[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Please Open Source the Yotsuba Imageboard engine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5

File: FREEDOM.png (76KB, 1200x597px) Image search: [Google]
FREEDOM.png
76KB, 1200x597px
Taken from the FAQ

>What software does 4chan use?

>4chan runs a proprietary version of imageboard software that we refer to internally as "Yotsuba." Currently there are no plans to make our code available to the public. Many open source alternatives exist though, and are only a search away!

The problem is, however, that those alternatives aren't very good.

-Tinyboard was the best for a bit, but it's now abandoned. Got picked up by a polish person, but is now somewhat abandoned. Filled with crufty code, and probably won't work in the future.

-KusabaX is fucking dead

-420chan's code is closed source as well, Kirt may make it open source in the future

-LynxChan is promising, but runs on node.js, and has no reasonable front-end at all.

-Infinity got closed sourced, for no fucking reason. Thanks, Codemonkey.

All imageboard engines other than Yotsuba are terrible, please, PLEASE, make Yotsuba open-source. It doesn't have to be released under the Autistic Public License, It doesn't have to include documentation, it can be spaghetti code, I don't mind, but PLEASE release this imageboard engine that is a good compromise of:

-UI
-Security
-Stability
-Performance

I beg of you, Anonymous##Developer
>>
what about taba
>>
No.
>>
>>1104495
fucking this, the moment it gets released and goes open source could pave the way for a new age in imageboards and online communities

(or maybe they don't want that? conspiracy?)
>>
At this point I'm assuming that 4chan has some kind of contractual obligation preventing them from releasing the code. These sorts of things are not uncommon.
>>
>>1104503
4chan wouldn't be that difficult to make from scratch
>>
>>1104529
well if it's that easy, why don't we do it
then?
>>
>>1104536
because writing something that both performs well and looks good is hard.
>>
>>1104504
With whom?
>>
I don't understand what the hell you're all on about.
There are tons of 4chan clones.
>>
Someone already emulated Yotsuba perfectly in vichan tho? I have an instance running.
>>
>>1104544
exactly, anyone can write a program, not everyone can write a good one

but hey, that's sounds like a neat little pet project for the board, why don't we have a thread about that and exchange ideas?
we can make up for quality with numbers of people, there's bound to be someone who would make a good idea and carry the idea forward
>>
>>1104548
>>1104551
Get 4chan levels of traffic and see how well any of the alternatives hold up.

They work fine for jp spinoffs with an average of 20 posts a day. Once you hit 20 posts a second, they'll all start choking.
>>
>>1104561
Not if we do something like put generated HTML into a ramdisk. The MySQL traffic shouldn't be too bad.
>>
>>1104536
because I don't really care to have a new board. maybe if these rangebans keep up I'll code one so I have a place to post.
>>
IRC or Discord for this project?
>>
>>1104579
>wanting to meet users on /qa/
i myself would much rather keep it within a thread
>>
File: 1180124905332.jpg (33KB, 418x455px) Image search: [Google]
1180124905332.jpg
33KB, 418x455px
>>1104579
>Discord
>>
>>1104594
Hey, I've always been an IRC guy but it's dying against my will.
>>
>>1104604
>only now is IRC dying
In regards to your original question, I have no programming experience, only system administration experience.
>>
Alright. I'm officially starting this project. Reverse engineer my own Yotsuba software in PHP. Add in some other enhancements. The end goal will be to handle 200 posts a second across a handful of boards.
>>
>>1105105
do we start from scratch or use a pre-existing script as the base for this project?

if it's something pre-existing, we could probably find it on github
also, what will the script be called?
>>
>>1104587
>>1104688
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>1105115
I say from scratch. I already have a good understanding with databases & caching methods. I also have a pretty good understanding with how Yotsuba works.
>>
Where the IRC channel?
>>
>>1105131
Rizon. Lets go for #openyotsuba
>>
On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 15:20, Anonymous wrote:
>Rizon. Lets go for #openyotsuba

This channel has existed since 2015...
>>
>>1105281
I haven't connected yet. Another name then?
>>
On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 15:33, Anonymous wrote:
>I haven't connected yet. Another name then?

It seems like the operator in #openyotsuba has abandoned the channel.
Maybe #freeyotsuba? This would have a nice double meaning to it and we can start anew.

But I doubt it'll be active, unles we really pull this thing on...
>>
>>1105105
>>1105122
>>1105170
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with working on this project, in fact I think creating sites from scratch is awesome.

But I do just want to point out that without an actual site to go with this it's a waste of time.

What does 4chan even have that alt chans don't at this point? It's particular blend of settings? The fact that it has google/iqdb image search built in?

The months that you're going to spend working on this just to end up with 4chan-clone software just to be able to say
"Oh, but OUR clone software also includes these extra few tiny details that nobody really cares about, unlike YOUR clone software"
isn't worth it.

I'm wondering if this is actually because you guys are just ignorant of all the other imageboards out there. "Tons of alternative imageboards" is not an understatement. We are probably talking in the hundreds here.

Not all alternative imageboards are criticized for their software. Most of them already have perfectly acceptable software (it might even be argued that some are already _better_ than 4chan's) but they still don't explode in popularity.
Cloning 4chan more precisely is not the answer. 4chan clones don't work because they are _clones_, there's nothing to bring in an audience when they already have 4chan. You need to make something that's not-4chan if you want it to be successful.
>>
>>1105350
Who all would like to be involved? If all else fails it could just be a "general" style thread in this board.
>>
4chan's code is probably so specific to 4chan's use cases that it's probably not worth open-sourcing.
But I'm a curious freetard so I'd like to see it being open-sourced as well.

