[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 62

File: 1492684714586.jpg (428KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1492684714586.jpg
428KB, 1200x1600px
#148-"Give The Dog A Bone" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>994887

So I forgot all about the F&T Easter Santa Gift Exchange™ but since it's spring and everybody is finally getting back out on the water again, I know we still have a couple fags that are down for another $25 secret gift exchange.

Just like Xmas, email Pepsi with what type of fishing you do and shipping info that I can pass on to whoever gets picked to shop for you. I think most people just ordered straight from their preferred website and had it shipped to the anons so it's easy and inexpensive and was a lot of fun.

>getsomememes at gmail

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
420 blaze it amirite xD
>>
is putting braid on my spinning reel any different than putting mono on
>>
Why is that abomination on the op?

Carp are trash fish.
>>
File: image.jpg (276KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
276KB, 640x1136px
>>997079

>Alright, thanks for teaching me something new.
No worries. Sorry if I came off as a dick I just wasn't sure if you were trolling or not.

>You fish Texas rigged stuff with that heavy stuff right?
Yeah I mostly use a MH for Texas rigs. Even fishing open water the lowest I'd go for throwing a Texas rig is a medium because any less and your hook sets become a lot less solid. Also, heavy rods are used so you can yank the fish from cover and get it into open water. With a UL if you hook that fish and he immediately dives under a grass mat you're kinda boned.

>Get it down past the top water weeds and push it through a lot more beneath?
Yes that's why you see people using 1-2oz weights.

>And heavier line pulls through the stuff better than light line that can get torn up?
The heavier line is just so you don't break your line pulling the lure/bass through cover or on good hook set. Or incase the fish wraps you up on something.
>>
>>997097
>And heavier line pulls through the stuff better than light line that can get torn up?

Also yes. High test line won't get torn up as fast.
>>
>>997090
It's the same.
I always use some old cheap mono as backing though. Filling a >2500 reel with braid can be expensive.
I end up with 2/3 mono and 1/3 braid tied together with a double uni knot.
>>
>>997097
>>997098
Thanks. When do I know when to use top water frogs vs deep down lures for heavy vegetation? Or is it just preference?

Also for punching should I focus on keeping it down there or keep it moving?
>>
File: image.jpg (92KB, 600x583px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92KB, 600x583px
Has anyone here used Missile Baits Baby D Bombs™? I consistantly get 1-2 pound bass with them, no more no less. I'm going to try the full size version.

Floridafags, is it just me or is black/blue and junebug the most effective colors here? I can throw a green pumpkin zoom trick worm for an hour with out any bites and instantly start getting bites the second I switch to junebug.
>>
>>997083
>148-"Furry Fox Fly Fishing" Edition
>>
>>997100
Frogs will mostly get hit in your low light conditions. So morning, evening, and cloudy days.

If the sun is beating down the fish will most likely be real close to the bottom of the grass so that'll be when you want to use the heavy weights.

>Also for punching should I focus on keeping it down there or keep it moving?

Work it like you would a Texas rig pretty much. Sometimes you need to try and get it off the ground to get bites and sometimes you want to try to creep it through.

But some days you won't get bit on one and the other will work for no real reason so don't discount one or the other.
>>
File: 02.jpg (361KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
02.jpg
361KB, 800x1200px
How do you guys fish a "tough lake"?

I live very close to one of the biggest lakes in my state. It has a reputation for producing big smallmouths. Only problem is it has a lot of "pressure" as so many people are constantly there fishing it.

I've went to various forums for tips and advice and all it says is that lake is tough to fish.
>>
>>997112
thanks dude. Im at the stage of not being a complete noob to fishing but also have a tons to still learn. I love fishing with my UL but ive gotten into fishing only in the cold seasons, not really encountering a bunch of vegetation yet but i see it creeping up. As well as fishing flowing rivers that dont get overgrown.

There are some good ponds around that will get like that this summer so hopefully ill slay them.

Met some dude in the canal yesterday throwing crankbaits around and he landed 4 nice pickerel. And he too suggested heavier stuff. I personally hate anything with trebel hooks so i might get-gud at flipping tex rigged stuff. Will work well with all the overhanging trees and grass that will be growing out of it once it gets hot
>>
>>997117
>go to trout stocked pond with at least two dudes around the pond even in cold season
>never got a single fish out of it despite aiming for dinks half the time.
>go to pond a bit further away that isnt stocked and probably only has 2 lb bass at most.
>slay everything in the water
Honestly, sometimes it's not worth fishing in a spot even if there are better fish.
Id rather fish where the fishings good rather than where the fish are bigger.

But i also understand that you want to challenge yourself and get something out of that high pressured lake. So just try different things that others arent. Maybe they became line shy? Maybe they need slower lures and lures they never seen before?
>>
>>997123
I could look for ponds but I don't really know anyone that has one. I can't just drive up and start fishing on someone's property.

There are some local rivers that I have fished quite a bit, but the problem there is rain. It's rained so much the past month that the water is up and very muddy...so no bassing there.

The lake is always clear.

As far as presentations, yah I've mixed it up and tried different lures and speeds. In the past 2 weeks of fishing (probably went around 10 times) I've gotten one bite.

It shouldn't be that difficult.
>>
>>997083
>pic

I'm resisting the urge to image bomb this thread with fishing images just so it will stop being on the top of the catalog.

*hides kid thread*
>>
File: IMG_2331.jpg (96KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2331.jpg
96KB, 600x800px
>>997128
The people asked for it.

Do you want #148.5? I think this girl is next.

>>997117
Fish at the right time and use finesse presentations.
>>
>>997127
You have some guts to still decide to hit that lake. Id say use some really small lures and lighter line, but thats all i can suggest myself
>>
File: IMG_3611.png (458KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3611.png
458KB, 640x1136px
Would I look like a complete fag if I wore this fishin?

I mean I know I already look like a fag, but moreso...
>>
>>997146
Does it go around the shoulder or just the waist?
Ive seen countless dudes using bags to fish.
I think your fine. Ive seen someone wearing some bizzare ass sunglasses, i guess polarized ones. Like these looked like safety goggles but were a bit fashionable.
If it's obviously something that is holding fishing tackle, no one really cares.

if you want real advice, get a vest.
>>
>>997099
the guy at the store told me my reel doesn't need a backing of mono because it has rubber grips to hold the line in place
>>
>>997146
you wouldn't look like a fag but you'd definitely look like an autist
>>
>>997090
Mono stretches whereas braid doesn't stretch at all. Braid is more visible than mono though.
>>
>>997155
All fisherman look like autist.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170420-121807.png (450KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170420-121807.png
450KB, 1440x2560px
>>997083
How much attention should I pay to the fishing reports?
>>
>>997121
I'd suggest getting a general purpose MH rod with 20-30# braid or so. It really opens up your options with what lures you can use and you can try a lot more styles of fishing.

Then if you find a style you really like you can get a dedicated rod.

>>997117
Downsize or upsize the lures or give the bass something they've never seen before.

>>997140
>them legs

>>997146
I've thought about getting something like this for wading. Might pick it up since it's not very expensive.

