[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Useless degree thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 396
Thread images: 53

Who else here has a fucking useless degree that won't get them anywhere except flipping burgers?

Let's see...

>Be me
>24 years old
>BA in English Literature (YES, YES I KNOW)
>Literally couldn't pass anything else, just wanted a degree in *something*
>No job experience longer than one year that isn't retail or something menial.

The worst part is that somehow my resume still gets interviews, only for me to fuck that up because I have no relevant experience to cite for whatever job I'm applying for. I once got an email saying I was turned down because the examples I provided from my shitty hourly jobs were not at the "level of complexity" require for the position.

Should I just give up civilian life and join the military? Would having a degree at all mean anything in there?
>>
idk,maybe you'll get an NCO rank.
>>
Art. One semester to go. Hell I'm even getting an MFA as well because why the fuck not?
>>
File: comfy.jpg (42KB, 450x373px) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
42KB, 450x373px
>get music degree
>teach piano to kids and conduct local choirs
>stable, decent income straight off university
>moved in with cute, smart girl who plays the violin
Everything went better than expected, senpai.
>>
>>25758057

Music is pretty much my only passion. Do you know if there's a decent chance of getting a stable job with a Music degree?
>>
File: Sad feel.png (70KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
Sad feel.png
70KB, 500x382px
>>25757921
Me:
Bachelor of Science, Zoology
Master of Science, Zoology

Might as well write my name on a piece of toilet paper and show it to employers. I tried getting a job with the BSc and failed, and because I'm a fucking retard I did the masters thinking it would help my chances.
>>
>>25758198
Go for a Doctorate?
>>
>>25758083
Yes, there is. But you have to work hard. If you slack, you'll get nowhere. I got where I'm at by practicing from 5 til 8 every afternoon monday-thursday in high school, every week. Music degrees are no joke. There's a lot of theory and a massive amount of practicing to be done.
Most music degrees have their applicants perform an audition consisting of obligatory repertoire and self chosen repertoire. For my piano application, I played a prelude and fugue by Bach, a movement from a Beethoven sonata, a Chopin etude and one of my own inventions. There's also a theory and ear training test.
>*music plays on speaker*
>"The music is written on this sheet, but some of the notes are written wrong. Draw a circle around the wrong notes."
If you're serious about music studies, you'll investigate where you can study music and what application procedures they operate with, and be well prepared for your audition.
>>
>>25758321
I forgot to add:
Don't bother getting a music degree if you
a) Don't want to teach, ever
b) Aren't exceptionally talented on your instrument
c) Aren't exceptionally talented at writing music
If you are exceptionally talented, or if you don't mind teaching, a music degree can be very helpful. If neither, don't bother.
>>
>>25758083
Music education.
>currently in music ed
>not as good as my performance friends
>at least I'll have a a teaching job
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>25758321
>Music degrees are no joke.

Yes they are. Stopping talking bullshit. Most people with a music degree won't get a music job. Even those who become teachers struggle to get a music teaching job.

A degree is judged on it's overall worth, not the "one or two" who succeed. It should be useful to the large majority of graduates, but it's not.
>>
>>25758321
>practices instrument for three hours a day, four days a week
>work hard
>no joke
Does this mean I can just fuck around after 8 pm and play games? My last degree required me to study about eight hours per day outside of classes.
>>
>>25758410
>Most people with a music degree won't get a music job.
[citation needed]
>Even those who become teachers struggle to get a music teaching job.
[citation needed]
>>
Computer Science

This is like the one STEM field where you can easily get a job without the degree but people still get the degree. Why?
>>
>>25758465
>my last degree
I was talking about high school, you illiterate nigger, not university. Also, consider the fact that these daily 3 hours of practice were after school, before I got started on homework.
Studying for the degree itself is all right because there are not so many classes to attend, so you get to practice a lot on day time.
Off topic: Testing senpai. F a m. F.a.m.
f
a
m
I could swear "senpai" in my earlier post got corrected to "senpai" by 4chan.
>>
>>25757990
I have a degree in design.
I worked for a bit, now I'm going to do a bachelor of fine art.

It's nice not having to do number-crunching drudgery and monotonous excel spreadsheet shit
>>
>>25758572
It's word filter to be honest family desu senpai
>>
I got an A.S. in Digital Arts. I did look into some storyboard gigs but the pay is absolutely horrible, especially for central California. I realized I love to draw, but not enough to live off of pennies with a bunch of roommates. I'm just glad I didn't go for a Bachelor's, my buddy is 60k in debt with his video game degree.
>>
>>25757990

Same here, ro-bro. Working in a STEM job now but have an art degree to mix it up.
>>
File: 1451521712818.gif (2MB, 500x210px) Image search: [Google]
1451521712818.gif
2MB, 500x210px
>>25757921
>21
>degree in political science
>sell insurance for state farm
>hate my life
>hate my boss
>technically my degree isn't worthless since it helped me get a somewhat above average paying job but t b h I wish everyday I was back selling tickets for my local theater. At least I got to fuck around for most of my shift and I somewhat enjoyed what I did and the people I worked with
>Called out sick monday to interview at a law firm for a data entry/receptionist/paralegal gig
>Should receive a call or e-mail tomorrow with the results
>Don't think I'll get it. Don't know what I'll do if I don't

I'm torn. What's even worse is my bosses' cunt wife is coming back from vacation tomorrow. She makes my life a living hell- if I don't get the data entry/paralegal gig I might just put in my two weeks notice, find a service industry job/beg my old boss for my comfy job back and try to pick up some online free lancing work.

I'm going back to grad school in 21 months after my gf graduates from college and I need to be financially responsible until then so I can save up a bit of money because fuck going deeply into debt to pay for a degree that might or might not end up working out for me.

As for why I got my degree- everyone in my family had one, I got accepted into a decent college and I had the opportunity to graduate a couple years early with no debt so there wasn't a lot of pressure to get a good return on my investment.

Once I started my freshman year I started drinking heavily by myself, I spent way too much time on 4chan and the rest is history.

Quit drinking a little while back and fuck can life be a bitch sometimes.
>>
>STEM but can't get internships
>did nothing for year because no one told me
>try for two years but no experience probably ruined my applications passing
>now last year and still no experience but hopefully having all but one important class done will get me in
This is going to be the most stressful year of my life, checking every damn day on my phone/email for a fucking internship. If I don't get one in 1 month I'll die from a stroke and heart attack. If I live past that I'll just kill myself from shame of having to apply to McDonalds with an engineering degree because no FUCKIN GINTERNSHIP
>>
BS in psychology. I wanted to do research and like a dumbass got all butthurt when I didn't get in Stanford grad program. I worked doing some airport shit for a whiwhile, good pay but hated the exposure to the elements and getting dirty. I wanted to take a break a collect my thoughts, quit full time and got a prn gig as psych tech in loony bin. I always told myself I would never do clinical or psych because they were the gayest forms of psychology, barely above cbt and talk therapy. The pay is shit, but hours are great, 12 hour shifts and at night. I decided I actually kind of like it. It's still nowhere near anything to do with psychology, so rather than go be a failure and do clinical I decided I might as well go psych and enter an rn program. Ideally I'd do critical care like a cvicu, ultimately leading to anesthesia, but I could be happy and fulfilled as a psych nurse practitioner. A doctor is still a doctor, even if it's not a PhD a DNP is still above the pathetic joke that is a PsyD. There are dual doctoral programs available, leading to PhD and DNP. That wwould be best since researchis still an option. I won't get butthurt and protest by dropping out if the VA or Wakeforest won't accept me. I'll apply to those two dream colleges, my alma mater, and a couple other nearby schools and take the best one that accepts me for anesthesia, and if none then I'll just be a nurse practitioner.

Just a tip for any others who fell for the good grades meme, stop doing that. Grades don't mean shit. My nose is constantly brown now but I've gotten more contacts and promising leads the last 6 months than my entire time as an undergraduate. Don't be afraid to be a pushy asshole. I went in with an attitude that I have nothing to lose. After being sick of jerked arouaround I started asking to see directors and it actually worked. They were impressed with my ballsy move and gave me their card and further leads. It was as simple as knowing the name and bluntly asking to see them.
>>
I got an accounting degree because I heard they got good jobs. Now I'm a NEET begging companies to let me wagecuck for them.
>>
File: bluemountain.jpg (364KB, 680x800px) Image search: [Google]
bluemountain.jpg
364KB, 680x800px
Public Administration.

I want to kill myself everyday for this choice I have made.
>>
>>25757921
Is public health a stupid degree? Its eaiser than biology and I'm trying to go to med school
>>
File: 1428912931686.jpg (72KB, 440x406px) Image search: [Google]
1428912931686.jpg
72KB, 440x406px
>>25759431

>med school
>with a public health undergrad

Lol. Pick one.

You're doing biology or premed if you want to go to med school, faggot.
>>
Computer Science.

There are too many people, and the job market is completely over saturated. Also, its one of the only fields were the new guys are preferred over the old because the field is still so rapidly changing, so the newer, fresher minds are desired.
All because people found out about how easy it is ;_;
>>
File: 1434417633986.jpg (822KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1434417633986.jpg
822KB, 1920x1080px
>>25759483
>>25759431
Lol a biology degree is pretty shit for medical school actually, somethingl ike Biochemistry or Biomedical engineering is much better. Public health is pretty good too. And don't forget to get those hours doing shadowing, scribing, volunteering, and good MCAT score.
>>
File: Chiaki-Minami2334.jpg (26KB, 396x396px) Image search: [Google]
Chiaki-Minami2334.jpg
26KB, 396x396px
>>25759583

This whole "college is job training" thing is just getting fucking ridiculous. The bachelor's degree doesn't even need to exist for most fields at all.

College was the worst decision I ever made.
>>
>>25759583
CS is one of those degrees where you can pretty much learn everything you need to know without actually having the degree itself. Except you pretty much always need it for the sake of having an actual degree.
>>
File: 1450821389696.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1450821389696.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>tfw you're about to sign up for english literature because your parents just want you to do anything but no major seems appealing to you

English lit sounds pretty chill, is it really that hard to get a job.. well it's not like I want a job anyway.
>>
>>25757921
I have a B.A in English. I work as an English teacher in Vietnam. It's a pretty cosy gig, I like it alot. I'm also engaged to a local girl.

Everything is alright.
>>
>>25759620
I can definitely see CS being superior as a minor to compliment something else once the craze dies down. Econ major with CS minor here, just had a guy say if he can he'll hire me out of college when the time comes based on the combination of those two, not the first person to say so either.
>>
>>25759723
I'm eurobean btw, not a native speaker
>>
>>25759743
That being said
>Econ major
>Comp Sci minor
>Taking Japanese as my required second language

Are my dreams of going to Japan and meeting a qt still unobtainable?
>>
>>25759723
OP here. That's literally what I did.

Don't do it. Unless you have an inherent desire to teach either high school english or go for your MA and try for the collegiate level, DO NOT major in English for the sake of having a degree.

If you want the usual "bullshit degree for the sake of having a degree", just go with a bog-standard BS in business admin.
>>
>>25758410
>A degree is judged on it's overall worth,
Nope.

