[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do normalfags all seem to love pretending to be Buddhists?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

File: 612siddhartha.png (76KB, 300x402px) Image search: [Google]
612siddhartha.png
76KB, 300x402px
Why do normalfags all seem to love pretending to be Buddhists?
>>
>>25555855
Because they don't understand Buddhism.

The path to enlightenment: Buddhism OR full blown hedonism. The former is harder but in the ends pays off more if you succeed; the latter is easier but with more ups and downs.
>>
It's trendy. Why do they pretend to do anything?
>>
They feel it makes them impervious to showing how salty they really are behind closed doors.
>>
>>25555915
>Because they don't understand Buddhism
Being a full blown practicing Buddhist is almost impossible these days (and maybe always has been)
If they want to survive on anything other than their chi or whatever, that is
>>
My ex gf always talked about being a Buddhist when she only read books about it. She never practiced any aspect of the religion and she was a pretty shitty person

I told her Buddhists aren't self-centered egotistical bigots after she cucked me then she just lost her shit
>>
>>25555920
I can attest to this.

Buddhism is the moral Dunning-Kruger.
>>
File: wojak buddha.jpg (104KB, 500x637px) Image search: [Google]
wojak buddha.jpg
104KB, 500x637px
>>25555855
They're meme atheists who appropriate Buddhism as a philosophy.

>>25555957

I think you're the one who doesn't understand Buddhism anon.
>>
>>25556594
I guess not
I'd use that shrug smiley to force originality but it contains non-ascii characters so have this sentence instead
>>
Who /buddhist/ here?
I'm embarking on a journey to be a buddhist. I don't want to live in samsara no more. Don't want no more dukkha. That's why I'm going to follow the noble eightfold path. Wish me luck bros
>>
>>25556630
Buddhism isn't about rejecting all material things, "the middle way" is a core tenant of Buddhism meaning that neither extremes of hedonism and self-mortification & isolation are good ways to live life and attain enlightenment.

It's about enjoying the things that life has to offer without becoming addicted to them or needing them for happiness.
>>
>>25556691
I've been a nondescript Buddhist since 2002 when I was 17. After my atheist phase and before that I was raised Catholic.

I follow more Zen and especially teachings of Ikkyu than any other specific school.

I also like learning from other religions as well. I own a read a copy of every major religious text.

Have a good one.
>>
>>25556738
Oh
That's silly
>>
>>25556738
>Buddhism isn't about rejecting all material things, "the middle way" is a core tenant of Buddhism meaning that neither extremes of hedonism and self-mortification & isolation are good ways to live life and attain enlightenment.

That's not real Buddhism as Buddha meant it, you dumbfuck. That's New Wave Buddhism.
>>
>>25556823
Can you tell me more why you chose zen than the other schools? Right now I'm aware of four that's most popular: theravada, pure land, zen and tibetan. There's also the secular buddhist movement that's going on.
>>
File: image.png (733KB, 1115x1387px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
733KB, 1115x1387px
>>25556738
>isn't about
>>25556738
>It's about
>>
File: 1429129619690.jpg (376KB, 1600x1509px) Image search: [Google]
1429129619690.jpg
376KB, 1600x1509px
Because they're poor deluded normalfags who haven't discovered Eastern Orthodoxy.
>>
>>25555855
/buddhistthread/?
/buddhistthread/.

post your favourite bodhisattvas anons. Mine's avalokiteshvara. She got 1000 arms yo. Shit's crazy!
>>
>>25555855
Funny how enlightenment in buddhism requires complete death of the ego/self and normalfag buddhists are the most selfish, narcissist assholes ever.
>>
File: image.jpg (37KB, 700x472px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 700x472px
>>25556902
Pictorially.
>>
No one in this thread confirmed for living in a Buddhist country.

It's a dumbfuck religion through and through.
Buddha is prayed to and worshiped as a god.

There is no detachment.
There is no "it's not a religion".

The shit Hollywood and wikipedia taught you about Buddhism, isn't Buddhism.
>>
>>25557017
This is true.

The most selfless people I have met were just technology/programming nerds on the spectrum who were just happy tinkling with their hobbies.

Buddhists are nosy, gossipy, wiser-than-thou, diagnosing, offence-taking normalfaggots.
>>
>>25556867
0/10 trollpost dude, put some effort into it, the middle way and noble eightfold path was literally the first thing that the Buddha taught after the reached enlightenment.

>>25556890
It's a bit of a generalization, but generally speaking Zen doesn't focus as much on prayers and deity-worship and rituals as other schools. It tends to be a much more simple, almost philosophical, form of Buddhism.

