[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nevada solar industry collapses after state lets power company

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: 4799.jpg (1015KB, 1920x1152px)
4799.jpg
1015KB, 1920x1152px
Amerilards will defend this.

>Although Nevada is one of the sunniest places in the world, there has recently been a dark cloud hovering over the rooftop solar industry in the state. Just before Christmas, Nevada’s public utility commission (PUC) gave the state’s only power company, NV Energy, permission to charge higher rates and fees to solar panel users – a move that immediately shattered the rooftop solar industry’s business model.

>In addition to the new monthly fee, which will increase to $40 from $12 over the next five years, customers like Stewart will get less back from the utility for energy their solar panels capture and feed into the main power grid. Whereas previously they received full retail value for their surplus electricity, soon NV Energy will only pay a third of that price for exported electricity.

>The uneven effect would be that during dark hours and cloudy days, solar customers could pay full price for energy, even after contributing two or three times as much electricity to the power grid during the same day. As the Alliance for Solar Choice frames it, the $40 fee eliminates the $11 to $15 solar users typically save on their monthly electricity bills.

>“It’s simple math,” said Bryan Miller, president of the Alliance for Solar Choice. “The commission eliminated all solar savings. People would pay more for going solar rather than less. It has left companies no choice but to stop doing business in the state.”

If you Americans are too stupid to understand what's going on, the governor of Nevada pulled a bait-and-switch on consumers to protect NV Energy’s monopoly profits
>>
>>60996888
Heard about this on NPR yesterday. Cuckservatives will somehow defend this shit.
>>
>>60996888
Why would anyone defend that? Seems pretty unambiguously bad.
>>
Forgot link

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/13/solar-panel-energy-power-company-nevada#img-1
>>
>Amerilards will defend this.
>Cuckservatives will somehow defend this shit.

Yes, I'm sure they'll show up any minute now .
>>
>>60996888
If you do solar, go completely off the grid. I don't think that rooftop solar should get full price for the electricity they generate as it's a very unreliable source i.e. it's never on and generating like a true power plant.

Anyway solar is always been a gov funded boondoggle so why are these fucks even surprised?
>>
As a conservative I'm not going to defend that. It's crony capitalism and this is the garbage that has ruined this country. If and when renewable energy becomes more common I guarantee you that the corporatocracy will tax the sun and win
>>
>>60997703
Well filthy democrat Warren Buffett is in charge of NV Energy, it's part of the Buffett clan of crap.

But who the fuck is so stupid to invest $40,000 in solar panels when you're 69? Stupid old fuck.
>>
>>60997899
Typically an investment like that raises the price of your house.
>>
>>60996888
Ironically one the of most powerful weapons in Fallout is found in Nevada, a solar-based weapon
>>
>>60998033
This is /pol/. No such thing as irony here.
>>
>>60996888
I work government contracts in the solar industry, this is fucking horrendous.
>>
>>60996888

>raise fee to more than 3x its original value

>only have to pay electricity producers 1/3rd of the value of the electricity they produce

Wow holy fucking shit that's probably the most retarded fucking thing I've ever seen. Just more evidence that power companies have their fingers so far up the Government's ass that they can literally rip off anyone they want.
>>
>>60998018
Not by more than initial cost though. Especially now with this ruling. I'd never buy a house with installed solar unless it was under 5 years old and had immaculate maintenance records. Talk about a potential money pit.
>>
That feel when it doesnt matter, all they need to do is construct battery banks to hold the energy harvested by their solar panels and tell the power company to suck a dogs dick.

Really, it's not even that expensive or complicated to build a reliable lithium ion battery bank.

Also, Tesla is about to put their prefab one on the market.

NV power is only delaying the inevitable.
>>
>>60998382
Depends if you get your panels at a good price and where the market goes in the future.

Your panels today could be worth 20% more in a few years if demand for PV goes up.
>>
>>60996888

Utilities donate far more money than the people putting panels up.

Three guesses who the law favors as a result, despite the latter being more beneficial in the long run.
>>
>>60997487
The batterys are too expensive atm. That's why people are hyped about the Tesla battery if it ever comes out
>>
>>60996888
Don't live in Nevada and I don't care. The cool thing about the US is you can move states if the one you live in sucks.
>>
>>60998516
This.
Solar installers will design new plans around lithium battery banks and encourage homeowners to go off grid.

Energy company profits will plummet, and they'll gain nothing from solar homes.

This was a BAD move.
>>
>>60998247
But remember the power that residences produce is an inconsistent source that the grid has to deal with. I'm sure that power distribution systems would rather not have that shit tied into the grid at all. Here's a link describing how net metering is harmful to the poor and minorities that the libs all love

http://www.utilitydive.com/news/opinion-how-solar-advocates-are-overvaluing-dg-solar/374297/
>>
>>60998738
Short sighted fools, putting themselves out of business.
Can't wait to cut that cord.
>>
>>60998992
>>60998738
Too bad then that you will be at the mercy of Big Battery.
>>
>>60998018
Said no real estate agent ever.
Like swimming pools, they actually lower the resale price of homes in general.