Stop being a moron.
>>
>>25759813

In this economy, it's an unwise decision to simply go to college for a personal enrichment degree unless you're sufficiently wealthy enough to afford it.

A degree, unfortunately, -is- judged on it's worth. It's an investment, and if you cannot make a return on your investment, then you are suffering a loss and a possible lifetime of being in massive debt without the means to pay it back.
>>
>>25757921
Econ degree.

I've gotten interviews at some places but no one wants to hire me. While my GPA isn't doing me any favors it's not completely terrible (2.95).
>>
>>25758546

Promotions and higher pay. Also, some companies like IBM are now no longer taking in new hires unless the person has a bachelor's degree.

From what I gather, in the military you have to have a bachelor in order to be an officer, but if you do not have one then just grunt work is available.

Bachelors is the new GED of the 21st century because standards have dropped so drastically.
>>
File: 1447918074068.jpg (101KB, 728x636px) Image search: [Google]
1447918074068.jpg
101KB, 728x636px
>>25759783
It saddens me that I will have to make the same mistake you did, but I'm literally out of options.

Deadline for the summer terms is tomorrow and I did not do enough research to find something that I might like.

If I do anything with maths I will kill myself and business sounds really boring tbhdesu

I told all this to my parents but they are literally forcing me to just do ANYTHING and they believe I will "find my path" from there.
>>
File: 1444983550955.gif (560KB, 300x203px) Image search: [Google]
1444983550955.gif
560KB, 300x203px
>graduate 2.5 years ago with a history degree
>submitted ~75 job applications
>only got 3 interviews for jobs that paid $30k
>didn't get hired by any of them
>have a personal crisis of not knowing what to do with my life if I can't even get a shit job
>decide to get a masters in something useful
>first I need to raise the money for it
>get a demeaning full-time job at target that created a huge chip on my shoulder
>after 10 months of that I have the money for most of grad school
>manage to get into MS finance program
>now I'm looking for internships this summer
>100+ applications submitted
>1 office interview, and 1 phone interview
>both for $65k jobs
>don't get hired by either of them

just gonna keep applying to everywhere, at least I got 4 grand in scholarships from my 3.8 GPA
>>
>>25759874
>it's unwise
Slave spotted.
>>
>>25758410
You're wrong.
Music majors just like pre med and engineering commit many hours to their degree because of the required rehearsals and practices.
The only problem is unless you are exceptionally talented to where you can join an orchestra, and if you're one of those you dont need a degree in the first place.
But most spend all of those hours slaving away to the studies and their instrument just to get a job as an assistant director because band directors and college music professors do not let go of those jobs.
To apply for a college music professor job, you have to do many things competing against 60 or so people for one spot who all have docterates because that is what is required to teach music in college.
Point is its not worth it in my opinion to go through all that trouble just to make 35k a year.
You have to really love what you're doing to be happy with the reality of the outcome.
Also in highschool only 5% truly appreciate music, most are in band because they want a club to be in with their friends and they cant do sports
>>
This thread is why im going to get a masters in accounting and my CPA.
I may not fully enjoy it as I would a history or poly sci degree, but the fact is college has become such a money making scheme that not many degrees have the pay out for the huge demands that are required to be put in
I cant do pre med, or engineering so a financial type buisness degree is my best bet.
Corporate accounting or forensic accounting doesnt sound all that boring desu
>>
>>25759905
Fuck man, if my GPA was good enough I'd try for graduate programs.

>tfw 2.8 gpa
>>
>>25759133
>grades don't mean shit
Somehow they didn't want me at Stanford, I don't know why
>>
>>25760002
my history GPA was 2.75, I only got in because my GRE math score was very good (top 14% of test takers) and the business school was being forced to accept more students by the university because its a state school that wants more money
>>
Can't you get a comfy library job with a lit degree?
>>
>>25758198

Get a PhD and then get into academia.
>>
>>25760132
Yeah dude , librarians though require a masters i think though
>>
>>25760016

I know exactly why, it's because grades don't mean shit.

I should have done more than one semester of research assistant and more clubs and shit. I was president's list every semester except the last, where I made dean's list. I'm not going to apply to the nation's best program with just a 2.0. Part of it is also because I'm white and male, but affirmative action really just means they reserve seats for non-whites only, whites still get in, they just need more than good grades to make it.
>>
>>25759431

Your degree doesn't matter for undergrad. As long as you do well in all the prerequisites for the school you're applying for, keep a good GPA (science GPA and regular GPA), get a good MCAT score, and gather enough relevant clinical experience you're fine.

They judge you on everything. If you're a poli sci major with a 4.0, a 42 MCAT, and shit tons of experience you'll beat out some average joe biochem major easily. The only reason people pick biology-related majors is because the med school prerequisites are built into the major.
>>
>>25759317

IRS lad
>>
>>25759723

Do not do it.

If you're only going to college to get a degree and don't give a shit about anything, do something like accounting, econ, or finance. Those majors are soul crushing and boring as shit but they're always in demand so at least you can find a job somewhere.

That being said, don't be afraid to try out some weird classes for your lib studies requirements to see if some other subject piques your interest.
>>
>>25760002

iktfb

2.9 gpa biology graduate reporting in. i think about suicide daily.
>>
FUCK PRESENTATIONS FUCK PRESENTATIONS FUCK PRESENTATIONS FUCK PRESENTATIONS FUCK PRESENTATIONS FUCK PRESENTATIONS
>>
Animation degree but I didn't go to CalArts and don't live in Canada so no jobs ever. I only went to school to postpone my inevitable suicide though, so whatever.
>>
>>25757921
Just came to say I don't belong in this thread.

AA business
BS Information Systems
MCSE Server infrastructure
CCENT
LPIC-II
VSP

I'm a sysadmin making 90k

So glad I listened to my dad and didn't get a retarded degree.
>>
>>25760417
I've got a 2.9 GPA, my last best hope is to ace the LSAT and get into a good law school. Otherwise I'm fucked.
>>
>>25757921
Song related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUAvfCU8rzA
>>
>get a CS degree
>go into IT
>have no trouble getting into a good job

Sorry OP, you dun goofed.
>>
>>25757921
Anon you need to stay somewhere and work your way up
>>
File: 1449929021484.jpg (101KB, 1280x702px) Image search: [Google]
1449929021484.jpg
101KB, 1280x702px
>>25760462
>I'm a sysadmin making 90k

>sysadmin

I hate you with every fiber of my being.

Cheers,

Networking Engineer.
>>
>>25758480
Well firstly, most places don't even have music programs anymore. So how many music teachers do you think there are?
>>
>>25760478

Seriously though, what DO you do with a BA in English?

You don't need a degree to be a writer, editor, or anything like that. Other than teaching English I see no point, and if you speak English you already know everything you need to know to do that.
>>
>>25758546
Lifetime pay you dumb shit, you make about 2 grand per year more per degree with computer science.

Good luck getting an architect position without a PhD
>>
>>25760477

Well good luck anon. My original goal was medical school. Looking back on it I wonder why I even bothered to try.
>>
>>25757921
English isn't really the worst degree, it's just that you're expected to go on to graduate school with it and get your Masters in something more specialized.

But a lot of English majors sit on their ass and just go to classes expect a job will fall in the lap after four years.

I know this, I was one of them.

If you actually put in as much work in college as the people with "useful" degrees you'd be fine.
>>
>>25758198
nigga you can get jobs with that, you just got to lower your standards and apply for things the might not be exactly in the field but just require a generically sciencey background. for example, working in a milk testing lab. motherfuckers need to make sure total bacteria counts are within acceptable limits
>>
>>25759620
That's for code monkey garbo jobs that get outsourced to curryville.

If you want the real high paying engineering jobs you need a degree (also you will be doing little to no coding)
>>
File: 1452486313018.jpg (53KB, 488x750px) Image search: [Google]
1452486313018.jpg
53KB, 488x750px
>>25760380
Idk, I really don't want a job in that field though, sounds horrible

Right now I don't want any job, I just hope that will change with time, if needed my parents will probably support me changing my major

If my mindset doesn't change I will work toward becoming a librarian or something along those lines, sounds comfy as hell since I could read books all day.
>>
>>25759783
But business administration is actually useful and after working in lower management for a few years you can go back and get your MBA and work your way up to VP
>>
>>25760652

Librarian jobs aren't in demand, and the majority of the work involves heavy archiving, indexing and graduate studies.

Also if your parents are anything like most, the mentality changes once you're 21+ and the expectation changes from "Just focus on school." to "You need to get a job that you can start supporting yourself on", of which the latter is much, MUCH harder to achieve without a marketable degree.
>>
>>25760652
>I don't want any job

it's not about wanting a job anon, it's about needing one.
>>
>>25760532
Wrong, most English majors around here become technical writers. Of course this almost always requires you to have at least a basic knowledge on which you are writing, around here in the silicon valley many of them write manuals, press releases, technical reports, etc on computers and infotech
>>
>>25760513
c'mon bro, I was just talking shit with my buddy the network engineer today, we were laughing at one of the remote sites using
>LOCAL STORAGE
on an esx host they just deployed
It's like, nigga, that's what the SAN is for, why didn't you put the thing in the cluster, what the fuck are you doing?
>>
>>25760671
I know, that's why I said if someone is really that strapped to major in anything, then it's the safest option. Literally every Chad that goes to school on mommy and daddy's dime end up going for a BA in business, it's the arch-typical "normie" major.
>>
>major in film
>quickly realize this is retarded especially where i live
>switch majors to environmental science
>still fucked up bad, jobs are shit(unless water consv concentration), and i dont give two fucks about the environment
>>
>>25760727
Most technical writers I know have a degree in the content they're specializing in though.
>>
>>25758198
Can't you get a bio degree by taking like 5 classes with that shit?
>>
>>25760757
You can work for the state. Contractors still have a use for environmentalists.
>>
>>25757921
just teach yourself excel and be presentable and you can make 45,000 in any major city. It's not that hard
>>
>>25760777
i am generalizing based on the area im in i guess, lots of people around here are just into comp sci regardless of whether or not they studied it most programmers i know never studied it formally, so you are probably right that most technical writers studied their topics in general
>>
>>25760727

It would be better if they got a degree in what they were writing about though, like >>25760777 said.

A writer with a poli sci degree is going to know a hell of a lot more about politics than one with an english degree. Same for any STEM-related field. I don't want an english major writing about epidemiological findings.
>>
File: IHJP8B3.jpg (162KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IHJP8B3.jpg
162KB, 400x400px
>>25760715
>Librarian jobs aren't in demand
Yeah this is a problem
>heavy archiving, indexing and graduate studies
I know, seems alright though
>the expectation changes from "Just focus on school." to "You need to get a job that you can start supporting yourself on"
Yeah my parents will probably never be happy with what I do since I can't really see myself being great at being independant, but for now I see no other choice but to do what they want really
>it's not about wanting a job anon, it's about needing one.
I know fampal, I'm just trying to make the best of my absolute lack of motivation by giving myself some kind of goal I can vaguely see myself doing. Honestly I don't know if I can even last in a job.

Well there surely are tons of people like me but I really don't think I will be able to power through any useful degree, school already took too much willpower
>>
>>25760844
I have this one friend with near-savant levels of autism when it comes to programming. He works as a f/t webdev making about 65k annually.