Probably also why it's the one generally adopted as a philosophy, for better or for worse.
>>
>>25557149
And I suppose you do? Buddhism, or the Dharma, isn't what plebs who think that they're buddhists do. It's what the Buddha Shakyamuni taught. He never taught people to worship him.
>>
File: 1442265700515.jpg (87KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1442265700515.jpg
87KB, 960x960px
>>25555855
because white buddhists, women especially, think it is okay to pump an dump aka ''shag without feelings'' while being morally good since in agreement with the dhamma.
>>
>>25557279
That's against the third of the five precepts tho. Buddhists are supposed to abstain from sexual misconduct
>>
>>25557231
Yes. I live in Thailand.

Like Christianity in America no one gives a flying fuck about the convoluted lore.

They pray to Buddha for health and wealth.
They incite his name for moral nonsense.

All religions are the same shit with a new hat.
These isn't the Asian mysticism of our great great great great grandfathers anymore you hippie twat.
>>
I never understood how human and humanoid-centric buddhism is (unless that's just meant to be representational)
One would think it would be full of all kinds of crazy shit since it's meant to be so ultimate
>>
>>25557179
>the middle way

Is the very first disclaimer a person going to recommend morally questionable things makes. 'No matter what I say, remember that it is only good in moderation.' If he had a clear conscience and if his recommendations stood on their own, he would never have to make it.

>>25557279
Can confirm this as well. Buddhism is the religion of rejection of responsibility. 'The teachings say don't get attached -- don't get so hanged up on your resentment for me.' 'The teachings say observe your mind -- focus on yourself instead of criticizing me.' 'The teachings say everything comes and goes -- the decision of mine you're now calling bad might turn out to be good soon.' 'The teachings say everything is impermanent -- your anger will soon go away.' 'The teachings say everything is depends on the mind -- my act is what you think it is, it has no objective nature.'

This explains what kind of person is attracted to it.
>>
>>25557346
buddhism is just a hardcore version of stoicism you dumbfuck. it could work in theory.
didn't work for me though.
>>
>>25557382
>hardcore version of stoicism
it is not hardcore. the stoicis do not know how to establish equanimity for the sake of equanimity, and even less equanimity in order to obtain vipassana.

stoics just say equanimity is good, but do not offer a user manual for people willing to be stoic.
>>
>>25557346
So what? Just as no one in the right mind would believe that creflo dollar is preaching the gospel, if you yourself know the dharma well enough you would know that the whole buddha worship won't do them any good in escaping samsara as taught by the Buddha
>>
>>25557416
yes it's hardcore. because ego death is not the goal of stoicism. real buddhism is about the cessation of suffering and thus also that of pleasure.

read the middle length discourses of buddha:
http://www.amazon.com/Middle-Length-Discourses-Buddha-Translation/dp/086171072X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452146539&sr=8-1&keywords=the+middle+length+discourses+of+the+buddha
i read it completely. i really tried embracing it and accept it truths but it's too hard and i have too many mood swings to dream about becoming enlightened in the buddhist sense.
>>
>>25557483
You sound like a Korean trying to convince another Korean that Zoroastrianism is what Catholics believe.
>>
>>25557483
>>25557553
Tip: discussing the 'true teachings' is thoroughly worthless.

What's important is to realize what they are being used to justify, cf. >>25557353.
>>
>>25555855
I-Is thing a thing now?
>>
>>25557692

Yes anon, now align those chakras!
>>
This thread is full of dumb fucks
>>
>>25555855
I'm not a Buddha fag, but I will meditate every now and then. A shitload of nicotine and meditation can give you a pretty good "high" feeling.
>>
>>25557177
>buddhists
Please do not generalize all buddhists, use the 'normie' identifier.
>>
>>25555855
Probably because Steve Jobs pretended to be buddhism so they think it comes in a bundle with their iSuck machine.
>>
>>25560447
*buddhist
Holy fuck I should go back to sleep.
>>
>>25560460
holy fuck as if anyone cares you missspeleleldd something on an anonymoes bord
>>
>>25559702
>Please do not generalize

Translation: 'please include a "not all x" disclaimed for my convenience whenever you describe a population so to leave room for the implication that the subgroup I like/advocate/belong to is the okay one'.
>>
>>25560477
>disclaimed
*disclaimer
>>
I had a bunch of good shit happen to me after donating at Buddhist temples in Japan.

That's about it, though. Guan'yin seems pretty cool to me and I've seen more evidence of her influence than any other religion, but I don't exactly consider myself a Buddhist.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.