[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can an American explain "Liberal" to me? Over here

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: 80979.jpg (90KB, 1680x1344px) Image search: [Google]
80979.jpg
90KB, 1680x1344px
Can an American explain "Liberal" to me?
Over here (Ireland, probably UK too I guess) we have an entirely different view on the word.

Like, being a "Liberal" doesn't have the same image as it does in America, I don't think.
For example, one liberal might be for LGBT+ rights and pro-life but be a gun nut and hate muslims.

I think over here it doesn't have a singular meaning/not all liberal people are clumped into one camp. What's the consensus over there? Is it a political stance like Right and Left?
>>
>>25596303
In america there are only two schools of thought and everybody had to fall into one, there is no picking and choosing ideas

Conservative(republican) :
>"Small" government
>Unions are bad
>Regulations on businesses are bad
>generally more tough
>most dont really like immigration but they like the cheap labor is provides for their Jewish overlords
>Dont really like black people because they are animals
>LOVE Israel
>Errybody gets a gun

Liberals/Progressives(Democrats):
>Love diversity, ahhh yes the BBC
>dude open the boarders LMAO
>Hate police
>Dude weed
>Slightly more pro-union
>Generally push for higher wages for workers
>"learn my pronouns shitlord bigot!"
>Guns are evil
>Supports slightly more regulations on banks
>cuckolds in general
>>
Liberal in America = naive, young emotional reactionary fool who has no idea how the real world works. Loud, smug, arrogant, and ignorant. Most of them outgrow it eventually once they get out of college, but some of the dumber ones never grow up.
>>
>>25596443
>>25596538
Ah, that does sort of explain it.

I never liked a lot of the liberal stuff in America but also hated the Conservative stuff. Same with Right and Left wing.

I like some from Column A and some from Column B, and feel like only having one or the other can never work for everyone.
>>
>>25596596
odds are anyone who declares themselves liberal is a closed minded moron who only cares about fitting the liberal cliches. they won't listen to any opposing arguments and shout opposing opinions down as offensive.
>>
>>25596596
Most people here in the U.S. are "some from column a and some from column b", but republican/democrats essentially have a lock on politics. There are third parties, some get elected in smaller elections. What happens is if you vote for a third party in a major election, it takes votes away from someone with some of your stances...leaving the major opponent with a greater support. So it ends up boiling down to democrat/republican.
Good examples are how Nader took away support from Gore in 2000, and how Perot took some support from Bush in 1992.
>>
>>25596303

I believe Yuros use liberal to describe what we would call a libertarian (ie. supports total social and economic freedom). Conservatives should be the same on both sides of the pond.
>>
>>25596676
So you're a liberal?
>>
american here, liberal is left wing and conservative is right wing
>>
Liberalism in America refers to the progressive, post-New Deal Keynesian sort of person, especially on social issues (the term also applies fiscally as "spend more" compared to conservatives).

The term "libertarian" recently came up to describe someone similar to your liberals (admittedly from a different school of thought; Americans branched out after Locke/Rousseau in many ways). Paleoconservatives are old-style nationalist, isolationist, religious Americans. Neoconservatives are globalist, free-market, Israeli lapdogs who are generally right-wing on social issues. The American Republican party is mostly neoconservative.

Whereas the "far-right" in Europe is generally redistributive/leftist to some degree economically (Front National as an example) the "far-right" in America is very free-market. The major American political traditions are, as a whole, further right-wing than those of most Euro countries.
>>
>>25596596
>>25597220
Right, thanks to our clearly superior non-parliament system, only two parties matter. They both have baskets of wedge issues to trigger you. So you pick one over the other because abortion or whatever. It doesn't matter if the rest of the column makes sense. American politics are basically bait threads.
>>
>>25596443
>Republicans hate black people
I'm not even a cuckservative but fuck off nigger
>>
>>25597764
>not hating black people
You are indeed a cuck
>>
>>25597524
This is a pretty solid explanation.
>>
>>25596303
Liberal in America is misused. It is used to describe people who are "left-winged" as apposed to the actual meaning of free action/opinion
>>
>>25596443
>Conservative
>Small Government

AHAHHAHAHAHAHA
>>
Reminder that the only good ideology is classical liberalism which is basically moderate everyman conservatism minus the /pol/, yuppie, and post 9/11 redneck autism.
>>
Both of them tend to be lose minded retards when it comes to politics. Both of them are being used by those higher up.

