[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start taking photos with something that's not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 5

File: ZPR-RICOH-GR-II-FRONT.jpg (169KB, 1024x572px) Image search: [Google]
ZPR-RICOH-GR-II-FRONT.jpg
169KB, 1024x572px
I want to start taking photos with something that's not my phone, but I want it to be something that's easy to carry around.

I can't stop hearing about the Ricoh GR here. Do I take the plunge with this, or do I look into the Fujifilm X100S/T?

Which would you recommend for a beginner who doesn't want a DSLR and is probably not going to upgrade this camera for a while.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
>>2753880

gear thread you fucking cuck.
>>
>>2753880

Get a fucking DSRL or keep using your phone.

the Ricoh doesn't even have a view finder.

also, gear thread.
>>
>>2753884
>the Ricoh doesn't even have a view finder.
OH NO!
>>
>>2753880
The GR is for people who know what they are doing. Get a DSLR and use the gear thread!
>>
>>2753880
X100T if you want a tactile feel (similar-ish to a older film camera) and nice aesthetics, GR if you want the smallest size possible as well as greatest image quality. I own both (don't ask me why) and I like them both, but they're very different. The lack of viewfinder on the GR doesn't bother me really, I own a cheap Olympus ovf which does the job just fine. Try both and find which one you like

>>2753901
>"I want it to be something that's easy to carry around"
>"get a DSLR"

Is it possible that you never learned to read?
>>
>>2753880
I just bought the x100t. It's a little more complicated to use than the GR if you dont know what youre doing, and harder to carry around.
>>
The GR is a toy for fags too poor to afford an X100, which is a toy for fags too poor to afford a Leica.
>>
>>2753927
And a Leica is a toy for fuckbois too poor to afford MFD.
Or maybe we can just shoot what we want.
>>
I bought the Ricoh GR II a few weeks ago, and so far I think it's a great camera.

Small, intuitive and great image quality. And unlike my Canon gear, images have a lot of dynamic range. The original color profile is a bit flat, but that is easily remedied in post.

So far, no issues with dust, but when it's not in use I always keep it stored in a small carrying case.

Lack of viewfinder doesn't bother me, although obviously there are times when it would be helpful.
>>
>>2753931
>Or maybe we can just shoot what we want.

That's the whole point: you can't, so you have to use a GR.
>>
>>2753931
MFD is a toy for fuckbois too poor to afford LFD
>>
>>2753948
LFD is a toy for fuckbois too poor to afford a good sculptor.
>>
So a new photographer should just become a sculptor then.

Okay.
>>
File: 13703664314_86af4a6012_b.jpg (471KB, 1024x678px) Image search: [Google]
13703664314_86af4a6012_b.jpg
471KB, 1024x678px
the GR is a brilliant camera. it's small, fast, sleep.. the IQ is great.

imo the only weakness is that it's not that fun to use.

pic related
>>
>>2753985

*sleek
>>
>>2753985
Is the X series more "fun"?
>>
>>2753988

The x100 series especially is a ton of fun.
>>
>>2753988

probably. desu I'm thinking of selling my GR since my iphone has pretty much replaced it.
>>
>>2753884
>doesn't even have a view finder.
kill your self please gearfag
>>
>>2753935
>images have a lot of dynamic range.
>The original color profile is a bit flat

Thats the point, not being a dick, but in case you didn't know
>>
>>2753985
What makes it not fun?
>>
>>2753998
Worth the extra 100-200 from the GR to the S, or the extra 300-400 from the GR to the T?
>>
>>2754054
Completely worth it. Though I'd actually recommend picking up a second hand X-E2 instead.
>>
>>2754061
I'm a bit of a beginner as well and don't want to go overboard with the budget, especially since I'm not sure how far I'll go with this as a hobby.
>>
>>2754067
Then stick with a Ricoh GR. Why would you buy a $1300 camera that isn't even marketed towards beginners if you're not sure you're going to stick with it?
>>
>>2754074
>>2754067
X-E2 and adapter/manual lens is cheaper in Euroland than an X100s/t or a Ricoh GR.
If you stick with photography then you can buy other lenses or use more and it's a great camera to learn with (like the X100). The X-E2 also has a firmware update coming out real soon that adds electronic shutter for silent shooting.

If OP isn't 100% sure whether they'll stick with photography then there are other compacts and mirrorless options out there that are cheaper too.
>>
>>2754079
you can buy x pro 1 for same price as x-e2
there is no good reason to bu x-e2
>>
How much could I reasonable expect to get a used X100T for anyway? I see a lot on ebay at around 850-1000 dollars.
>>
>>2753880
fuji x70.
if you want something cheaper, sony a5100.
>>
File: PEDORAY.jpg (117KB, 466x466px) Image search: [Google]
PEDORAY.jpg
117KB, 466x466px
>>2754107
>There is no good reason to buy X-E2
Except for the fact it has the same sensor, has a flash built in, can shoot at a faster burst rate and has a new firmware due very soon that enables electronic shutter and includes the latest AF system all for the same price.
There is only one good reason to buy an X-Pro 1 over an X-E2 at the same price and that's the OVF/HVF.