>>997153
Polarized sunglasses are a god send for sight fishing. I thought it was a meme until I tried some.
>>
>>997169
My dad suggested polarized from the get go. Sight is pretty important even if you're not seeing the fish you're targetting, can at least see bait fish, structure, etc.
>>
>>997107
Depends where you at in florida. Watermeloooon green flukes work good late summer into fall. Right now crawdads and frogs seem to be hitting best. But up here in central all the water is low. We have big lakes 2 to 4 feet down. And little ponds are drying up.. It's making for some bad fishing. We need like a week of constant rain.
>>
>>997173
It's really crazy how much you can see with just a cheap pair. I've caught a couple fish I never would've known where there without them. Even in dirty water they help a lot. I've been contemplating getting a nice pair, but if they aren't really any better I'm not gonna spend $100 on some sunglasses lol.
>>
>>997158
i just put braid on my reel but it sounds like something is scraping when i reel it in

is that normal for braid?

also how long should my fluorocarbon leader be?
>>
>>997154
I think he was saying to use a backing to save braid.

>>997184
Just the braid going through the guides
>>
>>997183
What my father does is with his eye insurance the eye doctors office can "prescribe" sunglasses. So he gets 200 dollar pairs for free. Lol
>>
>>997154
As >>997191 said. I use mono as backing to save money. You're not gonna be using more than 100m of your line at most, so what are you gonna put behind it? Expensive braid or cheap mono? That was my point.

>>997184
It's normal for new braid to be a little stiff and therefore make those noises. Maybe it's the coloring, or maybe it has some strengthening qualities, but it will soften after some time.
>>
>>997162
some things you can use, like the fish being on beds. spawning doesnt finish up in a week so once the weekly report comes out it may still be useful. Water temperature is a better indicator though.

specific locations are mostly all worthless. fish don't just stick around one area and if it gets advertised it's going to get pressured hard. fish somewhere else.

lures in the report are worthless. fish what you know how to use. color changes day to day. the DNR weekly report in michigan uses any report they get from people. for example, i saw one where they reported steelhead being caught on twister tails just because some guy caught one and reported to the dnr that they were hitting twister tails.
>>
>>997140
I've been going by the solunar calendar a lot. which has had me down there early morning/late evening/ late night etc.

what do you mean by finesse fishing?

slow fishing worms/lizards etc?
>>
>>997083
I I wanted a cheap 7+ foot UL rod for mostly trout and panfish, what would I get?
>>
>>997109
> 148 "Furious Fly Fishing Furry Fox Fights Faggot Fish Fairly." Edition
>>
>>997140
>>997169
That knee
>>
>>997281
Can't unsee
>>
>>997199
Kek I should try and do that.
>>
Who else here keeps a fishing go bag in the garage? I have one that I can grab and run with (along with a rod) and just be immediately ready to fish with zero prep.
>>
>>997289
I just keep a couple two-piece rods in my trunk and a tackle box.
>>
>>997293

I tried that but wound up with six rods and a tripod in the car, and a roofbox filled with assorted tackle. Needed to limit it.
>>
>>997289
I always keep cheap beater combos like my penn fierce/ugly stik gx2 in my car. Inb4 mad Pepsi
>>
>>997090

Braid with a fluoro leader for me. Mono gives me no contact with my lure at all, with braid you feel everything.
>>
>>997091
Fun on fly though
>>997146
Do it just for lols
>>997280
Lol
>>997321
>>997090
It also lasts way long
>>997091
The keks
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>997289
I have all my tackle in my car, but it's under the floor so it looks like I don't have anything in the back. I have a little tackle bag with my most used lures that stays in the back seat. I keep most of my rods at home, but I normally have at least one with me.
>>
>>997281
You guys dont disappoint when it comes to finding flaws in women
>>
Any recommendations for a memecaster reel? The one I had my heart set on isn't offered in left hand. So with that being said I'd like a quality reel priced anywhere from 75-200. Preferably somewhere in the middle of that range, that's offered in left hand,
>>
>>997364
Can't go wrong with a curado
>>
>>997364
Revo S is like $80 right now at Dick's if you buy it by 10pm tonight. Can't go wrong with any of the Revos
>>
>>997364
Curado or STX
>>
Some guy discussing carp on my local forums
>Cut the gills, leave it on the bank. Sometimes people will take them, if not the raccoon will thank you. Seeing less and less carp in the ladder and more and more shad and bass. I was above the falls and a guy was fishing the slack water by the parking lot. He reels in this huge carp, being a Russian guy I thought it was going right in the cooler. I helped him net the beast, he was using a saltwater set up. I ask if he is keeping it, he says NO ! I am in shock, then I ask him if I can have it and he said sure ! I toss it in the bed of my truck and the next day I threw it in the dumpster at work. They really destroy habitat badly. Don't let any of this on because you have people like <forum user> that love the rubber lips.

Thought his words deserve to be posted here. (my state doesnt list them as a kill-on-sight species)
>>
File: image.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>>997432
RIP in piece
>>
>>997438
My state does allow bow+arrow fishing however. Any buying tips? I dont think ill do it much.

Would be gracious if I can bag like 25 of them in one day and post it to that guy
>>
>>997442
I would buy a used bow off of craigslist ect and I have the AMS reel on my bow which was like around $90 iirc. You can get some less expensive ones but I think the AMS one is the best for the money.

I don't really do it that much either so I can't tell you what set ups are the very best.
>>
could their be natural trout in creeks they arent known to be in?

some guy on fishbrain uploaded a picture of rainbow and im wondering if i should check it out
>>
>>997146
nice fanny pack fag
>>
>>997446
Yea wild trout streams confuse me sometimes. Id just go check it out. Worst thing that happens you dont catch any fish, might make it out with some cute dink fish. Best thing is that you discover trout and give good info for the DNR.

That's one of my "goals" in fishing is to find not get a wild trout but discover a stream where they're not known to be in
>>
>>997146

only if you wear it with a fedora and tevas with socks on
>>
GUYS I just caught my first pike. Ever since I moved north catching a northern has been my goal, and I finally got one. Not gonna post a pic because technically taking a picture of an out of season fish after catching it is illegal, and it wasn't much for size, but I'm hyped.
>>
File: IMG_4851.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4851.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>997454
That's what I've been attempting to do at pic related. Hasn't worked out too well but that's mostly due to me being shit at fly/trout fishing

If I do manage to do it it will undoubtably be one of the most fulfilling catches ever.

Im bringing a little net next time I go so I can identify those minnows I saw. It was driving me crazy that I couldn't devise a plan to capture one. Felt like a caveman

>>997476
Nice. I'm heading up to Quebec for a week next month for pike. Going to a privately owned lake that is strictly catch and release and is loaded with fuck huge lake trout, walleye, and pike. Should be good time
>>
File: IMG_4851.jpg (3MB, 3483x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4851.jpg
3MB, 3483x3024px
>>997479
>inb4 Dude did you take this pic in Australia Xd hehe
>>
>tfw skid looks less creepy as a fox man
>>
Pepsi what is your go to Incredi Craw size and color?
>>
Does anyone else ware a wetsuit as opposed to waders when surf fishing?
>>
went fishing for the first time and I couldn't even find a good spot

I found one okay spot but it was on a big incline so i was sliding down into the water lol

what kind of lures are good for shore fishing a river?
>>
File: image.jpg (155KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
155KB, 720x1280px
I've been on a weird panfish kick. I think it's because they're so easy and the bass have been acting funny lately.
>>
File: IMG_20170420_192930.jpg (3MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170420_192930.jpg
3MB, 3456x4608px
Caught this guy on a popper I think it was almost 2 pounds but he fought like a 4 pounder.
>>
>>997559
One of my favorite things is just to go to a pond and pull out a bunch of sunfish.
>>
File: LC.jpg (60KB, 250x292px) Image search: [Google]
LC.jpg
60KB, 250x292px
>>
>>997269

http://m.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Micro-Lite-Glass-Spinning-Rod/product/36946/

This one isn't bad. Also it's bright yellow which makes it even more awsome
>>
File: IMG_3367.jpg (1MB, 3364x1379px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3367.jpg
1MB, 3364x1379px
>>997559
Pan fish plebing can be fun. Especially if you get enough to make a nice meal out of them.

