[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Save the vaquita

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: Vaquita.jpg (80KB, 600x434px) Image search: [Google]
Vaquita.jpg
80KB, 600x434px
http://www.vivavaquita.org/

>The vaquita porpoise (Phocoena sinus) is considered by many to be the rarest and most-endangered species of marine mammal in the world. It is Critically Endangered with an estimated 245 remaining in 2008 and less than 100 in 2014 (CIRVA 2014). It is the smallest of only seven species of true porpoises, and is the only one that lives in warm waters of the eastern Pacific Ocean. It is found in a tiny area in the extreme northern Gulf of California, near Baja California, Mexico.

I want to save the vaquita.
>>
File: Dangerfield_555_2.jpg (153KB, 555x555px) Image search: [Google]
Dangerfield_555_2.jpg
153KB, 555x555px
Good purpose
>>
>>25763481
god damn that's a cool looking animal

still they are doomed. it's pointless

I am curious why they are endangered tho
>>
File: adios.jpg (80KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
adios.jpg
80KB, 500x500px
Does it do anything cool? Can we make anything cool out of it? Is it essential to any ecosystems? (obv not) Is it us that is driving it to extinction?

The answer to all of those is no, so fuck off and deal with the fact that species die.
>>
I wonder if anyone is collecting and dry freezing the flesh of all these dying animals for 2050 when we have a marine jurassic park and bring all of them back to life.
>>
>>25763481
who gives a shit when I am still a virgin! Priorities anon...
>>
OP here.

Poaching for other endangered animals is one of their major killers. A lot of people don't even care about vaquitas enough to kill them--they get killed because people are trying to kill other animals and the vaquitas sort of just get caught up in all of it. And caught in the nets.

Let's help our sea dwelling bros.
>>
>>25763527
The idea is, I imagine, it might have uses that are yet unknown.

I just wondered >>25763533, if it's possible to extract its makeup somehow to store and reproduce it at a later time.
>>
>>25763533
ill flash fuck your freezing flesh mate
>>
>>25763543

>The idea is, I imagine, it might have uses that are yet unknown.

The reason I want to save the vaquita is because I feel for them. Not because I think they have some utility as resources to humans.

I care about other humans even if they're not a resource to me. So why shouldn't I care for the vaquita?
>>
It's always a shame when a species goes extinct, since each one is unique. In a way each one is like a unicorn. There is nothing else the same as it. They are the only of their kind.

Still dinosaurs, mammoths, and tons of other animals have gone extinct. Most animals that ever lived are extinct. Yet we still have diversity because whatever is left eventually evolves to branch out and diversify itself too.

Modern lions are in the process of evolving. Females with manes and male typical behavior are appearing. The reasoning is they make it look like the pride has more males, so rival prides are less likely to pick a fight with them. Over time I can see all lions evolving to have males, masculine females as back up, and feminine females to hunt because lack of mane is better camo. (males have manes to protect their necks in fights and females don't because they are the hunters and need to stay hidden)
>>
>>25763593

Dinosaurs didn't "go extinct" in the way the vaquita might.

They produced descendants that mutated over time and now are the birds we have today.

The vaquita hasn't produced any mutated children that will survive. It's its own thing (at least for now) and they might just die out.
>>
>>25763593

>Modern lions are in the process of evolving. Females with manes and male typical behavior are appearing. The reasoning is they make it look like the pride has more males, so rival prides are less likely to pick a fight with them. Over time I can see all lions evolving to have males, masculine females as back up, and feminine females to hunt because lack of mane is better camo. (males have manes to protect their necks in fights and females don't because they are the hunters and need to stay hidden)

That's really fascinating though, I had no idea. Thanks for the info.
>>
>tfw you're an animal just like the endangered vaquita
>tfw you're composed of the same exact matter
>tfw you're fundamentally the same as the vaquita
I want to save them.
>>
File: Vaquita.jpg (27KB, 503x335px) Image search: [Google]
Vaquita.jpg
27KB, 503x335px
"Gill nets" are a major cause of death for vaquitas.

>In order to save the Vaquita all the gill nets must come out of their habitat very quickly. Saving this species will require substantial financial resources, support for the communities, fishermen that are making the needed changes, constant and vigilant enforcement. If successful, saving the vaquita will provide another example that eco-tourism works with humans and porpoises sharing coastal waters.