The kicker? For pretty much the eight years of his life leading up to and during college he was strictly a programmer and software developer. In the end, he ends up working for a firm that mostly hires marketing and graphic design majors.

The fact that he's the only one that knows anything about coding and actual programming means they can't get rid of him even if he's a socially retarded fuckwit.
>>
>>25760462
What's all that shit you listed after the BS and how do I into it?
>>
>>25760462
IS major master race reporting in. IT is the chillest.

IT specialist here
>>
>>25760911
They're certs.
Microsoft
Cisco
Linux
Vmware
>>
I'm doing a degree in translation (English and French) and I've just realised this year that I don't like the French language, so I'm dropping it, which will probably hold me back another year. I'm already 25, meaning I'll only graduate when I'm 28 and with no relevant experience. It's bad enough now because I can't find a decent part-time job as I fucked my life and am afraid I'll even get rejected from McDonald's.

I really don't know if I should continue with the degree or do a one year course in accounting or logistics and try to find a job from there.
>>
>>25757921

go to grad school idiot, american studies undergrad here
>>
>>25760462

>sysadmin
>fell for the stem meme
>will spend whole life in front of screen not making a difference
>will never grow out of r9k at all

god i would kill myself if i had to stare at a computer for 8 hours everyday
>>
>>25760959
Ah cool. I was looking into getting certs instead of shitposting on 4chan all day, I'll have to add these to my list.
>>
File: canadian-stereotype-comic.jpg (78KB, 480x326px) Image search: [Google]
canadian-stereotype-comic.jpg
78KB, 480x326px
>>25760424
Why don't you... just... move to canada?
>>
Who /history/ here?

I was majoring in CS for my first semester but I can't do math so I switched after failing fucking pre-calc. I'm really scared about my prospects after graduation. It looks like my options are teaching and....teaching.

Maybe I can run away to grorious Nippon and teach English instead if I can't find work here
>>
>>25761064
Jokes on you, I sit around talking shit all day with buddies. I do about 8 total hours of work a week. Leave whenever I feel like it.

I also get paid travel around the world to set up remote sites.
>>
>>25761117
You'd probably want to do every level certs, mid or high level certs with no experience or degree is a red flag.
>>
>>25761176
*Entry level
>>
>>25761136
Even if you "can't do math", if you actually studied you should be able to fucking pass precalc
>>
File: 1447703292273.jpg (89KB, 1000x1502px) Image search: [Google]
1447703292273.jpg
89KB, 1000x1502px
>>25761136
I did the same thing as you fAm, except I was failing calc 1. I don't mind history and actually want to try teaching so I can try and redpill so faggot high schoolers.
But then I start thinking how I'll never land a teaching job and how I want to kill myself
>>
>>25761311
I was able to pass my statistics (I know its probably easier but whatever) class with a B, so I was probably just a dumb kid fresh out of high school who didn't know what he was doing. I also never studied once since I never studied in high school and thought I would get by just fine. It also didn't help that it was a 7:30AM class with a professor with a heavy Chinese accent. So I guess my stupid freshman ass just irreparably fucked my life up. Oh well, I'm in two deep to change majors again so I'll just have to accept my fate
>>
Nuclear Engineer

Why did I torture myself with the garbage?
>>
>>25761408
*too

fucking autocorrect
>>
>>25757921
BFa here. My job is not even remotely related.
>>
>>25760569
I have those feels, anon. Got that molecular bio degree, 3.77 GPA.......20 on the MCAT. Should have just killed myself and saved myself from the humiliation.
>>
Econ major. Working some garbage data entry job at a law firm that I only got because my dad is a lawyer there. I didn't know what I wanted to do in college and thought econ would be a good general degree, but I really didn't learn a single skill applicable to any jobs.

Thinking of going back to school for a Masters in Accounting and getting a CPA.
>>
You have the degree, now take $60k in loans for pilot training, get your ratings, and join the airlines. Most major airlines require a bachelor's. It doesn't matter what it's in, just that it has to be from an accredited university. My old room mate's dad has a bachelor's degree in liberal arts, and flies a 767 for American. He's probably the richest man with a liberal arts degree.
>>
>>25757921
>Would having a degree at all mean anything in there?
You can become an Officer, family. Every one of your normie subordinates will hate you for it, though. But nothing will have changed in that regard
>>
>>25759877

Thats a load of shit, either you come off as a turd person, have literally nothing on your resume or are applying to the wrong places or just not trying

2.5 econ degree here, no one cares about gpa if you have more going on
>>
>>25759877
Why do you talk about your gpa in an interview?
>>
>>25761598
Econ NEET here, what are the right places to be applying to?
>>
>>25761531
Where are you located? I just graduated with econ, have multiple hot prospects and not for shit data work. What the hell do you mean you learned nothing relevant? Did you go to shit college?

Im wondering if the people posting about econ sucking on here have
>bad school
>terrible socially
>no networking (see terrible socially)
>nothing else on resume (what did you just spend the last 4 years doing besides school?)
>are looking in the wrong places/ not trying

This is baffling the fuck out of me right now. When I say I have an econ degree people are impressed, plus tons of places in my area say the following:

econ, finance, (sometimes business or engineering) preferred
>>
>>25760601
>lower your standards
it doesn't work that way. over qualification is not a myth. they often turn people with degrees away for positions that don't need one even if it's in a completely different field, because overqualified people still expect more money and have the tendency not to stay very long and leave the moment something better comes along
>>
>>25761693

>Go on job sites, indeed monster etc
>for search criteria just put economics
>go through search result jobs looking at requirements
>find jobs that mention econ degrees
>apply like a mother fucker

Also other things
>beef up your linked in, it should look corporate and professional
>resume- don't use a template, make one from scratch, well worded
>Network- talk to everyone, people you know in the workforce should know not only that you are a graduate but that you need a job

Also research, don't just wing your resume, spend a few hours a day researching how to craft the best one, same goes for the linkedin

Don't rest on your degree alone, when you get interviews make it clear that you are there to hustle with the energy you give off

I hope this doesn't fall on deaf ears here
>>
>>25761791
Everyone in this thread needs to follow this. Great advice.
>>
>>25757921
Well, your problem isn't actually a shitty degree, but the fact that you don't know what you want from life. Stop being passive and get your priorities together.
>>
>be me
>comp sci degree
>been working for 3 years
>only make $65k
>other STEMfag friends making double what I make

why even live?
>>
Who /academicprobation/ here?
Can't wait to "get back on track" and "put my life together"
>>
>BA in anthropology
>working on double masters in anthropology and political science now because what else am I going to do with my time?
It's better than being neet desu. Will get to do some field work in Africa next semester paid for by the faculty. Aiming for a doctorate and a comfy teaching position.
>>
File: 51+wdtocUyL._SY400_.jpg (26KB, 266x400px) Image search: [Google]
51+wdtocUyL._SY400_.jpg
26KB, 266x400px
Funeral Services master race
>>
>>25761935
I spent a semester on academic probation. I wrote a letter to the dean and also started smoking pot again. Once they let me back in I got straight As. Smoking weed helped me get my sleep and stress under control and I got my life back on track. Thanks marijuana.
>>
>>25761935
Same here.

I didn't give a fuck about school before though so I'll probably just kill myself. If I have to wageslave at a manual labor or retail position I'm ending it.
>>
>biology degree
>every relevant position needs 3 years experience, specific knowledge in that particular niche or you being an outright phd/manager who's in his 40s
>oh yeah, and theres 10 positions in the whole country, good luck!
>>
Bachelors in Economics at research university, going for my masters in macro economics at the same research university next year. Is it worth anything?
>>
File: 123.png (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
123.png
17KB, 300x300px
>>25761700
Not the person you're writing to, but
>bad school
Yes
>terrible socially
Yes
>no networking (see terrible socially)
Yes
>nothing else on resume (what did you just spend the last 4 years doing besides school?)
I've never worked a day in my life

I'm so fucked, I'm applying to internships but no one is responding. I'm starting to fake work experience, just basic shit like data entry at local places. Still in my 3rd year and no debt (parents are paying).
>>
>>25757921
I have a biology degree. It's somewhere between useless and semi-useful. I'm considering getting another degree, but in a different field. I just need to get a career going first so I can stop being so poor.
>>
Be a teacher then
>>
>>25762147
>robots doing a social job like teaching
>>
>>25762072

What degree are you thinking about?

I'm >>25760417 and >>25760569. I'm debating doing the same. Maybe going back for CS or some tech-related degree and do something in the biotech field. Just need to work for a year or so and save some money first.
>>
>>25761498

>20 on the MCAT

That's rough anon. Cant you just retake it though? I know med schools don't like it if you take it too many times but I know a bunch of people who took it twice and got into med school.
>>
>>25761920
only 65k? honestly thats a very reasonable living, especially if you are not in a expensive city. i lived in san jose, ca for 25k a year, and there are people poorer than me here. it depends on how low your standard of living is. i have internet, electricity, housing, food, and cell phone. pretty much all i spend money on.
>>
>when your highschool teacher told you to put archaeology as your major so you can get into uni and then change it
>when that was the major you wanted anyways
>>
>>25759783
>tfw I got a D in business 101

Not everyone can do business. It can be pretty boring.
>>
>>25760132
Librarians need a Masters in library science.
>>
>>25762243
My job pays for internet and full health care. I live alone and have fairly low expenses ($1600/mo all said and done), so it's not bad. I'm saving more than 50% of my take home pay. I just don't really care about anything.
>>
>>25760183
Correct. A "librarian" requires a MLS. However, there are other library jobs which require just a Bachelors or even a High School diploma. The BIG issue is your experience with customer service. Also, many of the libraries where I live only offer part-time positions (anywhere from 12 hours per week to 18 hours to 24 hours). If selected you may work in the YPL Department (kids under 18 years old), or the Circulation Department, or the Reference Department. As for me, I work in the YPL Department and my position is a Page (I shelve books) and I work 12 hours a week.
>>
File: 1354163023178.jpg (14KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1354163023178.jpg
14KB, 251x242px
>>25757921
I'm going for a history degree but thinking about switching to art. I guess I'm fucked either way so it shouldn't matter.
>>
>>25762195
I don't know. I am hoping that I can settle into a career first, but I have thought about: CS, business, accounting, clinical lab science/medical lab tech, MBA (if its possible), a foreign language, (bio)informatics, and (bio)statistics.
>>
>>25762350
Switch to Art history =)
>>
>>25762360
Oh and I have also thought about a degree in cognitive neuroscience, but that is probably the least-friendly when it comes to money-making potential.
>>
File: 1444587118918.jpg (19KB, 123x170px) Image search: [Google]
1444587118918.jpg
19KB, 123x170px
BROS I'm majoring in chemistry and I fucked up in the past and I have the ability to do it and if I choose to major in it I'm going in deep like no going back deep so should I do it or is chemistry fucked? I want to try and get into pharmacy or something later on but is chemistry a trap or no
>>
File: 1338312379700.png (55KB, 175x197px) Image search: [Google]
1338312379700.png
55KB, 175x197px
>>25761136

>I was majoring in CS
>but I can't do math

How does someone who cannot into math, end up thinking they can into programming in the first place?