I should really get out to the bay down the road from me, apperntly there has been a huge migration of gills moving through and every panfishing fag in Upstate NY it seems is out there with their 12 foot aluminum dingey bringing home limits every day

I refuse to go out when there are that many people out there though. They piss me off way too quickly with how retarded most of them are
>>
>>997561
Nice anadromous striper bowfin
>>
File: image.jpg (159KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159KB, 720x1280px
>>997564
It's just some easy good times

>>997577
Y'all have a limit on panfish? Interdasting.

>They piss me off way too quickly with how retarded most of them are

Yeah that's why I try to avoid other people when I fish lol.
>>
>>997099
>2500

Try an 8-10k, for those you really need mono backing. For 5k's and under I just spool braid.
>>
what kind of lures are good for shore fishing a river?

s-sorry no one responded and i dont know what to use...
>>
>>997574
If this is the one I'm thinking it is whippy as all fuck. Like a piece of 3/4 cooked spaghetti. I love L & UL and turned 360 and walked away.
>>
>>997597
For rivers, if you're wading and the river isn't big, I like them since you can toss expensive lures and not lose them. I'd try rapalas and jerk baits.
But I have success with jigs and creature baits on the bottom.
>>
>>997604
ill be fishing a big river (the saint lawrence in montreal) most of the time and I probably won't be wading out too much

thanks for the tips tho I'll try some jigs tomorrow
>>
>>997590
Yeah, every panfish has the same limit of 50 per person per day
>>997606
Shore fishing the St. Lawrence isn't easy. I'd unironicly recommend some size 3-4 Mepps and probably some jerk baits
>>
>>997621
Oh okay that's not bad at all then. We have so many down here we don't have any limits, but I'm sure it makes sense up there.
>>
>>997621
I thought I could fish the lakes/ponds near my house but it turns out there's no fishing allowed :(
>>
>>997624
Why not? Are they on private property or something? Best thing you can do is ask for permission if possible or you could just go and fish them anyway and if you get caught just politely leave

Another bait you could try is a natural colored tube jig.
>>
>>997625
they have no fishing signs on them so I don't want to tick anyone off :/
>>
>>997496
I have only seen them in like 3.5" or whatever the main size is. But I like the incredi-slims better. Still basically the same size but the main body is thinner so you don't have to run a fuckhueg hook to get a good hook set.

And colors- junebug is a solid but I got one called Okeechobee something I believe and it's has some dark blue and flakes it it with a more natural color on the bottom.

>>997626
Psh, just go for it. Most of the places I fish have signs like that. A lot of them are in commercial or industrial areas so it's perfect to go on a Sunday afternoon when nobody is around. But even on a Tuesday morning, they don't give a fuck if you just go cast some lures around. If you go and set up camp like a nigger with 6 rods and you are gutting the undersized bass on the shoreline, they might be pissed off.
>>
>>997630
it's residential so it's high traffic... I might try the smaller one and maybe fish where I can't see the sign and just leave if someone says I'm not allowed

I've seen carp and catfish in it so I know there's fish
>>
so palomar is the best easy knot right?
>>
>>997715
Palomar is the best knot period
>>
>>997715
Yessir.

Only thing it's not the best for is heavy flouro. Heavy flouro is hard to tie knots with anyway but the palomar just doesn't cinch down right. On light to medium mono or any weight braid, palomar a best.
>>
looking for a good ML spinning combo that's got good sensitivity

$100 or less is price bracket
>>
File: 1479767216498.jpg (1MB, 1920x1281px) Image search: [Google]
1479767216498.jpg
1MB, 1920x1281px
Is following the lure weight range for the rod necessary or is it nothing to worry about?
>>
>>997757
Only if you are casting hard
>>
>>997083
Waiting for the white bass to start running, should be starting within a week or two
>>
>>997757
too heavy and you can break the rod
>>
File: IMG_20170421_034240375.jpg (5MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170421_034240375.jpg
5MB, 4608x2592px
This has to be the smallest I've ever caught.
>>
File: IMG_20170421_013255516~2.jpg (635KB, 2220x1167px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170421_013255516~2.jpg
635KB, 2220x1167px
Destroying my PW tonight
>>
>>997780
>4.74MB
yeah nah fuck that shit m8
>>
>>997789
g'day mate
>>
File: dee550-600x600.jpg (78KB, 392x550px) Image search: [Google]
dee550-600x600.jpg
78KB, 392x550px
What's your favorite thing to Texas rig? Are colors more important than shape?
>>
>>997364
Lews speed spool I think it is for 100
>>997537
Hard to go wrong with mepps or curly tails
>>997715
For the most part. For line to line I like blood knots and fg knots (blood knot for mono-mono, fg for mono to braid)
>>997757
Usually the lure weight is the reccomended weight for max casting distance
>>997780
10/10 bass
>>
>>997820
Dangly shit like those Incredi-Craws, brush hogs, or lizards. But sometimes regular finesse worms are just right.

And for colors, honestly you only need like 3- Chartruese for bright, Junebug for dark, and something natural like Pumpkinseed or Watermelon Seed.
>>
>>997755
omen black at cabelas is 100$ with a free reel if u wait like 2months for the reel :]

but im sure someone has a better suggestion
>>
How many seasons does powerpro last? I really don't want to drop $20 on line, but the cheap braid I bought last season is already going bad really fast.
>>
>>997857
Had the same spool on for all of last year and going to keep it on there all year this year. I just took it off and put it back on backwards this winter so the line at the bottom is on the top. Basicly like a brand new spool.
>>
>>997820
I'll texas rig a senko, lizard, or any kind of worm really... Color seems more important to me. Bass hit pretty much anything though
>>
>>997857
I put some Sufix 832 on my reel a couple years ago and it's still fine this year.
>>
fish finders are cheating right?
>>
>>997879
No
>>
>>997330
>It also lasts way long

Totaly. I have saltwater reels I've had spooled with the same 20lb Dyneema for five years or more.
>>
>>997857
I'm coming up on 4 years with one of my reels and it's still going strong.

Dude at the bait shop said best strategy is to spool it up, run it for two years, then respool it the other direction and run for two more years. As long as you don't nest the shit and throw out tons of line, braid ends up being about the same price, if not cheaper, than good mono.
>>
I can throw crankbaits for salmon and trout right? They're not exclusively for bass?
>>
>>997718
You just have to careful when you tie it. Everything has to be perfect and you gotta leave yourself a tag end. I tie a polomar to 20lb flouro all day.

>>997820
Lizards. On shape vs color I think it depends on the lake, but I tend to lean more to changing profiles than colors.

>>997857
The main problem I have with making braid last more than a year on spinning reels is changing lures so much the braid gets too low. Usually there's enough left over line on the spool I can just add on tho. Even if you change it out every year it's definitely worth it.
>>
>>997857
2-3 years one way, turn it around, then 2-3 years the other way, so 4-6 years
>>997898
Id probably start worrying about turning it around, but yeah, braid lasts a long time
>>997930
You can but usually mepps are more popular for them
>>
Been using a simple top water frog bait for the past week.
The bass have been attacking it like crazy.
>>
>>998078
fun isnt it? really makes me want to kill myself knowing the prime froggin ponds across the street from me all got killed last year. Hopefully I will be able to figure out how to find them on the big lake once the summer starts
>>
If I keep working these fucking 12 hour shifts I will be able to buy a new surf reel to go with my st croxi mojo rod.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2704x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2704x2448px
>>998145
You mean a 704z right? Best surf reel ever made.
>super smooth drag
>so easy to take apart you can do it at the beach on a towel if you drop it in the sand
>all aluminum, I've never rinsed mine once and no rust
>made in the USA
>super strong gears
>>
File: image.jpg (480KB, 624x473px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
480KB, 624x473px
>40+ year old reel that's so good it's still in production in 2017
>>
>>998161
I hate spinning reels.