I get it. You really want to force the OVF/HVF on people

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Created2015-10-30T22:13:02
FlashNo Flash Function
Image Width466
Image Height466
>>
I use an X-Pro 1 for a second body to my D600, and it's definitely worth the current price of them.

Get the 27mm f/2.8 pancake for it, and it's as small as the X100 series, with a few higher end features. And if you end up wanting to get a little more serious, it has changeable lenses, so you don't have to buy an entirely new camera.
>>
>>2754123
Don't forget PDAF!
>>
>>2754126
I'm waiting for the X-Pro 2 to become reasonable widespread so the price of used X-Pro 1s drops. Saw one go for $450 AUD with a bunch of extras yesterday which is already crazy low
>>
>>2754123
How the fuck can they add an electronic shutter with a firmware update?
X-pro 1 and x-e2 have the same AF system and firmware.

Maybe you are thinking of the X-E2S, which is a new camera.
Either way, you are fucking idiot.
>>
>>2754157
>X-pro 1 and x-e2 have the same AF system and firmware
No.

http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-hong-kongs-says-fuji-x-e2-firmware-4-coming-mid-january/

The X-E1 has the same system as the XPro1. The X-E2 has a newer system.
>>
>>2754157
Nah m8. The X-E2 is a different camera from the X-Pro 1/X-E1. The X-E2 is getting the Electronic shutter refresh that the X-T10 and X-E2s has added in the next update. There is no physical change required for this to work as all ES does is refresh the sensor to capture an image (this gives shutter speeds from 1/32000 - 1s).
With this update, it's now ahead of the X-Pro 1 and is a completely sensible choice unless you NEED an OVF/HVF. The X-Pro 1 is abandoned now, just like the X-E1. It's time for the X-Pro 2 to shine. You just got to face facts that the X-E2 is now an objectively better camera for a beginner who doesn't need an OVF. Electronic shutter actuations don't wear out anything mechanically either, which allows a beginner to learn how to expose things differently too.

I wouldn't expect the X-E2 to get another firmware update after this though. Any other updates or features will likely be added into the X-E3 or equivalent.

Either way, you are a fucking misinformed idiot. I'm not suggesting you go full gearfag but I'd at least suggest you read up on changes before recommending cameras to people. :^)
>>
>Something thats not your phone
>Easy to carry around

yeah the GR should fit you nicely, i love mine and want to be cremated with it once i die
>>
>>2753880

Try getting your hands on a few different models to see how they feel, if that's possible at all.
>>
>>2753880
Is there a reason no one ever recommends the a6000?
>>
>>2754222
Its main selling point is the auto focus, that's really about it, nothing too spectacular about the image quality, or low-light performance

its basically for beginners wanting to shoot sports, like their nephew's soft ball game
>>
Does anybody know a good compact camera that I can sneak into concerts and gets great photos with low light?
>>
>>2754249
You might like a Ricoh GR
>>
>>2754249

don't listen to this shill >>2754265
you want a sony a7s.
>>
>>2754270
a7s + lens is like 40 GRs price
>>
>>2754224
So what's a good alternative to it?

For say, portrait stuff and lowlight?
>>
>>2754285
Sony suffers from no lens syndrome. It straight lacks some needed focal lengths and optical qualities from its lens lineup or the only options are bloody expensive.
The best beginner option is still a DSLR, be it Pentax, Nikon or Canon. The performance is more or less the same with mostly less in the case of Canon on high ISO and low light. There are great lens options for beginners that fits into a tight budget. Other than the obvious kit lens there are cheap fast standard 35mm (50mm equivalent) and 50mm (75-80mm equivalent) for portraits, both are around $100-150, not to mention the Canon 24mm pancake which is an excellent piece of glass also around $150.
If you seriously considering picking up photography as a hobby I'd suggest starting with a DSLR.
>>
>>2754290
I'm the guy that was shilling sony earlier, and the guy that was arguing with that guy too. And I have to say, in honesty, this guy is right. When you start with a DSLR and a 'normal' prime you'll develop your eye, mastery of fundamentals, and best of all you'll develop habits. then if you feel those habits lend themselves to other camera types, do that. I started with a DSLR and bought an X-T1 because I found my style well suited to the manual controls. Then an A7 because I fell in love with the Loxia lenses.