I suppose it was an assumption that the educational institution would do it's job and instill expertise into the student but really, wasn't there a suspicion that if there was no affinity for one of the core technical subjects that there might be trouble down the work even if hard work brought a completed CS degree?
>>
>>25760876
There are a small number of schools which offer an Associate;s degree in Library Science. One school in particular is entirely on-line (Dona Ana Community College in New Mexico). As for the schools for a MLS...they must be accredited by the ALA. All of the Librarian jobs I have looked at require a MLS from an accredited university. Last bit of info to expand your search...there are 4 types of libraries: public library, academic library, school library, and special library. Let me know if you have any questions.
>>
>>25762495
I program as a hobby all the time and I don't use much more than basic algebra.
>>
>>25762518

I do to and can't remember using more than basic rithmatic, but that anon wants a full time career in programming so I assume if he is paid top dollar and has his own desk and dedicated job duties then there is a chance that some math intensive work will be dropped on his desk. What then?
>>
anyone /communications/ here? on track to get a public relations degree
>tfw just wanna write science fiction
>chose communications because I took an intro class and was the fuckin best at it
>solo carried two games of review jeapordy
>that was a year and a half ago
>currently wishing I had just balls'd up and gotten an English degree so I could do what I love wasting money at a state school instead of just burning that money
Why live
>>
>>25761176
Oh I'll have a degree probably barring I fuck something up. Just trying to get something under my belt besides school so I can actually work and do something.
>>
>>25762495
Had same issue. wanted to make computer games, program, hack, network admin, 1337, etc. Didn't realize that it took so much math.
>>
>>25759877
Got an Econ degree too with a similar GPA (3.1) and I'm having the same issue. I'm still waiting on the results from a recent interview but I'm not holding my breath,
>>
>>25762495
People do CS so they can get a good coding/programming job.

An important thing to remember is that a ton of boomers and decent amount of Gen Xers got these types of jobs without CS degrees.

People want a CS job, and understand that they now need a CS degree to get a programming/coding job, but enough people don't understand that they will be weeded out by the CS degree requirements.

The sad thing is that so many employers require educational credentials FAR beyond what the job requires. Many of the people that get these jobs will feel overqualified and/or not challenged while the people that didn't get them might have been good fits.
>>
>>25761598
Where did you go to college?
>>
>>25759398
ima pa major too. Im thinking about emphasising in city planning cuz my dads a civil engineer but i dont know i dont really care i dont know what else to do, inst working for the government a good gig? job security and benefits or something
>>
History grad here. My degree isn't worth the paper it's printed on, but I'm shit at math so STEM wasn't an option and I have no clue what I want to do with my life so I went with the one subject I mildly enjoy.
>>
>Be me
>24 years old
>last year of comp sci
>Can pass everything with ease because i actually know my shit
>I feel like i wasted the last 4 years of my life, achieved nothing
>Don't know what to do once i get this degree
Is this what it feels like to be a grown up?
>>
>>25762830
Political science and history double major here bro.

Same problem.

People like us shouldn't be allowed to waste time or money on a worthless education
>>
>>25763067
poli/his is useful, but you have to be willing to: teach, go into academia, or be a politician, and you gotta be able to talk to people for any sort of role in that. Not a robot job.
>>
>>25763061
>be me
>work student jobs at uni
>graduate
>think im moving up in the world
>year goes by
>cant get jobs
>become desperate for work
>resort to applying to shitty retail and restaurants
>everyone asking for work history and professional references
>feel ultra shitty because dont want anyone to know how far i have fallen
>deathly afraid that someone will find out
>>
> Canadian, graduate with BA Econ
> 6 months later find a job.
> End up with barely minimum wage financial retail wageslave job
> Work it for 3.5 years
> Get fired
> NEET for about a year
> Get a life insurance administrative job via nepotism, $19/hour
> Fuck it up, fired after 3 month probation
> NEET again, until temp. agency finds me a call centre contract job
> Work it for few months, contract ends sooner than expected
> Interview for actual f/t position at said call centre
> Don't get it
> Then luck strikes, get call for interview at insurance call centre due to prior stint with insurance
> Interview, add in call centre experience
> Get job, general insurance call centre work $28/hour now 2 years later

Went better than expected. Overcame social anxiety.
Fake it 'til you make it.

Btw only got the job as my trainer, and dude who gave a little say in the hiring process gave the OK for the supervisor to call me for phone interview because he went to same university I did.
>>
>>25757921
>turned down because the examples I provided from my shitty hourly jobs were not at the "level of complexity" require for the position.

That's terrible, and something I could see happening to me should I ever aim higher than min wage tier jobs. I dont even bother looking for college grad jobs. Most say entry level and only a BA/BS required, but they desire someone with an MA/MS and 5+ years experience.
>>
I got my CS degree but don't want to program as a career. It ain't fun. What do?

I was thinking web dev or IT. Or is there way to make programming fun? Or some niche of it that is enjoyable?
>>
>>25763167
Hardest part btw was bullshitting through the parts where I got fired and the periods of NEETdom in interviews.

Faking it was the key. Thank god you can practice that.

*queue psychopathy
>>
>>25763174
I get that from time to time. I have a bunch of student/work-study jobs >>25763167 and occasionally interviewers will ask me if I have any "real" work experience.
>>
>>25763212
What did you say when they asked about your NEETdom?
>>
>tfw accounting major

I don't hate it, but in no way whatsoever do I love it. I'm almost 30 though, and have worked hard manual labour all my life so it's nice just doing something that will land me a comfy desk job and a little respect. I honestly just can't wait for my life to go back to "making money" mode.

>every idiot in my class following the "C's get degrees meme"
>not realizing or too lazy to get the 3.5-4.0 needed to go corporate right out of school, speeding the CPA process

Other accounting bros... how is life once your finished school?
>>
>>25757921
Philosophy major here. A-am I gonna make it senpai?
>>
>>25763219
It really sucks that you need experience to get a job and you need a job to get the experience.

Prior to the job after I graduated, I only had work experience as a evening shift stocker at a grocery store.

I had that grocery job part time while studying I got the job when it was the era where you walked in with your resume, and gave the manager a firm handshake. Then I had an interview and got the job.

>>25763229
Unfortunately the real reason NEETdom was overruled was that was the job I got because my cousin referred me (nepotism). Only thing you can do is make up stuff that makes you look productive or spent your time not actually working but working on skills.
>>
>>25758410
Dunno why you'd plan on being unexceptional, anon
>>
>>25763244
my best buddy did well in school and did accounting.

what lies ahead if you get into a good top whatever firm, is CPA (which he did CGA but rules are more lax now) program where you work, study, and not sleep.

Good luck.

At least he worked hard and is the youngest senior manager to make it in the firm, and probably one of the highest earning out of my social circle.
>>
>>25763272
I just went to apply to the local grocery chain a couple of hours ago as a stocker. They required forklift cert, previous stocking experience, and previous retail experience. That was really confusing to me as I figured they were the entry-level place that warehouse folks got their experience at.
>>
>>25763244
My friend was unable to get an accounting job after graduation despite having a 3.8 GPA. It wasn't until four years later and a 4.0 GPA masters degree in accounting to get an accounting job. He also worked three years at HR Block for slave wages during that time.
>>
>>25763244
Im 20 so different age factor.
But I thought of getting a masters and a CPA. That way you can branch into private accounting where you help make financial decisions so thats a little more interesting? That or forensic accounting?
>>
File: 1448132901292.jpg (12KB, 218x195px) Image search: [Google]
1448132901292.jpg
12KB, 218x195px
>21 years old
>Majoring in the shittiest joke major possible (film)
>in the worst school in the West Coast (UCLA)
>no longer enjoy making, watching or even talking about films
>not at all creative
>already 60k in debt with 5 more quarters to go
>have never had a job or internship in my entire life
>have gone 2+ years now without having made a single friend here

All I do is go to class and go back to my apartment. I have to listen to music as often as possible, otherwise I immediately start thinking about how much I want to kill myself. It gets to the point that I can't even handle a 50 minute lecture because I start thinking about how my life is just a series of failures and that the only thing I have to look forward to is how much worse everything will get. I wish I was never born.
>>
>>25763109
>be a politician
I don't think a lot of politicians actually hold political science degrees.
With a political science degree you're more likely to end up as and advisory or lobbyist but even then you better also have a degree in economics or law.
I don't think political science alone will get you into politics, but as a political science major I would love to hear some examples.
>>
>>25763333
I'm not HR expert, but the hiring process is really random.

It should be the entry level place, but they will expect certain requirements they "need', and then extra things that they "want".

Get that forklift cert. so they don't have to wait for you to get it if hired.

The previous experience stuff, especially for entry level jobs is a "want".

It's just too bad there's going to be 50 other applicants with actual experience.

Either lie, fake it, etc. for the experience.

What I found most inspiring is that I faked it through the interview (most important), while the resume gets you the chance (2nd most important- luckily you can lie).

You need to prove to them you're not a sperg in the interview. Work experience implicitly proves it as you can hold down a job for whatever time, interacting with the boss, coworkers, customers, etc.
>>
>>25763403
Afaik, politicians tend to have law degrees.
>>
File: 1449561030144.webm (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1449561030144.webm
1MB, 320x240px
Cinema
I live in a third world country
What the hell was I thinking
Help
>>
>>25763402
>UCLA
>worst film school

Am I being baited? I thought UCLA was top-tier
>>
File: ishygddt.jpg (112KB, 1280x719px) Image search: [Google]
ishygddt.jpg
112KB, 1280x719px
>>25763402
>2016
>going to film school
You should've just gone to films instead.
>>
>>25763402
me tto my friend. I'm even worse, I'm not in america. here is no cinema.
What the hell am I going to do? Where will I work?
>>
>>25763437

What country is this and what is going on?
>>
File: ChoaAssHeartAttack.png (220KB, 455x299px) Image search: [Google]
ChoaAssHeartAttack.png
220KB, 455x299px
>>25763402
direct music videos obviously
>>
File: OY.png (217KB, 307x473px) Image search: [Google]
OY.png
217KB, 307x473px
>>25763444
>I thought UCLA was top-tier
It's a fucking joke. The professors don't teach, they just show us youtube videos and have us read instruction videos. That's assuming you manage to get a professor who actually knows how to speak English and not one of the fob Argentines they hired for quota reasons.
The staff is terrible, but the other students are even worse. They're just terrible people.
>>25763446
What's going on here?
Also the plebs in this major were unironically excited about seeing the new Cuckoldtino flick.
>>25763466
Film is over, it's all shit. I should have just learned 3D modeling since tasteless blockbuster shit is indistinguishable from video games nowadays, only that some video games actually manage to look decent, unlike said movies.
>>
File: aKzqzON_460sa_v1.gif (2MB, 307x222px) Image search: [Google]
aKzqzON_460sa_v1.gif
2MB, 307x222px
>>25763482
Brazil.
Please help... I don't wanna do a masters degree and then a doctors degree and become a university teacher and teach cinema to othe kids who will also not have a job.
Please send help. I'm not intelectual enough for this shit. My graduation is next month. My mom gave me six months to find a job or I'm being kicked out. What do I do... Send HELP
>>
File: aXbrvz6_460sa.gif (2MB, 244x241px) Image search: [Google]
aXbrvz6_460sa.gif
2MB, 244x241px
>>25763496
would you say your major is more theoretical or more about practice? what have you learnt in all those years? Do you guys actually studied history? What is that shit, a technicians course?
>>
>>25763506
get a job translating movies and tv shows from english to portugese
>>
I have doubts about universities there in america...
What is the difference between bachelor degree and graduation degree?
>>
>>25763548
There are tons of people doing that ALREADY
>>
File: 1427589864740.jpg (38KB, 500x588px) Image search: [Google]
1427589864740.jpg
38KB, 500x588px
>trade apprenticeship in the Carpenters Union
>Making decent money and helping to support my family
>tfw so far I'm just doing idiot work like putting up insulation
>if I try to look for companies that will put me on my tools I'll probably get too few hours and get kicked out the union or have my apprenticeship extended 6 months
>If I don't have the skills to stay eventually my pay by the hour will be too high for unskilled labor and no one will hire me
>Still want to become a cop since there's no sense of brotherhood or duty here, just a bunch of anti-social people who want to make money
>Construction is going to inevitably destroy my body and if I get a serious injury I won't be able to join the police

I'm trapped family. Trapped in a profession I don't like and probably won't last in to help my family.