I will probably get a Penn Squall.
>>
Can you fish frogs underwater? You'll have to add a non-sliding weight. Seems like they virtually dont hang up on anything.
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 492x369px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 492x369px
>>998221
+ weighted hook
>>
File: image.jpg (878KB, 2439x1975px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
878KB, 2439x1975px
I hope I didn't just fall for a meme lure. They look like brush hogs but with more limbs
>>
>>998223
I mean like those hollow topwater ones.
>>
>>998228
Too bad no Incredi-Slim, but they are decent. Those extra limbs do work mang. I've had turtles hit them and they normally don't go for artificial baits like that.
>>
File: 1453054591295.png (78KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
1453054591295.png
78KB, 200x300px
>>998230
>hollow topwater
>underwater

for what purpose anon?
>>
>>998228
How can soft plastics be meme lures? A straight tube of plastic works, aka worms. Im certain any way you cut up one of those brush hogs you can land a fish on it
>>
>>998236
Basically it's a swimbait that is weedless. and those frogs tend to have great patterns on them that cant be represented on soft plastics.
>>
>>998239
you do realize you can make a swim bait weedless right?
>>
File: IMG_3394.jpg (40KB, 302x226px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3394.jpg
40KB, 302x226px
>>998237
They aren't brush hogs. They are crawdads with lots of long appendages. With that Junebug color, if you run those fuckers through some underwater grass or along a muddy bottom, the bass can't resist the dangling antennae and shit.

But Culprit makes some good baits. They have some fat curly tail worms in cool colors that work bretty gud. My only problem is that the plastic isn't super durable so you have to rig em right and swap them out when they get damaged otherwise they will slide around on the hook.
>>
>>998237
Everything is a meme lure

>>998233
They had the flipping craws. Didn't see any slims. How do you rig them when you use them? I might just Texas rig them like I do for brush hogs.
>>
>>998244
yes, but that frog must be fished underwater
>>
>>998230
I know I just didn't want to break it to you that it wouldn't have any action and be kinda goofy.

>>998246
They're brush hog knockoffs man...
>>
>>998250
Im sorry Ive lost you. Are we still talking about hollow body frogs? if you add enough weight so that they go under water they wouldn't have any action and would just kinda plow through the water doing more harm than good
>>
>>998252
Yes that is what im concerned about. If you bottom fish it, the frog will float up above where the weight is. So weight would have to be put in the frog itself.

Then the swimming action might be just plain, which can be good maybe?
>>
>>998247
Just regular Texas rigs. Just make sure you get the hook lined up all right. Idk what the flippin ones are but the Incredi-Slims are the exact same size and design just the main body where you put the hook is thinner. 4/0 or 5/0 EWG will work gud with those. I just like the slims because that same 4/0 will stick out more when a fish grabs it.

>>998252
>brush hog knockoffs
I don't think brush hogs are even copyrighted or whatever by one brand. Strike King makes them too. And Brush Hogs are great but the Incredi-Craws™ are somethin speshul.
>>
>>998260
>Idk what the flippin ones

Sorry, I mean't the punching ones.
https://www.culpritstore.com/catalog3/index.php/3-incredi-punch-green-pumpkin-blue-flake-8ct.html

Have you ever rigged them on a weighted EWG? I've been using Missile D Bombs on weighted EWG's with success, they slowly flutter down horizontally unlike when texas rigged. I'm sure these will look great with all of the flapping appendages.
>>
crap i got a tangle in my fishing line... do I need to just cut it out...
>>
>>998347
just cut it... 20 yards lost :/
>>
>>998352
id recommend tying them back together with a knot. Anyone else?
>>
help
>>997755
me
>>997755
with
>>997755
this
>>997755
please
>>997755
lads
>>
>>998354
is it okay to have knot going around your spinner?
>>
>>998363
see if theres any place that sells a pflueger president combo in ML.
>>
>>998363
Check
>>998363
The
>>998363
OP
>>998363
M8
>>
>>998259
what swimming action are you trying to mimic? i think youre underestimating the action on those plastic frogs + weighted hook. my biggest bass was on a keitech noisy flapper.

>>998354
>>998366
yes. i had to do it when i lost a bunch of line. i did used a double uni and it was fine

what line are you using?
>>
>>998375
braid

I double uni'd it together it seems to be strong enough

I hope it holds tho
>>
>>998374
>OP post

newfag scumbag
>>
File: big bite.jpg (16KB, 302x226px) Image search: [Google]
big bite.jpg
16KB, 302x226px
>>998375
Ill consider that. Atm i think using these would be a good idea like the frogs.
I cant wait to hit the river again for big smallies and everything else in there. But atm will focus on trout when its good in upper rivers
>>
>>997154
Of course, the more braid you buy the more money he gets.

It's true though that you won't experience any slippage with the rubber though.
>>
File: 1473108374481.jpg (8KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
1473108374481.jpg
8KB, 250x242px
>>997123
>tfw you find a spot that is underfished and also full of lunkers

What private property sign?
>>
>>997289
My fishing backpack is always in my car. Only keep stuff I plan to use, the bulk of it all is kept in the tackle boxes in the garage. Basically have a jerkbait, 2 crankbaits, assorted jigs and then worm hooks+plastics and t-rig weights. The rest of the space is usually used for beer or camping gear.
>>
>>997715
Palomar was the first knot I learned and I still love it but once I learned the improved clinch knot I tend to prefer that sometimes, on mono at least. Palomar can be a pain in the ass to tie on really light line, and a total pain in the ass when you're ice fishing and have cold hands. I'll sometimes go with a regular clinch knot if conditions are really harsh and I just want to get a lure on without losing my temper.
>>
>>997820
Baby Brush Hogs all day. I've turned so many people onto the baby brush hogs, they're like the perfect plastic in my opinion. They can do anything.
>>
>>998259
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrGL7-UUGE4
>>
ewie >_<

just caught a bunch of worms in the garden
>>
>>998393
it was bs i had tons of slippage
>>
>>998440
That was probably the drag slipping.
>>
>>998405
Baby brush hogs in Sprayed Grass are bretty dank homie

>>998396
>sorry officer, I came in that way and didn't see any sign!
>no hablo ingles!

Actually don't say that second part, this is Trump's America.

>>998363
Pflueger President 30 on whatever rod you like nigger. Or if you can find an Abu Cardinal STX or whatever spinning combo for that size/price. Lots of Lew's combos for that money too but difficult to find a ML. Might just be best off with a M that has slower action and likes to cast 1/8oz stuff.
>>
>>998450
Sprayed glass is dank
>>
>>998459
Grass**
>>
>>997083
Nabbed a footlong bass today with my Rapala original in Hot Steel. Only problem? It jumped out of the water and with a flick of the neck snapped my line and took my lure.
>>
is there some kind of attachment for my backpack i can buy to carry and extra rod back there?
>>
>>998462
You need some PowerPro™
>>
>>998465
Just get some velcro straps and tighten it on
>>
>>998363
Fenwick eagle
>>998439
Man up
>>998465
I just put my rods in pieces in my backpack. I suppose you could buy Velcro and put the handle in your cup holder then usw thw velcro strap to strap it to a part of your pack
>>
>>998466
I have Trilene on currently. Poorfag desu, so I can't get a new rod and my babby 5 footer can't handle much more than 8 pound test. Should I switch from mono to fluoro?
>>
My state has a website dedicated to fishing and outdoors.