Anyway, my point, to add to the post before is that the best way to determine what gear is best for you is through experience. And don't worry about the 'gearfag' thing. I'm going to keep floating around gear until i find that "extension of my eye" to stroke HCB. And i'm sure as shit not going to care if /p/ labels me a gearfag.

shoot some photos, learn what you like, buy that thing, repeat until you're retired with a leica M
>>
>>2754297
This poster is a spoiled child.
>>
File: fujifilm-x70-front[1].jpg (169KB, 1280x908px) Image search: [Google]
fujifilm-x70-front[1].jpg
169KB, 1280x908px
err hello?
>>
>>2754249
The Canon SL1 with either a 24, 40 or 50mm prime would be a nice, small (for a DSLR) and inexpensive camera. Granted it's not as small as a Ricoh GR II, Fuji X70 or Sony RX100/a6000, but you'll have access to plenty of glass and it's actually one of the cheapest options at about $550 with body and an aforementioned lens.
>>
>>2754061
I wouldn't, if he's looking to buy something along the lines of an x100 or a Ricoh. The manual lenses are actually quite clunky and really make the pocket able size of the X-E2 useless. I let myself got convinced to get the X-E1 instead of the X100 or 100s and I have barely taken 200 pictures with it in the past 2-3 months. Probably gonna sell it for a Ricoh or X100s soon
>>
Is the T really worth it over the S? The price of the S is much more palatable as a newbie.
>>
>>2754602
No, not really. The T has got the 'classic chrome' film emulation filter, a more refined/distinct handgrip and a slightly better AF.

If you want classic chrome, then google will be your friend. There is a way to make it work with an X100(s).
>>
>>2754301
no, i just have a job, dumbass.
>>
>>2754647
T has better AF and the HVF which is cool IMO.
>>
>>2754388
xe1 is shit brah.
>>
>>2753958
Good sculptures are a toy for fuccbois too poor and dumb to build a massive 3D printer
>>
>>2758354
*sculptors
>>
>>2753884
>Get a fucking DSRL
Fuck that shit, literally no point any more for most purposes.
>>
>>2754961
I wasn't claiming otherwise. It's got pretty decent high ISO performance though
>>
>>2754647
The viewfinder on the T is worth it alone above the S. You should try it.

OP should be looking at the Fuji x70 though as its more a direct competitor to the GR.
>>
>>2758756

Not enough to justify the price over a used S in decent shape IMHO.

Unless someone wanted to use it as their main camera or just felt like blowing an extra $500.
>>
>>2753880
Hey OP.
i'm in the same position as you and I bought a GR Digital III. Personally I find not having a viewfinder really annoying and not that great. (Plus buying a viewfinder for it is another $200)

i'd go straight for a dslr if i was you
>>
>>2758833
Ok, well if youre going to compare used S to a new T, then of course the disparity is larger. But thats kind of a bullshit comparison. You can get an open box T on amazon for $950.
>>
>>2758836
If youre already used to having a viewfinder, you arent in the same position as OP.
>>
>>2758933
Even used t models are kind of a Shit deal vs the s version.
>>
OP here.

I ended up compromising between the idea of getting a super portable camera and a DSLR by getting an X100s.

Hopefully I didn't make an awful decision. What do I need to know about it once I start fiddling around with it? It sounds like I should mess around with aperture priority setting first to get a feel for adjusting ISO and aperture before going full manual?
>>
>>2758978
also I heard something about an ND filter, should I be finding that and using it or am I getting in over my head past just figuring out exposure?
>>
>>2758985

It has a built in 3 stop ND, obv only use it when you would normally use an ND and not for the sake of it.

I switched from Nikon DSLR to x100s a few months ago and am not going back, i love the colours, even the jpgs straight out of the camera. Just play around with it, use p or Aperture or whatever mode you normally would.
>>
>>2758991
First real camera. I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. I'm reading up on the exposure triangle right now.

I guess I should just take it out and fiddle around with the settings in order to see what comes out and get used to everything?
>>
>>2758944
Explain why.
>>
>>2758993
Keep the box, you might be better off with an x70
>>
Try manual mode.
The luxury of digital is you can snap away and not waste any money.
I grew up with film point and shoots and SLR's and was a poor fag so I couldnt fuck around and experiment.

Going banans with manual will teach you cause and effect. "Shit, everything is black! A little tweaky here. Click. Oh, i can see shit now".

Keep practicing, master the controls.
>>
File: Z-PANASONIC-LX100-TOP.jpg (68KB, 1024x533px) Image search: [Google]
Z-PANASONIC-LX100-TOP.jpg
68KB, 1024x533px
>>2753880

LX100

>but m-m-muh megapixles
>>
>>2759157
>cropping the sensor of a crop sensor camera
>>
>>2759096

There's still a fucking huge price gap for not a whole lot of difference in image quality, at least in my area.
>>
>>2753884
>the Ricoh doesn't even have a view finder.
gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Just when they hype was starting to get me interested. I fucking hate screens.
>>
>>2753985
>not that fun to use
>fun pic
wut?
>>
>>2758354
>Massive 3D printers are a toy for fuccbois too poor and dumb to buy a factory in China
>>
>>2759395
>what is GV-1
>what is GV-2
>countless other options from different manufacturers
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.