[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Origami so unpopular?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 14

File: 1429442220303.gif (486KB, 475x347px) Image search: [Google]
1429442220303.gif
486KB, 475x347px
Why is Origami so unpopular?
>>
>>544566
Because it requires skills and it uses a "vulgar" medium.
>>
>>544569
paper is pretty much the least vulgar thing I can think of.
>>
>>544607
I once saw a piece of paper with FUCK written on it
>>
Learning curve is steep.

Most normies can't even fold a sheet of paper in half.
>>
>>544607
vulgar in the sens of common or in opposition to "noble". Marble is noble, bronze is noble, kraft paper is somewhat more vulgar than those.
>>
>>544618
The Japs seem to think differently, they see (high quality) paper as noble. In Jap and Chinese culture, calligraphy is seen as (one of the) highest art forms. I come from a traditional paper-making town and here, paper is seen as a beautiful product. For many papercraft, normal paper is used. For origami, usually a special paper is used, which could be considered ''noble''.
>>
>>544620
Well, you seem to know something about paper, but most people don't.
Hence the idea of a vulgar medium.
>>
>>544566

I'm here because I accidently clicked on /po/ instead of /pol/.
>>
>>544628
>Checking dubs on /po/

You're one step away from anarcho-baneposting
>>
File: image.gif (80KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
80KB, 350x263px
Always blows my mind that fucking papercraft has a board, but not shota/loli.
>>
>>544616
True. They seem to think that symmetry doesn't matter, so they always have the edges misaligned when they fold, which annoys me a little.
>>
>>544623
I'm sorry you browse /pol/, but feel free to stay for a while
>>
>>544654
thanks. I feel like you maybe could teach me to craft a paper hillary but it will probably still be less frail than the real thing
>>
>>544634
there used to be >>>/loli/, but it got taken down
>>
>>544566
Because /po doesn't make dank memes like /b or /pol
>>
>>54461
Very true. Took me a lot of dedication and three months to make my first crane. To be fair, I was 7.
>>
Require artist skill; a skill I do not have
>Tfw you will never be good at Asian paper folding art
>>
>>544715
No, it only requires practice & training to fold existing models.
Only if you want to create models, then, maybe, artist skill is required.
>>
>>544715
>>544721
I've always considered there to be two classes in origami, the folders and the artists. While all origami artists are folders, not every folder is an artist.

And as someone who creates models, I believe it's a balance between technical skill and artistic skill. With enough training, you can make up for a lack in artistic skill with technical skills
>>
File: 1472853421903.png (867KB, 1264x1460px) Image search: [Google]
1472853421903.png
867KB, 1264x1460px
>>544566
cus it areth lame
>>
>>544566
hard
>>
Origami for beginners looks like crap a preschooler would craft, origami that actually looks good has a minimum of 30 steps and every little folding mistake adds up and ruins the result. Not to mention the instructions are often super complicated
>>
I guess it's because it requires a lot of patience
>>
>>544566
It's really fucking hard, dude.
>>
>>544566
It's as popular as stamp collecting or bonsai tree cultivation. I think origami is fun but most people don't care.
>>
Because like all art forms people say "oh i wish i could do it" or "I wish i was as talented as you" when in reality they just wish it was easy.
It something that takes many hours of work to get good at. Like if we all think back to out first experiences with origami the results were most likely laughable. I can remember it talking me almost 2 or 3 days to learn how to fold the crane, of course now i can do it in my sleep.
But because it takes work most don't put in the effort to learn or practise.
>>
It's really easy to make ~3/4 of origami, hellishly hard to make the rest, and resolutely impossible to create any original designs.
>>
It's akin to rock collecting.
>>
>>544994
This.
>>
>>544970
funny you mention it, my dad's heavily into bonsai
he has a large online presence and sometimes we have people over that collect/buy bonsai or just come over for an exposition-eqsue viewing
never met anyone that was into origami, but some of the bonsai tree cultivators were also into koi carps, but I see the underlying connections between those two.
>>
File: adolfgami.jpg (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
adolfgami.jpg
9KB, 259x194px
>>544566
Jews have surpressed all kinds of craft from modern day society, they only want the people to be dumb lifestock that breeds and parties.
>>
I know it's been forever since a post
>>
/po/- some internet friends and the occasional nazi do origami.
>>
Praise kek
>>
BC it shit intit bruv
>>
>>544726
>I've always considered there to be two classes in origami, the folders and the artists.
This. But a lot of models require post-processing to look good, especially with wet-folding, and it is fun to tweak a model a bit. Of course the talent needed to make a model look natural is way below the talent needed to think of this model, but every folder is a designer waiting to happen.
>>
>>544635
I fucking hate that with a passion when I try and show someone how to do some origami. Then once it's done I can see them wondering why theirs is so shit compared to mine
>>
>>545137
Why did it get deleted? It was a good get.
>>
>>545144
Against the rules of this board
>>
>>544928
I'd say some easy origami looks fantastic if done correctly, which I admit novices would lack the skill for that.