I can say this isn't the worst feel in the world since I have a chance at doing something with my life but it still sucks considering I have severe anxiety and depression.

Yesterday I was on the verge of having a panic attack. Apparently I was grumbling to myself because some guy on site asked if I was alright.
>>
File: 1398305314224.jpg (59KB, 554x390px) Image search: [Google]
1398305314224.jpg
59KB, 554x390px
Guys, guys, guys!
Someone that can't into math has any chance of succeding in a STEM major, through lot's of practice and dedication, of course?
>>
>>25763532
It's mainly split into 3 categories if you look solely at the major and exclude GEs.
1st is historical classes. There are three classes that teach the history of American, European and Latin American+African+Asian film. There's also a class that focuses on the history of television, along with a mandatory theater course that can be about the history of theater.

2nd is thematic and critical analysis, which just amounts to having a gay jew from the Huffington post read you articles he wrote online along with an extremely pretentious textbook by bordwell and Thompson. They call it stylistics but it's really all pseudo-intellectual bullshit.

3rd is the "practical" segment, which is two classes a quarter that involve you actually making films. The cinematography class was actually just learning the technical operation of one specific 16mm film camera. The editing class was just how to use extremely basic features in the macintosh version of Adobe Premiere Pro. Then there's a photoshop class. All of the material covered and skills taught is something a medium-length youtube video would go over in more intimate detail.

Honestly, the film minor here is a much wiser idea for anyone interested in film who doesn't want to waste hundreds of thousands of dollars. That, or going to an actual art school and not some shitty UC.
>>
>>25763562
high school/GED -> associates -> bachelors -> masters -> doctorate/phd/md/do/etc.

certifications / certificates also

>>25763576
make youtube videos
>>
>>25763596
Well Biology only has calc 1 & calc 2, and statistics. Otherwise Psychology and Sociology might not have as much math as Biology.
>>
>>25763596
>through lot's of practice and dedication
If you put a lot of practice and determination into math then yes
>>
File: 1450745054477.gif (2MB, 340x266px) Image search: [Google]
1450745054477.gif
2MB, 340x266px
>>25763608
What is GED?
>>25763597
What is GEs?
What is a quarter?
What is a minor?
What is UC?
Why don't you speak my language?
>>
File: 1427150511791.gif (2MB, 350x300px) Image search: [Google]
1427150511791.gif
2MB, 350x300px
>24 years old
>BA in Computer Games Art
>at the end of my third year I realised how unbelievably competitive the industry is
>get a few interviews for art, graphic and product design postions
>don't get the job for any of them, even when it was down to me and one other guy for some of them
>lose all self confidence
>lose all confidence in my art
>stop working on my portfolio
>get shit job fixing computers
>can't get motivated to work on my art
>it is now two years later and I have spiraled downwards into total nihilism

It's probably not a totally worthless degree, but it is entirely dependent on being supported by a portfolio, which does not exist, and every time I start a new project I abandon it within days because I can't stop think how hopeless my situation is.

Wat do?
>>
>>25763636
GED is for people who quit high school before they graduate.
>>
>>25763597
>16mm
Wut, dude, what the fuck, nobody uses pelicule any more. It's only a fetishism for famous directors like cuckantino that are willingly to pay milions from their own money to finance the revelation process.
Also, adobe is more or less amateur tier. ou should have studied Avid or at least Final.
I don't if you're exagerating, but it does sound shitty. And my course is extremely shitty.
>>
File: 1450560868763.png (13KB, 667x645px) Image search: [Google]
1450560868763.png
13KB, 667x645px
>>25763641
>BA
what is BA?
>>
>>25763641
Obviously draw porn. People make a living from it.
>>
>>25763636
GE = General Education requirements. Classes that aren't related to your major that you still are required to take to graduate because the university wants your money.
A quarter is an 11 week period during which you take a set of classes. There are 4 quarters, one for each season.
Minors are effectively a mini-major, showing that you're interested in a subject but not enough to take it as your major. It's still notified on your degree and a good one can be notable in getting you hired.
UC = University of California, a name for a series of fucking terrible public universities.
hue
>>
>>25763402
I went to WSU, trust me you're not going to the worst school on the West Coast.
>>
>>25759317

go government. trust me, you do not want to work in private
>>
>>25763596
You might be able to scrape a pass in a biology related discapline but if you want to use it for anything worthwhile (aside from zookeeper or sslt) you need to have a firm grasp of things like calc abd basic statiatics
>>
>>25763678
What you mean 4 quarters? You mean 4 quarters in a year? Is that so? How long a single subject last? How many subjects you studied throughout the entire course? How long tha bachelor lasts?
>>
>>25763669
I forgot the reasoning the professor gave us behind having us learn 16mm, I just remember it was bullshit. And believe me, film is completely outdated now. Its resolution has already been surpassed, not to mention that analog projection ends up ruining films. Digital is just better overall.
The funny thing is everyone in high school knew that things like imovie, premiere and sony vegas were jokes. One of my editing professors who also worked as an actual editor on films even said that Hollywood is pretty much only using Avid now thanks to Adobe screwing over everybody with the subscription.
I should have just made a kickstarter for a video game and raked in the money or something.
>>
>>25763703
Heh, I almost went there. It was my 2nd or 3rd choice.
>>
File: kc green.jpg (146KB, 413x500px) Image search: [Google]
kc green.jpg
146KB, 413x500px
>>25759742
I'm getting my Master's MFA in English and I also have TESOL certification.

I did the literature because I like it and the tesol for the employability.

I also will have ~5 years of teaching experience by the time I finish my Master's. Hello golden ticket to wherever the fuck in the world I wanna go.
>>
File: 1450560247282.gif (127KB, 287x199px) Image search: [Google]
1450560247282.gif
127KB, 287x199px
>>25763715
>>25763634
>>25763619
Actually I was thinking about civil enginereeing.
Please tell me once and for all, a dumb person has a chance of making it through the calculus and algebras classes? Or I'm going to be expelled for dumbness?
>>
>>25763716
4 quarters since they have summer classes that are optional.
Otherwise, if you aren't taking summer classes then in one year you'll only take 3 quarters. It's a stupid naming system since it's not like semesters where you take two semesters a year and that's that.
A single subject is 11 weeks, 10 for classes and 1 week for finals.
The entire major is around 20 or so courses, meaning you'll have to take 3 or 4 classes per quarter to finish. The bachelor is designed to be 4 years total.
>>
>>25763759
Oh shit, civil engineering is brutal on the soul. A miscalculation could easily be the death of dozens. One major fuck up and you are banned for life too. Maybe you could target city planning / urban design or something instead. Then again, maybe you are good enough at math for civil engineering. Who knows?
>>
File: 1381758073889.gif (984KB, 416x234px) Image search: [Google]
1381758073889.gif
984KB, 416x234px
>>25763802
Really helpful, dude, really helpful!!!
>>
>>25757921
BA in Marketing and Sales. Noone even invited me to a job interview since I don't have any working experience in that sector yet, and there are simply way too many people with that degree. After 6 months of sending out tons of applications, I gave up and just decided to take whatever I can get.

Now I have a shitty, poorly paid job in a call center, where I get yelled at by customers on the phone everyday.
>>
>>25763759
CE is quite hardcore on the maths front.

Maybe the problem was bad maths teaching- is there a summer school or something you can take?
>>
>>25763244
How difficult is maths in an accounting degree? I've been bad at math ever since I was a kid because I was always a bit slow and the teachers never cared if I made progress or not and got bullied by the oher kids, so it got to the point where I'd cry before going to maths class and I was never able to overcome that fear. I enjoyed statistics thought. Should I forget doing anything in accounting since I have this mental blockage when it comes to math?
>>
>>25763860
>mfw my sister decided to pursue a Marketing degree

Confirms my belief that most people who chose this degree are people who can't be bothered to take the time do something difficult yet more worthwhile
>>
Communications.

Idgaf, fastest way to graduate, and like a business degree iit's enough to get your foot in the door doing some bullshit job, which is all I want
>>
>>25764014
>Confirms my belief that most people who chose this degree are people who can't be bothered to take the time do something difficult yet more worthwhile
I can't speak for other people, but that describes me pretty well. I was hoping that this is one of the few studies that might be easy enough so even I can do it, and apparently it was.

However, I didn't decide to go for it because I was lazy - it was more because of insecurity about my abilities and intelligence.
>>
Just finishing a physics degree here, but going to stay an extra year to do an MSc Computer Science. i think its a good combo to have and i'll actually be able to land a decent job afterwards.

>>25763596
depends, what do tou mean, cant into maths?

i got a D at A Level maths, but still went on to do a physics degree. i am in my final year now and averaging just over 70%. your maths will improve if you put the work in, but i partially attribute my success to the fact that the format of the exams is often predictable, and you can pass by memorising mathematical proofs even if you dont fully understand the steps.
>>
Journalism BA reporting in
Halfway through the 2nd year
Kill me now, m'senpaitachi
>>
>>25763677
I've been considering it, actually. Oh, and I don't draw, I make 3d models and texture them.
>>
>Psychology BSc
I genuinely really like psychology but all people talk about is the shit job prospects
I'm signing up to banking/human resource internships because I'm really not sure that I want to be in education for 7 years just to get paid as much as a private in the army
>>
>>25764520
> 7 years

a bachelor Psychology is 3 years, though?
>>
>>25757921
>twf studying european studies
>tfw your biggest hope of a career is in brussels
>tfw you hate the EU and want your country to leave

kill me. why did I choose this shit.
>>
>>25764404

Is it possible to 3D render a singer's face and body and then have her dance and then render that video and blur it a bit and make it out to be a "lost" performance from the 80s?
>>
Dont feel so bad brahs. You could be a failure with a """"""""good"""""""" degree. My brother is 9 months unemployed with a geological engineering degree. The oil and mining industries are awful right now and wont be getting better anytime soon so he's wasting his 20s.
>>
>>25764655
Yeah but without a PhD or a masters it's difficult to get into research/clinical psychology
>>
>>25757921
Teach English in Korea or Japan or Singapore or something. They'll eat that bullshit degree up.
>>
>>25757921
take your masters and teach hs
take your dpctorate and teach college
>>
>>25764868
And what will the people he's teaching do with their degrees? Teach other people?