I'm a bit afriad that there will be a civil war in the next decade. Whoever wins, we'll probably all loose.
>>
>>25597954
All forms of liberalism suck, conservatism included

Neo Reaction is the way forward
>>
Both of the major American parties is under the covers a coalition of groups that can barely stand each other.

Democrats aka "Liberals"
> educated upper middle class white people who live in big cities
> unions
> most black and brown people in general

Republicans aka "Conservaties"
> really rich 1% people
> suburban middle class and lower middle class white people
> rural white people in general

Both
> Jews

Its almost like most people pick which party to vote for based more on which of the above demographics they were raised/educated in. Actually reasoning out one's politics from a principle like "freedom is good" or "equality is good", is something only a few nerds do.
>>
Liberal historically would of been closer to libertarian. Neo liberals are generally referred to as liberals here now. Basically it's just another word for democrats such as conservative is just another word for republicans has nothing to do with ideology or politics the vocabulary terms behind those words was divorced from reality when applying to their political terms quite a long time ago.
>>
The one party is the left foot of the colossal internationalist Jew, the other party is its right foot.
>>
>>25598294

>unironically being nrx

fucking kek. you are the cultural marxists of the right wing.
>>
>>25597954
>not creating your own.
This is why you fail.
>>
>>25598402
>Neo liberals
wow here in europe that term usually attributed to people who defend almost laissez-faire capitalism
>>
>>25599816
Neoliberals here in the U.S. are basically pro corporate democrats.
>>
>>25599816

Not him, but neoliberals do that in the US for the most part as well. The differences between neoliberals and neoconservatives are skin-deep at most. They're both internationalist, pro-market, modernist, expansionist, etc.
>>
>>25599816

Compared to Europe (or at least how Europe looks from here), *all* mainstream US politics is more capitalist. When someone like Sanders runs who is a social democrat, it really sticks out as an odd thing.
>>
>>25597912
>Conservative

>Small Government
>>
>>25600776

This.

And on the other hand I really can't even imagine the FN or a similar nationalist/identitarian party taking power in even one minor local seat in the US. The systems are fundamentally different

When I was in Italy (a while ago) I realized they were a lot more passionate and fanatical than Americans. There's never been a serious Communist Party or fascist threat in the US, but Italy has the anni di piombo.
>>
>>25596303
Liberal and conservative are largely buzz-words here in the US. All government colloquialisms like that are devoid of meaning. The media tells us what a liberal is, and if your views align with what the media tells you, well, you must be a liberal!

Free thought is dead and the bi-partisan system is destroying our country.
>>
Libertarian in social issues = Progressive
Libertarians in economic issues = Conservative
This is supposed to be the technical trait but the term liberal has been raped for ages in the U.S. How are progressive (left wing) and conservative (right wing) characterized in Ireland?
>>
File: 1450212783007.png (143KB, 437x599px) Image search: [Google]
1450212783007.png
143KB, 437x599px
>>25596443
If only there were a way to get the best of both worlds.
>>
>>25601088
>tfw no pro worker nationalist party
>>
>>25597869
It's the other way around. Most liberals are left wing in any sense. They tend to stick to social issues to express their policies, but always tend hard right when it comes to American Exceptionalism and economics.
>>
>>25601199
>>tfw no pro worker nationalist party

To be "nationalist" as an American is to worship the ideals of the founders of the US, who were a mix of proto-capitalists and landed gentlemen. Hostility to "workers" interests is baked into the culture.
>>
>>25596303
Im a pro life pro lgbt liberal

And guns... Well your constitution allows you to overthrow the government
>>
>>25596443
>implying all libs hate police

Without police where would I get my Pokemon cards for riding my bike with a helmet?

Where else would I get protection?
>>
>>25601408
Decades of Cold War propaganda haven't helped either.
>>
>>25601513
>Decades of Cold War propaganda haven't helped either.

Yes, its hard to overstate the impact of the Soviet Union on US politics. Many Americans seem to still be fighting the ghosts of Lenin and Stalin.
>>
>>25601088

The fire rises, brother. Soon.
>>
>>25601589

>Not fighting the ghosts of Lenin and Stalin every single day of your goddamn pathetic life until the last red finally falls

You are doing it wrong.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.