>>544994
I had a somewhat related issue literally yesterday, my sister balked about how I told her I was folding my newest design, saying "You told me that hours ago."

Another problem is when you tell someone who has never seen how intricate it can be the origami is your hobby. They think you just sit around folding cranes all day. Our hobby has little mainstream acknowledgement

>>545111
That is how many artists say they got started. But sometimes knowing how to pretty up a model doesn't mean you can think of one on your own. Some people lack inspiration and imagination

>>545015
I created a Luxo lamp, haven't seen that around. Also I just finished another model I'll be posting soon that I have also never seen around
>>
>>545336
Pshh, rules
>>
>>544566
I can fold a crane. Am I one of you yet?
>>
>>544634
>>544659
And a guro board.

This place is run by hypocrites.
>>
I guess many people would consider it a low-energy hobby, maybe even worse than knitting.

But people don't have to know, I only do origami in the comfort of my own home, where I can't be judged by those that don't even care about it in the first place.

But this is the right thing for me, makes me grateful the internet exist, the crappy paperfolding books at the local bookstore just don't cut it.
>>
>>544623
The difference between the two boards is immeasurable... and funny.
>>
its pretty faggy and pretentious
>>
>>545018
>suiseki
>>
>>545451
>pretentious

One of the most welcoming communities on 4chan, and countless forums where people go out of their way to help you.

U wot m8?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
When I was in the mental hospital the people loved my origami since we where only allowed paper and crayons to entertain ourselves. They always wanted masu boxes.
>>
>>545471
Why were you there.
>>
File: 1474421889878.webm (88KB, 226x222px) Image search: [Google]
1474421889878.webm
88KB, 226x222px
>>
>>544620
I'm not one to criticize other cultures but that's fucking stupid
>>
>>545612
You've never had high quality, handmade paper before, have you? That stuff is amazing
>>
>>544726
Same thing with tattoo. I had to dictate precisely what I wanted for mine because she was just a good "tattoo-er", but not an artist. I just wanted a dood that would work on a idea of mine in his own unique way.
>>
>>544566
Because it's hard
>>
>>544566
High level of difficulty.
Normies lack our autistic levels of patience.
>>
>>545673
>>545676
>follow a series of 80 pictures
>hard
>>
>>545682
>autistically follow folding instructions for hours.
>not hard

Maybe you're just an autist m8.
>>
>>544659
RIP /l/
Hiro should really bring it back. I mean, loli is legal in Japan, so there should be no problem for him.
>>
>>544737
>people go through depression episodes and melancholy phases
more news at 11
>>
Howdy paper folding nerds. I come with a message of peace.
>>
>>544566
this is the 1st time i browsed po (im from /pol) and i find this paper shit interesting...might give it a whirl

might go for the polygon models of ff7 characters 1st.
>>
>>544566
Dont you worry /po/
I came here accidentally from /pol/
But I became interested in origami after looking at your paper stars thread.
Together we will make origami and papercraft great again.
>>
>>545427
>>545859
first time poster on /po/ here

most frequented boards
Used to be /b/ but then I became an adult
now its /d/ and /trash/
fav board: /wsg/

you know loli is legal in the U.S. it just can't be ACTUAL children. Other than that you're fine.
>>
i came here by mistake.
it's cool that this community exists, but I could only appreciate origami every now and again - dont think it could be my hobby
>>
>>544566
Also an accidental /pol/ /po/ click, but I think origami is unpopular due to the perceptions versus reality of partaking in it. I mean origami looks incredible and people are generally drawn to it. But then the reality of actually making for themselves what they see usually turns out incredibly crappy and nowhere near the beautiful forms they had seen online, in a book, etc. I think this sours people with a negative impression at that point. I mean it's messed up but it's basically human nature. We all want the greatest reward with the minimalist level of effort and when our reward doesn't stack up with the expectation of the reward we envisioned we tend to get discouraged. The internet has ruined many of us to many fields or hobbies because we all expect to be instant experts.
>>
File: 1453282734843.jpg (69KB, 600x810px) Image search: [Google]
1453282734843.jpg
69KB, 600x810px
>>545996
>I became an adult
>now its /d/ and /trash/
>>
File: 1475367788121s.jpg (3KB, 124x125px) Image search: [Google]
1475367788121s.jpg
3KB, 124x125px
>>545933
this
>>
>>545583

he was obsessed with paper folding.
>>
The jews
>>
What are the candidates views on papercraft?
>>
Who here shitposting because you went through all the pol threads?
>>
>>544566
I didn't even realize this was a thing that existed until I accidentally clicked on this board just now.

And I've been on 4chan for ten years.
>>
>>544566
I hope it's okay if I ask here.