How long can this sham economy go on?
>>
>tfw chemical engineering degree

cant help but be smug when i read all these nightmare stories
>>
>>25765075
That's mostly how the social sciences sustained themselves for the past 100 years or so.

So yeah, it can go on pretty fucking long.
>>
>>25764806
>tfw not allowed to teach english to japanese qts because I'm not a native
REEEEEE
>>
>>25764068
me too, brother. useless easy degrees forever
>>
>>25758915
i also quit drinking

hang in there anon
>>
>>25765148
Yeah but people with social science degrees could still get hired into regular corporate office jobs up until around 15 years ago, especially if they had some connections. This was also true of the non-engineering/non-IT science majors like Biology, Chem, etc.

Nowadays, they're pretty much relegated to doing minimum wage menial jobs.

The tuition rates have only gone up and up, and the relative value of the degrees have plummeted. Engineering and CS hasn't been spared from this either as more and more people gravitate towards the only fields that can "guarantee" stable employment.
>>
>>25763289

You're on fucking /r9k/ moron. Everyone here's unexceptional, including yourself.
>>
>>25763596
It really depends on how well you did in maths in grade school. Many STEM majors require calculus or statistics.
>>
File: 123565786.jpg (9KB, 188x350px) Image search: [Google]
123565786.jpg
9KB, 188x350px
>>25763583
You guys might think I have it alright but this is a high stress job. I don't mind the physical work but always having the threat of being fired and seeing people working 3 or 4 tones l times as fast as I do is soul crushing. I'm probably going to spend 4-5 years in this biz (if I even last that long) and I'll have a few injuries by then with a skillset that's essentially worthless. Then I'll need to go to college for some shit I'm probably gonna pass in and won't be able to use since I have no experience.

Don't fall for the trade meme unless you have a knack for it.
>>
>>25765099
I do this too

Are you /shitatmath/ too? I am and managed to make it to my third year. I do all my math prep right before the exams and forget how to do basic calc right after. Most of the rest is research and stuff.

I go to a pretty good university too despite this.

>tfw finally managed to get an internship at a decent company despite no experience ever
>>
>>25757921
You could make that work if you had actually tried in other areas. An English degree could easily get you good work in the media coupled with a lot of relevant extracurricular work experience. You're in your position because of you, not the degree you chose.
>>
Same here OP. I taught for a year, but to the vast majority of employers an English degree is equivalent to a GED.
>>
>>25758198
Did you apply to zoos? Zoos are fucking awesome. How'd it go for you? I could imagine it's really hard to get a job at one. The same people work there until they die.
>>
>>25758915
>>Called out sick monday to interview at a law firm for a data entry/receptionist/paralegal gig
>>Should receive a call or e-mail tomorrow with the results

Are you a woman? Because if not, you don't get the job.
>>
>>25759905
Give it to me straight senpai. I want to get a history degree, is it worth?
>>
>tfw shifting from biology to biotech/biochem

There's hope lads
>>
>>25767712
Can you read nigga? He went almost 3 years with nothing.
>>
>>25757921
I have a BA in Australian Indigenous Studies :)
>>
>Computer science degree
>Starting my own online business using skills I learned outside of school
>School isn't helping me with jack shit, just stupid shit I will never use and will forget

Can't wait to drop out.
>>
>>25759878
>some companies like IBM
>IBM
Why would you want to work for them? There's no job security (since they're constantly outsourcing), very few of their employees work on anything interesting, and compensation is below industry average.
>>
File: 1439776412186.png (152KB, 1387x805px) Image search: [Google]
1439776412186.png
152KB, 1387x805px
>>25763244

CPA here. I strongly recommend you sit for the test before you start working full time. If you fail it you have a lifetime of bitch work ahead of you.

As for the job, I work about two hours a day and f5 /r9k/ for the rest. Its pretty comfy.
>>
>>25757921

Why don't you get a job as a teacher or something?
>>
>Original intention was to go to college for Astrophysics
>Realized that that is a horrible, horrible idea
>Now degree plan is for Chemistry
>Want to switch to physics
>But also want to study language

holy fuck, guys, this indecision has left me at 23 without even my associates at this point. How fucked am I and what should I do?
>>
>>25763244
>>25763302
>>25763374
>>25763384
>>25763952
>>25767968
question for all of you.

I am doing accounting as well but my GPA is terribad. If I get lets say about a 2.5 GPA what are my chances of landing a job?

I'm shit at studying and heard the CPA test is hard, so will that lower my chances if I don't take it?
>>
>>25760900
>65k annuall
He could make double that at google if he was really that good
>>
>>25768029
I'm no accountant, but you have to take it to get a legit accounting job. Also most employers aren't going to want your actual transcript (but some do so try your best)
>>
>>25767999
Become a stripper/prostitute
>>
>>25768042
what should I aim for, studying is really stressful for me as a degenerate who sucks at life...
>>
>>25768058
Stripper/prostitute
>>
>>25757921

Philosophy here
>>
I'll be studying biochemistry this year and this thread has eased my mind about employment a little bit.
>>
Is an English lit degree really pointless? I'm doing mine next year :/
>>
>>25767712
Go ahead, but learn something practical as well. Get certified or minor in something skillful.
>>
>>25768058
You can be a book-keeper or manage payroll, probably even a personal banker with a bachelors (or even an associates) in accounting.

For real accounting job like taxes, auditing, etc, you'll need that CPA which requires a masters.
>>
>got pol sci degree
>spent 18 months underemployed
>did unpaid stuff
>now make 63 k in a gov job

It can be done guys
>>
>>25757921
>>BA in English Literature (YES, YES I KNOW)
In fairness, it's not ENTIRELY your fault. Our education system is the first of many tools society uses to propagandize us into utter submission. You get told that you can be a Fairy Unicorn when you grow up if darnit, you just believe in yourself. This horseshit continues on even in college if you're in the wrong major or field and only hear lectures about white privilege all day. By the time the real world hits you like a ton of bricks, it's too late.
>>
>>25768564
Unless you're going to be a writer or teacher, yes. Do you see any private industry or large government demand for english literature experts?
>>
What do i do if my resume is completely emtpy. Do i just bs? Wouldnt they call the reference numbers required on the application?
>>
>>25763180
Same boat as u bro, majoring in cs. The worst part is i see these people who program as a hobby and they love it. They spend hours and hours coding, reading programming books and i just dont feel the same about CS as them.
>>
>>25768995
I just did some unpaid stuff and blew it out of proportion

I also bsd a lot
>>
File: feel fuy eyes closed.gif (8KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
feel fuy eyes closed.gif
8KB, 645x773px
>>25764068
I want this too but i want money also, like 70k or something. I just want an easy comfy job, curse you CS
>>
>>25761418
Really? That sounds like it'd be good.
>>
>came into university pursuing political science
>changed it to history+education
I'm feeling just fine. Make whatever jokes you want about being a high school teacher but I get
>summers off
>a winter break that is more than just Christmas and New Year
>the biggest chance of being the ~cool teacher~
And assuming I'm able to weasel my way to teach at my old high school which is in a cushy as fuck wealthy area I will be just fine financially.
>>
>>25757921
Who here /failure/
>Doing a degree in business
>Finish everything to transfer in 1.5 years w/ a 4.0
>Took 4+19+3+18 credits in summer+fall+spring intersession then spring
>Decide business is boring and switch to engineering
>Haven't taken a math class in 3 years and never taken a physics course in my life
>Figure I'd give it the same treatment as my previous GE and business courses
>Get placed into Calc 1 and take some programming courses. Get dropped from Calc 1 for nonattendance despite it being easy af, get depressed and stop going to my programming course too. An entire semester wasted and I got a F in C++ for bailing out without dropping
>Next semester, take Calc 1 and attend the bare minimum, get a C.
>Next semester, take Calc 2 + Physics 185, get A's.
>Take Calc 3 during the summer, get A's.
>Now I'm now at the 3.5th year in CC when I was supposed to transfer out ages ago. Going to take Linear Alg, Physics 280/285, and retake my C++ programming course before transferring.

Mfw my GPA tanked and I'll have to go to the local state university. And it'll probably take 2-3 years for me to finish my remaining engineering courses.

Mfw it'll take me 5.5-6.5 years to finish my Bachelor's.

I'm literally going to be the oldest graduating person in my classes at 23/24 or so. Everyone I know is going to be graduating at 21 or 22

This is like the equivalent of being held back for two years
>>
>>25758372
Thank god, I switched to a Business Administration degree. I was going for sound recording and technology, to become a producer, but I failed my only needed course. I also talked with the other students and listened to their productions, they were in another fucking level. Then I discovered that most of them were well off and either owned a FUCKING Studio or knew someone who did. I was just some poor kid who wanted to make music and help others produce music for a living, I failed fundamentals. I could only imagine how badly I'd do if I took theory.

I still plan on being a producer, I'm just taking a different route.
>>
>>25757921
I knew so many people in the army with a degree in English, English Lit, Communications, or Sociology it was HILARIOUS!
>>
File: 1430755840141.jpg (39KB, 500x216px) Image search: [Google]
1430755840141.jpg
39KB, 500x216px
I have a BA in political science from the University of Washington.

But, I'm an airline pilot. Major airlines require a bachelor's degree along with your pilot licenses, doesn't matter what area of study it's in. So my useless degree isn't completely useless.
>>
File: image.gif (551KB, 232x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
551KB, 232x500px
Anybody in the trades here? I'm almost done with welding school, and may plan to continue on and get a machining diploma.
>>
File: kid_eating_apple.jpg (31KB, 450x370px) Image search: [Google]
kid_eating_apple.jpg
31KB, 450x370px
>>25764780
I can hear all the petroleum engineers scream in a symphony of pain with the geo and chem engineers.

>Being a Mech. Eng, getting jobs thrown at you
>>
>>25759583
How do people manage to not find jobs studying CS? I'm CS and everyone in my major that I know have had $30+/hr internships, and full time jobs are only gonna pay more.
>>
File: mathphd.jpg (34KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
mathphd.jpg
34KB, 640x427px
>math PhD
>any job I want
>300k starting
Jokes on all of you.
>>
>BS in business/economics from top ranked state uni
>graduated 6mo ago
>make $15/hr designing/managing websites and databases

i fucked myself by not making any connections. i'm so lucky i was always on the pc in high school and learned how to code html, css, and php. i never would have gotten a job otherwise probably.

