeks it will be easy. Just stick with it. If it is not enjoyable reconsider your passion.
>>
>>25801977
adderall is 100% a meme. If you don't have motivation to do your school work all adderall will do for you is make you a more efficient shit poster and make it harder to sleep. Source, me prescribed 20 mg a day but only take it when I want to do shit and even then I usually end ip procrastinating and shitposting.
>>
Anyone here contributed to existing projects before?
I'd like to do that, but reading C code is usually not easy and thus it takes time. So I don't really know where to start (main() of course, but I mean, if I were to look for bugs to fix).
>>
>>25802721
This is good advice, same applies to lifting.
>>
File: 1381885030327.gif (71KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1381885030327.gif
71KB, 500x400px
>There are people IN THIS THREAD who program in C++
>There are people right now using a crutch to a crutch for writing in assembly
>>
>>25800630
>90%same here comrade!
>>
File: fse-ch-001-001.jpg (196KB, 728x1165px) Image search: [Google]
fse-ch-001-001.jpg
196KB, 728x1165px
What are you, robots, working on?
Wanna collaborate and make mad dosh?
>>
>>25803553
you must GNU here
>>
File: 1398908585333.jpg (76KB, 800x714px) Image search: [Google]
1398908585333.jpg
76KB, 800x714px
I forget everything I've learned within a month of learning it so no matter how much I read I always feel like a beginner.
>>
>>25803635
Reddit: the pun.
Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>25800009
im currently doing an IT/Engineering double degree and am programming a foreign exchange bot in my spare time, surprisingly its actually going well
>>
Im in 2nd year of uni for CS and i feel like ive made a terrible mistake.
I maintain a credit average (maybe 3-3.3 gpa for muricans) and i know i will pass the degree but im just too stupid to get the big picture of programming, i just cant think of any projects or practical uses of programming.
I know c++, java and assembly.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.