Is there an age limit with origami? I am 25 and wanted to start with it but feel discouraged with my hands.
>>
>>546110
Fuck off back to >>>/reddit/
>>
Let's discuss.>>546137
>>
>>546115
I started with 23, if you have some patience there is no problem.
>>
>>546115
the only age limit is parkinson age limit
>>
File: bla.png (157KB, 427x443px) Image search: [Google]
bla.png
157KB, 427x443px
>>546174
>>546196

Thx for the encouragement. I currently use paper from my college block (pic related), but it obviously sucks. Can you recommend me anything from origami-shop?
>>
>>546226
Once printer paper is not enough you have roughly 2 options :

1)Kraft paper or similar : cheap, thinner, stronger, bigger, crispier, sometimes one side is colored.

2)Kami paper or similar : also better than printer paper in almost everything, and it's pretty cheap. The sheets are usually pretty small but certainly more beautiful than kraft.

You can buy kraft paper in shops IRL, it's not hard to find. Look on the internet for kami price, a lots of artstore are selling them at stupidly high prices, don't get fooled.
>>
File: 1470081319172.jpg (48KB, 492x449px) Image search: [Google]
1470081319172.jpg
48KB, 492x449px
>>546240

Thanks for your advice. Just wanted to order some online but the 12€ delivery fee is just ridiculous.

Probably have to leave my basement tomorrow.
>>
File: d0c.jpg (382KB, 1492x1080px) Image search: [Google]
d0c.jpg
382KB, 1492x1080px
>using paper
>not a computer to make sick 3d shit
>>
>>546115
>>546240
To start or to keep doing it? I'm 24 and started when I was a kid, but trailed off until high school. A lot of famous artists had resurgences in college or later life, so it's not unreasonable to start late altogether.

If you want super cheap paper, learn how to make tissue foil. I make my designs out of it, and spend about 3-5 dollars to make numerous sheets. remember if using spray glue to use it outdoors, and if using white glue to dilute it a bit
>>
File: 1473047573725.jpg (73KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
1473047573725.jpg
73KB, 850x400px
>>545933
Same
I thought that origami was stupid but I accidentally came here and saw some cool shit. Origami is a great way to kill time in between classes and it barely cost any money.
You redpilled me on origami thanks /po
>>
>>544566
Because you need patience and time and the internet ruined us.

I started origami 12 years ago, stopped 4 years ago and then started again because i accidentally clicked /po/ instead of /pol/.

I immediately tried some more complicated dragon with an youtube instruction. I had no problem and it looked decent on the first try. But i still got very impatient afer 30min of folding.

When i first started origami >10 years ago i had some shitty diagrams and no youtube videos.
I had the patience to spend hours and even after 20 failed attempts i did not give up.
But today i get angry after the first failed model.

Normies just can't deal with that.
I remember when i folded a crane in public because i was bored. They looked at me like i was some crazy super nerd, just because i am able to remember 10 folds for a fucking easy crane.
>>
File: sadmoot.png (311KB, 514x433px) Image search: [Google]
sadmoot.png
311KB, 514x433px
>>546315
>I remember when i folded a crane in public because i was bored. They looked at me like i was some crazy super nerd, just because i am able to remember 10 folds for a fucking easy crane.
iktf
>>
>>544566
idk but the main reason I don't do it is that paper and cardstock are not as durable as I'd like. have made/owned some things made of paper and they always seem to get wrecked when I move. and most knickknacks, I can dust them with a damp cloth; with paper, not so much.
>>
>>545932
>>544662
>>546307
Are you doing it wrong on purpose? Is this some sort of bait?
>>
>>544616
>>544635

Once I was teaching some people how to do origami and it was mind boggling how some people couldn't fold paper in half despite being told to fold in half and to lineup the edges. Is it because they just don't think as spatially as we paper nerds?
>>
>>545471
Similar experience, I taught people how to make flowers, surprisingly just about everyone was interested in learning.

>was there cuz the suicidal
>>
>>546692
Fuck, this makes me nervous. I was planning to teach somebody a simple crane, but if what you said is true, I might end up punching them in the face.
>>
>>546693
>>was there cuz the suicidal
Did it help, if you don't mind me asking? I've been thinking of going for the same reason but I'm worried about social stigma and all that.
>>
Because it's boring.
>>
>>544566
Cause its japanese
>>
>>544607
A piece of college-ruled note paper gave me a papercut when I wouldn't give it my dollar bills. God only knows what it was going to do to those poor Washingtons.
>>
>>544654

This board is so nice I love it.

>started on /pol/
>moved to /fit/
>come here sometimes and it's so relaxed
>>
>>544623
stay awhile, its nice to have company.
>>
>tfw I don't do origami or anything like that

I don't know what I am doing on this board
>>
File: 1469336148959.jpg (18KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1469336148959.jpg
18KB, 400x400px
>Usually stick to /k/
>check out /po/ for the hell of it
>mfw I must learn to origami a gun.

One day...
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.