DONT GET A GENERALIZED DEGREE IF YOU'RE AN INTROVERT AND DON'T HAVE CONNECTIONS
>>
>>25764223
French journalist here.
I struggle, I stay strong, it's hard but I know I'm going to make it if I'm resilient enough.
Never give up man.
>>
>>25759743
hired for what???
>>
>>25757921
>be in a lucrative web development major
>decide to switch out because i hate all the redditers and retarded /v/b/ kiddies
>switch to liberal major where i'm literally the only dude there half the time even though i'm at a tech school
>all my friends that stayed are getting good job offers/high paying internships
>some even have GFs
>i'm still a single virgin
>everyone probably thinks i'm gay because i'm hanging out with girls all the time
>spend most of my free time hanging out at a museum i use to internship at talking with my friends who work there
I'm mean i'm happy but I have 0 job prospects unless I do something unrelated or go to grad school, both of which i'm looking at.
>either have to spend 20k to go to gradschool
>but its the best gradschool for my field and has guaranteed job placement
>or i try to start a brewery with my professor
honestly tearing me up at which i decide to do
>inb4 normie
>22 year old virgin
>extreme body issues because I use to be fat
>have had multiple spinal surgeries so I'm not a hunch back
>probably a 6/10 at best
>>
>>25761700
what prospects???
>>
STEM master race reporting in

Spent most of my undergraduate life doing research in labs

Fucked up my GPA, but 5 research publications with my name in it made me hot shit
>>
>>25767712
I have a degree similar to a history degree, and I pretty much have to go to grad school to get a good job. But once I do I'll be doing great because I'll be one of like 5 other guys applying for jobs in the field (Museum Studies), so all of the old sexist curators will favor me. And even the younger women will because they're too catty to like each other girls.

But if you do go History, get a like business minor or double major or something, and then apply for larger corporations. A lot of them need/want a historian for their business.
>>
>>25760132
I work in right now, you barely need any qualifications to get a job at a university library. Lit degree would be okay, but something more technical might be better that can show you're good with dealing lots of information.

Side note, librarians have one of the highest levels of stress of any job due to how little actual tangible progress you make
>>
>>25769396
>I'm literally going to be the oldest graduating person in my classes at 23/24 or so. Everyone I know is going to be graduating at 21 or 22
No there are always a few people that are older. My friend got his second bachelor's at 31. I got my first at 29. My brother is working on his in his late 20s.

>>25769438
Owning a studio doesn't mean much. Another one of my friends has a studio at his house. It's basically a computer + sound setup.
>>
File: 1432846614254.png (88KB, 498x246px) Image search: [Google]
1432846614254.png
88KB, 498x246px
>Marketing and Management second year
>surrounded entirely by fucking normies, not even the nice kind
>none of my housemates just want to play vidya, they want to fuck, drink and party
>only entered it because it's the only thing I'm good at outside of film and english
>destined to get a menial office job where I most likely kill myself before 40
>have to go in September for a year-long placement job

I'm in a special kind of hell and the worst part is that it's all my fault.
>>
>>25769815
>tfw 4th year geological engineering

ENDLESS SUFFERING
>>
I like this word filter desu senpai
>>
>>25758410
>/r9k/ not being populated by Autistic niggers
>pick none
"Not being a joke" refers to the difficulty of the degree. If it was a Psychology (especially Evolutionary) or Gender Studies, there would be very few standards. For music, you have to be fucking good at music. It's not a statement on whether or not being good at music will get you a job, it's a statement on the difficulty of the degree.
>>
>>25759317
And did u even bother to get your professional accountant?
go for chartered.
Every retard including me gets an accounting degree nowadays, getting a level higher only some do though.
>>
>>25772034

>none of my housemates just want to play vidya, they want to fuck, drink and party

Anon, join the video game soceity.

At least give it a shot, if you wanna find people who play vidya, it's your best bet to make friends.

Its what I did, and found a great group of guys who all love the same vidya I do, same anime, and same dank memes.
>>
>>25769836
>everyone in my major
You mean rice and curries.

>EE
>chink TA tells me how easy it is being American, because of the scholarships
>literally out of ten my TAs, only two have been American
>one of my five teachers last semester was an American
>previous semester, only American teachers were 101-type teachers
>4rd year, 1/4 my classmates are foreigners that just study together
>another 1/2-3/4 are just normalfags that copy from each other
>I actually believed STEM would have fewer normalfags
>>
>>25772392
Anon, THERE IS NO VIDEO GAME SOCIETY

THERE ARE ONLY "EXCLUSIVE" WARHAMMER FUCKCLUBS

THERE IS NO ESCAPE
>>
Got a AA in "Culture, Science, and Technology" at community.

It is normal used to transfer to a 4 year rather then a stand alone since it is super general, but I ran out of money and my grades weren't great so I could not transfer to something more specialized.

That plus my complete lack of over the table work exp and total lack of contacts means I can't even get a job flipping burgers or cleaning floors.

So NEET life, but not by choice.
Maybe one day I will actually be able to support my self, but it feels like such a long shot at this point.

Should have went to trade school and learn welding or something.
>>
>>25772425

Then try and make the club.

Just bring Smash so it'd be popular, and try and talk to some other guys about vidya and see if it clicks.

Or try the anime soc. If there is one.
>>
>>25772464
>try and make the club

Harder than it sounds. Our students society thing is kind of shit and the hoops you have to go to get a club running are terrible. I honestly don't have any time or motivation for it.

There's no anime society either, when I said surrounded by normies I meant it. Britain's much worse for a robot than America since we're much, MUCH rarer here.
>>
anxiety, panic attacks, and depression are ruining all my chances

My plan right now is to live of the dosh I get as a student for the next two years and then kill myself
>>
You guys complaining about your degree and here i am who can't even pass my 1st year in uni which is supposed to be extremely easy.
Guess my below average iq ain't going to get me anywhere.
>>
>>25772501

>Britain's much worse for a robot than America since we're much, MUCH rarer here.

Funny, I go to uni in Britian as well.

I was surrounded by normies as well, but surprisingly the vidya society was a normie free zone. Everyone there even the grills have a good taste in vidya and anime. One of guys I hang out with even shared the same favourite game I did.

Where do you go anyhow?
>>
>>25763061
You're probably just Autistic m8.
>have buddy who got a high-gpa MS in AI and minor Comp Sci
>finished in 5.5 years
>little debt because he kept getting shittons of scholarships just handed to him
>obese manchild lolicon NEET, literally plays video games all day, and has, every day since he was in high school or earlier and never worked
>>
>>25772639
Universities are complete shit. Don't think you'll have an easy go unless you're copying from your normie friends.

I got my AS from a community college, where the teachers actually knew your name, you could talk to them, homework was graded very little and was for your education and review, not for them to have some digits to put down on your slave record. Teachers even graded on in-class performance on regular quizzes and tests instead of all homework and three tests. Uni has been absolute trash. Teachers can't give two fucks, the assignments are twice as long and yet worse at educating, teacher literally covers a topic AFTER we handed in the homework with twice the work of the normal uni assignment.
>>
>>25772646
Portsmouth m8
>one quick google search reveals there actually is one

Why the fuck did I miss it all this time? Still, it's way too late to go now really.
>>
>>25772769
I went to community college and uni. While community college was mostly classes of 20-30 students, most of my classes in my uni were like that too. Only a handful of classes had 100+ students in an auditorium.
>>
>>25772781

Hey, give it a shot. You might as well go once, and just see.
>>
>>25757921
In the UK, I advise going for military as an officer, if you have the motive that is, they'll be able ot tell if your actions are a last resort...
>>
>>25772404
It's true though. Ever since my chink lab partner got his PR he's been grabbing scholarships left and right and he's only a B student.
>>
>>25772225
You still have fracking and mining for gold/gems in Africa!
>>
>>25760715
>>25760716
>being forced into degrees I dont like
>degree or no degree im destined for wage slavery
Suicide truly is inevitable, isn't it?
>>
>tfw going for graphic design degree
I wish I knew what the hell to do besides wasting time for this
>>
>>25768145
Fuck man. The only useful thing I can see that being for is if you're going for law school.
>>
>>25773822
No anon we really fucking don't
>>
>>25767985

Teaching is most definitely -not- for me.I have terrible public speaking skills and an awkward stammer. Plus I don't think I'd have the patience to deal with high school students.
>>
BS biochemistry
>>
>tfw 28 year old oilfield tradie, in first year uni

I think the years of crude humour and shop talk destroyed my friendly small-talk skills with classmates. Just trying to cut out the excessive swearing is a bit of a culture shock, it's no longer acceptable to call someone a fucking fuck... which is basically my favorite thing to do.

Thankfully there's another guy in his 30s who also left the oil patch in some of my classes, so we look bad together.
>>
>going to school for IT
>in community college, graduating and going to a state Uni for another two years to get my bachelors
>really wanted to get English degree at other liberal arts college, and got accepted, but decided that I wanted to have a job after college
>feel like I sold out
I....I'll be happy I did later, r-right?
>>
>Want to do CS, because Highschool Programming classes were fun. Baby shit as far as actual programming is concerned
>Do incredibly mediocre on my Math ACT section, so I can't get into CS because it's engeenering.
>Have no idea what to do, currently doing accounting because that's what my mom did and she isn't a math wiz either.
>really don't want to though
>I'm still in my first year, I'll pretty much be behind even if I do start gearing towards CS.
>can't afford 5 years of schoiol
>trying to motivate myself to self teach, but think it's going to be fruitless since everyone is getting CS degrees
I fucking hate University, but I'm probably too soft, flabby, and talentless to do well in trade school. I wonder if just taking a shit ton of CS classes when and where I can would make up for not having a degree in it?
>>
>Civil eng in a shit uni
>wanted mechatronics but it gives no jobs and I couldn't get into a uni that gives the course
>want to be a pianist but will never get good enough at piano to earn money playing
I hope my civ eng degree will give me a good job so I won't kill myself in the next years
>>
>Acting major with art history minor
>Thinking of getting a Masters in acting
>TFW just want to act and entertain rich people so i can pay my bills
>>
>>25774290
>oilfield
>curde humour
HUEHUEHUEHUE
>>
>>25774391
i got a job doing web design with a degree in business. just make some websites and shwo the employer and you can get a job

try http://w3schools.com/

learn html, css, php, javascript, and bootstrap in that order. also become familiar with mysql
>>
>>25773963
So... What are all you geo.eng gonna do? Collect rocks?
>>
>tfw maths degree from shitty metropolitan uni
>only 2.2 and BSc

And I've applied for four jobs and been offered them all.

Start at somewhere shit for 6months to 2 years that has progression. $20k PA is livable money and most importantly it's work experience for your CV
>>
Is there a degree that isn't useless? I have no idea what to study. I seriously doubt I can get more than a bachelors, I'll consider myself lucky if I don't drop out of that.
>>
File: feelme.png (9KB, 338x339px) Image search: [Google]
feelme.png
9KB, 338x339px
>Have a degree in video game design
>Unemployed
>Brother is a plumber
>He makes lots of money and always bullies me when he visits along with my dad who is a builder
>Always making jokes about offering me jobs
>brother says shit like 'my plumbing firm needs someone to fix Solid Snakes toilet, you better send in a CV'
>dad doesn't know about videogames
>is less subtle and just says shit like 'anon, today I was building a house and we realised we had to put in a room for a lonely faggot to play videogames all day, you want to design for us?'
>tfw I am the joke of the family
>when I get a job interview and ask for advise dad doesn't help, just tells me not to start beeping

I am a failure
>>
>>25776375
Computer/Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, or some economics shit.
>>
>Double major in journalism and philosophy
>Minor in business administration

I'm fucked aren't I
>>
File: 1451178452883.jpg (431KB, 1144x2154px) Image search: [Google]
1451178452883.jpg
431KB, 1144x2154px
Is the oil and gas industry really going down the shutter like people say?