>>1105105
>in PHP
It's [current year], why the fuck would you use PHP?
>>
>>1105385
I view this more as a learning experience. Not like a "I will make a superior chan". Just a fun thing to do to see if I could actually pull it off.

>>1105406
What would you use?
>>
damn I really want to help, but I'm going to be busy for a while
>>
If it was open-source then Hiroyuki's datamining schemes would be even more obvious.
>>
>>1105386
i like this idea

>>1105385
it's just something to do man, spend some time on while we waste away our time here, who knows, it could become it's own thing, evolve past it's 4chan clone roots
>>
Somebody needs to write an imageboard in lisp. Or better yet, a textboard!
>>
On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 15:41, Anonymous wrote:
>Who all would like to be involved? If all else fails it could just be a "general" style thread in this board.

I would have no problem if this thread became a general, like the CSS threads that sometimes pop up or the happening threads. It would be a place where a group of selected few would discuss the project over a long span.
>>
Plus we already have a good idea of how Yotsuba works anyway:

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/dvliman/11264471/raw/cc784c7666c84fae6c6eb259d41047138ea12602/gistfile1.txt
>>
>>1105412
>What would you use?
Go, Clojure or Elixir.
>>
>>1105471
Why? What benefit do these languages have?
>>
>>1105105
>PHP
The project has already failed.
>>
>>1105774
Do it better then
>>
To everyone complaining about PHP: There is literally nothing better. NodeJS is fucking trash. ASP.NET only runs on Windows, C# only runs on Windows.

>>1105412
Do you have a git repo set up?
>>
>>1105467
>salt= LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

my sides
>>
>>1105105
>PHP
It's like you want to waste money on bandwidth.
>>
Something something Shii
>>
File: 1476998686629.jpg (132KB, 391x311px) Image search: [Google]
1476998686629.jpg
132KB, 391x311px
>>1105467
That's a mess from 2010 and it was rewritten in 2012.

Also this
>>1105385
>But I do just want to point out that without an actual site to go with this it's a waste of time.

I suggest a waifubot
>>
>>1107326
HTML is HTML, how would PHP cost us bandwidth?
>>
>>1107767
Is this a satirical question?
>>
>>1107772
No?
>>
>>1107767
what does this question even mean?

>>1107360
fucking AI, i wouldn't have a problem working on this type of general either
>>
Is there something deeply wrong with vichan that it can't be forked or improved to get you what you want?
>>
>>1107794
Explain this post: >>1107326
It makes no sense to me.
>>
>>1107809
Yes, there's a lot wrong with vichan.
>the old cruft has accumulated beyond repair
-czaks

It's poorly documented, and collapses under heavy load. I know that Yotsuba is stable and can handle heavy load, it's the true representation of what an imageboard should be.

All of the issues of vichan could probably be fixed, but the effort in doing so could result in creating a new imageboard engine entirely.
>>
>>1107869
PHP is a server side programming language, i don't see the fuss in using it, but i'm guessing he was referring to PHP parsing alot of data and using alot of bandwith maybe, not quite sure, i have almost no experience with that information
>>
>>1104495
Do you know about akariBBS?
>>
>>1107913
>i have almost no experience with that information
Neither does anyone else here. This entire thread exists as a passive-aggressive jab at the the staff over some arbitrary amount of assmad. No one in this thread is willing, or capable, of creating yet another pointless clone of 4chan's software. And if they did, well, they'd have yet another pointless clone to throw on the giant pile of previous pointless clones.
>>
Is there a project page for this?
>>
>>1105412
>What would you use?
Brainfuck
>>
File: 3PCebxg.png (231KB, 622x674px) Image search: [Google]
3PCebxg.png
231KB, 622x674px
Yes, open source it so everyone can look at security flaws in the code and take admin privileges easily! How about free 4chan passes too! This is definitely the best idea ever!
>>
>>1111585
don't even fucking joke about giving 4chan passes out for free
>>
so has anyone taken this project yet?
>>
Just use wakaba.
>>
>>1112813
Kirt actually contributes major fixes from his fork.
>>
antispam bump 29852
>>
File: laughinggirls.gif (3MB, 445x247px) Image search: [Google]
laughinggirls.gif
3MB, 445x247px
>>1111585
Security through obscurity doesn't exist sysadminfag :^)

This has been proven in 2014 and will be proven again. As a matter of fact, the open-sourcing of Yotsuba would probably leed to improvements and security upgrades. An exploit is merely a tool to improve your security -- you may as well let someone find it, exploit it, and get it fixed as soon as possible, than let it sit there.
>>
>>1111585
>>1116858
It's probably not so much security of the code they're worried about so much as they enjoy having users not know how moderation "actually works."
>>
>>1116882
Aren't details like that routinely leaked, though?
>>
>>1117490
Leaked information falls like rain from the sky but nobody puts out buckets to catch them.
>>
>>1117496
Someone posted an imgur link in the secrets thread that has some pretty nice screenshots on some of their systems. Check out the archives because it got deleted
>>
>>1119274
What?
>>
Here we have the part of project planning in which after the great brainstorm, everybody sits around on their asses praying for someone to actually do work.

>>1117830
Forget screenshots; we have massive text dumps of most things you could possibly want to know. Nobody talks about them here because it's against the rules and/or they're retards who don't know they exist and people elsewhere have talked them to death because it's not that interesting.
>>
>>1120385
Where can we talk about it then? I'm definitely interested
>>
>>1108242
Have you used it? Would you recommend it?
>>
anti-spam bump
>>
>>>/trash/8000000
>>
>>1123408
Is that a Jojo reference?
>>
These guys deserve a bump
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.