>Scientists agree that the only solution to this dire problem is to totally eliminate fishing with gillnets in the vaquita habitat. This can be accomplished through a combination of buying out some fishermen and converting them to other livelihoods and compensating remaining fishermen to use alternative fishing methods that do not endanger the vaquita.

http://www.savethevaquita.org/How_to_help_FVPG.html
>>
>>25763536
>>25763616
>The depressed robot (Robotum depressum) is considered at times to be the rarest and most-endangered population of subsocial mammal in the world. It is Critically Endangered with an estimated subboard of an imageboard remaining in 2014 and a fraction of that population in 2016 (strawpoll.me 2016). It is the rarest of only seven diagnoses of pervasive developmental disorders, and is the only one that lives in comfortable confines of their homes. It is found in a tiny area in the extremities of their rooms.
>>
>>25763676
way I see it the animals that survive are the ones that can steer clear of human ways

Like in my suburban city squirrels, scrub jays, and mourning doves are common, but not bears. Those little animals can live among us in our backyard without getting in the way. Bears wouldn't have enough to eat around here. So the little ones survive.

Animals like that one just keep getting in the way. They will die out. Those who survive are the ones that don't get in our way.
not sure why other whale like creatures around its size aren't dying out for the same reason though. Like dolphins
>>
>>25763593
so even lions have bought into the tranny meme
damn
is nothing sacred?
>>
This is /r9k/ not some animal rescue team. Go talk about this on Reddit or something.
>>
>>25763756
they'd be more likely to help that's for sure.
I encourage op to do this
>>
>>25763756

I truly, honestly believe that spreading awareness of an issue helps, no matter where that awareness is spread.

There are some people on this board who do care about animals. They are going to read this and think about it, and maybe (through the incredible chain of cause and effect) end up making a difference somehow.

Every little bit helps. One dollar, one minute spent thinking, one post.

It all adds up.
>>
>>25763832
I'd try /an/ or reddit. this was interesting though
>>
>>25763873

I will try /an/, thanks.

But I'm also going to post here about the vaquita. I don't think it could hurt and it really might help.
>>
>>25763543

Of course it's possible to reproduce it later, but one has to extract 100% of the DNA now! now! now! otherwise it will all be lost. Look at that pretty mascara on it.
>>
Think about it. This is an animal which has been royally screwed over. It has its own little spot and people came and screwed up its life.

I am someone who has been badly screwed over myself. Screwed by the system.

My sympathies lie with the vaquita.
>>
>>25763907
I'd still strongly encourage reddit over /an/ though

that place is normie central and has an older user base than 4chan. I think 4chan was like 15-25 and reddit was like 18-29
>>
>>25763961
The weak die out, the strong live.

I would only care about that fucking fish if it's tasty as fuck, but all the dolphin I've had tastes like shit.

No sympathy for pointless waterniggers
>>
>>25763984
also most 4chan threads don't show up as google results

reddit ones tend to though. Maybe your post will be seen a year from now on there from a google search
>>
>>25764005

>The weak die out, the strong live.

That's not how natural selection even works.

The best at reproducking live on in new generations, and those who don't reproduce well given current conditions die out.

"Strength" doesn't necessarily make you a better reproducer.

And it's not even that the vaquita is weak. It's that people have come in and started killing them while trying to kill fish.
>>
>>25764028
>dying out
>Not weak

Maybe if it had developed jaws with teeth that could chew through nets it wouldn't get it's down-syndrome gillnigger ass caught in nets.
>>
>>25763507
I misread this as porpoise
Was I supposed to?
>>
>>25764005
How's the eight grade going?
>>
>>25764159
The eight(sic) grade is tough, but as long as I master English this year I'll graduate with more potential than you.
>>
>>25764218

Stop squabbling and help save the vaquita.
>>
>>25764244
Give me one good reason other than your faggot emotions about a useless fish
>>
>>25764260

Cetaceans are effectively people, even though they're not humans. Why is the life of a vaquita worth less than the life of a man?
>>
>>25763481
sounds terrible op. I wish I could help but honestly, like mist other robots on here, I don't have the money or needs to travel to put a stop to this. I take it that the Vaquita is being killed off by dumb minorities who don't know any better and probably still wear leather thongs as clothes. Try taking this issue to some people that do have the means to stop this like (dare i say it) reddit.
>>
>>25763604
dinosaurs are not a species and only a few dinosaurs evolved or persisted
>>
>>25764441

I should have been more specific.
>>
>>25764128

Yes you were. Rodney Dangerfield I think talks like that where purpose is pronounced porpoise. At least that's what I recall.
>>
poor vaquita...... I wish I could die in its place
>>
>>25764754
Well then I must vaguely know that from somewhere
>>
vaquita bump
>>
bump for vaquitas
>>
>>25763519
It's endemic to the gulf of mexico. We have a problem with eutrophication in this country. All that nitrogen goes down to the gulf and kills all the fish.
>>
File: 1441886489359.jpg (56KB, 630x570px) Image search: [Google]
1441886489359.jpg
56KB, 630x570px
Op this is my favourite thread today. For many reasons.

I will help you save the vakweetah
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.