It has most of the states lakes and rivers etc and tells you how you can access the water.

Ramp is obvious
Bank access is obvious
Pier is obvious

But one says carry down only. It's probably a stupid question, but what does that mean?

Like you can only get in by carrying a kayak? Like theres no ramp?
>>
>>998479
i did man up i got like 10 worms.....
>>
>>998483
Post link and I will look into it but it is probably a non trailer launch ramp.
>>
>>998484
Like keep them in lightly dampened dirt with a couple of corn nibblets in the refrigerator.
>>
File: The_Diva.jpg (47KB, 431x319px) Image search: [Google]
The_Diva.jpg
47KB, 431x319px
>>998483
carry down is usually a dirt ramp that you cant back a vehicle down so its for inflatables and kayaks ect...things you can carry or roll to the water without a vehicle.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (56KB, 1169x279px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
56KB, 1169x279px
>>998486
>>
>>998492
cool. i have a kayak so that works out perfectly
>>
>>998488
i was just gonna leave them outside in some potting soil since it's still pretty cool here and im gonna try to use them tomorrow

i hope they don't escape my tupperware...
>>
Question guys, is rain fishing a thing? Like is it better to go fishing in the rain? Or is that just a meme?
>>
>>998496
i think i read topwater is better in the rain because the fish are disturbed and moving around
>>
>>998496
Yes and no. It sometimes gets them feeding and hitting top water also.
>>
>>998493
Judging by this I am sticking to this as the answer >>998492
>>
omg something tried to get in to my worm container

my mom doesn't want me to put it in the fridge tho :/
>>
>>997289
4 rods, cast net, buckets, and tackle stay in the back of my jeep all the time. Some weeks I even drive around with my kayak on top just in case.
>>
spiderwire gets good reviews pretty much everywhere dunno why everyone here seems to hate on it
>>
File: 2017-04-22_00-54-54.png (53KB, 799x852px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-22_00-54-54.png
53KB, 799x852px
does this mean I can or I can't keep bass right now

>1er avril 2017 to 31 mars 2018
>other species no limit
>>
>uglystik sucks
https://youtu.be/aQuJUbAQJ58
>>
>>998544
>June 16, 2017 to march 31, 2018
>Bass limit 6

Specific rules override general rules.
>>
>>998555
k I just wanted to make sure

so I can basically only feed my cats catfish or something if I manage to catch one
>>
>>998555
>Cut short

So if the general rule (all other species) is not currently overriding the specific rule (limit 6) then you go with the general rule.

So catch those bass.
>>
>>998558
wait so I can catch unlimited bass until juin 16?
>>
>>998559
By what it says there you can unless there is more to the rules than what I am seeing. Is the rule book in English? If you have a link I can look it over tommarow when I wake up and see if it has clarifications.
>>
>>998563
http://www.mffp.gouv.qc.ca/english/publications/online/wildlife/fishing-regulations/general-regulations/catch-possession-limits.asp
http://peche.faune.gouv.qc.ca/?lang=en#saison=17+zone=8

the quebec website sucks and is complicated compared to the ontario one but I think you're right, otherwise stripped bass would be fishable but they're definitely not

I don't think taking one fish would really count as poaching anyways
>>
>>998553
>virtual indestructibility doesnt equate to quality
If youre looking for a broom stick with eye guides to drag in 80+ pound fish buy a broomstick with eye guides.
Other than that an ugly stick is only good as baby's first rod because it wont get broken- it lacks the sensitivity and action to use lures effectively
>>
>>998565
Texas has a general rule for flounder (5 limit) and a specific rule of (2 limit from Nov. 1 to Dec. 14). Due to massive over fishing they are partially protected during their spawning times. I suspect that this is the case for bass in your area.
>>
>>998568
thanks for the help
>>
>>998571
Zone 25 has specific dates for keep walleye under a certain size. This reinforces my thought that if bass had a limit out side of that time frame then it would be noted as prohibited.
>>
File: 20170421_182017.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170421_182017.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
Went fishing today for the first time here what we caught
>>
File: IMG_0607.jpg (286KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0607.jpg
286KB, 1200x900px
>>998596
nice muskie

>>998567
this fish was caught on a ugly stik jigging version
>>
File: 20170421_191001.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170421_191001.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>998598
My gf caught a catfish
>>
>>998599
nice gf (male)
>>
>>998598
>that fish was on an ugly stik
Are you sure? Because the rod hes posing with is not only broken, and missing the trademark twist at the bottom, but it also seems to have a daiwa logo on it.
The rod on the left also isnt an ugly stik, its a penn international, and lastly, the rod to the right has exactly 0 traits of an ugly stik.
Come back with better bait, and fuck yourself with it.
>>
>>998620
>Come back with better bait, and fuck yourself with it.

It is a pic of a broken shimano trevala, this is some mega bait.
>>
>>998599
Ask her how that cat felt
>>
>>997083
whats a good rig to fish for trout using mealworms in a lake?
i was catching my limit erryday with floating powerbait on a slip sinker, but all the sudden they just completely stopped hitting it. ran into the dude who showed me how to catch em on powerbait earlier in the season on the way out. he was still catching em on meal worms, but i forgot to ask what rig he was using. i'm thinking i just stick with the slip sinker, put a meal worm on with just enough powerbait to make it float.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>998543
I dig it

>>998598
That's also a fish you don't really need sensitivity for...
>>
goddamn i hate fishing with niggaroos. i'd say a cat 1 chimpout happened last night at a pier.

two of them nearly got into a fight and started ooking and eeking because one of them got their lines tangled and couldn't get them out and was pissed because he lost a "fo dolla lure".
>>
>>998744
Saltwater pier?
>>
>>998745
Yep.
>>
>>998742
>okuma

*leans back*

*deeply inhales*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>998745
Was this fo dolla lure a gotcha plug? I'm so glad theres barely any dindu's at my local pier.
>>
File: image.jpg (237KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
237KB, 720x1280px
>>998747
oh look it's the anon who never post any fish or his setups
>>
>>998742
Is that reel new?

And is that the camo blue spiderwire?
>>
>>998751
Yee Walmart had it for ~$45 with free shipping and the msrp is $80 so I figured I'd try it. I really dig it.

And yeah it's 20lb spiderwire. I was gonna do 15, but cabelas didn't have any and I really wanted to use it. I'm gonna order 15lb when this starts to get low.