If I had a degree in petroleum engineering, and I could speak arabic, would I be more marketable?
>>
>>25776466
Your dad sounds based 10/10 would drink a beer with
>>
>>25770927
What the fuck do these words mean? I'm studying History here in the UK, probably gonna do a teaching course for a year after, teaching has always been an interest of mine and i'm good with kids.

Hopefully i'll be okay.
>>
I have a math degree and a masters
>>
>>25776771
Why do you think UAE have started to focus on tourism?
And starting war against Israel and Iraq/Iran.
>>
>>25776375
Math, Computer Science, Engineering, Accounting, Finance are the go-to "I want a job with a decent salary after graduating" degrees.

Psychology, Business, Biology, Medical and such are the "Can be useful with commitment" degrees.

English, History, Music, Philosophy are personal enrichment degrees. Not in demand for employment.

Hope that helps.
>>
>>25777308
it also depends on what uni you attend. i have two friends who recently graduated from cambridge with bachelor degrees in philosphy. both of them landed jobs earning $65k after graduation.
>>
>>25763583

Stick with it m8, you're an apprentice it's supposed to be shit, get qual'd, move to a city you like and get treated like a proper employee
>>
>>25777049
i don't have a job though.
XXXXXXXXEUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAA
>>
File: tfw1452815612454.jpg (52KB, 458x481px) Image search: [Google]
tfw1452815612454.jpg
52KB, 458x481px
film/video production/directing/writing master masterrace here without contacts or money to buy my own camera/editing PC.

..just..
>>
File: 1426224626640.png (388KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1426224626640.png
388KB, 499x499px
>biochemistry
i work a shitty job outside my field
fuck it all
>>
>>25770205

Man I am jealous. I'm thinking about getting a Masters in some field of mathematics, or trying to, I have a pol sci. degree and not much experience in maths...
>>
>>25777442
what jobs are these?
>>
>>25776466

m8 why not go and work with your brother?
>>
>>25777547
it's a /sci/ meme, he doesn't really have one.

I'm >>25777049
>>
>>25777578
one is in management consulting and the other in legal consulting.
>>
>>25758915
Tell me more about this. How does one succeed with that degree at all?
>>
File: 1430314535823.jpg (32KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1430314535823.jpg
32KB, 1280x720px
>currently doing a degree with good career prospects
>live in Scotland and get tuition paid for me
>mfw reading about americucks struggling to afford it
>>
>>25759398
Right now my plan is getting a BA in Law in society or PolSci then go to a masters program in public administration with a focus on public policy. Is this a terrible idea? Can I make it work. And would it be better if I went into the masters focus in non-profit and large company leadership?
>>
I wish someone would reply to me
>>
>>25776466
>video game design

I pity you, but on some level am glad retards like you exist.

You don't need a degree to design video games, I bet your plumber brother is just as good at designing video games as you are.
>>
i got a degree in multimedia just wanted a degree to look good but not a whole lot. now i work at a insurance company but got in a car accident so now work just rehab
>>
>tfw archaeology
>don't even want a job

I'm saving up the money the government gives me (yurop) so that after my degree I can travel and eventually off myself
>>
>>25757921
>Should I just give up civilian life and join the military? Would having a degree at all mean anything in there?
Yeah you can become a fucking officer

Or enlist and get e-4
>>
>Bachelor of Music - Guitar
>Master's Degree in Flamenco
>paco played my guitar once

I don't care about money, I only care about play guitar everyday, 80,000 USD annually after the taxes is fine for a lonely single man like me.
>>
>>25776466
at the induction for my department a woman gave a talk on employability and straight up said to the game design students "yeah you're really gonna struggle to get a job" lol
>>
>>25767712
A history degree is fine...
If you want to work government.

There is literally no other hope unless you want to get a masters/doctorates and teach
>>
>>25763435
It's all about being involved no matter the degree. You need to get into local scene
>>
>>25777032
Get a degree in education then with, not history. Knowing history and being a good educator are entirely different things.
>>
>>25768713
What can I do as a student now
>>
>>25769769
Fuck that is literally where I am going and what my degree is. I hope I don't fuck up like you
>>
>>25757921
I have a BA in English and I have an entry-level web development job making about $50k. It's not amazing but it's also not being a fucking loser like you.

Your problem is not your degree, your problem is that you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>25778509
Seattle sucks.
Seattle is cool.
>>
>>25769396
I'm 25 and a Junior, spent about 6 years at CC. I know other juniors who are 30+ so cry me a fucking river.
>>
>>25778295
I want to specifically teach History only. For that you need a History degree. Or maybe i'll just do Primary School, I dunno yet.
>>
>>25757921
comps sci can't wait to be homeless hehe
>>
>>25757921
bachelors in math. 3.8 gpa, no internships though.

i make $17/hour working manual labor in a factory. if i wasnt going back to school for something useful (masters in accounting) id probably either join the military or just kill myself.

math is a worthless degree unless it's paired with something useful e.g. double major in engineering or comp sci.
>>
>>25779742
>math is a worthless degree
>literally one of only two degrees better for programming jobs than a CS degree
>>
>>25779742
>makes $17/hr
>gets to exercise the whole time

where did u get a job like that?
>>
>tfw you didn't realize until junior year of uni that your grades actually matter and you need them to get an internship and by then it was too late to turn your GPA around
Every day I regret how much I wasted college. Planning to go to grad school this year and I really hope I can motivate myself to actually make the most of the opportunity.
>>
>>25772441
>That plus my complete lack of over the table work exp and total lack of contacts means I can't even get a job flipping burgers or cleaning floors.

That's pretty rough.
How does somebody even dig themselves out of that hole when they can't even get the shittiest of jobs?
>>
I got my degree in exercise science/kinesiology from a pretty good school (a UC in California)

>tfw had planned to go to physical therapy school even from high school
>be miserable pathetic worthless human scum robot throughout college, friendless, permavirgin, even though I lived in a dorm, had a campus job, etc
>graduate with mediocre GPA (3.2) because my life was so shit, average for PT school is like 3.6 or above, so I probably won't even get in
>realize that I don't even want to go to PT school because undergrad was already stressful and miserable so 3 years of even more intense and competitive classes and students will be even more pressure, not to mention the insane amounts of loans
>and most of all, the fact that I will surely as big of a loser after school as I would be without school

No idea what to do now. This degree is basically taken only by people wanting to go to physical therapy or medical school or something. Maybe I'll just become a PT assistant
>>
>>25777691
This is my plan with my political science degree
>Commission as an officer
>Go into intelligence
>Serve mandatory 4 years, if I like military life, go career
>If I don't like military life, I'll have no problem working for a private or federal intelligence agency
>>
>>25777771
Won't it suck not getting a job because because every desi is more qualified than you?
>>
>>25781491
Let me guess, Davis?
>>
>>25781522
Why do you guess that?
>>
>>25781558
That's where I went. I don't know about the exercise science program specifically, but I know Davis is known for its Biology and Nutrition programs so I imagine exercise science is big there too.
>>
>>25781642
Yeah but I'm sure you went for engineering
>>
>>25781663
Nah, I was economics because I'm a retard who went to college without any idea of what I wanted to do.
>>
>>25781522
Yeah, that's where I went

It's too bad because it was a really cool major with some cool professors but I was too aspie to get to know them, or to really know my classmates most of whom were normies.
>>
>>25757921
>psych degree because it's interesting
>certificate in software dev
>got a QA job

meh.
>>
>>25781663
I want to transfer to Davis for Chemical Engineering... is it bad or something?
>>
>>25781788
Yeah, I wasted most of my academic opportunities too unfortunately.
Even still, I did really enjoy the school in general. I actually met a guy on /jp/ that I ended up rooming with there for 4 years, so that was interesting.

>>25781867
I wasn't in engineering myself but I never heard any complaints about their engineering program and I'm pretty sure all my acquaintances who did engineering had no trouble getting jobs.
>>
>>25781937
What did you enjoy about the school? It would have been a cool school if I wasn't a complete fucking aspie
>>
File: 1452335918769.png (8KB, 261x359px) Image search: [Google]
1452335918769.png
8KB, 261x359px
Did Public Administration, because I wanted to be a bureaucrat. Now I'm working for a few dollars above minimum wage as an office clerk
>>
>>25781988
I'm pretty aspie too, I actually ended up meeting a lot of cool people at the anime club. Most of the people there were as retarded as you'd expect but there was a decent sized group of people who were both well-adjusted and had pretty good taste.

It also helped that I was in Cuarto freshman year and happened to be in a suite with some normies who ended up being really cool and friendly, so I started with a group of friends without needing to work for it.
>>
>>25782094
>tfw also lived in cuarto
>tfw one of our roommates was the floor RA
>tfw my roommate never showed up
>another roommate was on his own out there
>the final roommate took a liking to me and basically led me to meeting everyone i met (lived with him in an apartment sophomore year, got campus job through one of those apartment roommates where i got my roommates the final 2 years)

>tfw it seemed like everyone in cuarto was always best friends with their suitemates and always eating with them and doing shit with them and i was pretty much just always alone
>>
>Double major in Criminal Justice and Poli Sci
Glad to know I've wasted 3.5, going on 4, years.
>>
>>25782184
Yeah, I definitely lucked out with my suitemates, I had no idea how to make friends on my own and would have probably also been alone otherwise.

The /jp/ guy I roomed with was also in Cuarto.
>go to DC for dinner one night
>hear what sounds like Touhou playing on the speakers
>don't believe it at first but keep listening and it definitely is
>go back to dorm planning to shitpost about it on /jp/
>see thread already up about someone hearing Touhou music in their dining hall
>talk to the guy, end up IMing, and then meeting for lunch next day
>end up rooming for next 4 years
>>
>>25777547

Math doesn't actually pay 300k, and the courses will shred your butthole if you dive in as a novice.
>>
>>25757921
I have a comp Sci degree and I ended up in a fucking trench in the middle of nowhere for 12 months.
>>
>>25774386
Absolutely. Having a job, especially one in IT, is fantastic in your 20's and 30's. You should be able to make enough by your late 30's to go back to school again if you don't have more than 2 kids. That and probably have a decent house and a nice car. IT is a good move.

English degrees are retarded, liberal arts colleges are even more retarded. You made the good choice, anon. Find happiness outside of work.
>>
>>25776466
>have a degree in 3d animation
>40k still in debt despite paying for 5+ years on it so far
>brother works at a Hooters clone
>sells weed
>has more than 40k
>5 years younger than me, banging hot hooters sluts
>living on his own while i live with my parents to survive
>>
File: kojima-main.jpg (152KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
kojima-main.jpg
152KB, 700x500px
>Finance degree
>Father was corporate level for an investment firm
>mfw he's already setting me up for internships
>mfw investment banking analyst out of college
>mfw 100k starting
>>
>>25777789

Unless you like gubbment, don't waste your fucking time. Also, "law in society" and PolSci will be almost useless for public admin; focus on finance or accounting instead and then do a master's in public administration.
Thread posts: 396
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.