[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's ok being a hobbyist but you will never make it and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (73KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 512x288px
It's ok being a hobbyist but you will never make it and achieve anything in your photography if you never become a professional. I'm like that as well but you will forever be an "amateur" who's photographs won't exceed the snapshot status. All the best photographs in this world were shot by pros and not amateur snapshooters who talk about gear all the time and has no plan becoming a pro.

DigitalRev showed it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccf8fQ4AQr8

I myself only improved so much when I started getting paid for my photos. I've recently shot a wedding and it taught me a lot.

You can only become an artist if you turned pro.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width512
Image Height288
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
B-but I don't want to make it or achieve anything anon. I just want to take pictures for my own enjoyment.
>>
>>2735999
Then you have failed. You are no different than the selfie casuals.
>>
I'm not a professional photographer because there are literally better things to do in life. I like it as a hobby.

Same thing with gaming.
>>
>using the cockney nip channel as irrefutable proof of anything
there are people posting top-level shit here who are nothing more than amateurs, and there are pros such as mr. Rockwell, whose pics are pure diarrhoea
don't get all high and mighty just because you shot a fucking wedding m8
>>
>>2735822
You put pros on a pedestal but in reality being a professional usually means you're on an equal technical and artistic level to a serious hobbyist or artist photographer (which is actually what a lot of famous photographers are/were).

The difference is having more experience (which isn't always make you good, it *can* just make you jaded), and potentially being given access to people and environments that the average hobbyist or artist wouldn't. You might also be more driven to take many images, though they won't usually be images you want to make, which is why many pros have personal portfolios for their own enjoyment. Frankly, most pro photographers are more like businessmen or tradesmen. I've listened to some of them talk and it's apparent that "getting the shot" is actually the number one priority. This isn't to say that they all make bad or mediocre work, it just means that there's times where you'd have to settle on a shot or work some kind of photoshop fuckery to make it redeemable, even if it would never meet the artistic standards for your own personal work.
>>
>>2735822
You sound like a superstitious person. "Going pro" isn't some mythical incantation that you will never be able to chant. Ask yourself what skills are gained by selling your photos and marketing yourself, and endeavor to improve those areas.

Pros usually have a formal education in photography, art, journalism, or similar areas. You get a lot of feedback in a college photography class that you don't get as an amateur learning from books and the internet. You also get a lot more feedback when you are selling yourself and your photos, and, as a pro, you need to start taking that feedback very seriously or else you won't make money/a name for yourself. If you think it's really impossible to get the same or similar kind of feedback without changing careers, though, then you are a rube. Ansel Adams was a concert pianist and gave piano lessons for much of his career. If you can make money selling your photos, then good for you, but don't think that shooting a wedding gives you elite knowledge that can't be gained any other way.
>>
>>2735822
>level 2
:^)
>>
>>2735822
Most pros are still massively concerned about gear, and they do talk about it.

It's not "lel, just go out into the street and shoot" for most.

It's "prepare shit on a meticulous gearfag level the likes even /p/ has few of, because you don't want to fail customers".
>>
>>2736099
>being a professional usually means you're on an equal technical and artistic level to a serious hobbyist or artist photographer

LOL

pros know how to make flawless bland photos, nothing else. they are the most unartistic fucks on earth. source: any pro portfolio, ever.
>>
>>2736061
No, you've sold out. You're now taking pictures with no artistic value so you can keep the lights on.
>>
>what is Vivian Meier

OP confirmed for Rebel-toting soccer mom
>>
>>2736336
Everybody should check out the documentary Finding Vivian Meier. It is really interesting.
>>
>>2736330
>selling out is a bad thing

LOL that just means I'm better than amateurs because people are paying for my photos.

The best cooks out there are chefs and not your mom.
Everyone knows that the best athletes out there play professionally.
>>
>>2736713
you remind me of a guy I knew from playing World of Warcraft. He was obsessed with being the best. That was his only goal. And he literally sounded like that guy from the Onyxia Wipe video. Sure, he got to clear Sunwell and I didn't, but I got to enjoy playing the game and he didn't.

So, enjoy bragging about how much better you are than us scrubs, I guess. God knows that was his only pleasure.
>>
>>2736749
>WoW sub

behind anonymous, infinite prep time for lies and google, your stand comes from playing WoW

>JUST
>>
>>2735822
Also, water is wet.
>>
>>2735822
>Levels of Photographers
>Levels

why.jpg

Is real life like an rpg?
>>
that untalented chink is autistic and shit.
>>
>>2737836
Yeah, that's why people piss and moan when 'amateurs' buy a 'professional' camera. They just used cheat codes, instead of progressing through the campaign, completing the necessary side-quests and unlocking the prerequisite achievements.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.