Even with the 20lb it cast the 1/10th shrooms jig + little craw trailer more than far enough for creek fishing.
>>
>>998567
I kind of agree but the gx i got for my wife is really good for the money. I actually prefer it over alot of my other setups but i think thats mostly because its setup where itll cast about 40 yds. I just use it for top water like torpedo and bait soaking though
>>
>>998744
>fo dolla lure
always exagerating....
I bet he only payed tree fitty
>>
and they are mere miles away. Should start to arrive today or tomorrow.
>>
>>998786
I've never caught stripers before. Do they fight hard?
>>
>>998786
added my location.....
>>
>>998789
They can. Schoolies are like shooting fish in a barrel. They are voracious feeders and will go after damned near anything. Over 18 fight like mutherfukkers. Over 30" grab and scream drag at first trying to escape.
It's quite the adrenaline surge when you 1st hit a biggun.
>>
File: IMG_4884.jpg (170KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4884.jpg
170KB, 640x480px
I did some volunteer work today and helped wade in the river and pull out some tires, along with all the other shit in the trash bags around the floodplain.
>>
>>998889
Proud of you anon
>>
>>998889
I do this at the eno river occasionally. You can find some crazy shit. We found a 3 liter bottle full of clean syringes.
>>
Spiderwire or Trilene? Going for 10-15 lb Fluorocarbon
>>
>>998906
Seagaur
>>
>>998907
This
>>
>>998889
Why do people dump them in the river?
Just send them to a recycling plant
>>
>>998889
Than q anon
>>
don't think I got even a single bite today

also lost my minnow spoon and a jig and like 30 yards of braid :/
>>
File: 1490636858236.png (40KB, 152x254px) Image search: [Google]
1490636858236.png
40KB, 152x254px
>>998929

Some days are shitty. Last week I couldn't catch shit and the fucking boaters speeding by every 5 minutes doesn't help.
>>
>>998929
I had a slow couple of weeks right after that pre-spawn frenzy ended. I'm guessing they went and found beds and if you don't go search those out, it's hopeless.

But also high pressure and shit can slow em down where they aren't actively hunting. Or the entire summer for me down here with hot water. Only chance to catch bass would be to run a finesse bait right past their face with the perfect action. Otherwise go right at dusk when they might be hunting a little or wait for a good pressure front.
>>
what are some decent polarized lenses i can get for under 50 buckeroos

what tint would u guys recommend? i was thinking blue cuz in HS they used to call me the iceman
>>
>>998889
Jesus fuck, [F] doing the Lords work.
>>
>>998889
Good job senpai
>>
>>998991
Lel whichever looks good and is actually polarized. For fishin glasses, I probably reccommend a pair that aren't super dark since I always wear mine while fishing on cloudy days and dusk and I don't like to take them off until it's time to break out the headlamp.
>>
File: revo.jpg (192KB, 1132x898px) Image search: [Google]
revo.jpg
192KB, 1132x898px
Is this a good beginners memecaster?
>>
>>999014
Thing about not too dark is that when you need the shade from a sunny day, the sun and water reflection can be right in your eyes and light sunglasses wont be good
>>
What's your favorite football jig guys?
>>
are those cheap ultralight shakespeare rod and spincast reel combos good enough for panfish? If not, I'll probably get an ultralight daiwa spinmatic rod plus some cheaper spinning reel.
>>
>>999016
Can't go wrong. Super light so get a decent rod and you will love the feel.

But I will say this, I do find mine a little unforgiving. Not sure if others have the same experiences with the Revo line or other memecasters that aren't cheap shit. When you have the brakes and tension set properly and you get the casting motion down, it casts great. But if you have a shitty cast or leave the brakes too low while casting into the wind, you will have problems. The cheaper reels don't feel nearly as nice when you do everything right, but they are a little more forgiving.

Like I said, this might just be me being crazy but my best guess is it's because of the lighter spool and internals and shit. With a cheaper and heavier one, there is more momentum in the spool and spinning parts and the parts aren't so smooth and free.

Dick's had a $20 off coupon this weekend. But I ordered my Revo Sx from eBay for like $115 I think. Just make sure it's a reputable seller. This vendor actually had a big website with tons of stuff and must post a few items on eBay either to clear stock faster or let people know about their store.
>>
Poorfag here, Would pic related be decent enough or is it shit? My area is only trouts and smallish pike so I'm not going for anything that big.
>>
>>999037
Every spinning reel is basically designed the same so it's not like it won't work. Hopefully the drag is smooth. I just like to avoid plastic parts with the cheap stuff You can buy a Sienna, Cardinal, or one of those Okumas for $30 so why not get metal? But either way they should all cast about the same.

Probably just my preference but with the UL if I were to buy a combo, I would try and make sure I like the rod. With those light lures, having the perfect action will make or break the casts. I have a 5' UL Ugly Stik that I used forever and I actually swapped it out for this other cheap Shakespeare UL rod I had laying around because I got tired of the zero-action fiberglass Ugly Stik.

>>999016
Also Dick's had the Revo S on sale for like $80-$90. I think the Revo line may be getting a slight update soon because they rarely go on sale but I have seen them for cheaper quite a bit the past month or two. Just sayin you could probably save $30-$50 on whichever reel you decide on if you keep an eye out for sales.

Also it's your first memecaster so idk if you care, but the Revo SX only has magnetic brakes, no centrifugal system. Revo S for slightly cheaper has centrifugal brakes but no magnetic. Revo STX for $199 had magnetic and centrifugal.

Not sure what the real benefits are of each but my Lew's has magnetic and centrifugal and I always just use the magnetic brakes and it seems to work fine. I leave the centrifugal brakes off. Like the Revo line, you adjust the magnetic brakes with a knob on the side of the reel but you have to remove the side plate to adjust the centrifugal brakes.
>>
>>999044
Bruh... see: >>999045

Shimano Sienna reels are $30 everywhere. Plastic reels like that seem so cheap and flimsy. Abu Garcia Cardinal reels are all like $30-$50, the Okuma Stratus V at Dick's is $30-$40, and Pflueger Trion for $40 as well seems to be a solid choice.
>>
I threw a texas rigged worm again, but nada.
It's hard to train with fishing this thing if I cant get any bites :(

>>999046
is the Shimano Sienna the same reel dicks always has on sale for like 30$ ? It's pretty obvious to me that that reel's price is no where near it's original listing.
>>
>>999048
If the water is still cooler, maybe you will have better luck with spinners or hardbaits. Spring was always a good time for me to run hardbaits and bigger spinnerbaits and then swap to Texas rigged worms in the summer when the water gets really warm and the bass slow down.

Are you fishing a good spot? Like have you caught fish there before with other baits but they won't hit the worms? Only other suggestion is maybe try something with more of a presence like the lizards or brush hogs or some sort of crawdad.

And the Sienna is always $30 basically everywhere. It's just a simple reel but will be much better than that plastic one and it's only like $10 more.

The Okuma Status V is the white reel at Dick's that is $39 and sometimes goes down to $29 which is a steal. But for the past year or so, that Okuma reel always has a clearance tag on it claiming they are $70-$80 at full retail price. I'm not sure what the deal is. That Stratus V is a Dick's exclusive so maybe they built millions of them and originally sold them for $80 but they didn't move well so Dick's still has a warehouse full of them and the past year and a half they are selling em for $40 to try and get rid of them.

FWIW, I have taken apart my Okuma and it's not super fancy like some $200 reel but I think they are def worth more than $30 (the sale price they often have). No exotic materials but they are light, look good, and are really really smooth compared to other spinning reels in that price range. I have the "25" size and it's a great ML size with 10lb braid that works for anything from bluegill up to big bass and good sized snakeheads. I still want to grab at least one more when it goes on sale for $30 again because I like it so much.
>>
>>999054
The water has been cooling down a bit compared to some of the sunny and warm days we've been having last week. Still I heard multiple splashes on the top water, but since it's a canal it often occurred out of my focus. So it's warm enough for that activity.

Is it bad to fish finesse when the conditions are pretty active? I know a guy crushed 4 pickerel on crankbaits around the canal so you're right that active lures could have produced.
>>
>>998991
Bass pro brand glasses in green. The green tint is suppose to help you see better in muddier water.

>>999040
Dem nicer bearings tho. I pretty much run all my memecasters with the spoil tension loose enough so that spool doesn't move side to side but not any tighter. Then I leave 2 centrifugal brakes on and adjust the magnetic ones for the conditions. If I'm flipping I have all the brakes off.

