[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Graduating hs this year. I did well enough to go to uni and will

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: stem.jpg (56KB, 399x250px) Image search: [Google]
stem.jpg
56KB, 399x250px
Graduating hs this year. I did well enough to go to uni and will probably go into stem. Someone explain the "STEM meme" to me? I just want to know what I'm getting into. Is stem, math in particular, too much of a normie field for a robot to go into?
>>
it's a good field but oversaturated
don't know about others, but i graduated with a PhD in Pure Mathematics and am doing very well
options are flexible if you know how to speak or can prove your worth
>>
Math is a great field, not nearly as many normies as other areas, and most jobs will be well-paying upon graduation.

The above anon mentioned oversaturation, but that hasn't been the case in my experience (granted its only a bachelors).
>>
>>25622979
I'm Math and Econ and I want to do a PhD. Do you have to get a Masters or can you go straight to a doctorate?
>>
>>25622979
Depends what you go into.

Engineering for example, depending on the field is getting oversaturated now. If you dont have any experience, or dont take a co-op/internship in University you're fucked.
>>
>>25622833
mechatronics student here
my group is full of normies and a few total robots
even though this is the most elite mechatronics department in poland, we have the highest normie accumulation out of all
>>
>>25623186
looking to build yourself a waifu?
>>
anyones thoughts on economics?
>>
>>25622833
OP, graduated last may from a top school. Majored in biomed engineering and applied math. Advice I wish someone gave me when I was starting- go online or go to your college's job board. Look at the jobs you would like to have. See what skills they require, learn those things.
>>
>>25622833

Make sure you look up employment projections before picking a line of work, and fully understand what amount of schooling is necessary to get hired in your field.

For instance, a BS in biology without taking molecular bio is basically the same thing as a BS in gender studies. I ended up getting certified to teach because of it, and even though every day isn't great, it's alright. I may get a master's in education, or I may go to school for engineering, since that's what I teach, and I've learned quite a bit in order to teach the subject.
Basically:

Do your research. Make sure the field you're studying is going to have a need for new hires.

Set a plan.

Have at least two backup plans.

Ensure you're networking and building contacts while in school. Kiss your professor's asses.

Get internships or student work in your department if possible.

When you're about to graduate, call upon ALL THE RESOURCES YOU'VE BUILT UP in order to secure yourself a job upon graduating.
>>
>>25623254
Econ from a top 10 or 20 program/school, plus internships, plus good grades -> great choice.

Econ from mediocre state school, average grades, average work experience -> another soft skills person who doesn't really know how to do anything useful.
>>
I'm doing math and last summer I did an internship at a HFT-firm doing good so will most likely go work there after I got my degree.

You will make nasty money and take your revenge on the normalfag society. Like ridiculous amounts of money. You need to be smart though and not just think you're smart, are you actually smart? Have you done calculus? Unless you passed calculus with no effort don't even bother.
>>
>>25623324
How competitive is it to get a job in quant finance? I'm thinking of making a switch to algo trading. Currently working as a data scientist in consulting.
>>
Lads what can I do with a degree in a bio science? Like biochem or biomed science?
>>
>>25623324
OP here. Passed Calc 1 with very little effort, currently in calc 2. It's a bit harder but I'm maintaining an A average.
>>
It's probably the best thing to study in college if you're looking for a direct return on your investment.
From an engineering point of view in the beginning of your career, you wont be out of work long if you learn problem solving more than worrying about getting super specialized.
Somewhere around your Junior year you realize how all the tools that engineers learn are interdisciplinary.

For instance, the same signal processing that EE's use is utilized by ocean engineers. Potential theory, Laplace and Poisson's Equations, can be applied to electric potentials for EE's, or velocity potentials used for fluid flow that is used the same way by Chemical, Mechanical, Aerospace Engineers and Naval Architects.

Point being, bad engineers get pigeonholed. If you understand how it works on a fundamental level, you can always move around to where job opportunities are.

I graduated with an offshore engineering degree right when oil crashed. It's basically a split between structural engineering and fluids. I'm in the process of switching over to a chem e job because the job market is hurting for people with my background.
>>
>>25622833
Go into Nigger-American Studies like all us robots. Don't fall for the STEM meme, the jobs pay too well and the stuff you learn is actually useful. What a joke. I'm a girl btw
>>
>>25623398

Basically: Very little without a master's degree.

But it's a good launching point.

Do your best to get a job/internship involving labwork while you're in school, and make TONS of friends/contacts.
>>
>>25623380
Eh I'm European so it might be different for you people since I assume you're American. Anyway here it isn't too hard if you come from one of the better universities but if you want to get into one of the best it's ridiculously hard. Still being in a mediocre firm is extremely good and you will make nice money.

Algo trading is a very robot-friendly area compared to other financial jobs since you don't deal with customers. We were basically a group of spergs for my internships.
>>
>>25622833
Im chemical engineering graduate, currently earning 90k/year in first job and another 35k/year in my own company. Feelsgoodman.
>>
>>25623399
Shouldn't have any problems then. Ask yourself what you want to do though, you will never pass a degree without any interest in it.

Don't worry too much about having to be limited if you choose STEM. Mathematical, analytical and simulation skills are useful almost everywhere in the modern world. In general you will be more desirable the more you know about this, ie a degree in applied mathematics or physics will weight a lot almost everywhere you'd want to go. However if you know you want to do chemistry or mechanical, by all means go into that field.
>>
Do you what you want. Just have to make sure you try for internships, undergrad research, or what have you. Companies will care more about what you have experience in, rather than your degree itself. Your experience will slowly push you to one field or another. The networking and shit is more important than what you actually know sadly.

As long as your degree is somewhat relevant, they won't care. Basic stem degree means you can pretty much pursue a masters or whatever when you finally pigeonhole or find what field you want to work in. There's a lot of crossover in the hard sciences/math. Econ or a few other majors will give you most the math background you need, but you will be missing hard physics background for some work if you decide to go for a masters.

Started off aerospace engi but ended up getting jobs in geophysics/oceanography to do remote sensing type work (geodesy). I never really looked for jobs/internships in the summers and settled on doing manual labor every summer (construction work). This slowly pushed me towards surveying type work due to my field experience with it.
>>
>>25622833
don't fall for the math degree meme. i have a bachelors in math from a state university, graduated with a 3.8 gpa. i do manual labor in a factory for $35k/yr because there are literally no jobs for someone with a bachelors in math, unless you want to teach or some shit.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.