[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've noticed the prevalence of a culture of "no handholding"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: inquisitive.jpg (18KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
inquisitive.jpg
18KB, 400x267px
I've noticed the prevalence of a culture of "no handholding" all across 4chan boards. Most notably on /v/, but it's kind of present everywhere.
What I mean is that people will make the shittiest of OPs (no mention of the subject name, pic is unrelated, etc) and if you ask for more details, they'll fling shit because they don't want to hold your hand. As in, if you aren't already familiar with the subject, they don't want you in their thread. What they don't realize is that 75% of the time, this will just hurt the longevity of their thread and make it impossible to look up in the catalog. Does this frustrate anyone else as much as it does me? I almost think there's nothing we can do except give OPs like this shit and don't respond to them.
>>
>>438664

It's an old cultural carry over from previous eras. Back then people were still afraid of foreign cultures "normalizing" the website even before Reddit existed.

At the time since 4chan was weeb they really feared Gaia users, which were known to go into anime loving communities and sperg out. So customs were introduced to make it as difficult as possible for new people to use the website.

A core centerpiece was to lurk before posting, where the general idea was to ask people to not post until they have fully gotten a grasp of the culture here. To better enforce this, Actions such as handholding and giving new people information was frowned upon.

Back then 4chans interface was enough to deter most forum users at the time, such as requiring noko to return to your thread after posting. Even though moot had this info in the QnA nobody ever read it and this was beneficial as the cancer of that era would grow frustrated with the website leave.

In this modern era a lot of old customs have essentially died as traffic overwhelmed previous users who couldn't put newfags in their place. The interface is simpler, fun board "secrets" such as fortunes have been stripped from most boards which means no more stuff to hide from newfags to make them frustrated. But despite this, some things stick strongly and one of them is to avoid handholding.
>>
>>438664
lurk more
>>
>>438664
lurk more
>>
>>438684
>>438685

>2016
>ask newfags to lurk
>they do so
>see nothing but shitposting, pure contrarianism, posting smug anime/frogs and a celebration of getting people angry
>They think "Oh boy, I guess 4chan is all about shitposting and shitting on each other"

Somewhere along the line the self regulating genome of 4chan that culturally prepped it's new users into viable posters got corrupted. They call it cancer for a reason.
>>
>>438664
/out/ doesn't really have the "no handholding" culture.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.