When I started doing this I basically had to relearn how to cast, but it helps so much with light baits.
>>
File: epa-homer-simpson.png (401KB, 838x348px) Image search: [Google]
epa-homer-simpson.png
401KB, 838x348px
>>998620
its a ugly stik speed jigging rod. pic is from a forum of people showing off extreme ugly stik catches. 3 others on the forum were on the same boat. stick to catching bluegill dog boy instead of trying to pass off your gay ass insults on a typewriter repair forum.
>>
>>999065
I mean when the fish are active, they will still take the finesse lures. But the bass that is looking for a meal 20' away in muddy water, he won't even notice the little Texas-rigged finesse worm but he will be able to hear the big spinnerbait or Rat-L-Trap and will come running for it.

Then when the warm water comes or whatever condition that slows the fish down, they likely won't go for the big spinnerbait because they are lazy and not trying to chase what looks and sounds like a school of baitfish. But if a slow moving worm comes crawling across the bottom right in front of them, they will gladly take the easy snack.
>>
>>998889
+1
>>998914
>Why do people dump them in the river?
$$$$$ to dispose of properly.
>>998907
agreed
>>999044
I've had shimano rear drags that have lasted for decades. For what you're targetting it should be fine. Spend your savings on a good rod.
>>
>>999111
God danm fucking sams zss club fucking fetting thrm shill bucks.
>>
How likely is it to catch a shark with shrimps? I'm guessing someone along the lines of almost impossible, but just curious.
>>
>>999081
Except I saw the same forum post faggot and it is not even a Shakespeare.>>998695
>>
>>999209
In 30ish years of fishing I havr Don it twice. V
Both where under 2'
>>
>>999217
Cool I wouldn't want to catch one much bigger honestly kek.

But I'm going to the Corpus next weekend and one night I wanna just kinda chill on the beach and throw a line out.
>>
>>999217
Jesus. Are you like 80?
>>
>>997486
It's shocking he hasn't hung himself
>>
>>999016
>everyone missed the tabs
>>
>>999217
Heya Zürich how's the antibiotic/probiotic/thrush balance holding up?
>>
>>997281
>>997140
ded nee girl
>>
lost my friggin squarebill crankbait to a bush 4 feet off shore

couldn't take my shoes off to go get it because there was some broken glass around :/
>>
>>999081
>tfw he still doesn't have any better bait
>>999209
Bonnet head sharks like crustaceans, but for the most part its fish or nothing
>>
File: 1471486169018.gif (4MB, 700x298px) Image search: [Google]
1471486169018.gif
4MB, 700x298px
>>999354
>He doesn't wear waders
>>
>>999342
All good finished off the last of the pills yesterday morning. No thrush and I took/ate a fuck ton of probiotics
>>
>>999207
Even worse than the GX2 combos

>>999290
There are a lot of people on 4chan who think I am black and/or 50 years old.
>>
>>999290
>>
>>999429
Stop pretending to be young and white.
>>
>>999432
>and beautiful
>>
I'm new to fishing and looking to get two new rods and reels, one for me and my wife. I've scanned the links in the OP but is there one that you guys would recommend above the others? My budget is $200, so $100 a piece but I definitely wouldn't mind spending less.
>>
File: PalomarKnot.gif (21KB, 435x221px) Image search: [Google]
PalomarKnot.gif
21KB, 435x221px
>>997083
How am I supposed to tie a Palomar on clothespin spinners?

Even on little Beetle Spins I can never get the fucking loop big enough.
>>
>>999451
More line nigger.

And when you close it up, just pull on the end going back to the rod so you don't have to cut off a 20" tag.

>>999449
Pflueger President combos are always great, they will last for years and years and normally run about $100. There is a pink one for the wife too if you really want.

But any of the major brands, especially if you are getting spinning reels, you really can't go wrong. Shimano, Abu, Pflueger, Okuma, Daiwa, Lew's, etc...
>>
>>999458
She would kill me if I bought her a pink one...

Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>999048
The nexave is always on sale
>>
>>999397
I think it'd be neat to catch a little shark, but I wouldn't know what to do with a big one. Especially considering I'm planning on fishing at night with bait.

>>999424
>he doesn't wear short shorts and old tennis shoes

>>999451
Like Bepis said make a bigger loop. Use your pinky or something to keep the loop open so it doesn't get all twisted when you pull it closed. Just pull on the main line nice and slow and don't forget to lubricate.
>>
>>999461
Buy her one that is black and bigger.
>>
>ugly stik fight again
I fished with ugly stiks for several years and consistently limited out on flounder and speckled trout using mostly suspending twitch baits and jigs. They were perfectly sensitive enough for me, especially the casting rods which are much stiffer. That said I now have some fast shimano rods that are much more enjoyable to fish with but if you can get a good deal on an ugly stick there's no reason why you shouldn't, they REALLY aren't as bad as people around here say they are.

>>999469
I typically just cut my line when I get a shark. They're fun as hell to fight and cool to look at but they writhe around a lot and are incredibly strong for their size. Those 30-40 inch ones will bite the shit out of you if you hold their tail and they whip around so unless you plan on keeping a small black tip or something (you should, they're fuckin delicious) just cut your line after the fight and make sure you're using non stainless hooks.
>>
>>999524
>Ugly Stiks again
I agree, the casting rods do seem a bit better but they are still fiberglass and really heavy so they don't balance for shit.

And it's not that they are bad, but you even said it youself that other rods with real action are so much more enjoyable to fish with. And you can get decent graphite rods with actual action and sensitivity for the same price as Ugly Stiks. If you are just casting a nightcrawler under a bobber, they are fine. But when trying new lures and trying to get a good action on jerkbaits or finesse soft plastics, Ugly Stiks are kinda terrible.
>>
>>999541
I really love the grips on ugly stiks, no other rod I've found has had a similar handle. They're a little bit heavier than most rods but I definitely get more wrist fatigue casting with my other rods because of the awkward way you've got to hold them.

You can still get pretty good action with stiks also but it's harder to "feel" what your bait is doing so if you're using something new you've really got to try it out in some clear water where you can see how it's reacting to your twitches and shit or if you're using a spinner bait you can't feel if the blades are turning. Bite sensitivity is perfectly fine in most situations but I've definitely noticed my catch rate go up for things like flounder which have notoriously soft bites so someone wanted to do a lot of cold water fishing or to target softly biting fish I definitely wouldn't recommend one.

Most stuff is better but you can find those things absolutely dirt cheap and they last forever. I've had the same gx2 combo for years and have used it in saltwater several times a week with a spray of wd/40 into the reel being the only maintenance. For someone trying to get into fishing who won't be going often or fishing for 12 hours a day they're priddy gud and not deserving of the hate they get I think.
>>
>>999555
Checked.

And the Ugly Stil GX2 combos are the only ones that come with the actual $40 rod. Those other starter kits are even worse. The $50 GX2 combo is only $10 more than the rod alone because the reel is complete plastic trash. I mean they will still last a couple years of moderate use, but those reels just give me zero confidence.

If somebody buys a GX2 combo, they will want to upgrade the reel as soon as they really get into fishing which is why I tell people to stay away from those combos. And if you want a better reel, you have to buy them seperate and the Ugly Stik GX2 rod is $40, but so is the Berkley Lightning Rod Shock which feels so much better. And for $10-$20 more, you get a ton more options like the Fenwick Eagle or some decent store brand rods or those No 8 rods that have been on sale.

If the GX2 combos came with a decent reel or the GX2 rod alone was like $20, I would tell beginners to go for it and then upgrade when they start running more lures. But the combo is $50 and for $10-$20 more you can get something that is much more rounded and the rod itself is $40 and you can get other rods for the same price that feel wayyyyy better.