>Paying for something that lowers property value.
Dindu much?
>>
Where's Obama? Where's Musk? Why isn't this a shit storm?
>>
>>60998792

I might think it's less bullshit based on the reasoning that it's not a 1:1 return, but cutting the amount of money that electrical companies are required to pay solar energy producers to 1/3rd of its value while simultaneously tripling the fee they have to pay is completely fucking ridiculous.

It's like someone saying that your finger is gangrenous so they have to amputate your entire forearm.
>>
>>60996888
>the $40 fee eliminates the $11 to $15 solar users typically save on their monthly electricity bills
>>
>>60999147
Congrats, you're a genius, you figured out that living in a capitalist society you're always at the mercy of the procuders of goods.

That being said, I'd rather pay a battery company once every 5 years to replace my shit than pay the cunts at the power plant monthly.
>>
>>60998737
>Don't live in Nevada and I don't care
I'm moving to Nevada in a few weeks and I still don't care. NV Energy can never rape me as bad as the 300 a month I pay for electricity in PA.
>>
>>60999340
Musk is probably too busy coming up with another means to cuck the energy producing companies than raise hell.
>>
>>60999501
I'm glad you acknowledged my intellectual superiority. Enjoy your new master!
>>
>>60999661
Musk disappears along with the subsidies. All his business is based on milking the government. Rockets, electronic cars, solar
>>
>>60999616
WTF? Is your entire house electric? What are you paying per KWh? I'm paying 6.9 cents per KWh plus the 7.5 cents per KWh for distribution.
This is Western PA.
>>
>>61000040
All he's ever received is loans, and Tesla paid their ATVM loan back with interest, earlier than expected.

The American taxpayer made money off Tesla.
>>
>>60999340
Musk is in trouble.
>>
>>61000424
>day
>>
>>60996888
Energy companies should be under no obligation to pay people for their solar panels or charge them lower rates than everybody else. If the homeowner panels were actually beneficial to them they would be trying to encourage more people to do it.
Further proof that solar is shit and can only be viable through massive subsidization and cost to the taxpayer.
>>
>>61000731
>implying massive subsidization isnt how current power companies got where they are today.
>>
>>61000271
Who is paying the the rockets if not government? His solar business is based on tax rebates same with the electric cars.
>>
Real link to article

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/13/solar-panel-energy-power-company-nevada

There was no mention of costs to the utility company to upgrade their grid to handle solar panels.
This has been a big problem in Hawaii.
>>
>>>60999999
>>
>>61000172
Western PA here too. No idea why it's so high. I even have gas heat. I'd have to look at my see what my kW price is.
>>
sounds familiar

Thanks Obama
>>
>>61001391
Look at my bill, I meant to type
>>
I thought the whole fucking point of solar panelling every square inch of your property was to disconnect from the grid?

WTF? So they sold solar as a profit driven "you can sell electricty to the grid" scenario, which then turned out to be bullshit in practice? And nobody, not one person, stopped to check if it was true?
>>
>>61000615
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/solarcity-shares-tank-after-nevada-solar-decision-2016-01-14
>>
>>60996888

>completely failing to understand the issue

solar is still inefficient and is only made economically viable by government subsidies and taking advantage of infrastructure built and maintained at the expense of energy companies

there SHOULD be a fee. whether or not this is too high is another issue entirely

also all energy subsidies should be eliminated, both for renewables and fossil fuels
>>
>>61000424

The same trouble the rest of the Dow/Nasdaq/S&P is in at the moment. Your point?
>>
>>60996888
>>61002102
The free market will fix itself and the price will settle to where it belongs to profit both groups.
>>
>>61001391
Could be an "electrical leak". No where is going to protect you from high prices if your stupid. Educate yourself.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7632026_discover-electrical-leakage-home.html
>>
>rates and fees go up on solar panel uses

BUT BERNIE PROMISED ME THESE COMPANIES COULD SURVIVE 90% TAXES!!!! I BET THOSE DAMN CIS CAPITALISTS DID THIS
>>
File: yogapants.jpg (89KB, 1080x989px) Image search: [Google]
yogapants.jpg
89KB, 1080x989px
>>61002102
this guy gets it
>>
1. Worry about corporate monopolies

2. Elect an elite group with a force backed monopoly to protect you from monopolies

3. Profit?
>>
File: HarryReid.jpg (69KB, 362x286px) Image search: [Google]
HarryReid.jpg
69KB, 362x286px
>>60996888
>the governor of Nevada pulled a bait-and-switch on consumers to protect NV Energy’s monopoly profits (what else is new??)

You can also be VERY sure that this ASS-HOLE had something to do with this and he will also profit from it somehow too. But you fucks in Nevada still re-elect this douchebag right back into office each year so look in the mirror when seeking a blame. (pic related / referenced)
>>
>Depends if you get your panels at a good price and where the market goes in the future.

I'm sure it varies a lot especially from state to state, but I believe most people just lease the solar panels from the company and that is how they get their return back. However this becomes a huge problem when going to resell your house because the new owner has to agree to the lease that you signed with the Solar company.

Of course you could simply buy them outright, but I think many of the batteries have a short lifespan which again can fuck up you trying to sell your home. If the panels are even a few years old, the potential buyer will have an expensive repiar/upgrade they may not want to deal with in the near future.

Pretty much the only reason people do it now is because of the kick backs that are only possible because of the huge government subsidies which will not last forever.
>>
>>61002678
gimme de sauce b0ss
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.