[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a particular reason not to allow WebMs to use VP9? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Vp9-logo-for-mediawiki.svg.png (9KB, 200x91px) Image search: [Google]
Vp9-logo-for-mediawiki.svg.png
9KB, 200x91px
Is there a particular reason not to allow WebMs to use VP9? It's a waste of bandwidth to limit them all to the inferior VP8 format.
>>
>>414690
4chan is not currently willing to devote man hours to understanding the ins and outs of VP9. Google completely owns the IP and has not made it fully open and understandable. For all we know, there's ways to hide CP in there in least significant bits and we can't have that. Sorry. You'll just have to find another way.
>>
>>414699
>Not fully open
The encoder and decoder is literally open source, how is that not enough?
>>
VP8 has better support and what you gain (size, quality) from switching to VP9 is negligible for small animu clips used on 4chan.
Also, it's slow af to encode.
>>
>>414721
Is there really such a huge disparity between VP8&VP9 compatibility? If you can play VP8 you should be able to play VP9 as well, at least browser-wise. If it mostly affects mobile users, then just fuck them.

The difference in quality isn't the main point, it's more about using obsolete technology wihout justification, I do use/save all my webms in VP9 and having to re-encode them to just post them on 4chins is just a chore that doesn't have to exist.

And it doesn't matter whether it's slow to encode or not, it doesn't impare the site/viewers at all, it's literally non-sequitor. Also apparently the 1.5 libvpx update noticeably sped up encoding.
>>
>>414742
>Is there really such a huge disparity between VP8&VP9 compatibility
Yes. It's not supported at all in Safari and IE.

>I do use/save all my webms in VP9
Then use VP8. 4chan has strict format requirements anyway (length, size, streams), so you already have to cater to 4chan when you record your weeb clips.

>it's more about using obsolete technology wihout justification
You get it. "VP9 on 4chan" is just a meme.
>>
>>414752
>Yes. It's not supported at all in Safari and IE.
Nor do they support VP8

>Then use VP8. 4chan has strict format requirements anyway (length, size, streams), so you already have to cater to 4chan when you record your weeb clips.
I'd rather simply trim my clips instead of having to re-encode them completely each time I have to use some kind of segment, it's not as fast as just removing audiotrack and taking timestamps.

>You get it. "VP9 on 4chan" is just a meme.
I see, fuck off fag, I now realize I'm responding to a retard.
>>
>>414753
>Nor do they support VP8
They do if you install the plugin manually.

And yes, "let's switch just because it's newer" is something only an autismic desktop ricer would say.
>>
>>414756
Microsoft's browser is going to add VP9 while ironically not supporting VP8. That's almost a good reason to exclusively allow VP9, let alone both.
>>
>>414690
To encourage people to use better sites.
>>
>>415133
I'd rather 4chan just not let Microsoft Browser Users post.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.