I guess the grip thing is preference, but you can always find the full handle grips in other graphite rods. I don't mind the split grips on everything these days tho since I always hold the rod right by the reel seat.
>>
File: Angry Fishermen Compilation.webm (3MB, 400x226px) Image search: [Google]
Angry Fishermen Compilation.webm
3MB, 400x226px
>>999541
I've used everything from solid metal rod poles (square rods!) to Ugly Stiks to chartered high tech baitcasting rigs that cost more than your yearly boxes of faggots added together. I've found that the rod really doesn't matter at all. You can get the same results using shit bamboo or handlines, kid.
>>
>>999564
Those no8 rods seem to have tons of QC issues based on the reviews. Almost got one but was scared away
>>
File: IMG_3659.png (621KB, 607x608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3659.png
621KB, 607x608px
>>999569
Top notch shitpost
>>
>>999573
Yeah the one anon down by me bought one a couple weeks ago. Used it once, I actually tried it, felt really good and light, but then he noticed it was missing an eyelet or something and had to send it back.
>>
File: image.jpg (96KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96KB, 1280x720px
>>999569
Top quality bait, friend
>>
>>999576
I don't get it. I'm just adding my expertise to the conversation. It really doesn't matter what your equipment is unless you are a subsistence fishermen on the ocean. Sport fishing has always been a high order meme, kid.
>>
>>999573
I got one two weeks ago and have already caught 20+ bass on it. Holding up great, I love the look and feel. When I showed it to my friend he said, "So you finally bought a nice rod like mine, huh?"

Difference is that he uses a $150 St. Croix. It was a solid purchase. If there's something wrong just send it back bro. I couldn't have seen myself getting a better deal for $50.
>>
File: image.png (166KB, 386x428px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
166KB, 386x428px
>>999580
>kid
>>
>>999587
It isn't a slur, calm down, sonny Jim.

>tfw "kid" is the easiest way to weed out the children on 4chan

Who knew...
>>
>>999591
You called it a slur, not me
>>
Ugly Stick Tigers are great rods for soaking bait and pier fishing in general. I've flipped 5 pound jacks over the pier railings with out any issues.
>>
File: image.jpg (800KB, 1636x3113px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
800KB, 1636x3113px
>>
>>999598
Sure thing, kid.
>>
>>999602
I've thought about getting an ultralight ugly stik to replace my lightest rod. They've basically got the same action
>>
>>999603
What reel is that on the left?
>>
File: setup.jpg (80KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
setup.jpg
80KB, 960x540px
>>999626
looks like a penn fathom 25n
>>
File: IMG_1314.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1314.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>999617
I wouldn't recommend it. I hate my UL Ugly Stik. That is where the action really, really hurts it. With the super light lures, you need a bit of that spring or sling shot type motion and that's what they lack.

Also that UL Ugly Stik rod is a few years old and I'm convinced that the action gets even worse on those rods as they get older and used more. Pic related, that's just holding the rod horizontal and showing how much the tip sags under the weight of the rod itself.
>>
>>999638
What this guy said. It's a great reel.
>>
>>999524
Yeah i think I'd probably cut the line on anything sizable. Getting bit sounds like a great way to ruin your weekend.

And I'll be with the grill so I don't think she'd like me keeping a shark because they're kinda cute. Seems like a big hassle also. I'll probably keep a few trout though.

>uglystiks
I think they'd be great in saltwater. The fish actually hit the lures hard. But when bass fishing I only know I had fish on when my line started moving. There's definitely better rods for the price sensitivity wise.

But if someone actually likes one I wouldn't tell them to stop using it, if it works it works.

>>999573
I've had one for over a year now that I've beat the shit out and it's holding up great. There's one guide that the epoxy is cracked on, but that's it. They're really solid rods if you get a good one. Especially for $50 from TW.

I have 3 so I feel like the QC issue is only some of them and that's who writes the reviews.
>>
>>999654
>that's who writes the reviews
Ehh, kinda true. The ones who don't have problems and are happy with their purchase aren't taking the time to write about it online.

But even then, if there are a lot of reviews saying there are issues, it means you might have a 2% chance of getting a bad one instead of a 0.02% chance. But still, for that $50 price tag it's a nice reel.

>tfw Dicks be too tempting
>Abu Garcia Revo S on sale for $80
>Abu Garcia Veritas 2.0 on sale for $80
>$20 off order of $100+
>Free Shipping
I really need to save my money for some other shit but goddamn that's tempting. It would be $250 plus shipping for the combo at regular prices but I could snatch it up for <$150 right now.
>>
File: moose.webm (947KB, 224x400px) Image search: [Google]
moose.webm
947KB, 224x400px
>>999654
you can still catch them though. theyre great fun and make soe sizzle drag burning runs. get them close and clip the line or just grab them by the tail and walk backwards up the beach, theyll try to nip at you once and a while but more often they just squirm around and eventually just lie there trying to breath. but like anon said cutting the line at the fish is the easiest method though.
>>
>>999654
Eat the shark.
>>
File: you dun goofed.jpg (222KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
you dun goofed.jpg
222KB, 960x960px
>>999654
>yfw: some stranger videos you catching a no take, no handle shark

pic related
>>
>>999889
what kind is it
>>
>>999673
Kek I bet my reels drag washers would be trashed after that the one I'm gonna use to soak bait is just a sienna

>>999719
Idk man shark is really tasty. I'll tell her the Internet made me do it.

>>999889
What's up with that dudes gills?
>>
>>999889
Damn. Did that guy really fucking rip the gill plates and head up on a baby great white shark? What an asshole.
>>
fuck niggers
>>
>>999953
Almost
>>
>>999924
>>999940
Looks more like an old wound.
>>
>>999970
Come on 310
>>
>>999978
Lel 9's for a new bread would be nice
>>
File: IMG_4869.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4869.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Chatter meme a best
>>
>>1000000
>>
File: IMG_0385.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0385.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
The Best™
>>
>>1000008
Ehh, playing with captchas ruined my chance.

New bread comin
>>
>>1000029
>>1000029
>>1000029
>>1000029

I wish I weren't driving and playing with Captchas when the GET event habbened
>>
File: 20150811_134632.jpg (915KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20150811_134632.jpg
915KB, 2048x1350px
>>999469
>neat to catch a little shark
Its not that hard
>7/0 circle hook
>steel trace
>2-6 oz of lead
>live fish 4-10 imches hooked near the tail, or cut bait (I like live cause crabs usually let it be)
>soak it at night
You'll get something sooner or later, and be sure to let him run long enough before you set the hook. Usually a shark or rsy will run for 5-30' seconds, stop and eat, then run again. Usually I let then run, take 10 seconds, lock down and start reeling.
The only thing is small sharks are either hyped and full of runs and are a lot of fun, or worse than bass for just letting you reel them in. Either way you'll get a nice picture to show your friends.

Also keep a wrag handy incase you hook a ray. When you land the ray, tie the towel over the barb while standing on the top of the tail, flip him over, get your hook, then un tie his tail when youre done
>>999524
>b-but ugly sticks work
No one said they didnt, but most people, once they use a nice rod, would never go back. An ugly stick works for fishing in the same way needle nose vice grips work for fly tying.
>>999602
This, I love my ugly stick tiger, because its indestructible. I'd never take it over a penn rod though
>pic related, little bull shark from a few years ago (6' 64 pounds)
>>999603
I wouldn't complain if handed that
>>999978
Good bait/10
>>1000037
Oh, im a bit late
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.